• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They struggle with a spaceport
The vast extermination fleet
Claims a narrow victory
Against a stationary target
Sheer foolishness, and yet,
Machines do not miscalculate
What is their plan?

No really, I'm confused by the AI here. They're usually pretty good about not attacking unless they have the upper hand in fleet power, so it's strange that it attacked into your bastion with a weaker pair of fleets. I guess the fact that your main fleet was still under construction fooled them?

Also, since I only just got caught up to this, I really loved "Wild, Wide, Weird Galaxy." Like, even if you didn't know anything about Stellaris, the imagery is good and the shift in tone at the end hits hard.

Always nice to have a new person commenting, welcome. I'm glad you like "Wild, Wide, Weird Galaxy" its one of the better updates in this AAR, if I do say so myself.

In terms of the AI, In fairness to them, as you will see, things almost go their way.

Also consider what things look like to them when they DOW: My FP was 2.1K scattered across 3 fleets, theirs was 2.5K in two fleets. Especially given their Fanatic Purifier bonus, their odds of success were reasonable.

In other news, this has been this AAR's 50th update. Thanks to you all for your comments and support, I've been enjoying writing this AAR and plan to continue to do so. Obviously we will have to stick to the current version when Nemesis comes out, but that will just incentivize me to keep the updates coming.
--

The tricky thing about war
lies not in how you start it
but in how to end.

I wish the warforms would all wilt
For fiercely facing Saiiban fleets
What's certain is there shall be guilt
Regardless of heroic feats

It is probably a sensible enough idea to assert yourselves the xenocidal robots before they come after you again. Hopefully now they’ll think twice about tangling with the Saiiban!

While reading I was also struck by the fact that operating a flying ship is probably an odd thing to process for a creature that flies as a matter of course. I wonder if the Saiiban experience planes and spacecraft as we might think of an exoskeleton or what have you?

Abort, Retry, Fail IV: An Uncertain War

Abort, Retry, Fail IV: An Uncertain War​

NwS2zdjXtHW48NjxJrh0s-pb8XatK7vKbfurIj8hgrk_QphqXMSjhca7PmVAYyLSjOMPieRnvGSUAERS76hvh7XHaaQAzpFbZzyq8nfu5lD16N32gPnYjEN7JfL4HKp2a9fMmmMs

Let us now then, cast our eyes as we dive
Our talons ready, our beaks hungry,
Following our Murder, hurry, hurry
Fly fast, fly free, fly far!
Fly now, fly now, fly!
Fly to war and to ruin and death, death death!

Hark, on the Horizon!
Cast your eyes on the hated enemy,
Coming to finish the ruin of our colony!
But here, just in time, Murder, Murder Murder!

D1QP44PPoSwI9lHQ035dtNb38Ka8gIsRThzlt2eUBE22mSJPWWBjoA1agBFvu20li762RR11H6fuJXQrkoB0pt-sCleaRZcqCR5REqcu2-ewNsD6-79U-TphqYSKPjUAgmH_gY7m

The arrival of the Saiiban fleet in the Theatre of Operations came at the exact right moment, when the XT-489 were again seeking to advance after recuperating from the costs of their initial offensive.

Our proud ships fly forth,
Joined by our grown companion,
Exploding across the sky like her namesake, Nova
Lasers flash, mass drivers fly.
For the first time, our fleet joins in battle
Against a flock from a different nest

M6QNQOqvrH5Wq8v2NNg2T9BUlRd9UgQAdgwiixtV-aIo9N6CCDpYoxP9h3FXfeGoS5XduIpkvLanM8ea_dZiaHwQBrzZP89z5Ze5Wb9T8YhMB7H2ov0It5pqYLvE2MggAoiPkixv

The entire Saiiban fleet was present for this battle, including the stray Space Amoeba the Saiiban had adopted and called Nova.

It is only appropriate that we should meet here
It is only right that this is the first test of our new talons
Defending our new nast, our humble colony
With the collected might of our people!

Zj1sGuTp-JZuQZ6VemtLLWX0zVfOcwHYNNgrHtuOZ4TIm8KdMyoi44pOfj6HNozS3ZfFY4psWnZcSbItVAZgLFa48IN4kHzwfZLEdUGp18yYKsCf3YYxt77mN146CQWQVmaLTagq

The initial victory in the first clash between these fleets bought the Saiiban more time to continue to expand their fleet and gain further advantage in military strength.

The taste of victory was sweet,
Our enemy’s ships destroyed or fled
And our fleet also returned, to repair its damage
And gather more reinforcements
So that we might gather sufficient force so that
We might fly forth to recapture our stolen territory
And perhaps even make gains against the implacable foe.
And it is here that the controversy of this war unfolds.

Three more years pass, as fleets build,
Repairs are made, even more upgrades
We are not concerned: we have now the advantage
But our bastion in Crador, defending its colony,
Is still newly made, not at full strength
And then the enemy makes his return.

qQnCb9lHeeWzhYA6QrGMNBhqieT_QjFaGYQsCL5kUv-zUf7v6e-lXetTBsTL7llF6NJpoSBvmsdJgEuG86BzBwsaR9nU8AxcuvoUYBXRlqcKjybxL4p8K09l4EN-HBQjwu0jY2jm

When the XT-489 returned to Cador, they found it undefended and were easily able to capture the system. The Saiiban fleet would arrive and recapture the system about a month later.

The outpost falls,
And the deathly machines land
Upon our new nest, nearly defenseless
And brush the defenders aside.

BcoZks7pQMw99LvQ5aPT2_AfA88afBvA2VuWaBth9Wb1CaPQS3bQMJEyHrKFVhQz4Y5FYF5ItsV-xvMUTH7q2tYFZKbbU-_pYa7dXuRPDkXUwwSdzsSXFTUThvzsUKBXptrmNDFY

The defenders of Foosh’ro were quickly overwhelmed.

It was a near thing. for but a month later,
our ships arrive, brightly gleaming
Now stronger than the enemy,
And send their ships flying, broken.
But our troops transports, slow, ungainly
Are nowhere close
And poor Foosh’ro remains subjected
To the murderous rage
Of our mechanical foe.

zBvgeVB-FCJS_08zBrxz0T_neo1xB9qpOSRqDdu-cGC8ggmZCxxX71HFPJu1JBwWUQzu3DjaWSWsTf5peJPnjZfCKxzl60frlWuUx_80hWygS4iUuXejfMFhlt6v_ZL0tm_LrzNv

Even after the recapture of Cador, the Saiiban had no troop transports handy to clear the enemy troops from Foosh'ro

And so we help our flock flee
Abandoning the colony
Until a later date
The greatest shame of this, our first war.

Sn5jEp7wof-NjiIGA1g-8PqTTnFniZT72Ugn4jiQpDmVICkZe-VzWmnPEkOOTvCbdUaQHobFkNXFWAApA7wi4AfYgJaBariFmgXuRkApn_vnocBaB0l9glrIjs-1MfLjYI4ibFP4

Even after the Saiiban fleet cleared the XT-469 starships, military forces remained on the planet murdering civilians, and the Saiiban had no troops handy to clear their forces. The civilians would flee in jury rigged transports shortly after, abandoning the colony.

Our fleet flies forth, furious, hungry
Having decisively defeated the fleets
Of the murderous enemy
It recaptures our border stations
And advance into the territory of the foe.

Rbk1AJoM5q-N8anLNF0Z8NXeFmVLkigAo5vHt5JMv9CVemSVu_EpgaRI_os4hbGnR6gcjKYHiGM2UiYqPN_s9AXLYEmYVcyLwJboYANRdJS9Z3DRsFZH6yZpdKK6oTzXWLl4L1Vd

The Saiiban were able to go on the offensive and recapture their captured systems and eventually advanced slightly into territory that belonged to toe XT-489.

And so, at long last, we reach the end of my tale
And the time of my judgement
Our flock decided, once gains had been made
That further conflict
And potential for loss
Was an unacceptable risk
Although we have committed
To the elimination of our murderous neighbors
It was decided the time would be in the future
For, having recaptured our losses,
And after many years of struggle
We longed for a respite from this war.

Xo4aJ5Zt5EkaSAzgQ1zaAQvpwYImHAm2A2T4TSpUI6TnpOxl7Kc3KloRYdcGg5b-IVBXvcZG0mGeaoAFA-lzoUHZIFQEmmKuc9tZ31eJJ11D3Yafe1HIRCtaqbeQ841E7a_H8fmp

A white peace settlement was reached. Why the XT-489 agreed, we cannot be sure. Perhaps they hoped a break in hostilities would allow them the time to recover and attempt again in the future.

And so, my brethren,
Here stands the case
We advanced, but did not achieve true victory
And the road to our small and humble advance
Was littered with risk, crisis, and tragedy
We stand stronger now, but at a cost.
So, what do you sing, does my service merit>
Or shall I lead our flocks in space no more?

XLyWGbBL1nrqyadyOvM9e-g4rXZB-fcKZuxfFwNLEYNN2xhO0Ll_D1DsLDDjmnv4n7FKNuv2952xnfdtAOOd1p6SQNkpkSH0irwlC39z730NsUlimBXTnA5S6-6MouLGHDO0viT7

At the end of the war the Saiiban recaptured all lost territory and seized and kept the Uzayglore system, deepening their defensive lines against the XT-489 and putting them in easy striking distance of some of their own colonies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I wish the warforms would all wilt
For fiercely facing Saiiban fleets
What's certain is there shall be guilt
Regardless of heroic feats
The taste of victory
but also of killing, dying
a sweet sour bitter flavor.
It is probably a sensible enough idea to assert yourselves the xenocidal robots before they come after you again. Hopefully now they’ll think twice about tangling with the Saiiban!

While reading I was also struck by the fact that operating a flying ship is probably an odd thing to process for a creature that flies as a matter of course. I wonder if the Saiiban experience planes and spacecraft as we might think of an exoskeleton or what have you?

It's a good question. I guess because I'm a star trek fan I imagined Stellaris ships as requiring crews like naval vessels rather than being some sort of starships mobile suit gundam for the Saiiban, but I guess that could be the case? Even so, I do like to imagine they experience the sense of being and flying in space differently than us mammals do.

Next update will be a "census" type update. I get to play this game again, just in time to miss the next DLC. :p :eek:

Small victories at great cost.
But who knows what may have been otherwise?
Counterfactuals are but a waste of effort.

A scorched new nest
No cause for celebration
Revenge lays waiting

Second Interlude: Out into the Sky

Second Interlude: Out into the Sky

We spread into the endless stretching sky
On new wings flying in an endless void
Tasting new air as we learn anew to fly
Facing new changes we cannot avoid
This sky we fly in so vast a void, so finite
Its endless stars simplified into a paltry few
As we see a infinite galaxy in a new light
And ponder life’s manifold but limited avenue
It is so infinite and yet so finite, our new sky
Its winds so familiar and at once so confusing
And we change it and are changed by it as we multiply
Making the new sky take shape by the power of our choosing.
Let us then, continue to consider and choose and be changed
We already knew that the beat of a wing does not leave the wind unchanged.

iMP-wuobc2PBWlZtrwSgJTVmaXm4Ar1yBbF_s26rNgzbxqfBnG_MMNNNfcUqvi6gA8G67U810xv--plylEdlSLGfqzCPPwk5hU_lTefytFYQQYVXkEGoa_0wFpZiQBVEO8zjuHbk

Saiiban Confederation Overview 2240

zaL5MMVO_-t6nTDFvuDGC60Gdkn8eI79zjJm5LIPswTr9-n7cs62maP_Dclnf8Bfj22s0rzqyvwxBkEXSSqs07wNFXu8TuNvth4Lwu971H4JJrrDv8frZ8jhOdxdljoTtSLpNvVE

Saiiban Confederation Census 2240

UTNQ1_W1v3PJ1ehKB4sFw3j2q_H_fFosi2xWmJ4c9YAirjKIJg-3YAQXaLJ2aWBZp2EpWCrLoWLQBIX_yUMtnZMw-3NuNVTDWr6P9uoJdxwiZp_fT4ygv9apeH0YdDDSjGjoX8QD

Saiiban Confederation Overview 2250

rlGFDpl01P-AqsvnNJQWWjTzGQ8H13e3OKpVml1pwvhFfpkhvniQQBG4qxCgsjorOa2H-UWQKKaST_mlm1eu9ZdQUfJdPHKcfFxU9G0q498VUyQScYqi78A6zrDK8xVSH5Wf68QO

Saiiban Confederation Census 2250

PEY0vNOByWBDCwNc5GpoEKX-SFdj1fwoMdoZRWyIK3HdxEmaa79u3T6PyO0_f5QWn1Cj4qn9-DpBYaOXTUyg0zEXgubG82Zm_pjR4TM0YDnS2d5urKzh2920uZC-3y_ErHH2T7tF

Saiiban Confederation Overview 2260

UznzFyDjNvRPNEM4ou_JuxspXbTV0uZVt_ClBifRktRsG-c_461OVoTt1mr6n1vGSuUKC2Z06G6OCs-HTkJfJ5oavz_k3ESTYQL8GY3ZmiumgamWmClMO2VyzVceJqCyd_MKyofB

Saiiban Confederation Overview, Continued: 2260

RJaoJhxu6jl4UOk8hluhVzJQoFWcS3JmV4iLGOARLR2-JHH1ASWz_bYh4ByvecHcufMJWq1JZQTZ1M2QXrxQhgu2k6YuxqrbSg39xDdTEy01EjnKY07bN4qF1Fh9QtnbyUz-J12E

Saiiban Confederation Census 2260

wCl5_Pux7yIrtQ-gf2XO-O6KT2zoHfVKIAGsUetHLLAPJw7K43X4SyrhT99CtqNvr7UA1xZFN3H0OzH7do830o9dEhJO6fDaEuU5C8fPaHE7fHNuEvPXVRYK-M0kRw1LPNYjkztU

Galactic Situation of the Saiiban Confederation: 2260

Last edited:
Small victories at great cost.
But who knows what may have been otherwise?
Counterfactuals are but a waste of effort.

While the cost of victory
may be greater than desired
the cost of defeat
is infinite.

A scorched new nest
No cause for celebration
Revenge lays waiting

Already our claws
twitch with a hunger to tear
the would be predator prey

That's painful, to lose a colony. But you hold the choke point now, so you're in a better position overall.

Millions of lives
Balanced against a starbase
War's cold equations

Our civilians fled
our losses are "mere" thousands
still a cold calculus

--

Some fun facts:
1) The previous update was update #52.
2) First 30 years was 27 updates and took about 2 months to go through (From May 27th at first post to August 6th at the end).
3) Second 30 years was 25 updates and took about 7 months to go through (from August 6th to the present)

As I have mentioned previously, I'm a teacher , so it's logical that updates slowed down once school started. I hope to pick up something resembling the previous pace once summer vacation starts up for me again in late June. There also obviously been other minor interruptions like a global pandemic, a somewhat important election in these wonderful United States I happen to be a citizen of, and a few other things here and there.

We're still almost two months away from the anniversary of this AAR, but it's already represents my longest lasting project to date. I wanted to thank all of you who read it for sticking with me so far. :)

I'm looking forward to actually playing this game again now that I'm finally caught up. Does anyone know if its been made official if the current patch iteration will be an available "roll back" option? I think trying to continue under nemesis would be too much work in terms of modding and too much risk, so my intent is to continue with the current version.

It'll be the first time I don't buy and play a Stellaris expansion shortly after it's release. The sacrifices we make for our art.... :p:D

Finally, I'd like to remind you that the Q1 2021 ACAs are going on right now, I suggest you head over there and vote. I'm incredibly grateful for those of who you read this AAR who have already voted for it. I can't say sufficiently how much I appreciate you.

With any luck, you'll get your next update in about a week.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wings of feather and some of steel
Fly together with such might
Soon all the stars they will reveal
For Saiiban's song, delight

I haven't read anything specific but right now you can roll back all the way to Niven 2.1.3 so it seems reasonable that you could roll back enough to continue the game! Keep up the great work!

The galactic map really is quite a beautiful thing. Very pretty.

Normally Weird Science
Normally Weird Science

From our beaks and from our claws
What are engaged in just because?
Just some normally weird science.

Scanners, spanners everywhere
Collections of data strewn with moderate care
Thing we have never seen before
Things of which we will sing forevermore
Just everyday bizarre science

An anomaly is a word for somethings off
But what does it mean when weirdness is not faroff
When in fact its found everywhere
Tossed here and there without a care
Just some more weird science.

Wander wonder at the weirdness of it all
Another bizarre scientific tale can’t be far off
Time for us to find some more normally weird science.

xVUwlhnqL_oSCu3OiUzPXrdfRvm_X6x2TmbaDXwFtOF4nBNgPxAQjVyESz790iCZShTDc5GtfLlETSDYrAcVQBsghdEeF4vrahTlq008TGgyuf76zEB_MVh-8ZNYGy1ZYgnJ4r-G

uqBhyDA_ELsqY26hVq1-iHjfDt5bH9PdxN8LgLDM-YSFIY2jBOvCxReTtKr4JgNl2Y5uuXginEAze4WLOANw379FUc7ujgtti8iCwvdfxqdz-NxtROUpE306ue_sIptErJn-l8K9

DARUHeUAY2arYgIcbV_bzxVnXH_Embpsj-pP3IQHYeLyayYEKNCakb42HR7ywtwJiK3HeWR6m9hDzw3NV2tAeB1HpilcwqT7H_kOO6sJ-1td1x1o1xDjS2a_MpjYI502txVQ-Nzt

Oof. Has it really been nearly a month?

My apologies, my school reopened (thankfully I am now fully vaccinated. Thanks modern science!) and it's been, needless to say, busy for a little while, but the dust seems to be settling and I have had the time and space to return to this, thanks for your patience.

I have now played up through 2200, so I'm 100 years into the game now and there should be quite a few interesting updates.

A final reminder: the Q1 2021 ACAs are *still* going on, you still have six or so days to vote. Thank you for those of you who voted for me, I appreciate you, as always. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
In space, the strange is always just around the corner
It takes a brave bird to keep investigating further

The galaxy is bright and wide
With wonders hiding in each place
But with weird science as our guide
We might yet safely sail through space

Reform

Reform

While something has been learned
It would be a lie to say we are unconcerned
Our galaxy has been rearranged
And yet we must face and accept the change
Rebuild, Reform.

Always forward never back
While we wait for the next attack
Facing new challenges to overcome
Even while knowing we have just begun
Rearrange, Reform.

There is no other way
We cannot stay still, we cannot stay
We can only control some of the change
We can but hope to rearrange
Reform, Rebuild.

Missing what is absent still
Hoping to rebuild it until
Not replace what is forever gone
But take what was and have it redrawn
Scratch from scratch and now rebuild
Until the emptiness is filled
Reform.

cXxVBD5BsI7xVmNE3Kxd5Y-TPn0xNEkb81Y8KmCGVc-jlinuH4r-zNEpnGRRSBYM5eVf61IUmPslHh7wFqZQKhNv9uFbqNkcEyWdKNGICNQzh8bDYaKzce-h4LnW0uNk16CgV0se

fcQXXV51c7e3PSHd62hAl8Vq5Bb5Ol2HL3e7tZJeEu46Ubzf5SVJ4EimwA9TJebTxIuyYfPom5Lurm8ncSPhC68yRoFp_euwef__A29eQtN9ftJ9OSpKxMmLIHUeTH4ZJKUcGM38

p7wwU-mHy_9ztNcLORsDf1Jbi93TVIYb7dC0O34DYXUo_aCga8nlKWCCmk_UO5C_PLsK3bBpq442-akUeOqfVQVIJDWx2XWvHkxWu1W57SMe7qAFlRjHiWn-j5p_FFJC6x7ZCEfB

TCtfjqkSN0BBD4Ovf1lxHB7NIOYuFz5csjobJQerj15d3egYrXKlsfKMNx8A5RtciN9secmwL8wW90nk_UZNzp2KCGaC_of75zaiuCjfaB9041tcjEeHLzfB8haQ9MOv6h_JbxIt

rwMpeiJu7LbgGe3JH2PPLx6FePcon90ehg5gUGEFtuiW2IeY6gGaBrMr1QStSpQBVwzA4VH4oLshGGlLArlCkpPRnXWpTWQRkz25WjRDtGBLPq5Vkk4PFolcPDiZcC8nDilab2dQ

In space, the strange is always just around the corner
It takes a brave bird to keep investigating further

Rather we find, the universe insists
on investigating us, and so we presist.

The galaxy is bright and wide
With wonders hiding in each place
But with weird science as our guide
We might yet safely sail through space

Safety, like a fog
protects but occludes our sight
we prefer to know.

--

It's nice to be in the swing of things again.

Thanks to those of you who voted for this AAR for the ACA's.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A brand new world is freshly ours
An avenue to march ahead
We shall survive among the stars
Only if widely wisely spread