The winter element is welcomed - But I think having Navies is much more pressing

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so you completely missed my point.
Well, CK3 is kinda a feudalism and tribal simulator. If you try to reflect each political social system of each region you would have 100 different ones and the game wouldn't work. I agree we need maybe 1 or 2 more political game mechanics in order to represent large parts of the map a little better (and we might get that in future updates), but for the purpose of the game this works quite well without taking it to much out of historical context.

But I don't understand the point of navies......the only purpose of navies is to ship troops around. And that is what they did in the past, hiring local merchant ships. The game is doing that right now...yes, and as long a you have cash you will find local trade ships at the coasts.

Reactions:
Did you see me write that they will never introduce it?
I wrote that it's more pressing than winter, which actually implies that I acknowledge that eventually, they will add that into the game, but I wish it was sooner.
But for all we know, they'll introduce more naval depth in the exact same patch as Winter mechanics. It's been one dev diary, one week of information, and you are acting as if it's written off

• 1Like
Reactions:
But for all we know, they'll introduce more naval depth in the exact same patch as Winter mechanics. It's been one dev diary, one week of information, and you are acting as if it's written off
Do we really know that they'll introduce more naval depth in the exact same patch? :0
I didn't know that. Then this post is irrelevant. Thanks!

Reactions:
Do we really know that they'll introduce more naval depth in the exact same patch? :0
I didn't know that. Then this post is irrelevant. Thanks!
I said "for all we know" meaning it very well could happen, but we have no idea - sorry if I got your hopes up. The fact is though we know basically nothing about the next patch/dlc aside from what they have so far shown, which could be the smallest changes they have up their sleeve

• 1Like
Reactions:
There are not any naval battles in CK2, just like there are not any in CK3. Last time I checked "not any" equals "not any". How can you say no?
Maybe not navy against navy but you had many things you could do with your navy that don't exist in CK3.

I don't care specifically about battles but I do want the option to play with ships and to do more tactical things with them.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Maybe not navy against navy but you had many things you could do with your navy that don't exist in CK3.

I don't care specifically about battles but I do want the option to play with ships and to do more tactical things with them.
Cool, let's talk about what they could potentially look like then. Perhaps standing navies could be a tech and they have huge upkeep unfeasible for most. Perhaps we could still construct transports when we need to cross water, similar to the base game, but it takes time and would require a decent source of wood such as forest terrain. Perhaps the amount of merchant ships available to hire is dependent on the state of local trade (gods, I want a proper trade system).

• 1Like
Reactions:

what could you do with your navy in CKII?

Reactions:

Like what?

what could you do with your navy in CKII?
In CK2 you could a) move troops with them, and b) store loot on them (when raiding). AFAIK that's all. Both these functions are now performed by the troops themselves, with the ships being abstracted.

@PaniCaL, what do you mean by "more tactical things" ? Did I forget something? I don't think so, but please enlighten me if I did. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's wrong with the way it was implemented in CK2?
CK2's naval mechanics involved needless micromanagement and nothing more. It's why the feature was removed in CK3. In CK2 navies didn't add anything to warfare or depth. It was just extra button clicks and waiting.

Reactions:
In CK2 you could a) move troops with them, and b) store loot on them (when raiding). AFAIK that's all. Both these functions are now performed by the troops themselves, with the ships being abstracted.

@PaniCaL, what do you mean by "more tactical things" ? Did I forget something? I don't think so, but please enlighten me if I did. :)
I guess that's all.
To be honest, the more I read the comments here, the more I'm convinced that I was wrong and a navy system isn't that important as I thought it is.
Of course, more depth is always welcomed, but I guess other aspects should get attention from the devs before the navy.

• 8Like
Reactions:
CK2's naval mechanics involved needless micromanagement and nothing more. It's why the feature was removed in CK3. In CK2 navies didn't add anything to warfare or depth. It was just extra button clicks and waiting.
To add to this, interacting with CK2 ships was one of the most fiddly, hair-pulling bull-@#$% I've ever experienced. Especially when it came to actually disbanding the raised fleet. You get your fleet assembled and at what you think is the Port. You try to disband them, and get the warning that there will be a penalty because you're in the wrong place. So, you move your fleet a scant centimeter over, try to disband, and it's still the wrong place.

In essence, you wind up shifting your fleet in incremental inches, all over the farking map, which generally takes over five farking minutes, until you get to the one farking tiny little space where you're allowed to disband your fleet.

I'm glad they changed the system for CK3. Now I don't have to waste minutes fiddling here and there just to get boats assembled, get the armies onto the boats, and then, when the war is done, spend more fiddly minutes disbanding the fleet when the simple act of disbanding the fleet could've been done with a simple click...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would absolutely love to see a good navy system implemented, but such a thing would be way outside of the scope of a free update which this seems to be. We also have the first news regarding DLC just around the corner, for all we know that could be a navy one (unlikely, I assume it will probably just be a localized Flavour Pack for a particular region) so complaining about a free update for not being a large in depth new mechanical system is a bit... well, entitled.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.