Civic Inventions Tree Preference

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does the global settlement slot mean that you can build 2 settlements per territory? If so then yeah it's really good.
Yes, it means exactly that, but you also need the money to actually make use of that.

I actually don't know yet, which path is best, but the start seems to always be 4 inventions into religion for that slave happiness tech and 6 into martial for forced march (the left path with additional army speed), simply because out-manouvering your enemies is such a huge advantage.

Yes, it means exactly that, but you also need the money to actually make use of that.

I actually don't know yet, which path is best, but the start seems to always be 4 inventions into religion for that slave happiness tech and 6 into martial for forced march (the left path with additional army speed), simply because out-manouvering your enemies is such a huge advantage.
I go for the Legion in capital province if I don't start with one, then civic... But I have the issue that I dont get troops like they should be distributed. As Rome f.ex I only get Light Cav, so HI Legions are a godsend.

Does the global settlement slot mean that you can build 2 settlements per territory? If so then yeah it's really good.
The settlement building are all one per territory, mind, so you can't double stack farms or the like. I'm kind of skeptical of the utility, to be honest- except for putting slave estates on farms and mines I don't know what I'd want to do with a second slot most of the time.

Urban strikes me as much better; I can always find a use for another slot in a city.

Reactions:
IMO rural absolutely. Urban depends on much you wanna build. But I'd say yes too.
I did rushed Urban Planning playing a tribal campaign, wanted to get my tech up so I needed to make turning Western France into like 30 cities quicker and more affordable. Seems like a strong tech to rush for if you plan to urbanize.

By the late game I was out teching the older civilization like Rome, Carthage and Egypt despite starting at tech 0. I think Urban Planning might be really good if you need to build a new urban center for your empire rather than being able to conquer one or start with one.

Reactions:
In my 1st game (as Argos), I figured the pathetic population (24+1) you start with warranted going Oratory -> Census Data -> Approved Familia for the 10 free pops.
Also gets you an extra relation slot, a load of free province investments and some other stuff.

Tbh though I doubt it's a good strat given the levy floor of 4.
If your starting integrated pop was ~38-39, it'd make a whole lot more sense as it'd push you up from 4 levies, to 6.

It does give you excellent research efficiency early on, though again, Argos is suboptimal as you actually have too many nobles for your pop, and some end up demoting.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The settlement building are all one per territory, mind, so you can't double stack farms or the like. I'm kind of skeptical of the utility, to be honest- except for putting slave estates on farms and mines I don't know what I'd want to do with a second slot most of the time.

Urban strikes me as much better; I can always find a use for another slot in a city.
You can combo slave estate + (mine / farm), or even a Port for more civ and increased population to get you more surplus goods.

But I do agree that cities look more efficient in the early game.

It really depends on who I'm playing as. In my Carthage campaign, I went heavily into oratory and religious for province and character loyalty, conversion, and assimilation. In my Syracuse campaign, I went for military and civic, and in my planned Selucud campaign I'll probably return to oratory and religious. This is what I like about the new tech system: it feels like different nations should take different paths because of different starts.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I turned my settled tribe into a monarchy, am actively improving my research and am finally getting invention points. Now I'm wondering what I should do with those points. I can go for the inventions that increase my research so I can catch up with tech and inventions or I can also go for inventions that increase my income with which I can build more cities and buildings which indirectly also increase my research.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I turned my settled tribe into a monarchy, am actively improving my research and am finally getting invention points. Now I'm wondering what I should do with those points. I can go for the inventions that increase my research so I can catch up with tech and inventions or I can also go for inventions that increase my income with which I can build more cities and buildings which indirectly also increase my research.
What is your immediate threat?

What is your immediate threat?
I don't have any in Gaul for the moment and I can take on multiple countries at the same time. Carthage is focussing on North Africa and is ignoring Spain while Rome decided to go east. So my focus atm is on developing my country and expanding further.

You will face them at the same time in the future, you should investigate how many levies they have compared to you. Beware, turning onwards to build your country to face in 50 years two enemies with double your levies (with HI and HC). What do you have as units?

How much do you do on commerce? You should be over 100/month, they are doing it.

You will face them at the same time in the future, you should investigate how many levies they have compared to you. Beware, turning onwards to build your country to face in 50 years two enemies with double your levies (with HI and HC). What do you have as units?

How much do you do on commerce? You should be over 100/month, they are doing it.
My levy composition is more or less 10% light cavalry, 15% chariots, 35% light infantry and 40% heavy infantry like the tooltip says. I'm not that bothered with my levy composition. I should have more heavy infantry than Rome/Carthage and even the chariots will counter any light infantry or archers either have. On top of that it seems that barbarians get a better military invention tree with extra light/heavy infantry and cavalry buffs. I can still easily expand and integrate a number of large populations in Gaul as well.

So I think that the best would be to keep investing into research to get more invention points that I can spend on military inventions. I'm just wondering which way is the better way. To use my points directly on inventions that increase my research or to use them indirectly on research by using them on inventions that increase my income that I then can spend on building more cities that will make me more money and research.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My levy composition is more or less 10% light cavalry, 15% chariots, 35% light infantry and 40% heavy infantry like the tooltip says. I'm not that bothered with my levy composition. I should have more heavy infantry than Rome/Carthage and even the chariots will counter any light infantry or archers either have. On top of that it seems that barbarians get a better military invention tree with extra light/heavy infantry and cavalry buffs. I can still easily expand and integrate a number of large populations in Gaul as well.

So I think that the best would be to keep investing into research to get more invention points that I can spend on military inventions. I'm just wondering which way is the better way. To use my points directly on inventions that increase my research or to use them indirectly on research by using them on inventions that increase my income that I then can spend on building more cities that will make me more money and research.
it realy depends what your research efficiency is and how far behind or ahead you are. I don't see a point in the +max research inventions unless you're 50 years or more behind in tech. The reason for this is, that if you go beyond 100% research efficiency you'll end up pretty much on the same tech level end game, because the ahead of time penalty is very strong. Others may disagree, but I don't see one additional tech level being worth it taking out several inventions + the investment you have to make to actuell get reseach efficiency to max.
These resources are better spend elsewhere.

Reactions:
. I'm just wondering which way is the better way. To use my points directly on inventions that increase my research or to use them indirectly on research by using them on inventions that increase my income that I then can spend on building more cities that will make me more money and research.
Good question. Whatever you decide, let us known what was the result.

I would go for the inventions to increase research, as I like integrating cultures and my research ratio is always sub max. On the trade side, I am still doubtful that you can increase it at the same rate as the game progresses. @religiousphanatic has already experimented some diminishing results.

on a final note, I will always choose happiness, what is the score of the game for?

it realy depends what your research efficiency is and how far behind or ahead you are. I don't see a point in the +max research inventions unless you're 50 years or more behind in tech. The reason for this is, that if you go beyond 100% research efficiency you'll end up pretty much on the same tech level end game, because the ahead of time penalty is very strong. Others may disagree, but I don't see one additional tech level being worth it taking out several inventions + the investment you have to make to actuell get reseach efficiency to max.
These resources are better spend elsewhere.
My research efficiency 51.57% atm and I'm only at January 516 so I'm probably 3 or 4 techs behind at the most. I'm going to build more cities for more income and research. I got lucky with a few breakthroughs so I'm sitting at 8 invention points atm with 2 more coming within the next year.
Good question. Whatever you decide, let us known what was the result.

I would go for the inventions to increase research, as I like integrating cultures and my research ratio is always sub max. On the trade side, I am still doubtful that you can increase it at the same rate as the game progresses. @religiousphanatic has already experimented some diminishing results.

on a final note, I will always choose happiness, what is the score of the game for?
I think that I'm going to focus on income and then build more cities for more income and research. That way if need be I can always hire more mercenaries or build a big legion if need be.

Reactions:
My research efficiency 51.57% atm and I'm only at January 516 so I'm probably 3 or 4 techs behind at the most. I'm going to build more cities for more income and research. I got lucky with a few breakthroughs so I'm sitting at 8 invention points atm with 2 more coming within the next year.

I think that I'm going to focus on income and then build more cities for more income and research. That way if need be I can always hire more mercenaries or build a big legion if need be.
You can check their military tech in the diplomacy screen. The others are usually +-1

Reactions:

Civic tree then, isn't it?

You can check their military tech in the diplomacy screen. The others are usually +-1
Rome is at 5 and I'm almost at 3. Also thank you for the info. I thought they removed that.
Civic tree then, isn't it?
Yeah, I went the left tree. The barbarian version of the right tree unfortunately does not have inventions like Stoicism/Epicureanism and the 3x 10% commerce income inventions making most of the right tree useless for income.

• 1Like
Reactions: