The winter element is welcomed - But I think having Navies is much more pressing

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaniCaL

Second Lieutenant
31 Badges
Jun 8, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Sure, Winter has a huge impact on the battles and the daily life of people. Especially during the medieval period.
But we still don't have Navy battles! Chasing after armies is basically impossible because they can always simply turn into a boat and run away o_O
This is even more fundamental than winter.

I hope the devs will address that ASAP because it's such an immersive breaker...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Moving to water takes more time than moving by land, if you're close enough you can usually catch them. Also, I'm not sure if naval battles would be fitting, they were rare during this era. It could be a nice addition, but I wouldn't want it to become like EUIV where we're building up large standing navies and fighting campaigns on a naval focused basis. I'd welcome seeing a working proposal for a medieval fitting navy system.

Also, we've no idea what updates are coming with the next DLC. Winter was just a slice of the changes coming.

Reactions:
Moving to water takes more time than moving by land, if you're close enough you can usually catch them. Also, I'm not sure if naval battles would be fitting, they were rare during this era. It could be a nice addition, but I wouldn't want it to become like EUIV where we're building up large standing navies and fighting campaigns on a naval focused basis. I'd welcome seeing a working proposal for a medieval fitting navy system.

Also, we've no idea what updates are coming with the next DLC. Winter was just a slice of the changes coming.
Not like EUIV but like CK2.
I don't think such a basic in-game feature like the navy system will be introduced in a DLC. It will probably come with a regular update.

Reactions:
Not like EUIV but like CK2.
I don't think such a basic in-game feature like the navy system will be introduced in a DLC. It will probably come with a regular update.
Yes, but they tend to release the big updates alongside DLC as part of the same development cycle, which is what I meant.

• 1Like
Reactions:
it's a shame that you can see into the future and know they won't introduce naval mechanics

Reactions:
I don't understand this kind of mockery.
The reason I’m guessing is because naval warfare was one of those things that some people kept constantly asking for in CK2, and when the devs announced that they were doing away with ships in CK3 the same people kept talking about it back then too. It just seems like such a settled thing at this point that naval warfare is not in the cards in the near future.

Reactions:
As others have said, grand naval battles were rare during this time. The main reason vikings were so successful is that you didn't know they were on the seas until it was too late and the local cathedral was already looted. Naval combat would completely unbalance the game. Sorry, vikings, but you can't raid anymore because there's an ahistorical English doom fleet on the seas picking off every little Jarl who is trying to make a few (dis)honest dollars. It's goofy and it wouldn't be fun, IMO.

Reactions:
As others have said, grand naval battles were rare during this time. The main reason vikings were so successful is that you didn't know they were on the seas until it was too late and the local cathedral was already looted. Naval combat would completely unbalance the game. Sorry, vikings, but you can't raid anymore because there's an ahistorical English doom fleet on the seas picking off every little Jarl who is trying to make a few (dis)honest dollars. It's goofy and it wouldn't be fun, IMO.
Alfred the Great did actually build a navy to counter the Norse threat, and they did fight some engagements. Of course, for most English history during this period navies were assembled and disbanded as and when needed.

The Byzantines did maintain a sizable navy and they engaged in plenty of action, especially against people like the Fatimids.

I'm all for some naval play, I just wonder how It could be implemented without getting out of hand, like the 'ahistorical English doom fleet' mentioned.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
it's a shame that you can see into the future and know they won't introduce naval mechanics
Did you see me write that they will never introduce it?
I wrote that it's more pressing than winter, which actually implies that I acknowledge that eventually, they will add that into the game, but I wish it was sooner.

Reactions:
Alfred the Great did actually build a navy to counter the Norse threat, and they did fight some engagements. Of course, for most English history during this period navies were assembled and disbanded as and when needed.

The Byzantines did maintain a sizable navy, and they engaged in plenty of action, especially against people like the Fatimids.

I'm all for some naval play, I just wonder how It could be implemented without getting out of hand, like the 'ahistorical English doomstacks' mentioned.
What's wrong with the way it was implemented in CK2?

What's wrong with the way it was implemented in CK2?

I've no real problem with it, though it kind of avoids the fact that forces would often construct ships specifically for an invasion (like the Norman conquest of England) and not necessarily keep them around afterwards, rather than raise them like levies.

Reactions:
Again, Navies were not a thing in the middle ages.....at least not for 98% percent of the the rulers.....read the history books! Most of the times merchant ships were used to transport troops....and they had to pay for the use. That is covered by the game.....using ships has a hefty price tag.....

Last edited:
Reactions:
Did you see me write that they will never introduce it?
I wrote that it's more pressing than winter, which actually implies that I acknowledge that eventually, they will add that into the game, but I wish it was sooner.

I don't agree that it is more pressing than winter. Winter overall adds much more atmosphere and gameplay at a lot of major places of the map. It will affect a lot of playtime. Navies is the only feature I am really not waiting for and could care less if they never introduce it. I am kinda glad that they didn't bring it back like thay had it in CK2....this was one of the more annoying micro management parts of the game....

Reactions:
Again, Navies were not a thing in the middle ages.....at least not for 98% percent of the the rulers.....read the history books!
Neither was western european feudalism, yet 90% of the world gets feudalism with a different wallpaper, which DLCs probably wont fix unless they somehow make you play IR when you play someone like the Byzantines.

Reactions:
Neither was western european feudalism, yet 90% of the world gets feudalism with a different wallpaper, which DLCs probably wont fix unless they somehow make you play IR when you play someone like the Byzantines.
Neither was western European feudalism? Not quite correct, its true that parts of Europe had almost no feudalism (e.g. Italy), but especially Western Europe had the strongest feudalism, with Normandy and then France with the strongest feudalism, as well as England, and HRE to the most part a little later, but the HRE Emperor was never really as powerful as the French King in his kingdom. The German princes never wanted a very powerful HRE Emperor and that why they tried to keep the emperors power as small as possible. The HRE emperors never had a real power grip outside their own families domain.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Neither was western European feudalism? Not quite correct, its true that parts of Europe had almost no feudalism (e.g. Italy), but especially Western Europe had the strongest feudalism, with Normandy and then France with the strongest feudalism, as well as England and HRE to the most part.
Ok so you completely missed my point.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.