• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really liked the content pack, and this comes from someone who actually dislikes the norse hype. Seems like I'm off to my first ever norse campaign! :D

Reactions:
Repacking DLC's from CK2 and selling them again. Gotta be every investors dream - little cost, no innovation and you get to resell the content twice. Neat.

I do like the new stuff though, but it goes against the grain that we must pay for old content.

• 3Like
Reactions:
A console port
shrk02nq3yi41.jpg

• 11Haha
Reactions:
Really cool Flavour Pack! Watched it yesterday "pure" (no reading forums or reactions beforehand) and was really really pleased with everything I saw, and can't wait to start a new Norse campaign (or a couple, to try both possible paths of pillaging and forming a Norse Empire and to adventure my way into a whole new norse based culture somewhere in the world!)

So with this reveal we now know what Flavour Packs are:
- Loads of cosmetics, "clothes & hair/beard styles", MAAs background image and variety, realm and dynasty flags, etc.
- New region/culture/religion specific events, mechanics and decisions.

Adding the free patch with Winter, dueling and poetry, this will really make me jump back into the game and try it all :D

Personally, can't wait for an Iberian Flavour Pack, both for Christians and Muslims. Seeing how as it's my favourite area to play in due to my interest and knowledge in the region's history. And what this packs offers really makes me excited to see what future Flavour Packs will include. But one thing is for sure, region after region and culture after culture, with all the flavour packs it will be amazing to play the game anywhere in the map, as every gameplay will feel hugely different. Which for me, it's the only big game's problem at the moment.

Want to add that I am not surprised, yet very disappointed after reading ALL the comments on this thread. Some big egos that make the whole DLC discussion about their own very specific views, and how they would make the game much better. Some very simplistic, nearly troll-like comments too. If I didn't know CK2 and CK3 and came here to check the comments, I would have the impression that this game was a mess and ahistorical and broken. That couldn't be more far from the truth. It's super fun, one of the best games out there for sure, this is a very meaty "small" DLC (and cheap, sorry but unless you live in a third world country the price tag is the same as a couple of beers. For months of work and time of fun return you get from it - it's nothing). You can play it and try to do something RPG and historical, you can also sand-box and do the "what-if's" of history - such as the North Sea Empire. But in the eyes of some forum goers here? They'll spend a considerable amount of time dissecating where the word Empire comes from (even though it would be known as a High Kingdom, the Empire is just the hierarchy level that the game needs to slot the title into) and why it is a stupid decision to put it in game because now when you're playing and see the decision (that you don't have to take if you don't want to), you'll remember that you are not a real feudal lord and are indeed sitting on a desk in 2021. Not targeting anyone in particular here, it's just a caricature of what I've read so please don't feel offended if you see yourself in it, just expressing a point.
My point being that this thread is very negative and salty, after we FINALLY see some real meaty content coming, after all these months waiting for DLC news. These past two weeks of info have been a blast, can't wait for tomorrow to play them myself. Specially when I was not expecting to be able to this soon!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Really cool Flavour Pack! Watched it yesterday "pure" (no reading forums or reactions beforehand) and was really really pleased with everything I saw, and can't wait to start a new Norse campaign (or a couple, to try both possible paths of pillaging and forming a Norse Empire and to adventure my way into a whole new norse based culture somewhere in the world!)

So with this reveal we now know what Flavour Packs are:
- Loads of cosmetics, "clothes & hair/beard styles", MAAs background image and variety, realm and dynasty flags, etc.
- New region/culture/religion specific events, mechanics and decisions.

Adding the free patch with Winter, dueling and poetry, this will really make me jump back into the game and try it all :D

Personally, can't wait for an Iberian Flavour Pack, both for Christians and Muslims. Seeing how as it's my favourite area to play in due to my interest and knowledge in the region's history. And what this packs offers really makes me excited to see what future Flavour Packs will include. But one thing is for sure, region after region and culture after culture, with all the flavour packs it will be amazing to play the game anywhere in the map, as every gameplay will feel hugely different. Which for me, it's the only big game's problem at the moment.

Want to add that I am not surprised, yet very disappointed after reading ALL the comments on this thread. Some big egos that make the whole DLC discussion about their own very specific views, and how they would make the game much better. Some very simplistic, nearly troll-like comments too. If I didn't know CK2 and CK3 and came here to check the comments, I would have the impression that this game was a mess and ahistorical and broken. That couldn't be more far from the truth. It's super fun, one of the best games out there for sure, this is a very meaty "small" DLC (and cheap, sorry but unless you live in a third world country the price tag is the same as a couple of beers. For months of work and time of fun return you get from it - it's nothing). You can play it and try to do something RPG and historical, you can also sand-box and do the "what-if's" of history - such as the North Sea Empire. But in the eyes of some forum goers here? They'll spend a considerable amount of time dissecating where the word Empire comes from (even though it would be known as a High Kingdom, the Empire is just the hierarchy level that the game needs to slot the title into) and why it is a stupid decision to put it in game because now when you're playing and see the decision (that you don't have to take if you don't want to), you'll remember that you are not a real feudal lord and are indeed sitting on a desk in 2021. Not targeting anyone in particular here, it's just a caricature of what I've read so please don't feel offended if you see yourself in it, just expressing a point.
My point being that this thread is very negative and salty, after we FINALLY see some real meaty content coming, after all these months waiting for DLC news. These past two weeks of info have been a blast, can't wait for tomorrow to play them myself.

As did everyone else critical of the flavour pack. It’s a forum for discussion, suggestions and criticism. Just because some people aren’t consoomers who wax lyrical about how great Paradox are, doesn’t mean they don’t have valid criticisms of not just their games but their business practices too. Is everyone who criticises EA for their micro-transactions a ‘troll’ too?

Reactions:
As long as essential features to overall gameplay remain part of the patch, I don't see a reason to complain about the flavour packs at all.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Is everyone who criticises EA for their micro-transactions a ‘troll’ too?

Some very simplistic, nearly troll-like comments too.

That specific jab was more aimed at short, one liners that did everything but discuss or suggest whatever, not the case of the multi-page dissertation of how anglo-saxons dressed and in what century the word empire started to be used more wide-spreadily. That isn't trolling, it's just a bit off topic and at least in my eyes, over-criticizing devs for making a sandbox, periodical, strategy RPG game, instead of a perfectly accurate time machine to the 900s.

But as you can probably take from my rant above, I'm not here to enter any in-depth discussion, just wanted to leave my two cents.

Just because some people aren’t consoomers who wax lyrical about how great Paradox are

That doesn't describe me, I do praise Paradox a lot because I do love their games, but can also criticize them when they do a poo poo (I recall not being very happy and voicing my thoughts in the team composition dev Diary) and point out suggestions and improvements, as I've been doing even before game release. I do realize though, that me paying them 7£ for a flavour pack doesn't make me their boss. I'm a customer, and if I'm not pleased with the flavour pack content I can stroll to the pub and down a couple of pints with that money.

I'm all in for valid criticism but if you take a look at these 11 pages of comments, you won't find enough to fill a couple of pages. It's all a bit aggressive and demolarizing, not the community I'd imagine this game to have in the foums. Even on Reddit I find the community to be more friendly than in here.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That specific jab was more aimed at short, one liners that did everything but discuss or suggest whatever, not the case of the multi-page dissertation of how anglo-saxons dressed and in what century the word empire started to be used more wide-spreadily. That isn't trolling, it's just a bit off topic and at least in my eyes, over-criticizing devs for making a sandbox, periodical, strategy RPG game, instead of a perfectly accurate time machine to the 900s.

But as you can probably take from my rant above, I'm not here to enter any in-depth discussion, just wanted to leave my two cents.

That doesn't describe me, I do praise Paradox a lot because I do love their games, but can also criticize them when they do a poo poo (I recall not being very happy and voicing my thoughts in the team composition dev Diary) and point out suggestions and improvements, as I've been doing even before game release. I do realize though, that me paying them 7£ for a flavour pack doesn't make me their boss. I'm a customer, and if I'm not pleased with the flavour pack content I can stroll to the pub and down a couple of pints with that money.

I'm all in for valid criticism but if you take a look at these 11 pages of comments, you won't find enough to fill a couple of pages. It's all a bit aggressive and demolarizing, not the community I'd imagine this game to have in the foums. Even on Reddit I find the community to be more friendly than in here.

It’s been 6 months and PDX still haven’t introduced an option to save game rules, a feature CK2 had. I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to say that’s sloppiness and laziness on PDX’s part. I think the game is great and a huge improvement on CK2 but it seems to me there’s an element of ‘one step forward, two back’ with PDX’s development approach to certain things.

I wasn’t accusing you in particular of being a fanboy/consoomer. There is a trend though with the entertainment industry in general (including game devs) pushing the boundaries of ripping off their customers. Bethesda and EA have become notorious for it but they still have a core minority of fanboys defending their every shoddy decision.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It’s been 6 months and PDX still haven’t introduced an option to save game rules, a feature CK2 had. I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to say that’s sloppiness and laziness on PDX’s part. I think the game is great and a huge improvement on CK2 but it seems to me there’s an element of ‘one step forward, two back’ with PDX’s development approach to certain things.
Yes that I agree with, definitely. It was probably an oversight to leave that out, which is excusable at release, but enough time has passed to re-implement that. Hopefully we'll see it in the near future.

EDIT: As a former semi-serious FIFA player (not super proud to say that hehe) I know exactly what you mean @Urkaun . It's a never ending discussion, and most of the people criticising the use of real money in the game are the first ones to load their accounts at the start of every season. It's really wrong and sad.

Paradox's model in CK2 was a bit over the top, I remember coming to the game after a few years out and it was over whelming how many new things were and how much money I'd need to spend to get it all (I didn't). But I don't see Paradox's model being like that anymore, they released an amazing base game, which I'm happy of how it turned out and return of my money in play time, and this is just Flavour Pack (it would be closer to some of the expansions of CK2 in terms of content). You can skip it if you don't want to play with the Norse, in this case, and you'll still get free content like Winter and Duels and Poetry and more events and constant patches. So far, I'm happy with I see, my only complaint has been the lack of communication. I feel comfortable knowing that if the next flavour pack is India, I can skip that and still get free features. Or If I stop playing and come back in 3 years time, I can pick 1 or 2 specific flavour packs to the playthrough I want to do and leave the rest out, knowing that I won't be locked out of any features. Let's see how the big DLCs are handled though!

Last edited:
Reactions:
It feels so odd that the DLC will release tomorrow already! I might wait a little bit until I have confirmation from my preorder friends that the game isn't broken by the new patch, but for a few euros I should probably buy it since I'm addicted to this game anyways...

... and in what century the word empire started to be used more wide-spreadily.
Hey man that is the defining discussion of our era!

That was Léon, not Castile.
I've seen both Léon, Castile and Asturias quoted as using the title, so I don't really think it matters too much ;-)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Howdy all,

We were honored and privileged to be part of Paradox Insider this weekend! For those of you that may have missed it, we announced Northern Lords is coming soon!

Curious what else that contains and what to expect? Here is a video that rather exquisitely explains that!

I have to ask: will old saves (pre-update) be working normally, or do we have to start our games all over? I don't think I'll manage to finish my run until the release :(

I have to ask: will old saves (pre-update) be working normally, or do we have to start our games all over? I don't think I'll manage to finish my run until the release :(
DLC probably won't affect the save all that much, since it's a flavour pack.
However, I'm unsure about the accompanying free patch. If I recall well, patch will add some new provinces, winter system, duels, etc.

DLC probably won't affect the save all that much, since it's a flavour pack.
However, I'm unsure about the accompanying free patch. If I recall well, patch will add some new provinces, winter system, duels, etc.

Yeah, Ireland got new provinces so any previous saves should definitely be broken.

The saves will work, but because there are map changes, there may be some issues. It's recommended you wrap up your ironman games before rolling in the patch.

Reactions:
There will be some weirdness in Ireland and Italy due to the new provinces, but it's likely that your save should still function okay despite that.

There will be some weirdness in Ireland and Italy due to the new provinces, but it's likely that your save should still function okay despite that.
I'd imagine that there will just be some random bordergore enclaves popping up with randomised characters, although with my experience from using old PDX game savefiles will usually crash the game down the line when something unexpected happens that the game cannot handle.