• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Which will eventually assimilate into local culture as they did historically"

Will this be represented via melting pots or by becoming the local culture? IE: are there going to be Norse-Gaels or will the Norwegians in Dublin just become Irish?

I don't mind if they just fully integrate, but I would like to see some more melting pots.

• 3Like
Reactions:
My two cents on it:

Adventures - it seems a thrilling addition, I never played too much with Norse character because I was not so interested in the mere raiding and Scandinavian scenarios. But actually recreating the arrival of Normans to Normandy (and thence to southern Italy) it's a whole different thing.
I'm just worried about balance - in the early days of CK3 Vikings were just OP, and soon enough they would conquer all of France and Britain. Even in my last play through, I had a significant Norse state in Northern Spain, although admittedly it was short-lived.

AAAAND

"You can decide to send your son to the Varingian guard" - Biz major update confirmed?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Of course. Sweden is top priority.
Should we tell them the absolute mess Sweden was in in both 867 and 1066 when compared to Denmark or let them live in innocent bliss?

• 9Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Oh, thats dissapointing, the Norse are already buffed, and now will be even more central for a game about CRUSADER KINGS :(
Despite the game name, crusader kings are not a central point in the game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great news! Nice features, imo scaled up to flavor pack's assumable size (on the other hand you set yourself the bar really high for major DLC right now :D ). Really looking forward for adventure mechanics, reworked legacies and new events :) Excited! :D

• 6Like
Reactions:
[
Why do media outlets persist with this stereotype that North Germanic people wore shaggy, untrimmed fur mantles that make Norse warriors look like Cruella de Vil? The Last Kingdom, HISTORY's Vikings and now Paradox lmao. @El Tyranos has done a better job with his mod representing medieval Norse clothing, and that's free.

What is the mod called?

(Sorry for the multiple post)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Also, the 'North Sea Empire' was never a real de jure empire. It was three independent kingdoms ruled in personal union by one monarch and when that monarch (Cnut the Great) died, Norway, Denmark and England each had their own separate rulers. The 'empire' was actually just one guy owning three kingdom titles and those titles ceased to be united beyond his lifetime.

The stuff in the free patch and existing mods are better than the $7 flavour pack.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Oh, thats dissapointing, the Norse are already buffed, and now will be even more central for a game about CRUSADER KINGS :(
Crusades are quite OP and the entire fundamentals of the game are built around a caricature of High Medieval France. I'm sure the crusaders are going to do just fine. I wouldn't want a DLC focusing on major content for Catholics/Byzzies to be a Flavor Pack anyway. Means less content.

Reactions:
Despite the game name, crusader kings are not a central point in the game.
It should be, but there are also many interesting cultures in this time period and they wasted the first flavor DLC in the meme that the Vikings are. Muslims, Bizantines and even the Nomadic hordes deserved priority over them.

Crusades are absurdly OP and the entire fundamentals of the game are built around a caricature of High Medieval France. I'm sure the crusaders are going to do just fine. I wouldn't want a DLC focusing on major content for Catholics/Byzzies to be a Flavor Pack anyway. Means less content.
They could have balanced the Crusade/GHW mechanics while giving us some flavor, but i agree with you anyways... but my disappointment over having another "vIkAnG" DLC/game/whatever is more of a personal thing that a real issue for me. I was expecting something more interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The stuff in the free patch and existing mods are better than the $7 flavour pack.
You could also say that a couple of CK2 mods (GOT, HIP, CK2+) are also worth MUCH more than any CK2 dlc. And you'd be right.
Good thing is how this is completely optional. Even better thing is how Paradox apparently learned from mistakes from CK2 dlc. As in, they are not making full features and releasing them alongside regional content. You had to buy Legacy of Rome, if you wanted retinues. LoR was a minor dlc, focused around a very specific region, but it had a feature which was very impactful for everyone on the map. Meaning, you absolutely had to buy LoR.
With Northern Lords, you can just say: "meh, I don't care about Vikings." and simply not purchase it.

Reactions:
AAAAND

"You can decide to send your son to the Varingian guard" - Biz major update confirmed?

Byzantines are the perfect candidates for a culture flavor pack (their special mechanics wouldnt really suit well anybody outside them, so i doubt would be used in a major expansion), so i have the feeling the second flavor pack will be them

• 3Like
Reactions:
It should be, but there are also many interesting cultures in this time period and they wasted the first flavor DLC in the meme that the Vikings are. Muslims, Bizantines and even the Nomadic hordes deserved priority over them.

They could have balanced the Crusade/GHW mechanics while giving us some flavor, but i agree with you anyways... but my disappointment over having another "vIkAnG" DLC/game/whatever is more of a personal thing that a real issue for me. I was expecting something more interesting.
Can't say I disagree. I vikinged myself out in CK2. They know it's an easy sell though. And besides, this is only a Flavor Pack. I wouldn't feel satisfied if they covered Western Catholics, Byzantines, or West Asian Muslims in a small thing like this. There's no way it would do them justice.

Though I'll disagree that the game should focus primarily on crusades (because frankly I'm also bored of them) and there's a whole interesting world to explore. Which lends to your point that it probably shouldn't have been the norse first.

• 10Like
Reactions:
You could also say that a couple of CK2 mods (GOT, HIP, CK2+) are also worth MUCH more than any CK2 dlc. And you'd be right.
Good thing is how this is completely optional. Even better thing is how Paradox apparently learned from mistakes from CK2 dlc. As in, they are not making full features and releasing them alongside regional content. You had to buy Legacy of Rome, if you wanted retinues. LoR was a minor dlc, focused around a very specific region, but it had a feature which was very impactful for everyone on the map. Meaning, you absolutely had to buy LoR.
With Northern Lords, you can just say: "meh, I don't care about Vikings." and simply not purchase it.
I'm fine with this. I'm still bitter i was forced to buy Jade Dragon just for the very neat ducal conquest casus belli unlocked to everyone

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: