• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Goemoe

Captain
5 Badges
Jul 25, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
I just got remebered by the planetfall DLC mail, that my most wanted new game would be Age of Wonders IV, which Planetfall is not.

(Just for Planetfall fans: I won't buy the DLC, I don't like most of planetfall and that is not because of the sci-fi theme. It is simply a different game with different features. I did play it for several days and didn't like and dismissed it.)

I do play AoW each day still and don't see why this would change until they close the servers or offer a AoW IV.

Is there any hope we will ever get this, Devs?

I absolutely agree with your desire for a aow4 and with your assessment that dlc for aow3 is highly unlikely (i'd pay good money for that though).

But, one of my major issues with planetfall was actually the sci-fi setting (and the range combat focus). I was hoping someone would come up with a convertion mod to 'fix' that into a aow3.5 while we wait - like the Anbenar mod for eu4, which I love.

Probably a pipe-dream though. A mod like that takes 100s or even 1000s of hours.

I agree about AOW4 and Planetfall not being it, although game engine-wise clearly superior. Sometimes it just comes down it being to relate to dragons and poison immunity :)

We've got a little group of PBEM players who are still going strong on AOW3. We considered hiring someone to improve and fix some irritating problems like the reoccurring CTD when you press the close button after having inspected a unit in tactical combat. Since most of that kind of improvements could not be done via modding, we thought about pertitioning Triumph/Paradox to open source the code, or even consider taking on such consultancy work onto their own backlog.
Most of us are Paradox stockholders, so we probably would be able to at least take a meeting to discuss options, but I'm afraid none of us would have the energy to drive it forward.

I guess what would really be cool would be AOW3 with a new history pivot (like that of the Archon Revenant "race"), and using the AOW4 engine, especially in terms of AI, stability and multiplayer (anti-cheat etc.). But that's an entire new game that Triumph would have to staff. One can still dream for that announcement :)

but I'm afraid none of us would have the energy to drive it forward.
As you now, there's a thread dedicated to reference every bug that can't be addressed by the modding community, and by the PBEM Balance mod in particular (whatever you think about it). The maintainer is quite an energetic guy, as it seems, and certainly a devoted one, and could perhaps fit the role between the demander and the producer.

The only thing I like about Planetfall is the combat system. The strategic map feels fake, it feels like moving pieces on a cardboard tabletop wargame, since you can see pretty much everything (I loved the AOWSM watchtowers system with its visual limitations). While that is probably in line with a Sci-Fi situation (in a medieval setting you wouldn't have radars etc...), I am afraid it could become the norm for the next installations of AOW. In a medieval fantasy game, mystery is everything. The ancient warfare required explorations and scouting the area before moving troops. That is pretty much lost with Planetfall: main reason it feels so artificial and not immersive. Also being able to cast spells (operations) everywhere it's a pretty lame choice, and since when the leader falls one can still cast those, one wonders what's the point of having a leader at all, we don't identify with it anymore, and how is he different from regular heroes (except for the fact of being an objective for the enemies). I miss the Wizard Tower.

So, does anyone with official knowledge that knows anything about AoW IV? I just tried Planetfall and I really cant seem to like it. Has given it a 20 hours and still retorn to AoW III since according to me it was a better game (especially with tha live modding community giving it a revamp every now and then),

As you now, there's a thread dedicated to reference every bug that can't be addressed by the modding community, and by the PBEM Balance mod in particular (whatever you think about it). The maintainer is quite an energetic guy, as it seems, and certainly a devoted one, and could perhaps fit the role between the demander and the producer.
Sorry, but I don't know! Are you talking about Hiliadan's work? Great if you could provide a link!
Thanks!