Cities: Skylines (Steam) - White Epileptic flashing every time i click on the disaster risk for an incoming disaster.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

orcaben

Private
2 Badges
Feb 4, 2018
  • Surviving Mars
  • Prison Architect
Describe your issue
White Epileptic flashing every time i click on the disaster risk for an incoming disaster.

What is your game version?
1.13.1-f1

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Natural Disasters, Mass Transit, Green Cities, Parklife, Industries, Campus

What mods are you using?
25 spaces by klyte45, auto line budget 21, auto repair mod compatibility checker, automatic bulldoze v2 by mexahuk, camera positions utility, choose your rocket by bloodypenguin, emergency lights manager, find it 1.5.4, first person camera by tony56a, harmony 2.0.4 mod dependency by boformer, mini fps booster by krzychu1245, move it 2.9.1 by quboid, network extensions 2 by sniggledigit, network tiling by ronyx69, quay anarchy by bloodypenguin, shadowstrengthadjuster by ronyx69, sharp textures by ronyx69, TM:pE 11.5.0 LABS Manage your city's traffic by aubergine18, Tree brush by destroyer, tree LOD fix by TPB, Tree movement control by TPB, autolinecolor redux, ultimate eyecandy 1.5.2 by judazzz, unlimited trees mod by kjmci. The Map i am playing on is the Oasis by IhmeHihhuli (and wayyyy to many assets to name from my game)

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
playing the game for a few days, no problems then out of no where, every time i click on the disaster risk section on an incoming distaster (where it shows where the disaster will hit) my screen does an epileptic flash, now i'm not epileptic (thankfully) but it gives me a bloody headache to hell and ruins the game. I've turned off all the mods, still the same, turned off all the assests, still the same, got rid of my color corrections, still the same, installed different color corrections, still the same.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Create a world, play the world, wait for a disaster or spawn one in, then click on the little icon for the disaster to bring up where it's going to hit but in all my years of playing this game, not once have i came across this before.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    441,3 KB · Views: 0
  • NewSave.crp
    9,5 MB · Views: 0
  • Broken but awesome.crp
    9,5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does it happen with the launch options -noWorkshop and -disableMods added to Steam as well? The test would have to be on a new map so be unaffected by mods, and we would need the output_log.txt from it, if the issue still happens then.

The DxDiag.tx would also be useful here.
  • From anywhere in Windows, press and hold the Windows key (on the bottom-right of your keyboard, between Ctrl and Alt) and simultaneously press R
  • The Run dialog will appear
  • Type "dxdiag" and press Enter
  • The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will appear, showing all of your system information
  • Click on "Save All Information..." at the bottom of the window
  • Optionally rename the file and then save it to a location of your choice
  • Attach it to a reply here

Heya, thanks for your response, i've now added my savegame crp, also how do i add those launch options to steam?
Right-Click on the game in your Steam library, properties. They go in the Launch Options field there.

Does it happen with the launch options -noWorkshop and -disableMods added to Steam as well? The test would have to be on a new map so be unaffected by mods, and we would need the output_log.txt from it, if the issue still happens then.

The DxDiag.tx would also be useful here.
  • From anywhere in Windows, press and hold the Windows key (on the bottom-right of your keyboard, between Ctrl and Alt) and simultaneously press R
  • The Run dialog will appear
  • Type "dxdiag" and press Enter
  • The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will appear, showing all of your system information
  • Click on "Save All Information..." at the bottom of the window
  • Optionally rename the file and then save it to a location of your choice
  • Attach it to a reply here
After subscribing all workshop and restarting the game, the saved game crashes to desktop immediately. I also get a missing theme at load, and it asks to use default theme. It vanishes immediately after clicking yes and doesn't try to load anymore.
I forgot to mention the map that i was playing on if that makes any difference, i've added it to my original message, but i don't know what to say, that doesn't happen to me and isn't the problem i'm reporting so yeah, not sure, i downloaded a different map and loaded that up and it said the same thing with a missing theme but it lets me load it fine,, i just downloaded the stuff on the workplace and anything other it told me to download and it works fine so yeah not sure bro.

Last edited:
I just added the unlock all milestones and unlimited money mods to the ones i've already got installed to make another same game to test if it does the same, new save game, same map, same mods, same everything as listed above, and it does the exact same thing however when i load up another save game, this time, same mods, same assets, same everything BUT on the Marin Bay map instead of the Oasis map, it DOESN'T do the epileptic fit, so i'm now assuming it's got something to do with that map specifically and not anything else? Hope to hear back from someone soon! Also just tried installing another map form the workplace, brought up a problem with a missing theme, launched with default, loaded in fine, and tested the same thing, no flashing, so i'm assuming it's got something to do with that Oasis map, not sure what or how to fix it though.

Last edited:
Maybe the saved game is corrupt, try posting a new saved game for me to try. I even slowly removed workshop to see if it would load. and still no luck. It does the exact same thing everytime.

Here's a log file for anyone who reads log files, I can never make sense of these log files.

EDIT:

Maybe post the saved game to your Steam workshop? It might be easier.

From game's main menu, go to content manager, savegames, find city, click share, make public, copy & paste link here.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    128 KB · Views: 0
Maybe the saved game is corrupt, try posting a new saved game for me to try. I even slowly removed workshop to see if it would load. and still no luck. It does the exact same thing everytime.

Here's a log file for anyone who reads log files, I can never make sense of these log files.

EDIT:

Maybe post the saved game to your Steam workshop? It might be easier.

From game's main menu, go to content manager, savegames, find city, click share, make public, copy & paste link here.
Just went onto the game and did a new save, posted it here "broken but awesome.crp" see if that works :)

OK, I got smart and went to my other PC and loaded the game just fine with Network Extensions 2 (NExt2) only.

I'm in the disaster detection menu. All looks fine.

So, does it flicker all of the time? Or only when disaster strikes? or when does it do it?

OK, I got smart and went to my other PC and loaded the game just fine with Network Extensions 2 (NExt2) only.

I'm in the disaster detection menu. All looks fine.

So, does it flicker all of the time? Or only when disaster strikes? or when does it do it?
when a disaster strikes and you click the disaster overview that is then when it flickers so if you load in, spawn a disaster and click on the overview, then you should see it

OK, I spawned some disasters without issues. all looks fine in the disasters overview. maybe it is some graphical mod or setting you have configured?

I tried again with all workshop subscribed without issue.
when the disaster is happening, at the top left, when you click that icon and it shows the map white and then red where it's going to hit, that's where it happens, otherwise, it only happens then, on that map, everything is the same in my game as the stuff i have listed above, as i said above, made a new game with the same map, same issue, a different map, no issue, so i dunno what to tell ya and i dunno what to do lol

when the disaster is happening, at the top left, when you click that icon and it shows the map white and then red where it's going to hit, that's where it happens, otherwise, it only happens then, on that map, everything is the same in my game as the stuff i have listed above, as i said above, made a new game with the same map, same issue, a different map, no issue, so i dunno what to tell ya and i dunno what to do lol

Well, the first thing you can tell me, is the actual name of buttons you are selecting. If you hover over them for a second, they will tell you their names.

But I do not get a white scxreen at all.

On the "Disasters Overview" button I get a grading map from blue to green to white at the edges outside of your "actual city" limits. That's the only white I see.

I just added the unlock all milestones and unlimited money mods to the ones i've already got installed to make another same game to test if it does the same, new save game, same map, same mods, same everything as listed above, and it does the exact same thing however when i load up another save game, this time, same mods, same assets, same everything BUT on the Marin Bay map instead of the Oasis map, it DOESN'T do the epileptic fit, so i'm now assuming it's got something to do with that map specifically and not anything else? Hope to hear back from someone soon! Also just tried installing another map form the workplace, brought up a problem with a missing theme, launched with default, loaded in fine, and tested the same thing, no flashing, so i'm assuming it's got something to do with that Oasis map, not sure what or how to fix it though.

Did you also test with the launch options in place? If not that would be the next step to test those, on the Oasis map where it seems to happen. Then if it does happen then too, we would need the output_log.txt from after that attempt. Hopefully that would give some indication as to what's causing it.

To add the launch options:
  1. Right-click on Cities: Skylines and select properties
  2. Put the launch options in the box making sure they are exactly like this: -noWorkshop -disableMods
  3. Close the window to apply them
And to remove them again you do the same and just delete them in step 2 instead.

Attachments

• LaunchOptions.png
    LaunchOptions.png
    246,6 KB · Views: 0
Well, the first thing you can tell me, is the actual name of buttons you are selecting. If you hover over them for a second, they will tell you their names.

But I do not get a white scxreen at all.

On the "Disasters Overview" button I get a grading map from blue to green to white at the edges outside of your "actual city" limits. That's the only white I see.
bruv, spawn a disaster in, then on the top left tells you the icon of the incoming disaster, then click that icon and it shows you the disaster risk, showing you were it's going to hit, that's where it flashes.

Did you also test with the launch options in place? If not that would be the next step to test those, on the Oasis map where it seems to happen. Then if it does happen then too, we would need the output_log.txt from after that attempt. Hopefully that would give some indication as to what's causing it.

To add the launch options:
  1. Right-click on Cities: Skylines and select properties
  2. Put the launch options in the box making sure they are exactly like this: -noWorkshop -disableMods
  3. Close the window to apply them
And to remove them again you do the same and just delete them in step 2 instead.
no i haven't tested that because if i launch the game with no workshop or mods then wouldn't that just mean i can't load my workshop map and the mods i'm playing on in said map?

bruv, spawn a disaster in, then on the top left tells you the icon of the incoming disaster, then click that icon and it shows you the disaster risk, showing you were it's going to hit, that's where it flashes.

It would be awesome if you could actually examine the buttons yourself. I didn't ask you to look for me, I asked your to look for yourself, so then, you'd know I did exactly what you said and had no issues whatsoever.

Everything works fine for me.

no i haven't tested that because if i launch the game with no workshop or mods then wouldn't that just mean i can't load my workshop map and the mods i'm playing on in said map?

The saved game contains the map internally. It also has a list of all workshop, so you can retrieve them at will, in whole or in part.

By doing what he asks, you could have figured out if the game will load without them, and know if maybe a config file for mods are your issue(s).

My bad, I was thinking of the vanilla map named Oasis. Hmm, it seems like it's tied to the map for you, which means it's likely mod related in some way.

You never added the DxDiag.txt file, could you make one and attach here please? I'd like to have a look at your drivers to see if there's anything there we might be able to try.

It would be awesome if you could actually examine the buttons yourself. I didn't ask you to look for me, I asked your to look for yourself, so then, you'd know I did exactly what you said and had no issues whatsoever.

Everything works fine for me.

The saved game contains the map internally. It also has a list of all workshop, so you can retrieve them at will, in whole or in part.

By doing what he asks, you could have figured out if the game will load without them, and know if maybe a config file for mods are your issue(s).
Bruv, your pressing the wrong button, not the disasters overview in the drop down menu at the top left, the little menu that opens horizontally that shows the icon of the type of disaster that is incoming, you click it, and it's the disaster risk, that then shows white, area not effected and red, where it will hit, that's where it does it :)