• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For starters - I really love the DLC and what they put in the game with the patch! It brings new (old) things to the game that work really well. Despite that, I would like to ask why the Baltic region gets so neglected? As someone who comes from the region I find it hard to understand, as the whole region around the Baltic Sea has so much to offer (Finns, Estonians, Baltic tribes, Polish and Pommeranian people). I mean, I love that the Estonians finally got the longship-innovation from the get go, but what about the Curonians? I have to say that I find myself very disappointed at the lack of the longship-tech inclusion for the Curonians (Courland in the game) as they were known raiders and sailors even as far back as 900 - 1000 AD. As much as I enjoyed the Northern Crusades Extension in CK2, the culture pack for the Baltics there too was lacking in more than one way and the Finno-Ugric people as well as the Baltic people were all mixed together regardless of their cultural and social differences. I don't want to whine or complain, but is it really so hard for the you to look a bit further into the societies and cultures of the Baltic region. :p After all it was the Curonians and Estonians who raided Sigtuna in 1187, if the sources are to believed, and were known to be a menace (as over-sea raiders) after the Norse people's raids in the Baltic Sea abated. It is the same with names actually. For the Baltic Latgallians to have names like Ako or Kaupo is just absurd as those are Livonian names (Livonians are a tribe of Finno-Ugric origin). I mean - there are chronicles in Swedish, Danish, Russian, Polish and German. Also, I know that there are some mods that try to at least differentiate the Baltic tribes, expanding the scope as not all people living in the region were Latgallians. These mods try to show that there were also Curonians, Semigallians and other such as the tribes of the Žemaiši and Augstaiši in Lithuania (the names are written like they are spelled in Latvian). So, at least there is that. But otherwise there is little to no content moded or original that would go more in-depth on the cultural and social differences of that part of the region. In CK2 for example the Finns, Hungarians, Uralic tribes and the Latgallians had the same unit models too, which is quite far fetched as the Finns used other armour and the Hungarians too. Here every tribe in the North has this one specific retinue unit, which too is incorrect... I really love what the Devs did with this game and can only hope that at some point this region will also catch their interest. Otherwise - great work and can't wait for more to come!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Did you not play with Holy Fury in CK2? Lithuania was one of the highlights. Disregarding that, what would you like to see done with the Lithuanians?
I feel bad for the baltic pagans. They don't have a place in the mind of western culture like the norse cause they didn't go about conquering the lands that these people now live in, but stayed and expanded and fought more locally. If your culture came from eastern europe and stayed there, most people in the west don't care. If your culture came from, say, england though, man you could have been the smallest, meanest, most petty realm and it'll be celebrated through the ages.

We need more witchers in pop culture to break open eastern pop culture and make it sexy for western audiences.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I feel bad for the baltic pagans. They don't have a place in the mind of western culture like the norse cause they didn't go about conquering the lands that these people now live in, but stayed and expanded and fought more locally. If your culture came from eastern europe and stayed there, most people in the west don't care. If your culture came from, say, england though, man you could have been the smallest, meanest, most petty realm and it'll be celebrated through the ages.

We need more witchers in pop culture to break open eastern pop culture and make it sexy for western audiences.

Yep, it seems that Baltic pagan countries are trash to developers and serve only a purpose to be conquered by larger countries...like Sweden (a tongue in cheek because they actually occupied them for quite a while and then forgot about the fact).

Reactions:
I only ask because people want a whole lot of vague things, but oftentimes they have nothing concrete to say about what it should contain.

Well, to be honest, I don't see a problem with that? Sometimes you just don't like something - it may be more helpful feedback if you can say "I'd rather have this", but not knowing what you'd prefer doesn't invalidate your opinion.

It is of course Paradox's job to determine how much opinions on the forum correlate to their audience as a whole, and how much they let that affect their future plans.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For starters - I really love the DLC and what they put in the game with the patch! It brings new (old) things to the game that work really well. Despite that, I would like to ask why the Baltic region gets so neglected? As someone who comes from the region I find it hard to understand, as the whole region around the Baltic Sea has so much to offer (Finns, Estonians, Baltic tribes, Polish and Pommeranian people). I mean, I love that the Estonians finally got the longship-innovation from the get go, but what about the Curonians? I have to say that I find myself very disappointed at the lack of the longship-tech inclusion for the Curonians (Courland in the game) as they were known raiders and sailors even as far back as 900 - 1000 AD. As much as I enjoyed the Northern Crusades Extension in CK2, the culture pack for the Baltics there too was lacking in more than one way and the Finno-Ugric people as well as the Baltic people were all mixed together regardless of their cultural and social differences. I don't want to whine or complain, but is it really so hard for the you to look a bit further into the societies and cultures of the Baltic region. :p After all it was the Curonians and Estonians who raided Sigtuna in 1187, if the sources are to believed, and were known to be a menace (as over-sea raiders) after the Norse people's raids in the Baltic Sea abated. It is the same with names actually. For the Baltic Latgallians to have names like Ako or Kaupo is just absurd as those are Livonian names (Livonians are a tribe of Finno-Ugric origin). I mean - there are chronicles in Swedish, Danish, Russian, Polish and German. Also, I know that there are some mods that try to at least differentiate the Baltic tribes, expanding the scope as not all people living in the region were Latgallians. These mods try to show that there were also Curonians, Semigallians and other such as the tribes of the Žemaiši and Augstaiši in Lithuania (the names are written like they are spelled in Latvian). So, at least there is that. But otherwise there is little to no content moded or original that would go more in-depth on the cultural and social differences of that part of the region. In CK2 for example the Finns, Hungarians, Uralic tribes and the Latgallians had the same unit models too, which is quite far fetched as the Finns used other armour and the Hungarians too. Here every tribe in the North has this one specific retinue unit, which too is incorrect... I really love what the Devs did with this game and can only hope that at some point this region will also catch their interest. Otherwise - great work and can't wait for more to come!

To sum it up shortly:

Back then "Curonian" was a geographical term and the "Curonian raiders" were actually Finnic people very closely related to the Estonians of Saaremaa.
The actually Baltic Curonians had a total of 40km of coastline compared to almost 4000km of coastline of the Finnic people in Estonia and Latvia. The Viking age Curonian peninsula was Finnic and Baltic Curonians didn't start expanding northwards before the second part of the 11th century. There was a stark difference between Finnics and Balts when it comes to seafaring, raiding and overall interactions with Scandinavains. Finnics of Estonia and modern-day Latvia in essence had the same culture as eastern Scandinavians which was indistinguishable from an archaeological standpoint and Scandinavians could use the Estonian coastline to sail into Russia which made Estonia one of the richest areas of Northern-Europe with the coastline being densely populated and full of forts next to natural harbors. There was no Scandinavian colonisation of Finnic areas in Estonia and Latvia.
Meanwhile Scandinavians had to establish colonies in the south-eastern Baltic region on their route to the Vistula. Those strongholds/colonies had almost no influence on the local populations as archaeological finds of Scandinavian background or influences just stop very sharply if you go further than ~12 km from the Scandinavian strongholds.

For more information about this, there's some very recent contemporary research that has been put into a book which gives an overview of the Eastern Baltic region in the Viking age, everything that I wrote here is in this book with citations: The Viking Eastern Baltic

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yep, it seems that Baltic pagan countries are trash to developers and serve only a purpose to be conquered by larger countries...like Sweden (a tongue in cheek because they actually occupied them for quite a while and then forgot about the fact).

Sweden has actually a very short history of "occupying" ethnically Baltic areas (1/3 of modern-day Latvia was ruled by Sweden for less than 100 years).

Reactions:
I was looking on steam database and I had seen an "Atlantis Rising" and "Atlantis Unleashed" update, so I thought that the DLC was about to be a DLC similar to CK2's Aztec sunset invasion. Don't know how Northern Lords or Vikings are somehow tied to Atlantis, but I guess Atlantis is merely a name they use for updates for the database depository.

Reactions:
Imagine respectfully disagreeing with someone for saying you're not specific enough in the info video. Only now I read the dlc page on steam and the 4-5 dot pots were way more clear there, than here which all i said is cut to the chase.

Reactions:
I can't tell any positives from this flavour pack. Really seems niche, maybe cut to the chase a bit more in videos. Only thing I remember is its for norse, landless characters go on an adventure.

Imagine respectfully disagreeing with someone for saying you're not specific enough in the info video. Only now I read the dlc page on steam and the 4-5 dot pots were way more clear there, than here which all i said is cut to the chase.
I don't know why you're mad people are disagreeing with you.

Reactions:
I really hope the next flavour-pack won't be just one culture/religion and more culture-group and their region-focused. Like a celtic/insular pack or a baltic pack or a hungarian pack.

That said, I really like the Norse Lords (and they were a large culture in the game), but I would love to see the other ones more compact.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wish ck3 was more fun to play when focused on just a very limited locale.

If you jump into a game as a count in for example småland or some other region like that it would be nice to be able to play a long campaign and have super quality deep fun never even looking outside that locale. Not just go out raiding.

To me it seems when you start out as a small time count in one of those places you are too focused on stuff outside the borders of your realm.

Perhaps some sort of DLC that added far more depth and just keeping things local would be fun. It might even allow you to play a landless character like Robin Hood if it was cleverly made... that would be fun yeah?

• 7Like
Reactions:
I wish PDX would put all their devs and content people onto pivoting CK3 into a Robin Hood simulator where you just play in one county. change the splash screen and change the name to CK3:Robin Hood.

I can say with certainty that any dislikes on this post will just be from bots and not real people as it is inconceivable that anyone would not want to play a campaign as Robin Hood.

• 7Haha
Reactions:
When are we getting another bugfix? I see there are a large number of confirmed bugs, and they keep piling up. I assume bugfixing is a priority yes? Surely it will be the priority since numerous bugs reduce the desire of the playbase to engage with the game. I am confident PDX is focused on BUG FIXING and not DEVELOPING NEW DLC FOR MONEY so can we get a timeframe on this?

• 4Like
Reactions:
When are we getting another bugfix? I see there are a large number of confirmed bugs, and they keep piling up. I assume bugfixing is a priority yes? Surely it will be the priority since numerous bugs reduce the desire of the playbase to engage with the game. I am confident PDX is focused on BUG FIXING and not DEVELOPING NEW DLC FOR MONEY so can we get a timeframe on this?
Considering the next DLC is not gonna drop anytime soon, we should get a 1.3.2 as soon as possible, I'm currently holding off a few specific campaigns due to bugs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Please oh PLEASE! add the ability to raise men-at-arms only or your own personal retinue! Constantly having to click through dozens of stacks of levies and or knights just to sort them into a men-at-arms stack is the only thing I now dread about going to war with someone. I've even created a petition for you to look at