Europa Universalis IV - 6 April 2021 - War Canoes & Unit Renders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are there still more unit renders in the works? Like that of the Philippine city-states, barangays, kingdoms/sultanates, and also those of North American natives. And also I thought Dai Viet would get a reworked unit model or something..
Phillipines City states? Never heard that term before
Dude, it probably cost them half an hour. Writing new NI sets takes longer.
The balancing and playtesting would be far more, especially if redoing who gets the - 2 from blockade or not

You do realize half the Spanish Main is part of the modern day United States right? From around Charleston SC to the southern point of Texas was all part of it at some point.
But they're not part of what's commonly conceived as the Spanish Maine
Ah spanish main. Sorry mate, not part of the anglo saxonic sphere.
Anglo sphere, or Anglo saxon sphere, or English sphere, saxonic just weird in English

Reactions:
Nice! I love the canoes, hope those are available throughout the continent, I would've liked to see more Native American models but I do find it weird that there are no models for Dai Viet though.

Not sure if you were hoping for a second pass at Dai Viet, but Dai Viet did get unique units as part of the Common Sense Content Pack (just in case you didn't know). Common Sense Unit Renders

• 1Like
Reactions:
Read what bauchi wrote, read my reply, and hopefully it will make sense to you.
OK then. I'm pretty sure that when @BuchiTaton said 'Florida' he was either referring to the modern US state or the larger Spanish Florida. He may have even been referring to some posts I made in his Spanish Main after 1.28 thread. It is an area English speakers have some interest in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice: gives less-developed nations some naval capability without making them OP.
Also, new unit models look good.

Reactions:
Being able to travel over water opens up lots of exciting early-game opportunities if you are playing as a coastal tribe in the Americas or Australia. However, since War Canoes have a measly combat ability around ⅓ that of a Cog, they cannot be relied upon to hold the line when more advanced sailing ships come knocking.

First of all, half the combat ability of a cog is too much for a canoe as it leaves spam a viable strategy for competing with local civilised powers which have small navies of actual ships. I don't know whether it's possible at the moment to fraction the stats of something like this but they should absolutely be weaker. The naval game of uncivilised nations should only be relevant in regard to each other, and should literally burn like paper when faced with anything larger.

Don't think canoe spam would/should ever be a viable strategy[...]

...yeah maybe these War Canoes should not be able to cross open sea. Or maybe have enormous attrition doing so.

Also, they should be limited to a far smaller effective area than any other ship, perhaps with an attrition modifier on open ocean or an inability to cross it at all, perhaps with a far smaller supply range from port and a faster rate of attrition overall, or perhaps by only letting them travel one sea zone away from the nearest friendly port. The Pacific nations, the best seafarers with access to these canoes, travelled by island hopping.

Lastly, I can't find who said it, but despite this introduction of naval mechanics to uncivilised nations, their forts should not require a blockade to be besieged properly. The concept of large-scale supply relief via canoe is ridiculous, especially if these proposed limitations are placed on canoes to make them both more realistic and more balanced.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Unit Renders
Included with Leviathan is an absolutely bumper unit pack, with lots of visual goodies for South East Asia and beyond!

Australian Aboriginal and Polynesian:
View attachment 699725
Luang Prabang:
View attachment 699731
Pagarruyung:
View attachment 699734
So,....Aceh, Pasai, Siak, Palembang, Sunda, Bali, Kutai, Makassar, Tidore and other remaining Indonesian Archipelago country tags doesn't have unique unit models? I do hope in the future updates you'll ll add it to game and also each with it's own unique national ideas and mission trees. But still, well done for your hardwork, can't wait to start new campaigns with this Leviathan :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I can definitely see multiplayer canoe rushes being a thing providing they're sailor cheap and move quickly between short gaps of maybe the same sea-zone.

Denmark canoe supremacy?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Finally ships for Miꞌkmaꞌki! The Mi'kmaq not having ships always bother me in Eu4 we are a sea culture,(we even had larger ship that were bigger then canoe but sadly the knowledge on how we made them is lost) that sailed between our Mainlands to our islands of Natigôsteg (Anticosti island), Epekwitk, (prince edward island), Unama'ki (Cape Breton island) and Taqamkuk (Newfoundland).

• 7Like
Reactions: