• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

qaqq2q2

Corporal
47 Badges
Aug 28, 2020
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
Let's make a wish list for vic3.

Suppose the next set of pdx is vic3, make a wish for it.

Attachments

• Victoria2_basegame_capsule.png
    Victoria2_basegame_capsule.png
    200,7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It should be a mix of other Paradox games.
-battles from Stellaris
-economy from CK3
-trade from CK2
-politics from HOI4
-monarch points from EU4

It should only have flavour pack DLC.
Oh and no pops.

• 10Haha
Reactions:
It should be a mix of other Paradox games.
-battles from Stellaris
-economy from CK3
-trade from CK2
-politics from HOI4
-monarch points from EU4

It should only have flavour pack DLC.
Oh and no pops.
That sounds like the best possible combination to chase away all of the existing Victoria series fans, in which case they would really need to change the name to make it painfully obvious that it's not REALLY a Victoria game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That sounds like the best possible combination to chase away all of the existing Victoria series fans, in which case they would really need to change the name to make it painfully obvious that it's not REALLY a Victoria game.
I tried my best to make this combination. :)
Yes, it's a joke.

In that case, you're about 4 days late with it. It's not April 1 anymore.
I didn't know jokes were not allowed outside April the 1st. :D

Reactions:
I didn't know jokes were not allowed outside April the 1st. :D
Normally, jokes are permitted outside of April 1, but we're not allowed to laugh at them on other days unless they include an appropriate emoji at the end.:p

Seriously, however, I wasn't entirely sure whether it was a joke or not, although I suspected it might have been. I've seen a lot of players ask for things which I would consider incomprehensible, or radically out of place in a particular game, like guns in a pseudo-medieval hack and slash game, or magic in a game revolving around Imperial Rome. I may not always assume the worst about people, but I tend to allow for that possibility.

Even more seriously, and in the spirit of the thread title, my wish for V3 (aside from the fact that it actually happens) is that they don't break the main points that made it a cult classic in the first place. We don't need another generic map-painter game.

Reactions:
There should be more map painting. No, really. The infamy system from Victoria II is way too harsh. Sure, it makes some sense that taking land in Europe is difficult/raises worries, but as it is now it makes taking anywhere near historic amounts of land elsewhere essentially not feasible.

Uncivilized land and colonies should be pretty cheap to take. The bigger caveat to such moves should be the reactions of competing powers in the region to you stepping on their toes.

Reactions:
There should be more map painting. No, really. The infamy system from Victoria II is way too harsh. Sure, it makes some sense that taking land in Europe is difficult/raises worries, but as it is now it makes taking anywhere near historic amounts of land elsewhere essentially not feasible.

Uncivilized land and colonies should be pretty cheap to take. The bigger caveat to such moves should be the reactions of competing powers in the region to you stepping on their toes.
I disagree. Perhaps the infamy based system should be replaced but I can't imagine a Victoria game revolving around map-painting. It would make the human player OP ( since you can get all the resources you'll ever need + colonial armies) and things like the Scramble for Africa or The Great Game become hard to implement. Also the timeline is shorter and while a Super Germany, GB are possible I can't imagine a timeline where Tibet is the global leading power because the player can use the flawed system. CK, EU, I:R ? It's possible but for me this happening in Victoria or Hoi would just ruin the games ( since it's clear it lacks balance and content).

I much preferred the CB system of EU3, where various CBs gave discounts on Infamy, bonuses on prestige gain, and so on. NO war should be able to be declared without at least a trivial amount of Infamy. The system for creating a CB in V2 leaves a lot to be desired, often making it painfully expensive to make moves which were historically done without a lot of international criticism, while making it essentially free to carry out other wars which should raise serious concerns in every nearby country.

The RNG is a powerful tool, but should practically NEVER be used as the primary determinant of events, rather than using it as a modifier to the primary factors in order to blur the lines between events happening or not. In other words, you go to war with a country with +100 reason to do so, you DO NOT go to war with a country where you have -100 or better reason for it, but the RNG should be able to tip the balance for those cases in the middle where an outcome is possible, but not certain.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I mainly play mods that improve the current system by adding custom casus bellies(Brothers' War, Imperialism), events, decisions and infamy reduction by tech. I'm sure it can be improved. I'm just worried they'll get rid of it entirely.

