Elements of bad user experience from the previous UI are still present in the new one... Some of the new changes are actually a downgrade.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is bad design. That couldn't happen if the devs played the game. I rest my case for today, writing these posts is so sad, because I really want to enjoy the game, and I want it to succeed, but...
This is my sentiment too. On release, all I could think is "this game is so boring." But after I think the 3rd update and certainly now with 2.0, all I can think is "This game is so fun. Why is the UI blocking me from enjoying the game more?"

For me, what's sad is that, we have complained about UI in relation to other Paradox games. And people respond like, well this is new release. But Paradox has the knowledge in their organization, why can't they learn from each other? Why can't email each other and ask how to implement it? Just copy it, they're your own games with the same engine.
Why can't IR have a macrobuilder like EUIV?

Reactions:
I am sure someone has said this already in this thread but I cannot find it, please, could you add a navigate between provinces button?

When you have 92 provinces to review, it is very helpful QOL

View attachment 686676
May I ask why it's needed? Can it be better solved by showing more info in the province ledger?
I can't imagine manually switching between 90+ provinces, I'd just alt+f4.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
May I ask why it's needed? Can it be better solved by showing more info in the province ledger?
I can't imagine manually switching between 90+ provinces, I'd just alt+f4.
Depends on how many provinces have the same issue and whether the navigation arrows move between provinces in the same region or alphabetically.

Usually many issues that are solved on the province window are shared through the provinces in the same region. It is a hassle to go back and forth from the province ledger. But you are right that this will not be solved by switching between provinces.

Maybe if we could switch between provinces in the same region that will be helpful.

This is my sentiment too. On release, all I could think is "this game is so boring." But after I think the 3rd update and certainly now with 2.0, all I can think is "This game is so fun. Why is the UI blocking me from enjoying the game more?"

For me, what's sad is that, we have complained about UI in relation to other Paradox games. And people respond like, well this is new release. But Paradox has the knowledge in their organization, why can't they learn from each other? Why can't email each other and ask how to implement it? Just copy it, they're your own games with the same engine.
Why can't IR have a macrobuilder like EUIV?
It does seem very strange that there are still features in I:R which have very clear analogues in other Paradox games which are much better implemented. The macro builder is probably the most obvious example but there are others.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It has gone from this
old.png
, to this
new.png

Well...
  1. What's the utility of displaying the logo for Pops in each record?
  2. What's the reasoning to remove the owner's flag?
  3. What's the reasoning to remove the territory's capital status? (National capital or provincial capital)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm starting to realize, reading this thread, that this might be why sometimes, while playing, I feel like I don't know what to do, or, what I can do, next.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It has gone from this View attachment 692703, to this View attachment 692702.

Well...
  1. What's the utility of displaying the logo for Pops in each record?
  2. What's the reasoning to remove the owner's flag?
  3. What's the reasoning to remove the territory's capital status? (National capital or provincial capital)

Yep, obvious things that were in it before and I/others asked to be put in again. Why no flag? (I now have to mouse over every single territory to get the same info I could get at a glance) and no capital icon...

Just why? People liked the old province view, it so popular we campaigned to get it back and what did they do? they sort of brought it back...thanks but finish the job...

What is this aversion the devs have to bringing in systems/UI features etc from old builds and other titles that just work?

Building slots info?, where could I actually build something in my province without clicking every territotory/city to find out? why wasn't that added? - That was asked for too...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I have to agree wholheartedly, this peace deal UI has an insanely bad design, and to think that it survived even the 2.0 rework points to something that is becoming more and more obvious to me : the IR devs don't play the game.

My latest finds about all this UI nonsense in this week patch : I HOPED that the macrobuilder additions, teased in the changelog, would fix an already subpar tool, compared to EU4. How wrong was I.

Let's take what might be the 2 most important buildings in this update : the great temple and grand theater buildings, which help you convert and assimilate pops into your main culture / religion. You want to build these buildings in places where, ideally, there are a lot of non-integrated / non-main religion pops. So the 3 informations you need the most would be :
1) number of pops in city
2) % of pops that belong to integrated culture / main religion
3) if it's the provincial capital or not, because that's the place that's going to host migration and slave influx, mostly

What do you get ?

For the grand theater :
View attachment 692510

Provincial loyalty effect, pop assimilation speed, integrated pop happiness.

For the great temple :
View attachment 692511

Provincial loyalty effect, pop convertion speed, state religion happiness.

So the only little piece of BARELY USEFUL information the devs managed to give us on the macrobuilder is the impact on provincial loyalty. The other stuff is meaningless. That's all and good, but that's not at all what you want to see on this macrobuilder.

Consequently, when you want to build these very important buildings in the correct place, and this choice matters a lot early game now because of all the build cost nerfs we got in this week's update, what can you do ?

You have to. manually. click. each. city. and then move your mouse to the overview of the integrated pops / state religion in province to ponder your choice.

That is bad design. That couldn't happen if the devs played the game. I rest my case for today, writing these posts is so sad, because I really want to enjoy the game, and I want it to succeed, but...

So much this, the macro builder is mostly pointless, as I have to navigate round my Empire, and it's endless provinces, to work where I need x building most, by manually clicking cities like a mad man. It's so unintuitive. You're so right the info presented in your images is useless and it's basically the value for the building plonked anywhere, which we all already know.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yep, obvious things that were in it before and I/others asked to be put in again. Why no flag? (I now have to mouse over every single territory to get the same info I could get at a glance) and no capital icon...

Just why? People liked the old province view, it so popular we campaigned to get it back and what did they do? they sort of brought it back...thanks but finish the job...

