• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KaiserBismarckll

Ruthless Imperialist
77 Badges
Aug 1, 2017
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
I'm sorry If I missed something important, But I cannot tell why this is not a bigger deal.
Capture 3.PNG

Right here, on PDXCon's Remixed website, PDX committed to announcing brand new Game in less than 90 days!

It will almost certainly be a Grand Strategy game, and I honestly only see one possible option. Paradox launched two new GS franchises in the last five years (Stellaris & Imperator), and EU and CK and HOI are not ready for a new addition yet.

It has to be Vicky 3.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I suppose people aren't excited because they had built up all their hype for this day and it ended up being an announcement of a future announcement.

While I think Vicky 3 is the most plausible historical GSG right now, I have a feeling they may pull another Stellaris out of left field.

Reactions:
EU... are not ready for a new addition yet.

I disagree. EUIV is an 8 year old title (this August is the 8 year anniversary of its release) and has begun showing its age.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is is Likely to be Wiz's project. Said project theoretically started in 2016 with Chris King, and Wiz took it over in 2018 - said project is likely to be Vicky 3.

Maybe King's 2016 project was canceled at some point along the way (which would probably mean Wiz is working on Stellaris 2 instead of Vicky 3)
Maybe some other project time jumped that one and is further along and ready for an Autumn release (some sort of Cold War or fantasy GSG maybe?).

During the run up to Imperator's announcement a fair amount of effort was utilized to spell out quick specifically that Vicky 3 was not going to be the announced title. It will be interesting to see what the run up to Pdx con is like.

<Edit>
Another thought - HBS has been doing something for the past 18(?) months - maybe their current project gets announced instead of Wiz's.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I disagree. EUIV is an 8 year old title (this August is the 8 year anniversary of its release) and has begun showing its age.
They waited over a year after Holy Fury to announce CK3. EUIV is not only going to have a DLC drop soon, but the art team were asking for suggestions for future unique unit models. I think EU4 is one of the least likely options that isn't something goofy like CK4 or HoI5.

Reactions:
that isn't something goofy like CK4

To even mention CK4 when it only just released a half a year ago is way beyond goofy, mate.

I'm not saying it will be EUV (personally I would prefer Vicky 3), but to say that EUV is the least likely when it's literally the oldest game in active development, is a major stretch.

At the very least the EUV is in active pre-launch development.

Reactions:
They waited over a year after Holy Fury to announce CK3. EUIV is not only going to have a DLC drop soon, but the art team were asking for suggestions for future unique unit models. I think EU4 is one of the least likely options that isn't something goofy like CK4 or HoI5.
Bear in mind though that work on CK3 was ongoing even while Holy Fury was in production....

I am guessing that EU5 will have a similar production cycle.
Design on it could have started as soon as (or even before) the Barcelona studio was set up.
That said, I agree that EU5 getting announced two months from now is very unlikely - there are far more likely scenarios for other projects.

Reactions:
but to say that EUV is the least likely when it's literally the oldest game in active development, is a major stretch.
Basically the only options that are plausible as all are EUV or Vicky 3 if we assume they're doing a sequel to pre-existing historical IP.

So really when I say least likely I mean out of those two. As I said, because the other two main running series are comically implausible.

I'm absolutely positive EUV is being developed, but based on my observations of what's going on over there they're going to try to knock another year or so+ out of EU4 still.

My hypothesis is definitely that it's going to be some new IP, but doesn't seem like they've started trying to temper our expectations on Vicky 3 yet this year so we'll see.

Reactions:
I certainly hope it's Vicky 3, although a fantasy GSG is also a distinct possibility.
I will be so, so, so upset if they announce a fantasy GSG. I never forgave Total War for Warhammer, and my soul will be crushed if PDS goes into fantasy.
My hypothesis is definitely that it's going to be some new IP, but doesn't seem like they've started trying to temper our expectations on Vicky 3 yet this year so we'll see.

We've had two new IPs recently, and I would argue that the decision to hang onto Imperator after the launch disaster sucked up a lot of resources and drained a lot of enthusiasm for risk. That was two years ago, and there is no reason to expect development of existing IPs will slow down, led alone end. Another IP would be extremely ambitious.
And what about settings? Cold War, Bronze Age, Dark Ages, Modern Day? I don't see any rationale for choosing those eras over the Vicky 3 era. EU4 has the Napoleonic wars pretty much covered, and with Hoi4, another 20th century wargame for WW1 seems redundant. MAYBE EU5 (announced 2022) will drop the revolutionary era and March of the Eagles 2 will be announced this year, but I doubt it.