I already posted this in anothet Thread about Vicky 3 but right now this is what I worry about most regarding the game.
Accurately displaying how war changed over the years might be the absolutely biggest problem facing a potential Vicky sequel.

In the hundred years of time of the Victorian and Edwardian era the game is set in, warfare changed like never before. In the entire timeframe of eu4 from 1444 to 1821 the way wars were being fought arguably changed less than in Vicky's timeframe. You can display both a battle between Knights and men at arms, between pike and shot units and between Napoleonic infantry within the battle system of eu4's warscape engine. You couldn't do the same with ww1 style trench battles. This is not just about gradually adding new units like tanks, this is about a complete paradigm shift in how war is fought. You'd need a completely new combat system similar to the HOI franchise and I can't imagine how to implement both next to each other.

Then there's the problem of naval combat. Within 100 years ship building progressed from ships of the line to superdreadnoughts with several steps in between each completely outclassing what came before. Comparing a first rate ship of the line like the victory to let's say a superdreadnought like the USS Texas, you'll see that this is not just the same unit with one having significantly higher stats in combat prowess and range and speed. These ships are different in any way from the requirements to build to the requirements to operate them. They need completely different infrastructures to support them. A million victories could not defeat a battleship and a hundred Napoleonic era Britains could not sustain one. But the interesting thing here is that proportionally the building cost of a first rate ship of the line would have been a higher percentage of a country's budget than a dreadnought. How would you accurately reflect all of that?

I think a major argument against Vicky is that it's impossible to accurately simulate the progression of the means of war over this time. For the same reason as there shouldn't be a game encompassing the entire 20th century. Both on land and at sea the technology progresses so much so quickly that it cannot be depicted in a satisfactory manner. In my opinion the timeframe should be limited to before the 1880s. That way you can have the 1848 revolutions, the American civil war, Japanese boshin war, German and Italian unifications, Crimean war and so on, but it's still somewhat reasonable to depict these battles like eu4 or vicky2 does. My suggestion comes with the problem that there are no historical "great wars,, between multiple great powers on both sides. The game would revolve much more around simulating economy, politics, procurement of arms and technology and weapons development during the time of the global arms race. I'd have some ideas what a game like that should be like gameplay wise but that's Outside the scope of this reply. I don't think paradox would make a game as this as it would only satisfy the players looking for a historical simulation rather than battles and map painting. Maybe abstractions are somewhat needed to make the game enjoyable but I think a game that tries to please everyone, pleases no one and doesn't deserve the mantle of Victoria. Especially since the original was never about map painting and battles. Still, moving a dozens of stacks around like on eu4 does not do justice to the complicated battles of the world war and having this in a potential Vicky 3 would ruin the immersion for me. So imo the best course of action is to limit the timeframe to an era of set piece battles instead of trench warfare.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Personally, my biggest complaint with Vic 2 is the CB generation. Maybe there's a tech or political party influence on it, but it just feels totally random. I'm not sure how to improve it, but it can be pretty frustrating.

I just hope it will be a longer period if its gonna be Vicky 3.
Like, including the Napolenic wars, or atleast the 100 days rule. End date is fine as it is, could even go back a bit.
Because I find Napoleonic wars more related to the timeline than 1918-1936 period

POPs system is a must, and Vicky 2 one is not bad really. Just more info, it needs more info and more logic behind it.
Expanded politics, both internal and external. Should not be a map painter game, but also not restrict it heavily.

Better AI politics and diplomacy logic
And something I always wanted, dynamic treaties. Not only peace treaties, but treaties for anything.

We are great powers, let's make a treaty how much one of us is allowed to influence someone
We are great powers, Russia suddenly explodes in 1850's. Let's make a treaty of what are our goals there.

Etc etc..

Things i would like to be improved but not reworked:

-Taxes and budge
-Trade
-Pops

Things i would like to see reworked:

-Diplomacy and influence
-War
-Research

I really like the tax and budge, but i would love for it to have more depth, making it more complex allow for the player to better balance the budge.
Trade could also be improved, especialy when it comes down to tariffs. I think tariffs should give penalities and bonues, like if i set it to 100%, my capitalists will be more inclined to build factories, but their output will be low bcoz of no competition from imports or such.
The pops are great, it just needs more balancing and depth.

Now, Diplomacy is a pain in the ass. Too much micromanagement, and when you are trying to build sphere of influence you basicaly need to give it your full attention and the game bcomes just that since all other Global powers will make sure to mess with your sphere...
War is too simple... I can see how dificult it would be to have a mechanic that will change every 40 years, but if the game plays in the 19th century, i can't see other way than a more fluidic system, starting as a EU4 war mechanic and ending up being a HOI4 mechnic or something...
Research should be reworked bcoz it just don't make much sense, you spend years researching one single thing while everything else is stuck years in the past... Perhaps a more HOI4 aprouch would be better. Like higher literacy gives more reaserch slots, and the tecnologies should be expanded.

I would be happy with those changes.

I'd like to see research as something you assign relative amounts of points to (like setting priorities for Influence), but you wouldn't know exactly how many points it would take to research the next tech, because that "goal" amount would have some random element to it, such as needing somewhere between 3000 and 3500 points. Basically, it's done whenever it's done, not on a schedule. Give us info, but not exact figures where possible.

I think a major argument against Vicky is that it's impossible to accurately simulate the progression of the means of war over this time. For the same reason as there shouldn't be a game encompassing the entire 20th century. Both on land and at sea the technology progresses so much so quickly that it cannot be depicted in a satisfactory manner.
I disagree, I think they were on the right track with Vicky 2, the only issue as the direction they balanced it along.

In Vicky 2, you start with a system that is pretty good at simulating single concentrated point line battle technology of the Napoleonic era, and end with that same system but with some tweaks such as combat width that are meant to account for the shift to frontline based combat.

I think a much better system would be something that is instead anchored at the end, a frontline based system, but with tweaks for the start so that it can function adequately in the earliest decades when armies were better concentrated at single points. The frontline functionality would always be there, but the AI would simply not start spreading its forces out until it had exhausted the limits of combat efficiency from concentrating. This really only requires 2 major differences then in a potential Vicky 3:

1) Drop in the Hearts of Iron frontline system into the combat
2) Create an AI that knows to only spread forces out once a concerted push is no longer as efficient.

The first is simple and the second task in theory should already have been accomplished in HOIV. The AI in that game should be capable of stacking up its forces at a single point when that is necessary for a breakthrough, instead of spreading its forces over every province. In theory, you could instruct it to gauge whether additional forces increases chance of victory in a battle substantially, and if not, to simply split off forces and move them on the flank. Once armies are big enough, this will happen repeatedly in a "Race to the Sea," resulting in frontlines of any size between Napoleonic, late Civil War, and WW1.

At sea it isn't much different. Make the game functions for a WW1 navy but leave most of them unused at first. Ships becoming obsolete is not the special circumstance of this period, and the AI can learn to keep wooden ships away from dreadnoughts in the same way it keeps convoys out of the way of battleships, uneven technology is a normal part of naval combat in the modern era. As for the particular naval tactics used, the games hardly reflect this level of detail to begin with, so it doesn't require much more than modifiers to reflect the earlier battle formations.

This is coming from the POV of someone who could never love Victoria 2 as much as I wanted to. and haven't touched in 3 or 4 years. For me a key feature of this period in both European and World politics is political instability and revolutions. Indeed I think that you might want to tick the start date back a couple decades to include the South American Wars of independance. So far it's been tacked on the end of EUIV, which makes sense as a game that is thematically about the formation of modern nation states, but also I think never really made much sense within that games mechanics.

Others have mentioned a more involved political system which I agree with, but I'd like the devs to consider including something like the spanish civil war content in HoI4, where you chose a side internal to a nation and have to act through decisions, and eventually, open warfare, in order to pursue your revolutionary or reactionary aims. Events like the Meiji Restoration, the 1857 Indian Rebellion, US Civil War, various Springtime of Nations revolutionary moments, and obv the Russian Revolution(s), may be able to be simulated in this way?