Game is visible in Taskmanager but launcher won't start (XBOX Game Pass)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello,

I have also the same problem after updating to 1.3. Deactivating Windows Defender doesn't work either for me.
My cpatch is attached.
Is yours the Xbox/gamepass edition? Or some other one? I ask because i didn't think you could get the cpatch.log from the Gamepass one.

It is on game pass! Surviving Mars works like a charm btw.
Really ... where was the cpatch.log please? Are there other launcher logs there too?

Hi.
I had the same problem and also had Windows Defender active. For me it only worked when I turned off the 'Real-time Protection'. However, then the PC must be restarted with the 'Real-time Protection' turned off. After restarting, it automatically becomes active again for me and I turn it off again directly without doing anything else. After that I can start the game normally.
The summary is:
1. Windows Security->Virus & Threat Protection->disabled 'Real-time Protection'.
2. restart the computer
3. windows security->virus & threat protection->disabled 'Real-time protection
4. start the game

Hi.
I had the same problem and also had Windows Defender active. For me it only worked when I turned off the 'Real-time Protection'. However, then the PC must be restarted with the 'Real-time Protection' turned off. After restarting, it automatically becomes active again for me and I turn it off again directly without doing anything else. After that I can start the game normally.
The summary is:
1. Windows Security->Virus & Threat Protection->disabled 'Real-time Protection'.
2. restart the computer
4. start the game

Hey fabigal,
thanks i'll try it out later!
Quick question: Do you have auto start for the xbox app active?

Hi.
The summary is:
2. restart the computer
4. start the game
Unfortunatly this didn't work for me... still no launcher.

Really ... where was the cpatch.log please? Are there other launcher logs there too?
View attachment 701548

launcher-2021-04-05.log is empty so I can't upload it.

edit: check out the ratings in the xbox app... there are some complainings that they can't start the game either. I had no problems before updating to 1.3.

Last edited:
Okay... another try: I deleted the game and reinstall now while real time protection is off. Maybe its an issue while installing and and having antivirus.
I read about some other tools from the microsoft store with the dependendies to Microsoft.VCLibs.140 and the solution was to intall without protection.

Edit: Didn't work...

Last edited:
Was just having the same problem as you guys with the GamePass version.
The solution for me was to right click on the Avast icon on the Windows toolbar > Avast Shields Controls > disable for 10 mins

The solution for me was to right click on the Avast icon on the Windows toolbar > Avast Shields Controls > disable for 10 mins
I don't have avast.

Update 4/7/2021: I installed avast and deactivated the "Shield" and still no luck. It seems to me like a handshake problem between Paradox Launcher and Microsoft Store. Due to the restricted data managment by the store i can't test any other files...

Whats curious: Inside the folder of the logs "AppData\Local\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_zfnrdv2de78ny\LocalCache\Local\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2\logs" is an -audit json file. Inside it states this: "name": "C:\\Users\\ICETE4\\AppData\\Local\\Paradox Interactive\\launcher-v2\\logs\\launcher-2021-04-07.log". But this is clearly not the directory where it will find my logfiles... This Folder doesent exist on my computer at this position.

I'm really desperate in making this run again and I invested several hours of my time in it since this problem... Will it help if I contact Microsoft so they can watch on their side?

Last edited:
Update:
  • I reinstalled the game from D: to C: Partition
  • Windows Defender fully deactivated through registry
  • newest version of Nvidia and Ryzen drivers
  • newst version of Visual C++ x64 and x86
  • deleted latest Windows Security updates
  • reinstalled xbox app
After every single try I started inside the xbox app and as admin as desctop shortcut.

This game won't start... something had to change on paradox side, because nothing had on my side. I updated the game Aprl 2nd and right after the update the problems started. No system or driver updates occur between last played on April 1st and my manual update of the game.

Do I really need to escalate the issue? I'm paying for the service and just want to play...

• 1Like
Reactions:
It probably is best at this point for you to lodge a support ticket, yes. As you can see in this thread there seem to be multiple possible causes of this problem.

Sorry about that!

I can confirm that disabling Avast Shield Controls in the Windows Toolbar, solved the problem for me also.
It's not even necessary to keep it disabled for 10 minutes, just long enough to let the launcher start, which for me happens immediately, and then it's possible to enable it back.

New voice chiming in here, this is also happening for me on Game Pass version. I just tried today for the first time. I've followed every step in this thread, but nothing. I don't have Avast installed so it's not that. I did try disabling defender and all anti-virus but no luck. Other games are working fine on Game Pass no problem, but this is a no go. Definitely seems to be some issue between Game Pass and the launcher. I get the same thing most others are getting; I see the launcher in the task manager but can't actually see the launcher or use the launcher anywhere. I attached my cpatch log but there's basically nothing in it.

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    4 KB · Views: 0
If you go into the Ransomware - Apps Allowed Through function, there's a list of blocked apps there. Are our launcher or this game listed there? If so allow them.

I don't know of anything else that would stop the launcher running, I'm sorry. There's nothing in the log of any use.

If you wanted to pursue this please log a support ticket at paradox.zendesk.com . Sorry about that!

Hey Nyfari, I tried my luck with a support ticket and even these guys coudn't help me. Overall they suggested some interesting solution attempts. Feel free give it a try!
After all I bought the game on steam and no problems. Still I'm not that happy about having two licences now.