Centers of Reformation focusing Bavaria over anything else

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FierceBoar

Corporal
68 Badges
Dec 15, 2016
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
It's what it says on the tin.

I'm in my third run for the Stern des Studens achievement, where my plan is to form Bavarian and then become the Holy Roman Emperor and use that to get the achievement. In all three runs, as soon as the reformation has begun, all the centers immediately begin targeting my provinces, regardless of where they are.

I've crushed all the centers of reformation that have appeared within my reach (finding some excuse to declare war, then force converting the owner) to slow/stop the reformation, but two have appeared in Celje and FLORENCE ITALY and they are both mostly ignoring their neighbours to focus convert every single one of my provinces, starting with my capital and gold producing one.

Is there some sort of bug in the code that is making it focus Bavaria over anything else? I'm literally losing my mind.

I know this doesn't look like much but consider that I've completely annihilated 3 centers already, one of which was already in Celje which means that I can't force convert them to destroy this new one because they are already forced catholic.

I read somewhere that number of cardinals effects what gets targeted for conversion, but I had three this run (zero now because those provinces were converted) and it didn't seem to deter it.

Something is very wrong here, and it's happened in three separate runs in a row, and I can't figure out why.

Pic is me desperately trying to get down to Florence to force convert them so I don't lose my nation to the scourge again, but as you can see, it's pretty much too late already

Capture.PNG

• 1Haha
Reactions:
the five years later update of the image above is every single one of my provinces, includes all of my exclaves in northern Germany, converted, with a religious unity of 0%, with the only protestant nations in the world being Paderborn, Mantua, and Bologna.

This is very cool

In the year 1532, there are 45 provinces in the world that are protestant or reformed, 20 of which are mine. There are two centers of reformation left in the world, one of each faith, and they are located in Florence and Celje.

I'm boutta lose me fookin 'ed

Known bug - Centres of Reformation target Bavaria exclusively this patch. Paradox has yet to fix it during the ten whole months that it's been since Emperor dropped. Just like the metric shite tonne of other bugs that Emperor came with.

• 6Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Known bug - Centres of Reformation target Bavaria exclusively this patch. Paradox has yet to fix it during the ten whole months that it's been since Emperor dropped. Just like the metric shite tonne of other bugs that Emperor came with.

ahh thanks

Well, at least I can rest knowing that I am not alone in my suffering

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Is there some sort of bug in the code that is making it focus Bavaria over anything else? I'm literally losing my mind.
No, there is no bug that focuses bavaria. No need to lose one's mind, neither literally, nor figuratively.

Reformation occurrence is a perfect example of what a pseudo-random number generator can do. On the other hand, one has to check the files if there is any conditional for the code to make a preference on where to occur (the author is too tired to check).

As an extreme example, the author had experienced (once) a centre of reformation for the reformed faith to appear in the middle of castille -which had become a turbo-spain in that run. Needless to say, reformed faith never went out of iberia, so there were only protestants, and catholics.

Conversion target of a reformation centre is a different beast, however. It can be claimed that, based on observations, increasing the relations with the protestant or reformed tags, especially the ones with the centres, does help to postpone its spread in the provinces of the player. Obviously, it does not matter if one is catholic, or protestant, or reformed, or anglican, or orthodox, or even coptic: it will spread randomly, without any regard to target province's denomination (had to play a protestant prussia, with 45% of the lands converted to reformed. Thank you, hamburg. Sigh).

But it has to be stressed out that the above observation is under no circumstances a verified behaviour, and it can be very well another case of confirmation bias. Note that, even in that situation, the claim expresses a postponing of the spread, not a definite prevention. When the date hits 1600 (global trade), and the code alerts that 10 years left before the age of reformation ends, be sure that those centres will deliriously convert at least one, if not two, of the player's provinces, when playing in the vicinity of them (yeah, confirmation bias, but it is painful to wait for the modifier to expire until 1640 to convert a reformed praha in the middle of a tall-protestant bohemia, or a protestant rome while playing the papal state).

This is very cool
It is cool (!), but this is even better:

On top of these, there is the council of trent abomination, which claims that by taking a stand (conciliatory or harsh), one gets 25% resistance to reformation. There is also the age ability of Religion Enforced, giving 90% resistance.

To this day, the author is still not convinced if the mechanics in the above paragraph do work at all or not.

Edit: Based on @Sidolowka's correction, the author made a blatant false claim about the bug, as it appears to be that it is already confirmed. The author apologises, and armed with a thick-skin of silicon carbide polymer composite material, will face all the consequences. 09:00 25.03.2021

Edit #2: Corrected grammatical mistake in the first edit note.

Last edited:
Reactions:
No, there is no bug that focuses bavaria. No need to lose one's mind, neither literally, nor figuratively.
Yes there is...?

If you read the threads that I've posted you'll see that the code for Bavaria's '+50% resistance against reformation' event is written wrong, to instead give them -50% resistance against reformation, meaning their provinces have a 150% chance of getting converted instead of 50%.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes there is...?
If you read the threads that I've posted you'll see that the code for Bavaria's '+50% resistance against reformation' event is written wrong, to instead give them -50% resistance against reformation, meaning their provinces have a 150% chance of getting converted instead of 50%.
Interesting. Will check the files once again personally (insert ah sh*t, here we go again meme).

In that case, apologies for jumping ahead, ignore the bavaria related parts of the above previous post, and feel free to bash the author for own ignorance. Kudos @Sidolowka for the swift correction.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Interesting. Will check the files once again personally (insert ah sh*t, here we go again meme).
I'll save you the time.

Actually, there was a bug with the 'global_religious_conversion_resistance' modifier that made it act as reverse.

fixing that in 1.31
feel free to bash the author for own ignorance. Kudos @Sidolowka for the swift correction.
I'll hold you up to this offer in the future ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll hold you up to this offer in the future
Once on a different forum, expressed personal negative sentiment against the eu4, and survived. Even made outright defamatory claims against w*rhammer, and survived.

But this is the day the author's end is nigh. By what, by a blatant mistake, by a foolish error, by a pathetic ignorance, by an outrageously false claim.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Filcat, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away." (*)

Aaah, eu4. The author clearly, infinitely, enduringly, thoroughly, unapologetically, inevitably, totally, unavoidably, imperishably, constantly hates you, eu4.

(Sigh. Time for a brandenburg-prussia run; ally austria, annex pomerania, destroy the teutonic, form prussia, annihilate poland, betray austria)
(the author hates self, too)

The author is ready:D

(*) Ozymandias, by Percy Bysshe Shelly, first published in The Examiner, 1818; obviously deformed for personal use.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
if anyone is curious, I decided to push onwards and am now fighting the wars of religion against ONLY THE OTTOMANSView attachment 697239
Extremely cursed
...which was entirely unwinnable, by the way
having halved income due to all your provinces being of the wrong faith makes it pretty rough to fight 200k turks beating you to death with their 50% cannon composition in 1555 but hey

that's baseball!

I to this day cannot comprehend that i've spend over $300 and 2500 hours on this thing that exists only to mock and confuse me

Reactions:
...which was entirely unwinnable, by the way
having halved income due to all your provinces being of the wrong faith makes it pretty rough to fight 200k turks beating you to death with their 50% cannon composition in 1555 but hey

that's baseball!

I to this day cannot comprehend that i've spend over $300 and 2500 hours on this thing that exists only to mock and confuse me
...and that's actually GG
since there was no protestants in the empire, it was immediately dismantled, and then France, Poland, Denmark, and Venice took MASSIVE bites out of it, reducing me and the last ten hours of my life to nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I still believe that having somewhere in Relgious ideas (probably as a finisher) an ability to ignore religious zeal or at the very least making it shorter would solve reformation troubles for Human player.

Reactions: