Europa Universalis IV - 30th of March 2021

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, because stab hit from changing colonization policy is not "moon logic of gameyness", right? All mechanics in the game are grounded on logic and realism, not on gameplay, right? A stab hit from saying no to favors is a tep away from the perfect simulation EU4 is...

People are complaining because it can relatively weaken players, not because unrealism or illogicity. And I see no problem about this behaviour. People just need to be honest in their arguments.
You're just assuming that I agree with literally everything currently in the game and that I'm just drawing the line here because it'll make the game harder or something.

If you're talking about "people" go reply to "people" and not to me.

I don't have time for this snarky "Ha, this person I've never interacted with and don't know in any way is not entirely logically consistent in their opinions when I assume they are identical to those of a strawman I've constructed of people who hold this one particular opinion. Got 'em!" shtick.

Sorry mods.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That sounds terrible. So your AI allies will periodically be able to steal 6 months of your income or manpower and if you try to say no you'll lose stability? What a stupid idea.

Reactions:
And no clarifications from devs on any question mentioned here...

• 8Like
Reactions:
One thing just occurred to me that I haven't seen mentioned here. One of the "cheats" the AI currently has over the player is that they have one more diplomat, specifically to interact with the player. Will that extra diplomat be allowed to curry favours with the player ? I really hope the answer is no, because otherwise we can expect to get spammed with favour requests from random countries we've no ongoing interaction with. Imagine playing as Austria and having half the HRE currying favours with you at any given time. That could get old real quick.

Reactions:
I was wondering, since this new DLC has some features surrounding naval forces, if there could be some quality of life features added to the naval aspect? Such as the ability to turn off ship capturing. For example if my 100 light ship fleet beats a random fleet of 5 enemy ships and captures 2 of them having to then go over and stop their mission, remove the ships and then delete them feels like busy work because it happens very often. This of course should be on a fleet by fleet basis and kind of like the repair threshold setting.

Another quality of life aspect that I think would be quite nice would be that we can press the upgrade ship button, and that fleet would head to the closest port by itself and if you still had the ducats it would upgrade itself automatically and then after repairing to the repair threshold it would then continue on its previously assigned mission.

Just some things that I think would be nice to see after playing a few navy heavy campaigns.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You're just assuming that I agree with literally everything currently in the game and that I'm just drawing the line here because it'll make the game harder or something.

If you're talking about "people" go reply to "people" and not to me.

I don't have time for this snarky "Ha, this person I've never interacted with and don't know in any way is not entirely logically consistent in their opinions when I assume they are identical to those of a strawman I've constructed of people who hold this one particular opinion. Got 'em!" shtick.

Sorry mods.
No offense meant, dude.

I did assume nothing. You stated you disagreed with stab hit because of unrealism. I just pointed out this type of criticism for A SPECIFIC FEATURE is nonsensical since the game is at 31st patch with all mechanics grounded on gameplay and not on simulation of reality. There is not a more unreasonable feature than National Ideas, e.g., and no one would ask to drop the feature in the next patch because of unrealism, because it is essential for current gameplay and many people like it. The same should go for any feature. If you want the game closer to simulation and based on more realistic premises you should discuss EU5, because for EU4 it is a little late...

And to be clear: I prefer realism, but I will not criticise the feature in 31th patch based on that.

As for the 2nd paragraph... err...
The fact one answers another poster doesnt mean everything one writes relates to the other poster. I
was discussing the general spirit of people's complaints I saw throughout the thread and not specifically you. If you are or arent among those people really doesnt matter, because the debate is about ideas, not people.

Unfortunately nowadays many people confuse debate with criticism, confuse criticism with offense.

I was criticising in the 1st paragraph the argument you based your irony on, not you as individual. So take it easy, man.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Will any idea groups reduce the cost of favors?

Also could a HRE member trade favors in exchange for electoral votes? Maybe a favor bid war among those who want to be HRE with a starting bid of 40 favors.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One thing just occurred to me that I haven't seen mentioned here. One of the "cheats" the AI currently has over the player is that they have one more diplomat, specifically to interact with the player. Will that extra diplomat be allowed to curry favours with the player ? I really hope the answer is no, because otherwise we can expect to get spammed with favour requests from random countries we've no ongoing interaction with. Imagine playing as Austria and having half the HRE currying favours with you at any given time. That could get old real quick.
I don't think the extra diplomat is to interact with the player. The way I understand it is the extra diplomat is to do the one off actions (i.e. military access, royal marriage, embargo, etc) that players sneak in by having a diplomats that are doing long term jobs return, do the one off, and then back too the long term job.

That ended up better than trying to teach the AI that tactic.

Reactions:
That sounds terrible. So your AI allies will periodically be able to steal 6 months of your income or manpower and if you try to say no you'll lose stability? What a stupid idea.
Not quite. Only the break alliance requires an alliance with the target. The rest only requires good relations and favors which you can now get without alliance.

Not quite. Only the break alliance requires an alliance with the target. The rest only requires good relations and favors which you can now get without alliance.
Well that's even worse!
Kind of a buff to the Ottomans though. As the Ottos you can easily get both the muslims and christians to hate you so there won't be any AIs with good relations that can steal your stuff or mess with your stability.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Well that's even worse!
Kind of a buff to the Ottomans though. As the Ottos you can easily get both the muslims and christians to hate you so there won't be any AIs with good relations that can steal your stuff or mess with your stability.
The first thing I will try with this patch is, after setting up my initial alliances, to get favors with Ottos and/or France and get money from them.
It all depends on how getting favors through diplomats works in the end.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This seems very micro intensive, I'll have to get used to farming my allies for ducats through favors.

So I wait for 90 favors to put my dynasty on a throne? Ok, that sounds like it could be frustrating...

Reactions:
Yes, because stab hit from changing colonization policy is not "moon logic of gameyness", right? All mechanics in the game are grounded on logic and realism, not on gameplay, right? A stab hit from saying no to favors is a tep away from the perfect simulation EU4 is...

People are complaining because it can relatively weaken players, not because unrealism or illogicity. And I see no problem about this behaviour. People just need to be honest in their arguments.

Is that a new thing now - flippantly accusing people of dishonesty, because they think something is unrealistic or unhistorical?

Well, I honestly think that your absurd notion of "If X is unrealistic, then any argument from realism in invalid and dishonest" disqualifies you from telling other "people" how they should argue, honest enough?

Reactions:
I mean I agree to some extent but the AI does over commit to wars. They treat every war like it's the war to end all wars.
For example the Russians were able to defeat Ottoman Expeditionary Forces into the Pontic-Caspian Steppe around Astrakhan. A Russia that size in the same conflict in EU4 would get bulldozed by the entire Ottoman army.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Back in the day, devs would usually respond to at least a few questions and ideas that popped up in the Dev Diary discussion.

Now it's been 30 hours, 7 pages of comments and there isn't even a "Show only dev responses" button in the thread, which tells me none have replied. Kinda sad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As a general reminder, the game's timeframe is 1444 to 1821. As such XX and XXI century politics are way off topic.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I think the reduce opinion action is seriously overpowered with -100 opinion. I think this should be reduced to 75 or 50, honestly.

Reactions: