• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone and welcome back to regular weekly dev diaries (if you don't count the april fools one last week). I know you are all super excited to hear what we have been up to since Battle for the Bosporus. The answers to that are going to take a few dev diaries to cover, so I figured I would start with a timeline for you:
  • We recently released 1.10.4 to fix various multiplayer exploits going on, but seems an important case was not detected at the time so we are working on a 1.10.5 to address that soon.
  • Pdxcon is coming up in May so expect to hear some more details there.
  • The yearly anniversary is coming in June so expect some cool stuff and a patch.
  • We are however spending most of our time on the 1.11 Barbarossa update as well as the unannounced expansion that will be released together with it. That's what we will spend most of our diaries on, as well as today!

‘Barbarossa’ and the unannounced DLC will focus on the Eastern Front and the core of Hearts of Iron, which is warfare - particularly land warfare. Historically the Eastern Front was without doubt the most important front for World War II. It was the largest confrontation in history and
is where Hitler’s expansion was first stopped and pushed back signaling the eventual doom of the axis powers. There are several areas we want to improve here. Weather does not feel impactful enough, while historically it had a massive impact. Logistics currently doesn’t have much player interaction and is mostly something you have to deal with only when problems appear, and finally the combat and division meta has been stable (with an emphasis on large divisions) for a long time - something we hope we can shake up. As you can imagine, these are all things that affect the game on a deeper level and take a lot of work to get right.

Today, I’ll give you guys a bit of an overview on the supply aspect, but fair warning: it’s early days and stuff may still change here before we’re done. I’ll probably spend 3+ diaries on supply over the course of the development to cover everything, but I figured it would be nice to hear about the overarching ideas.

The old system worked by having discrete supply areas pathing back to the players capital and keeping track of the bottlenecks. To simplify a bit ;) - those bottlenecks then decided how many units could fit into areas near the front without penalties. The areas themselves were unintuitive to players and required you to check multiple mapmodes to see if you stepped over an edge etc. I do like bottleneck systems though, because feedback is usually immediate, but it suffered from not having much scaling cost as distances increased, so it was hard to use it to limit snowballing. As I mentioned it was also a system you didn't care too much about until you had problems, while historically, logistics was a vital part of planning a campaign. This led to combining the issue with another gripe of ours - that the way fronts moved in WW2 often followed important railroads, but don't really in HOI4. We came to the conclusion that we should try and make a system focused on railways and with a truck based component as a way to get more out of it when away from the rails.

1617799554638.png

In our new system, supply flows from the capital (the total amount available depends on your total industrial base) through railways, where the level of the railway acts as a bottleneck. To transport more, you need a higher level railway (or a bigger port if it goes over water) so the railways are the current bottlenecks in a way. Depending on how much supply is transported you need a certain amount of trains for the rails to perform. Trains are a new equipment type that we will dig into in a future diary (well actually, several types ;P)

An important part of railways is that they are capturable, so as you push into enemy territory you will want to make sure to hold vital railways and capture railway hubs to supply your troops. There is a conversion time here to model the fact that there was usually some repair or re-gauging that needed to happen for attackers.

1617798271066.png

1617799689604.png

Mapmodes are still quite WIP ;)

Rivers also had a huge importance on the eastern front for transport and supply so they will work essentially like basic railroads now, where you need to control both sides of their banks to use them to ship supplies around.

1617798407335.png

Supply is drawn from what we call Supply Hubs now, which are either cities, naval bases, or manually constructed stations along the rails, which have to be linked into the network. Air supply works a bit differently but we will talk about this in the future along with some other supply additions...

The flow of supply from a Hub to a division depends on the terrain/weather etc, and ideally you want to have available trucks here (which is to say, motorized equipment) to increase the amount of supply you get as well as range. Cost of trucks and trains and losses to attrition and bad weather will be a limiting factor on your logistics.

1617798787102.png

Overall, this creates a system where it's strategically sound to fight over railways, prepare for large offensives, to try and bleed each other's logistics capability and to force care when advancing in bad terrain and weather. The result is a much more fun, historical and immersive Eastern Front as well as adding a new layer of invasion planning in the rest of the world.

See you all next week for the next diary!

Last edited:
Very interesting DD.

Question, assuming you can attack enemy rail lines with aircraft, will there be changes to the air system so players are not playing whack a mole chasing enemy bombers as is required now with strategic bombing?
Not for this DLC, but its a thing I want to do when we get back to looking at air warfare. its too microey on the defense now imo

As a South American I`m pretty much resigned to the fact that we are not going to get a SA DLC anytime soon. But yes Iran would make sense to be included and the next smaller DLC would be Scandinavian focused.
My product manager is brazilian so there is not a day when he doesnt nag me for a south american pack actually ;D

Hey Hoi4 developers, when do you think we might get some focus tree dev diaries? Will you guys cover supplies first then move on to focus trees?
oh pretty soon. i like to mix some mechanics diaries in between focus tree diaries, also this time we are probably gonna split some of the focus tree diaries into two because they are quite large this time around.

Also guys, there is no Italy in this expansion. It really doesnt fit in with the rest and I am a bit surprised that people expected that it would be because we try and keep to themes or close areas (mexico is in MTG because its a neighbor of USA and someone really wanted to make mexico). I had some plans to include it in MTG because of italys naval connections but that DLC got too big with all the other majors in there so there was no room. Italy needs and deserves an expansion with a theme and other nations that supports it imo

Last edited:
  • 45Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Also guys, there is no Italy in this expansion. It really doesnt fit in with the rest and I am a bit surprised that people expected that it would be because we try and keep to themes or close areas (mexico is in MTG because its a neighbor of USA and someone really wanted to make mexico). I had some plans to include it in MTG because of italys naval connections but that DLC got too big with all the other majors in there so there was no room.
No problem, so long as you rework Poland ;)

• 7Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
They were modelled on historical maps (although finding good maps for 1936 specifically was a bit of a challenge, so I had to use maps from the late 20ies and early 30ies).
I added historical railroads for Turkey 1936 and beyond here, hope it helps at least for Anatolia.
As reference to Paradox this was Turkish railroad map in 1936:
Railroads connecting Sivas, Malatya, Erzurum wasn't completed but under construction in 36.
(Railroad to Antalya was never completed!)
View attachment 701701

map in 2018 shows railroads made through Ottoman era to 1950 (black and green ones)
View attachment 701703
Not big difference, I added only differences that in edited map here, boldened others: (added 1936-1950)
View attachment 701707

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not for this DLC, but its a thing I want to Also guys, there is no Italy in this expansion. It really doesnt fit in with the rest and I am a bit surprised that people expected that it would be because we try and keep to themes or close areas (mexico is in MTG because its a neighbor of USA and someone really wanted to make mexico). I had some plans to include it in MTG because of italys naval connections but that DLC got too big with all the other majors in there so there was no room.
Thank you for being open about it early on like this, setting things straight.

Reactions:
  • 20Love
  • 11Like
  • 8Haha
Reactions:
My product manager is brazilian so there is not a day when he doesnt nag me for a south american pack actually ;D
1617827469551.png

I will not rest until this is in the game. One day... one day...

• 19Like
  • 10Haha
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Excellent DD I appreciate your work !

Btw Since it's going to be a land warfare update. Should be expecting something in form of MTG tank designer or it will be decided yet?

Excellent DD I aprecciate your work !

Btw Since it's going to be a land warfare update. Should be expecting something in form of MTG tank designer or it will be decided yet?
I feel like I spoiled enough stuff for today feature wise ;D look forward to future diaries for more stuff

• 28Love
  • 11Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Wow, looks good! I wonder if you’ll be able to build new railroads, and if they’re province- or state-based.
Im assuming the railroads are state based (like it has been previously,) rivers which act like trains will be multi-province based, airports/naval bases/cities will still be province based and just as important as before as Supply Hubs. I wonder how much production we will be spending on expensive trains and extra trucks to get supply around if we lose them to attrition & if you look at the models on the maps we have bridges for rivers of course, but does that mean we can sabotage them in a retreat to cut loses and gain time to stop advancing armor... should be fun to see.

Great diary, a few questions. :)

1) Can supply hubs be captured and their stuff used against you?
2) Do supply hubs use general "Supplys", or will you manually decide on what to put in? Like 1 Hub for fuel near the front, 1 hub for tanks further back? Is there a Logistics screen for every hub then?
3) How deep of a performance hit will this new system cause?

Great to hear from you again, the only sad part is, that it will all be released after the june anniversairy, so Q3/Q4.....
I'm also wondering this too, it could be something akin to how equipped divisions are, except it's the distributors to the divisions. I hope it does hold actual equipment from your stockpile, as it looks like a fun mechanic to retreat your equipment if the enemy is coming up. Maybe there could even be supply congestion issues!

The game still needs other major updates, such as diplomacy/warscore overhaul (to make ahistorical fun), air warfare overhaul, research overhaul, and possibly even an economic overhaul later on after the major issues have been tackled with.
As for country packs, I think most likely they will do Scandinavia next, then followed either by South America, or middle-east countries.
air warfare and research overhaul?