What is this aversion the devs have to bringing in systems/UI features etc from old builds and other titles that just work?

Building slots info?, where could I actually build something in my province without clicking every territotory/city to find out? why wasn't that added? - That was asked for too...
I have a feeling that they have somehow lost their design documents, or outright not referring to any design document when they implement the new stuff.

I suppose if you want something back but rebulit, that's what you do:
  1. Load up old game.
  2. Write down on paper of what features there are.
    1. Or alternatively, just dig out the old design document of that particular feature, and write a new design document for any change or to say no changes.
  3. Work out specific requirements.
  4. Implement the rebuilt features.
  5. Commit changes.
  6. Checking against the written requirements to see if the new features match what have been called.
  7. Checking against superficial bugs that simply just appear by using.
  8. Report pass / problems.
  9. Build the game with references to the Commits and documents.
Instead this is likely what they have done:
  1. Know they have to do this.
  2. Make new features from memory.
  3. No testing. Commit.
  4. Build the game including the Commits without checking.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I have a feeling that they have somehow lost their design documents, or outright not referring to any design document when they implement the new stuff.

I suppose if you want something back but rebulit, that's what you do:
  1. Load up old game.
  2. Write down on paper of what features there are.
    1. Or alternatively, just dig out the old design document of that particular feature, and write a new design document for any change or to say no changes.
  3. Work out specific requirements.
  4. Implement the rebuilt features.
  5. Commit changes.
  6. Checking against the written requirements to see if the new features match what have been called.
  7. Checking against superficial bugs that simply just appear by using.
  8. Report pass / problems.
  9. Build the game with references to the Commits and documents.
Instead this is likely what they have done:
  1. Know they have to do this.
  2. Make new features from memory.
  3. No testing. Commit.
  4. Build the game including the Commits without checking.

The worst thing is they ended up creating more work in the long-run and alienated the fan-base. IR was rushed out and no-one will convince me otherwise. It's taken nigh on two years to get it to this state, which now has the bones of a very good game, but still is not there yet. If you're gonna make a GSG and within it create systems which are interesting, and they are IMO, they have to implement a UI that can handle it.

It's better than it was but it's a long way from optimal. It's frustrating.

The worst part is that the game could be really good if the UI did its job. For now, it's frustrating as hell to play.

My topic today : have you seen how the "search for foreign character" feature works ? The point of this is, admittedly I think, that you can look at interesting real life character.

On a more gameplay-oriented perspective, you want to be able to recruit new highly skilled character abroad. Let's say, a really good researcher for example. A bit like you could do in CK2 back in the days, and a bit less now in CK3 nowadays, but still can. Window shopping, in a sense. But in IR you have to brefriend a person before being able to recruit him, and you are quite limited in number of friends, so that should be balanced.

Well, at the moment, you can filter by attributes, which is nice. Then you get all the best people in the world at that attribute.

1615849705469.png

Then the horribly painful job starts, because not 10% of them are in your diplomatic range, so you can't interact with 90% of them. And you CAN'T FILTER the ones that are out of range. So guess what ? You have to. manually. right click. each. of them. Then, if you move your cursor to the "recruit" button, you will get to know if they are in range. But don't get fooled by the availability of the "make friends" button, you foolish noob player ! Because you could be able to befriend them, and not recruit them afterwards, as seen here on the top guy of my list :

1615850048985.png

After that, you might have heard about researcher getting you extra spicy inventions with, for example, the scholar trait. Has anyone found how to search via traits in this research tool ? If it's there, it's incredibly well hidden.

This is excruciating. It makes me so sad.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Something UI related I noticed yesterday (and maybe gameplay as well) is that when you have a Mediterranean spanning empire, you wind up with a ton of artifacts in your treasury. A way to sort those by effect would be awesome

The gameplay part of that would be that maybe artifacts should have a passive effect as well? I feel like it should benefit my country somehow to be holding so much treasure beyond being able to place them into active temples

Reactions:
and more importantly, a way to do something with them.

In the late game, the reliquary is full with unused treasures and not more than 12 (often less) can be used.

Why can't treasures be placed on non-patreon holy sites?
I'd settle for just having a passive effect for having them in the treasury. Maybe extra ruler popularity or pop happiness for every X amount of treasures in treasury

• 1Like
Reactions:
The worst thing is they ended up creating more work in the long-run and alienated the fan-base. IR was rushed out and no-one will convince me otherwise. It's taken nigh on two years to get it to this state, which now has the bones of a very good game, but still is not there yet. If you're gonna make a GSG and within it create systems which are interesting, and they are IMO, they have to implement a UI that can handle it.

It's better than it was but it's a long way from optimal. It's frustrating.
Yeah. IR after 2.0 feels like a freshly released game that needs some TLC before reaching its full potential. It feels like CK3 did on launch. Unfortunately, it's not a freshly released game; it's a years-old one. Botched launches are pretty uniquely damaging, since you only get one.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah. IR after 2.0 feels like a freshly released game that needs some TLC before reaching its full potential. It feels like CK3 did on launch. Unfortunately, it's not a freshly released game; it's a years-old one. Botched launches are pretty uniquely damaging, since you only get one.
They got a second chance at launch with this 2.0, and the UI is still not in a really good place (and I'm saying it like this to avoid moderation).

So I have to wonder how can it be worth it, and the reason can only be one of 2 simple things I think : 1) people endure the UI because they want to play the game or 2) they just dont realize that's it's horribly bad (oops, I did it).

Reactions: