BattleTech - Quick Questions and Answers Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can the AI use +, ++, and +++ mods?
I know they get generated in the salvage, but does the AI get the benefits of those mods during the battle?

I am not 100% sure (only about 99% :p ) but I have seen some enemies equipped with those weapons. And they are certainly the same you can use thus more powerful versions.

However as far as salvage goes there is something different going on there. I have been reloading saves few times when I had not enough priority salvage and REALLY wanted that third mech part (save a round right before end screen, sometimes hard to do due to RNG but not impossible with frequent saves).

What I noticed is sometimes there was a + weapon there, few loads later there was no + weapon to be found at all and other times the + weapon was a different one (like it was a ML, then nothing, then I saw a LRM5 +) even though absolutely nothing changed as far as the ending goes (I just proceeded to next turn and ended the mission). And I would dare to say at that one mission I can remember I have seen no enemy mech with a + weapon too, so post-mission salvage must be somehow randomized (even if only partially).

Edit:
I'll keep looking for this in game, hopefully I can provide a SS if I see that.

2 Questions:

1. Anyone know which planet we are able to obtain ammo for the Gauss rifle?

2. Is it possible to upload our own avatars? What they have doesn't even fit BattleTech.

Thanks!

Is it possible to tell a mech to go not in a straight line? In melee combat I can only seem to go the shortest route to the enemy, when sometimes I would like to hit the enemy from the side.

Is it possible to tell a mech to go not in a straight line? In melee combat I can only seem to go the shortest route to the enemy, when sometimes I would like to hit the enemy from the side.
Melee doesn't care about straight lines, what it cares about is following the rule that you get only the nearest 3 options of where to attack from. If other 'Mechs or obstacles in the way, then it will let you walk around them to potentially attack the target from the other side. If you're feeling adventurous you can reconfigure this in the CombatGameConstants file, just change this line:

Code:
"NumMeleeDestinationChoices": 3,

Remember that you need to undo this change to join any multiplayer games.

Anyone knows hod do the Contracts work? To be more specific, when one vanishes (other than accepting it) or a new one appears? Is it timed based, system entry, orbit entry or something else?

Arrived in system, had one contract taken and one ready to be accepted. Finished one contract. Second one still there. Bought some stuff off shop, messed with Mechs, leveled my MechWarriors (no time advance!) and the contract is no longer there, replaced by one in another system. I am puzzled! :eek:

Does anyone know what mech tonnage is possibly by planet Atlas heads?

I seem to recall seeing someones spreadsheet and they had a tab with general guide to this. Of course I can't find that again.

Really stupid question, but is this worth it to try shoot targets from behind or the flanks ? (only light mechs are able to do it reliably, but they don't seem to do much damage)

Is this a correct assumption that ENERGY weapons are for relatively close ranges compared to KINETIC ones

Is it possible to call a shot on the rear (e.g., when using Precision Strike)?

Keep an eye out for mechs that happen to be designed with ammo in the CT, particularly the big boys that are otherwise tough to bring down.

My eyes light up when I see certain heavy mechs, because I've one-shot killed so many of them with my Firestarter that mounts 5 MGs and a single ML (MGs have a bonus crit chance and roll 5 times for location). Jump behind, use precision strike to call a shot on the rear CT, and BOOM! From time to time, I need to take a second shot because the crit didn't trigger... typically I have an Ace Pilot in that mech and they take another shot without bothering with precision strike (since the armor is already stripped off by the first shot, and I'm just spamming crit chances).

The vast majority of the stock mechs have ammo stored somewhere in the torso, so even if you can't get a kill because none of it was stored in the CT, you can generally take several weapons out by going for the appropriate side. I usually don't consider it worth the morale cost to focus fire, but it's an option.

Hello all, and sorry for the necroposting but I just found this thread and I have a question!

Where / how can I find mechparts for the Phoenix Hawk 1B (Star League version)? I have two complete playthroughts (one story, one career), and access to the black market in both of them, all DLCs to date and so forth, but still I haven't been able to find it.

Still, in the black market I found lots of Star League Griffin's and Warhammer's parts, but no PXH-1b. Damn!
Is it story-related? For instance, only obtainable as random Star League rewards in a Flashpoint?

Thanx!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's back luck. It can show in the Black Market.

I can assume, but cannot confirm, you may see it in Flashpoint rewards... but then again, I haven't confirmed it.

Hello all, and sorry for the necroposting but I just found this thread and I have a question!

Where / how can I find mechparts for the Phoenix Hawk 1B (Star League version)? I have two complete playthroughts (one story, one career), and access to the black market in both of them, all DLCs to date and so forth, but still I haven't been able to find it.

Still, in the black market I found lots of Star League Griffin's and Warhammer's parts, but no PXH-1b. Damn!
Is it story-related? For instance, only obtainable as random Star League rewards in a Flashpoint?

Thanx!
I just finished a 1,200 day career where I focused on completing Flashpoints. I did not find that the PXH-1b was specifically connected to any of them. However, I came across at least 4 Star League Phoenix Hawks prowling Black Market stores during that time. I picked up two, one I equipped with Rangefinder as a scout and the other with a Cockpit Mod for close in work. Neither was seriously damaged during dozens and dozens of missions.

I can assume, but cannot confirm, you may see it in Flashpoint rewards... but then again, I haven't confirmed it.
I'm not sure but I don't think it can. A lostech mech like the Atlas-II is present both in the SLDF itemcollection and in the Black Market as well, and it can show as FP reward. But the PHX1B only shows in the Black Market itemcollection, and I don't think FP rewards include the BM. I would have to dig more to be sure but doesn't worth it, because if it can be a FP reward the chance for that compared to the effort is too low vs just jumping from planet to planet looking in the BM shop without landing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agreed. Always check the stores that you pass on the way to your objective. In an earlier Career during the fist 40 days did this and noticed two Cockpit Mods and a Communications Mod. Not surprisingly, getting those early in the career helped a lot.
To be clear at this point I don't even do that. I just edit the save. Partly because I want to avoid the grind and partly because I want to minimize the inventory to improve loading times.

• 1Like
Reactions: