• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This was probably the most challenging entry to conceive (since Davyd's reign was pretty chill, just quietly teching up and building up Kiev, with no hint of disaster until the end); but once I did figure out how I wanted to approach it, it was the most fun to research. For the record, I shamelessly stole (some of) the accomplishments of Nasir al-Din al-Tusi and then wound up spending most of last night reading up about medieval Islamic astronomy anyway.

Also, just to set expectations: there are probably four entries left in the AAR. (There are more than four rulers, but some of the reigns to come are pretty short, as you'll see.) I'm not 100% sure what I'll do after that, but I've recently been playing Imperator and I'm starting to get an AAR idea for that so I wouldn't be surprised if that was my next one.

A good innings for Adrzej, all told – although possibly blighted in hindsight by knowledge of the trouble on the horizon.

That said, who doesn’t love a good civil war for the sake of the drama?

I mean, the peasants probably would rather we didn't--but they don't get a vote, so....

Two overperforming monarchs in a row, of course a devastating civil war is to follow; this is how it works in the Paradox universe :) When all seems well but I know something bad will happen I cannot help but think what events in what order will need to happen for all hell to break loose.

That's the way CK goes in particular, I feel like. I start to worry that everything's just a bit too easy and then it all falls apart.

Such a successful reign, and the children and grandchildren just had to ruin it. ;)

Isn't that always the way? Kids today...

A happy Pole was truly a change on the Ruthenian throne. A good one, to be sure.

But it is the exception rather than the rule for ruling families - especially Muslim ones - to be on as good terms as Andrzej with their families. And as he showed some quite clear favouritism towards Davyd, it is to be expected that the other children aren't exactly happy.

Yes, trouble in the Godziemba family is going to start in full earnest now.

Andrzej was pragmatic, but he should've looked in the long term more. Civil war is never good.

Also, Novgorod conquering Sweden was unexpected.

To me too! Honestly, though, good for him. It was outside of my expansion plan but it made me happy to see him pull it off.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Davyd will undoubtedly go down as a somewhat contentious figure -- a master scholar who advanced his world's comprehension of the universe around it, but also a neglectful ruler who left the all-important business of ruling to others, to the ultimate detriment of his line's longevity. I imagine future generations' views of the man will undoubtedly be colored by this dichotomy.

Ok let's all prepare for the carnage :) . This last ruler gave me some Ulugh Bey vibes, from a RP perspective I wish his sister inherited in the first place making a matrilineal marriage and he'd spend his time in his beloved observatory. Sigh.

At noon on the summer solstice in 1232, Prince Davyd Godziemba--then thirteen--had a pole precisely three dhira high erected in a field outside of Reval, and carefully noted the length of the shadow it cast on the ground. He had dispatched a scribe to Odessa to do the same; and when this scribe returned in the middle of August, Davyd retrieved his measurements and disappeared. That evening, he announced to his bemused courtiers in a boyish soprano that he had refined Eratosthenes’ calculation for the circumference of the Earth.
I have to say, this is one of the most gripping opening paragraphs I've ever read in an AAR update. Truly inspired to lead with Davyd's astronomical interests, and very enjoyable.

The rise of the Krivichi is troubling for the Silesians, but frankly the story is weaving together so nicely I'm perfectly happy just to sit back and see who ends up with the throne. How badly is young Andrzej's reign about to go?

I'm not 100% sure what I'll do after that, but I've recently been playing Imperator and I'm starting to get an AAR idea for that so I wouldn't be surprised if that was my next one.
Do as me, have one Imperator AAR and one CK3 AAR going simultaneously. :p

Davyd was a man to enjoy the privileges of his position, but not his duties. And the people - well, they likely had a good time, too. Any time during which there are no marauding armies taking your stuff, burning all that remains and then either kill you as well or leave you with nothing is a good time.

Which means that what is to come is likely not a good time. The last time an underage heir ascended the throne in times of political turmoil, the dynasty was overthrown. And while Andrzej II hasn't got his armies on a Jihad nor a recent schism to contend with - there's a good reason why it's the time of troubles, I guess.

Davyd was an educated ruler.

Did Temujin's Mongols ever conquer Russia? When did it start existing?

Russia is likely facing trying times.

The Time of Troubles, 1267 - 1287
The Time of Troubles, 1267 - 1287

Grand Patriarch Andrzej II of Ruthenia

Born: 1257
Reigned: 1267 - 1269

Grand Matriarch Elżbieta of Ruthenia

Born: 1208
Reigned: 1269 - 1279

Grand Patriarch Andrei III Sviatpolkovich of Ruthenia

Born: 1232
Reigned: 1279 - 1287

x5SXTWB.png

Ruthenia had suffered through civil wars before. What made the period between the ascension of Andrzej II and the death of Andrei III so distinct was not one war, but a cascading series of wars that lead to a near collapse of central authority. In the aftermath, it would be easy to point fingers: Andrzej I’s favoritism, Elżbieta’s overweening (some said unwomanly) ambition, Davyd’s indifference, the hubris of the Krivichis. However, the larger problem was with the Silesian rule itself: the legitimacy of the throne had been destroyed during the revolt of the farsan and the Godziembas had been unable to rebuild it. The monarchy had become a house of cards, that needed only a stiff breeze to knock it over.

With the announcement of Davyd’s death in 1267, the conspiracy to place Elżbieta on the throne began in earnest. Her son, Patriarch Andrei Sviatpolkovich of the White Rus’, ensured that the Krivichis would support her. The patriarchs of Novgorod and Lithuania were quick to support her as well, and as we shall see, not out of love for her. Her most prominent supporter was High Chief Leszek of Crimea, a renowned warrior who would later serve as her chief commander and adviser on martial matters. It was he who delivered the ultimatum to Andrzej II’s Regency Council on December 7, 1268, which was predictably refused.

Many boyars stayed loyal to Andrzej II during the crisis, but not always out of loyalty. Some, particularly in the area around Kiev, supported the Godziemba dynasty but just as many saw opportunities with a weak child monarch who might be influenced. So then, on March 13, 1269, Patriarch Jarosław II of Sweden demanded that the crown renounce several of its powers arrogated under Andzej I’s revision to the Russkaya Pravda, or else Sweden would join the rebels. Left without much choice, the Regency Council conceded.

Even with the crown making concessions such as these, the rebels could raise more than twice their number on the field. The motivation of such men varied, but they were not necessarily self-serving any more than the loyalists were necessarily patriotic. The patriarchs of Novgorod and Lithuania seem to have expected that Elżbieta would be more responsive to the boyar’s demands, while her Polish supporters largely hoped that the dynastic connection with the Krivichis would give her the legitimacy to be a more ambitious monarch than her predecessors. Elżbieta, so close to her long-held ambition, wound up telling both sides what they wanted to hear. She was by her own reckoning an old woman, who had the past two decades of rightful rule stolen from her, and this gave her action a heedless quality. The rightful matriarch would not be denied now.

The Krivichi army met the royalists on the plains of Chornobyl in a cool spring morning in 1269. Liszek commanded the Krivichi left, while Andrei held the right. Elżbieta led the vanguard herself, riding in front. Her warriors were concerned that the leadership of a woman might invite bad luck; to rally her troops, Elżbieta gave a speech, ending in the famous claim: YA znayu, chto u menya telo slaboy i nemoshchnoy zhenshchiny; no u menya serdtse i zheludok tsarya, a takzhe tsarya Russkogo. ("I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a Tsar, and of a Tsar of the 'Rus too.")

In the popular imagination, Elżbieta’s Chornobyl oration inspired her warriors to ride forth and defeat the royalist army and force Andrzej II’s surrender. In reality, as we have seen, her army far outnumbered the Regency’s and she was herself a sound commander--the royalists quickly crumbled under the weight of superior numbers and began to flee back to Kiev.

Elżbieta ordered a march on the capital and then settled in for a siege. She was prepared to wait for a year or more, but in truth divisions among the regents revealed themselves almost immediately. It soon became clear that a strong faction within Andrzej II’s court were willing to surrender the throne to her if he was confirmed in his rule over Kiev and the surrounding environs--what was called the kingdom, rather than the empire, of Ruthenia. Two months into the siege, Andrzej’s Grand Allamah snuck out a postern gate under cover of darkness to extend this offer informally.

Elżbieta was amenable. If her nephew would willingly submit to her rule, it would help to bring around his most ardent supporters. She had not intended to rule from Kiev in the first place, preferring to rule from the Krivichi capital of Kernave surrounded by allies. However, this proved to be a strategic mistake: Kiev had been the historic capital of Ruthenia since Dyre the Stranger, and so long as Andrzej continued to rule there--even as a vassal--he would seem to many as the grand patriarch in waiting. This would be disastrous for Elżbieta’s rule.

gPfd1K8.png

Elżbieta was crowned in a grand ceremony on October 3, 1269, the first female head of state in the four centuries of Ruthenian history. After much discussion among the clerics and scribes, she took the title Grand Matriarch--while this was typically the title of an imperial consort, she saw it differently. She was, in the imperial edicts of the period, mother of the ‘Rus, both protective and fierce.

If she was the mother to all, however, it was of a squabbling and dysfunctional family. At issue was the proposed revision to the Russkaya Pravda, which Andrzej’s regents had drafted but never published. Jarosław II was adamant that the revision be promulgated, and although he had been a loyalist during the late rebellion he found support from Novgorod and Lithuania. The Krivichi faction opposed this, seeing no reason why the powers of the patriachate should be watered down to appease--in Liszek’s inflammatory words--’the mewling of traitors and apostates.’

The tense political deadlock exploded when the Grand Matriarch sided with the Krivichis, declaring that she had not taken the throne in order to leave it a shell of itself. Krzesław Lewicki, patriarch of Novgorod, exploded in rage that he had been misled; he stalked out of Kernave and was soon seen calling upon his cousin Jarosław II in Uppsala. Soon the patriarch of Lithuania had joined them, and the three mighty boyars were deep in plotting a rebellion of their own. This time, they would settle for nothing less than complete independence.

War broke out in the spring of 1272. The boyars had planned a lightning strike on Kernave, hoping to seize the capital and force a deal with a minimum of bloodshed. However, their treachery had been discovered, and while they were attempting to ford the Neris High Chieftain Lieszek led twenty thousand Belorussians to repel them. The result was a pyrrhic victory; Lieszek was obliged to retreat but countless numbers of Swedes and Lithuanians died on the riverbank or drowned in the river.

In the east, a new rebellion flared up. The young patriarch of Mordvinia, a steppe-Polish noble who fancied himself a warlord in the model of Temujin, declared his people destined to consolidate the fractured Mongolian empire. He had an emissary from Kernave executed and sent his horse archers to pillage the nearby Ruthenian holdings. The landscape was shifting in Kiev as well. Andrzej, now a strapping youth of fifteen, was furious at his regents’ surrender, and lent his support to a takeover by the warhawks on the regency council. The new regents began a series of internal conflicts to seize land from vassals--all the while building allies for a war for the throne. Andrzej was growing into the model fāris, a talented warrior with a pious commitment to Allah and good courtly manners; with Elżbieta’s reign sparking chaos in the north, the loyalties of the southern boyars began to drift back to their deposed grand patriarch. Most significantly, Andrzej’s Oskyldr blood won him the loyalty of the Patriarch of Thessonlika--now considered the informal head of the imperial dynasty.

The war in the north settled into a bloody stalemate. The Grand Matriarch was too powerful to be dislodged but any incursions into Novgorod or Lithuania proved to be costly failures. What’s more, Kernave was just on the border with the rebel-held lands, leading to repeated assaults by Baltic raiders burning farms, slaughtering villagers, and then riding back to their homeland. Attempts to defend the capital bled men away from the offensive, making it that much more unlikely that the war would end sooner. As things became more grim, Elżbieta’s stubborn resolve alienated her from her courtier. Meals were delivered outside her rooms, and left untouched often as not. In the last years of her life, only her son Andrei would be permitted to see her. Otherwise, she communicated through notes written in her careful Abrahamic script.

On November 18, 1277, Andrzej II issued an ultimatum demanding that she step down for ‘the rightful patriarch.’ The missive was left for Elżbieta with her morning meal. Two hours later, it was returned to Andrei with a single word added: nyet.

g5plYxV.png

The campaign season of 1278 went well for Andrzej and his restorationist army. They advanced into the traditional lands of the White Rus’, and by the fall most of Belarus (including the wealthy city of Minsk, once the Krivichi capital) was in his hand. With his Saloniki allies, Andrzej outnumbered his opponents, but his instincts were cautious and he saw no reason to overextend himself. He would march on Kernave in 1279, he vowed.

In Kernave, Elżbieta issued repeated orders for offensives from her bedchamber. Her seclusion had provided a useful cover for her declining health, but as the year progressed it became increasingly clear that her grasp of the strategic situation was slipping and she would not have long to live. Prince Andrei took more control over day-to-day operations, but as his mother lingered between life and death, strategic decision-making in Kernave was effectively stuck in neutral. It was not until the early morning of January 8, 1279 that Elżbieta finally died in her bed. She was then seventy years old.

The new Grand Patriarch, now known as Andrei III Svaitpolkovich [1], sprung into long-delayed action. He issued an immediate cease-fire with the rebel boyars of Sweden, Novgorod, and Lithuania, tacitly recognizing their independence as a de facto reality. He then left Kernave in the hands of his oldest son, Gleb Andreovich, while he led the royal army on an offensive against the restorationists. Andrei would not face his opponent in battle, however. Instead, the Grand Patriarch led his army on a large looping route around the enemy, to lead an attack on the traditional lands of Ruthenia.

Andrzej II was too powerful to be assaulted directly, but his people were not. The restorationist army depending on food and other supplies from the farmlands around Kiev, so Andrei III marched there and attacked their supply lines from the source. Peasant farmers were slaughtered in front of their burning farms, and their corpses dumped into nearby wells. Merchant ships on the Dnieper were intercepted and their cargo stolen; the merchants either swore fealty to their rightful liege or were killed.

Predictably, disruption in the restorationist supply lines obliged their army off the land in Belarus, leading to raids on local farms. When Andrzej learned of the atrocities being done in his homeland, moreover, he flew into a rage and swore to meet the Krivichi blow for blow. He took Kernave in late 1279; Prince Gleb was kept in a genteel captivity but the rest of the imperial household was slaughtered to a man. The Slaughter of Kernave, as it became known, inspired Andrei III to respond by seizing Odessa and slaughtering their garrison in turn.

These scorched-earth tactics had largely been a feature of the great holy wars, where Christians and Muslims both saw fit to dispense with normal rules of war when the heathen was concerned. The repeated cycle of rebellion and civil war visited them upon the Russian heartland as well, with a tremendous human cost. In addition to the direct atrocities, Andrei and Andrzej’s assaults disrupted the harvests from 1279 until 1285 in some of the most productive agricultural lands in Ruthenia. Food shortages led to famine, which led in turn to outbreaks of cholera and other infectious diseases.

And for all the human suffering, neither side seemed likely to win the war. Andrzej II came the closest in 1279, when he had seized Kernave and held Andrei’s heir hostage; but so long as Andrei III was in the field, there was little Andrzej could do to secure the peace. Andrei refused battle, however, and when Andrzej would advance he would retreat into the steppes. The Grand Patriarch reached a tacit alliance with the mad king of Mordvinia, and neither would move against each other.

So the war continued, year after year. The countryside burned, the peasantry fled or starved or were killed, trade on the Dnieper slowed to a trickle, the debts of the realm mounted. Morale was rock bottom on both sides. Andrzej II once gave a blistering address to his men that barely staved off mutiny. Andrei III preferred to simply execute those opposed. And yet neither side seemed closer to victory in 1285 then they were five years before.

Finally, Andrzej II was confronted by a group of his senior councilors, who told him flatly what had been apparent long before: he would never again sit the throne of Ruthenia, and he was wasting the lives of his people by trying. To his credit, Andrzej listened. A peace mission was sent to Andrei’s camp, then in Cherkassy, to offer a truce. When the councillors arrived at the imperial war camp, they made it clear to all that the Patriarch Andrzej intended to renounce his claim on the throne. This effectively boxed Andrei in; he could not refuse a peace on those terms without facing a revolt from his own soldiers.

The peace of Cherkassy did not truly end the bloodshed, however. In Poland, a crofter’s son named Imran Czetwertynski declared that the violence of the civil war signalled the end of the world and the rise of the true Mahdi (by which he of course meant himself). This apocalyptic religious fervor won the support of many in the peasantry, who were angry, fearful, and desperate to understand the horrifying events of the past twenty years. The Poznan Mahdi--as he would be known--led a peasant’s army that numbered thirty thousand at its peak. Andrei would spend the campaign season of 1286 putting down this rebellion until Czetwertynski and his followers were cut down to a man.

When he finally returned to Kernave in the fall of 1286, Andrei was a broken man: exhausted and depressed. He bore a wound on his side from the final battle against Czetwertynski’s rebels that would plague him off and on until his death. That he remained on the throne at all was no mean feat, of course, but it had come at a profound cost. The death toll was impossible to contemplate. The crown was deeply in debt, and commanded less territory than it had even during the fall of the Oskyldrs a century before.

It would take considerable leadership to bring the empire back from the brink, and Andrei didn’t have it in him. In his final year, Andrei seems to have just given up. While he did not become a recluse like his mother, he was a listless presence at court and said little in council meetings. He was seen often wandering the ramparts of his castle late at night, staring at the moon with a haunted expression. When his death finally came, on October 15, 1287, Andrei seemed almost grateful to go. The task of knitting Ruthenia back together would fall to Prince Gleb, while he could rest at last.

HamPw6u.png

[1] The war between Andrzej II and Andrei III is sometimes called “the war of two Andrews” in older English textbooks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have to admit, I wish the only female ruler in this AAR wasn't such a disaster; but of course when a new claimant takes over your lands, they usually don't have the wealthy holdings that your original character has, which means that they're substantially weaker, which gives factions more leverage to cause trouble, and on and on. You can really get yourself into trouble that way, and things can kinda spiral for a while even if--like me--you don't mind switching from one ruler to another.

The war against Andrei III was so frustrating, though. At one point, I had 89% war score, his capital, AND his heir; but while I was taking land in Belarus he was taking land near Kiev, and when I went back to face him he would just retreat like I describe in the AAR. It was surprisingly effective--I outnumbered him by a lot but there was nothing I could do to ultimately stop him.

Davyd will undoubtedly go down as a somewhat contentious figure -- a master scholar who advanced his world's comprehension of the universe around it, but also a neglectful ruler who left the all-important business of ruling to others, to the ultimate detriment of his line's longevity. I imagine future generations' views of the man will undoubtedly be colored by this dichotomy.

Indeed. At one point, that chapter suggested that your view of Davyd depended on whether you studied the history of Russia or the history of science.

Ok let's all prepare for the carnage :) . This last ruler gave me some Ulugh Bey vibes, from a RP perspective I wish his sister inherited in the first place making a matrilineal marriage and he'd spend his time in his beloved observatory. Sigh.

Oh, I'm not familiar with Ulugh Bey but I see that I have another fun Wikipedia spiral ahead of me.

I have to say, this is one of the most gripping opening paragraphs I've ever read in an AAR update. Truly inspired to lead with Davyd's astronomical interests, and very enjoyable.

The rise of the Krivichi is troubling for the Silesians, but frankly the story is weaving together so nicely I'm perfectly happy just to sit back and see who ends up with the throne. How badly is young Andrzej's reign about to go?

Thanks! I had a lot of fun writing it.

And it turns out that young Andrzej's 'reign' goes pretty bad.

Do as me, have one Imperator AAR and one CK3 AAR going simultaneously. :p

We can't all write as fast as you, Nikolai. ;)

Davyd was a man to enjoy the privileges of his position, but not his duties. And the people - well, they likely had a good time, too. Any time during which there are no marauding armies taking your stuff, burning all that remains and then either kill you as well or leave you with nothing is a good time.

Which means that what is to come is likely not a good time. The last time an underage heir ascended the throne in times of political turmoil, the dynasty was overthrown. And while Andrzej II hasn't got his armies on a Jihad nor a recent schism to contend with - there's a good reason why it's the time of troubles, I guess.

Actually when he died we were at war with Finland--but that didn't fit the story I decided to tell so I didn't mention it. Excellent sum up of Davyd's rule, as usual.

Davyd was an educated ruler.

Did Temujin's Mongols ever conquer Russia? When did it start existing?

Russia is likely facing trying times.

Temujin arose during Andrzej I's reign, and I kept hoping that he would get his shit together and invade me so that we could have some epic confrontations for me to write about. But after taking Turan and Persia, he was facing a lot of rebellions; the Mongols never even bordered me, at the end of the day. So sadly you won't see a lot of them.

Last edited:
What a disastrous loss of life and wealth for Russia. :( Hopefully Gleb can reclaim old glory. First thing, get the crown lands of Kiev!

Oh, I'm not familiar with Ulugh Bey but I see that I have another fun Wikipedia spiral ahead of me.
I think I spent a quarter of my adult years sleeping and a third in Wikipedia spirals.

It's been a depressing chain of civil wars, and the way Andrzej couldn't win with 89% warscore would've probably caused me to ragequit. Let's see if Gleb can fix everything together.

The game engine certainly made things fun for the historians throwing up a complex political struggle between an Andzrej and an Andrei. Thank goodness the dynastic names are more distinguishing!

In any case, what a regrettable struggle it was. I suppose it remains to be seen whether Gleb can at least turn the realm towards something like recovery, or else Russia may be on a very fast track to collapse if its rulers can't sort out their act.

Russia is dying. Sheesh.

I doubt the Time of Troubles is over, too. What comes next will be fun...

Grand Patriarch Gleb Spravedlivyy (lit., “the Just”) of Ruthenia

Born: 1256
Reigned: 1287 - 1320

b0iTeDb.png

Prince Gleb Andreovich was not a notably ambitious man. When he was born, most expected that he would grow up to be a patriarch of a largely stable vassal kingdom far from the Ruthenian borders in all directions. The young prince had a head for numbers and proved himself skilled in matters of household management above all else. When his grandfather Sviatpolk died, however, the Krivichi dynasty became a vehicle for his grandmother’s ambitions and the relatively quiet life that Gleb had been trained for evaporated like mist.

When Gleb was eleven, Ruthenia was plunged into civil war. Suddenly, he was not in line to be a vassal king, but to rule Ruthenia itself. In a court as divided by powerful factions and egos as Kernave under Elżbieta, his likely inheritance made him a potential target for intrigues and violence. Gleb responded by cultivating a reputation for generosity, modesty and fair dealing; he would be friend to all and enemy to none. This would be tested in 1279, when his grandmother died, his father went on his great destructive offensive against Kiev, and Prince Gleb was left by himself to hold Kernave against the enemy.

As an old man, Gleb would observe that his greatest tutor had been captivity. Then-Prince Gleb had held Kernave for less than a year before the castle fell to Andrzej Godziemba’s restorationist army. Clapped in irons, he was then obliged to watch as men and women he had known his entire life were executed for the crime of being employed by Andrei III. For the next six years, Gleb would remain a captive of Andrzej II and an unwilling spectator to some of the worst horrors of the civil war. The prince might have died more than a dozen times, in response to one of Andrei’s atrocities, and it was only Gleb’s wits and his skill with people that kept Andrzej assuaged during this time.

Some historians would say later that Gleb had ‘befriended’ his captor, but this is not quite true. Gleb had been shaped by the horror of the fall of Kernave. He needed Andrzej to be pliant but he could never forget those who had died at the patriarch’s hands. Those in Elżbieta’s line would all be reclusive in one way or another. Gleb was a sufficiently talented diplomat that many felt as if they knew him, but he did not so much have friends as allies and (as often) marks. Nonetheless, when Andrei III perished in 1287, the new Grand Patriarch’s first order of business was ensuring that no repeat of the last war was in the offing. He cultivated Andrzej’s good will and flattered his ego, and borrowed a trick from his great-grandfather by placing Andrzej on his council to offer consultation on religious affairs. The title of Grand Allamah, and the attendant deference from pious Muslims, suited Andrzej’s sensibilities quite fine; and soon Andrzej and his former captive/liege were all but inseparable.

In the summer of 1293, Patriarch Andrzej II was wounded in a skirmish against a rebellious vassal. The wound soon got infected, and the young king perished after a long painful period of bedrest. Andrzej’s wives and children were aggrieved, but none made a bigger show of it than Gleb himself. The Grand Patriarch organized a lavish funeral, honoring Andrzej for his piety and tactfully ignoring the bloody rebellion that he raised against the crown. Gleb then professed astonishment when a servant discovered, among the late Allamah’s papers, an order bearing his seal that would return Kiev “to the Grand Patriarch.” Andrzej’s son [1] would swear that this document was a forgery, but Gleb’s legendary friendship with Andrzej made it hard for him to make this case. The Grand Patriarch thus came into possession of Kiev on November 1, 1293, with the apparent blessing of its former occupant.

SnDrgSb.png

Grand Patriarch Gleb Andreovich was sometimes accused of adhering to the letter of the law rather than its spirit, and when we see him using a probable forgery to retake his capital or placing an unfit ruler on the throne of Vladimir, we can see why. However, Gleb was in his own way truly dedicated to justice, as an incident in 1295 would reveal.

The king was known to dote on his eldest son, Prince Mikhail. The lower classes in Kiev thought much less of Mikhail, who masked his cruelty in court but not in the commons. At the age of eighteen, Mikhail became obsessed with a young chambermaid named Pribislava, sweeping her up in an all-consuming love affair. After several months, Pribislava became pregnant; and the prince soon realized that the birth of a bastard might jeopardize his standing in his father’s eyes. So on December 15, 1295, Mikhail decided to murder his lover before the child was born.

He managed to keep the matter from becoming court scandal, but the commons were well aware of his crime and filled with outrage at the crime done to poor Pribislava (who had been well-liked among the palace staff). The rumors swirled in Kiev for months until finally a smith’s apprentice accidentally let slip the story in front of Gleb himself. The apprentice was filled with terror, having accused the man’s beloved son of murder, but Gleb simply listened to the account gravely and sent the apprentice on his way.

When the guard came for Prince Mikhail, none were as surprised as Mikhail himself. After an infamous public trial--overseen by Patriarch Andrzej III Godziemba, due to Mikhail’s status as son and heir--the young prince was stripped of his titles and claims in open court and sent into ignominious exile. He lived out the rest of his life as a mercenary in Sicily, fighting in one of many holy wars against the papacy. For the loss of Pribislava, Gleb paid three times the blood-debt to her grieving family, along with his personal apologies.

This act more than any other made the Grand Patriarch popular with the commons. It had been assumed, and for good reason, that men like Mikhail could behave how they like with those beneath them and face no meaningful consequences. Gleb was in this case the rare exception.

3auW1Cq.png

With Andrzej on side, Gleb set his mind to the problem of the rebel kingdoms in the north. In his mind, Novgorod, Lithuania, Vladimir, Estonia and Mordvinia were still rebels in arms against their rightful liege, and only ‘independent’ in defiance of the law. [2] With this established, he let it be known that Ruthenia would back loyal claimants to these thrones against their traitorous kin. Those who had defied the law had forfeit their right to rule.

The first beneficiary of this policy was Zygmunt, an ‘alim near Tver who claimed descent from the Vladimir royal family via a fourth son. This cleric had reportedly lost an eye in a drunken brawl, casting doubt on his piety and grasp of Islamic law. He was however willing to bend the knee and that was his most important quality in Gleb’s eyes. The royal sot was tied to a saddle and placed on a horse along with fifteen thousand Ruthenian warriors, who slaughtered the rebel army at Yaroslavl on June 7, 1290 and seized the enemy capital of Suzdal later that year. On May 17, 1291, now-Patriarch Zygmunt celebrated his throne by toasting his new liege with a generous cup of mead.

During the war for Vladmir, the Ruthenian army captured a young fāris, Prince Żegota Lewicki of Novgorod. Żegota was the youngest brother of Patriarch Krzesław of Novgorod, a brave warrior with a trusting nature who had felt cooped up at home and gone to pledge his sword abroad. Once he was taken back to Kernave, it was simplicity itself for Gleb to convince the prince that his royal brother’s rebellion needed to be stopped. Żegota grieved the need for violence and yet he pledged his sword to its cause.

Patriarch Krzesław held the loyalty of the rebel king in Estonia, but he had fallen out with Patriarch Vycheslav of Lithuania during a border dispute and his cousin Jarosław II of Sweden was overwhelmed with an internal rebellion. As a result, Novgorod was relatively isolated, and no match for a united Ruthenia assault. Fully one-sixth of the Novgorod fighting force died in the battle of Polotsk, fought on June 21, 1293, and another sixth at Sebezh on August 7, 1294. Gleb’s Ruthenians patiently occupied the southern marches of the kingdom before finally leading an assault on the city of Novgorod in 1295. When the city fell on May 2, the war was over and another powerful rebel was defeated.

Kiev’s victory in Novgorod and Vladimir prompted alarm among the other rebel kings, who feared being overthrown by their own kin. The most ruthless response came from Patriarch Vycheslav Budovich of Lithuania, who organized a bloody purge of his own brothers, uncle and cousins until only the loyal or the terrified remained. He succeeded in ensuring that no claimant would attempt to side with Ruthenia in a future war, but the horrified Gleb decided that a kinslayer should lose his throne anyway before he kills again.

The invasion of Lithuania began with a lightning strike against the enemy capital of Braslau on January 6, 1309. Thirty-five thousand Ruthenians faced off against Vycheslav’s hastily assembled eighteen thousand men, slaying over seven thousand men and scattering the rest. However, Lithuania would not be a paper tiger: Vycheslav regrouped and defeated a detachment of Russians in Raseinai, killing nearly six thousand and avenging the loss at Braslau. He then led his men in a surprise advance against Patriarch Żegota, who had led seventy-five hundred men in an assault on Czersk. Żegota lost over half his men and suffered a grievous wound to his face, obliging the young warrior-king to wear a mask henceforth.

By the end of 1309, concern was rising in Kiev as Vycheslav proved to be more formidable than his fellow rebels. Gleb ordered the Patriarch Nikita Davydovich of Galicia-Vohynia to take command in Lithuania. Nikita, a formidable warrior-king of Oskyldr lineage, united the farsan and vassal commanders by the sheer force of his personality. By carefully deploying his men, the patriarch prevented the disorganization that had permitted Vycheslav to achieve local numerical superiority over his enemy. Following the seizure of Braslau, the patriarch led his men on an advance of his own, defeating Vycheslav himself in the battle of Vilkmerge on September 11, 1310. Nikita had effectively won the war, but he would not live to see the victory; the veteran warrior was cut down by a Lithuanian fāris.

Vycheslav was formally defeated on September 27, 1311. Gleb would hold Braslau and much of the surrounding countryside as part of his own imperial holdings, greatly expanding his own personal levies and tax revenue. It was a crucial victory for the stability of the realm, as Gleb would now be much stronger vis-a-vis his vassals than his father and grandmother had ever been. He had ensured that his sons would not struggle to master their realm as their ancestors had--provided that the law permitted them to keep this land. That was a crucial battle that had yet to be fought.

B5ASWp4.png

Gleb’s final and most important victory was fought with quill and ink. For centuries, Russian nobles had split up their holdings among their sons, which ensured that powerful family holdings would be divided and subdivided until the families themselves fell into squabbling amongst themselves for the scraps. Cautious management had prevented Ruthenia from being subdivided in inheritance as, for example, the Lewicki holdings of Novgorod and Sweden had been. However, their internal lands had still been divided. As a result, the rulers of Ruthenia largely kept little more in their personal possession than Kiev itself, leaving them vulnerable to internal challenges.

Scholars in Kiev had long championed an alternative form of inheritance, then common in Christian Europe. Called primogeniture, it would have permitted the paternally acknowledged eldest son to inherit all land and titles himself--securing the family holdings from generation to generation. Gleb had been convinced early of the wisdom of this change, but it would take decades of patient diplomacy to ensure that the vassals didn’t see this as a threat to their positions.

By the 1310s, however, most of the rebellious vassals had been defeated and replaced with loyal subjects. Gleb’s patient diplomacy convinced other powerful boyars that this change would permit them to retain their own family lands as well, thus benefiting all. It helped his cause substantially that he was now known as Gleb the Just, who had punished his own son for murder and thus could be relied upon to honor the law. But ultimately, the most compelling argument was simply the memories of the Time of Troubles, which had touched nearly every noble family in some way and left a long shadow on the survivors. If this reform could help prevent such internecine warfare, as Gleb and his allies insisted, the boyars were willing to give it a chance.

The newest edition of the Russkaya Pravda, the first successful update since Andrzej I, was promulgated on November 8, 1315, with the new law regarding primogeniture included. Grand Patriarch Gleb was satisfied. While Mordvinia and Estonia remained--by his lights--in open rebellion to the throne, he had achieved several significant victories in the battle to secure his realm from future civil wars like the one he had himself lived through. When he passed on, on February 7, 1320, he would leave a far more stable empire than the one he had inherited.

VBolVeX.png

[1] Known, confusingly, as Andrzej III of the Kingdom of Ruthenia. Which is to be distinguished from Andrei III of the Empire of Ruthenia, who was covered in our previous installment.
[2] Imperial documents from this time increasingly referred to the ‘unity of the Slavic peoples’, indicating that Sweden with its predominantly Nordic population was not a matter of chief concern. However, when Jarosław II faced a rebellion from a Sunni noble known as Ofeig Sölvisson, Gleb sent a generous gift to Ofeig. Following the latter’s victory, Gleb’s daughter would be married to Ofeig’s son and heir.

• 2Like
Reactions:
In game terms, primogeniture had an important secondary effect: it allowed me to finally form the Empire of Russia and hold that as a secondary title. (Ruthenia, my primary title, is the Khazaria empire title that I renamed for RP purposes.) The folks in Novgorod and Vladimir aren't going to be joining independence factions anymore.

BTW, only two more entries left, as we see what Gavriil and his heir are able to make of this fragile recovery. I'm really happy with how this wraps up, that's all I'll say.

What a disastrous loss of life and wealth for Russia. :( Hopefully Gleb can reclaim old glory. First thing, get the crown lands of Kiev!

Indeed, it was a time of tragedy upon further tragedy. However, it seems like Gleb was exactly what his people needed, at least for the moment. Kiev is now in imperial hands again and Ruthenia is starting to knit itself back together.

I think I spent a quarter of my adult years sleeping and a third in Wikipedia spirals.

It's been a depressing chain of civil wars, and the way Andrzej couldn't win with 89% warscore would've probably caused me to ragequit. Let's see if Gleb can fix everything together.

I'm playing for the AAR, so tbh I'm not super upset that I lost that war and had to switch over. The truth is that I'm mostly rooting for something happen--be it good or bad, so long as it's more story. ;)

The game engine certainly made things fun for the historians throwing up a complex political struggle between an Andzrej and an Andrei. Thank goodness the dynastic names are more distinguishing!

In any case, what a regrettable struggle it was. I suppose it remains to be seen whether Gleb can at least turn the realm towards something like recovery, or else Russia may be on a very fast track to collapse if its rulers can't sort out their act.

That's true! Although I was just listening to a podcast about the conspiracy of the Three Antonios, so it's not that much crazier than real life history.

And I think Gleb has been good for the empire, but it remains to be seen whether his gains can be maintained.

Russia is dying. Sheesh.

I doubt the Time of Troubles is over, too. What comes next will be fun...

For the moment, at least, the Time of Troubles seem to be over. But the fourteenth century has further challenges to come.

be it good or bad, so long as it's more story. ;)
makes sense :)

every realm had its share of times of troubles, and some are lucky enough to have a refounder just after. Gleb seems to be just that. Let's see if his heir can keep it up.

Gleb strikes me as the inverse of Davyd, and in some senses the ruler that Davyd should have been: whereas the latter tried to escape his birthright by pursuing scholarship to the exclusion of much else, Gleb had rulership thrust upon him and applied his talents admirably. There seems little question that his reign will be seen as a high point, considering the period – although that war with Lithuania was bloody for sure.

Now, how will Gavriil's 'gentle and compassionate soul' survive on a notoriously ungentle and uncompassionate throne?

Gleb was a good ruler. He has ended the Time of Troubles.

Ruthenia is united again... for now.

Gleb seems to have been a good ruler.

Primogeniture! Finally! :D Gleb proved to be a great ruler. :)