And while I acknowledge a EU5 announcement to be remotely possible, I truly doubt it. I think ANOTHER DLC after Leviathan is more likely than that.

Reactions:
An EU5 announcement in May is 100% impossible, they won't announce EU 5 when they are still developing dlcs for EU 4 at the same time. Doesn't mean EU 5 is not in development.

It's Victoria 3 or some fantasy stuff

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Basically the only options that are plausible as all are EUV or Vicky 3 if we assume they're doing a sequel to pre-existing historical IP.

So really when I say least likely I mean out of those two. As I said, because the other two main running series are comically implausible.

I'm absolutely positive EUV is being developed, but based on my observations of what's going on over there they're going to try to knock another year or so+ out of EU4 still.

if they do not explicitly say it's not Victoria 3 in the coming weeks, then it's 99% sure it's Victoria 3.

Just imagine the backlash if they let the Vic 3 hype build up until the announcement and elves start appearing on the revelation trailer. The Diablo mobile game announcement would be a joke in comparison

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
One thing that let me think it's Victoria 3 is how much effort paradox has put into improving Imperator. Given the similarities between the two franchises (PoPs etc...) it could be that the Imperator changes in the last 2 years have been testing grounds for Vic 3

• 2Like
Reactions:
After the success of a scifi game (Stellaris) I would be surprised if they didnt try to make a fantasy GSG.
Like Master of Magic in the 90ies (but much better).

• 3Like
Reactions:
And what about settings? Cold War, Bronze Age, Dark Ages, Modern Day? I don't see any rationale for choosing those eras over the Vicky 3 era.
It's not about the era. The target audience for Victoria 3 would have to be Victoria 2 fans, and I foresee much whining and gnashing of teeth from them no matter how good or bad the game is. So they'd be releasing a sequel to a decade old game that wasn't terribly successful, but which does have a cult following that's all but guaranteed to judge a sequel harshly after all this time, and which cannot be easily marketed to a wider audience. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there's good reasons it hasn't happened yet.

PDXCon's announcement is probably a new IP. Strictly speaking, there hasn't been one of those since Stellaris; Imperator was a sequel to Europa Universalis: Rome in all but name. Paradox's safest bet is a fantasy game, so I'll make that mine as well. Incidentally, I fail to see why a fantasy GSG would be some kind of horrible betrayal while Stellaris somehow wasn't.

• 2Like
Reactions:
EUV will be Paradox Tinto, not Paradox Development Studio.

Not to mention, Tinto only just started working. So, EUIV only just started , if it started at all. So it won't be a year at least before they announce anything.

I'd say Stellaris 2 or Vicky 3.

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
The target audience for Victoria 3 would have to be Victoria 2 fans, and I foresee much whining and gnashing of teeth from them no matter how good or bad the game is.

That didn't stop them from making Hearts of Iron 4. ;)

Joke aside: my personal feeling is that the hardest thing to get right with Victoria 3 is the pop-system and flow of goods. I reckon peoples expectations here might be to high.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's not about the era. The target audience for Victoria 3 would have to be Victoria 2 fans, and I foresee much whining and gnashing of teeth from them no matter how good or bad the game is. So they'd be releasing a sequel to a decade old game that wasn't terribly successful, but which does have a cult following that's all but guaranteed to judge a sequel harshly after all this time, and which cannot be easily marketed to a wider audience. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there's good reasons it hasn't happened yet.

PDXCon's announcement is probably a new IP. Strictly speaking, there hasn't been one of those since Stellaris; Imperator was a sequel to Europa Universalis: Rome in all but name. Paradox's safest bet is a fantasy game, so I'll make that mine as well. Incidentally, I fail to see why a fantasy GSG would be some kind of horrible betrayal while Stellaris somehow wasn't.

I mean to be fair HOI3 was never more than a cult game. Fast forward to today and HOI4 is sitting in the top 25 most played games on Steam. With that in mind I don't think the fact that Vicky 2 was a cult game is really that big of a deal. If the game is fun and well marketed then it will be successful. If they release another Imperator then yea it's going to fail.

• 2Like
Reactions:
One thing that let me think it's Victoria 3 is how much effort paradox has put into improving Imperator. Given the similarities between the two franchises (PoPs etc...) it could be that the Imperator changes in the last 2 years have been testing grounds for Vic 3
I was thinking the same thing days ago, in my opinion, Imperator 2.0(from what I have seen, although I haven't played the game yet) has the most complex POP system since Vic2. Also the mechanic where you can create cities and then upgrade them to a metropolis is something that would be easily adaptable to a industrial era game, but it might need some changes, like the POPs creating and upgrading cities by themselves.

Reactions: