Elements of bad user experience from the previous UI are still present in the new one... Some of the new changes are actually a downgrade.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another intriguing tooltip.

Great expense, but what? How much?

And am I suffering from it right now? Why am I even suffering because it says first fort costs 3 and subsequent ones cost 1 each. I am only having 2 so it should cost 4?

Can we have break downs of it?

Attachments

• 1613636125077.png
    1613636125077.png
    4,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hear me out on this. I love the work the developers have done on the 2.0 update, but there are a lot of missed opportunities with the new UI. More specifically, to remedy the drawbacks of the previous UI which would improve the user experience. The worst part about it is that it is incredibly simple but obvious (to me as a player) stuff.

The purpose of an UI is ultimately to provide control and convey information to the player. While I appreciate the new art, there are various UI elements that are handled in an incredibly nonsensical and counter-intuitive way. These shortcomings just ruined the experience before and continue to ruin the experience now. I have seen them get brought up before, but ultimately these suggestions just did not make their way into the game. With that being said, let me delve into the specifics and show you what I mean.

With the new update there are limits on some buildings and this is communicated in the tooltip. Other buildings however have to be researched. How is the information about what needs to be researched in order for a building to become available communicated to the player. Is it in conveyed in an intuitive manner? Absolutely not. Your first instinct as a player is to hold your mouse cursor over the BUILDING ICON which will hopefully contain such information, right? Wrong.

View attachment 682082

Do you see any mention of why I can not build a Great Temple? Such information is nowhere to be seen. Instead, this vital piece of information is separated into another tooltip in the most counter-intuitive way imaginable - you have to hold your mouse cursor over the building counter.....

View attachment 682088

The same story when I try to import trade resources. My initial intuition is to hold the mouse cursor over the RESOURCE ICON only for absolutely nothing to happen...

View attachment 682090

Of course, you have to hold your mouse cursor over the name instead...

View attachment 682093

And I wish that these were my only gripes but they are not. The game is full of annoying cases similar to what I pointed out above. And this does not even include obviously stupid decisions like making it hard to distinguish which resources are available for import or not (this tiny cyan highlight barely does anything, I am sorry) or having green modifier numbers against a Cyan background, making it an absolutely cancerous experience to read/decipher.

I urge other players to give similar specific examples as well. I thought they were painfully obvious but apparently not. A pretty UI only goes so far - it must be functional.

Why do I have to feel like I am fighting the UI? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

In some aspects, the UI is actually a downgrade. A good example is the option to upgrade a city... Why is it hidden away? You can click on the settlement/city section of the art but not on the terrain one... If something looks and feels like a button, then there is a good chance that the player will attempt to click it. The option to upgrade a city is presented as background art, yet the player has to guess and treat it like a button that opens up hidden options. Incredibly frustrating.

View attachment 682108

You know a UI feature is bad when players have to post on the forums to ask how to do certain things:

You could have the best product/service in the world, but if the customer can not use it, or is inhibited, then no one will use the product.
Paradox has always been leaps behind in UX & UI i think that is the one place they need to really step up their game and invest money into wisely.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, the new UI is, largely, OK. But, nonetheless, I lack the list of territories in the province to interact with. And the information about the buildings should be presented better (I've fiugured it out eventually, but we must have the possibility to see the prerequisites directly). Moreover I think that the macrobuilder is still underdeveloped, it is great that we can now destroy buildings via it, but we need the ability to see total number of buildings ant their types in the cities. It is more or less simlple with the settlements, but to build in the cities I must to click the city directly to see the existing buildings and only then start new construction, this micromanagement can be reduced if we are able to see all buildings via macrobuilder.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So Crusader Kings isn't the "mediaeval" game, it's the "character-focused" game, and thus no other game in the stable can have character mechanics, because that would be stepping on CK's toes (??). And any discussion of whether or not those character mechanics would be appropriate for a representation of the classical period is somehow irrelevant (???).

Of course not. Imperator Rome is a good example of a game that doesn't hyperfocus on a certain aspect (even though it's moving in the direction of a civilization builder). It's nothing wrong with having character mechanics, but the person I replied to was talking about wanting I:R to delve even deeper into the roleplaying aspect than CK3 currently does - and that would probably work better with an antiquity mod to a game that already shares the same focus than to design a brand new game about it.

Reactions:
Since this is now the unofficial UI issues mega-thread, I'll post some more. Some annoying UI issues (I have noticed so far), visual edition:

Text divides with only a single letter on the second line:

1613656508901.png

1613656677981.png

This one is really bothering me:

The icons stay enlarged if I move the cursor away from the left bar. That way I can enlarge all of them even though they are not selected.

EDIT: Finally managed to embed a video here. :D I thought it was possible to just upload it here but apparently it doesn't work.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I think the above are clear examples of rushing the thing out, and that sufficient resources weren't given over to the project. That's why it looks pretty, but lacks polish, and also falls short on functionality.

Reactions:
Also could the glowing borders be removed every time, not only some of the time? The original bug is gone but it still isn't perfect.

Example of how it doesn't work:

1. Open diplomacy. You get the highlighted borders.
  2. Open a different tab (say government). Borders are still highlighted.
  3. Close the open tab. Borders are still highlighted.
You actually have to open diplomacy again and then close diplomacy to get rid of the glowing borders (or open and close a territory view somewhere... I am sure there are other methods still).

Different issue with glowing borders:

1. Click on a territory. Borders get highlighted.
  2. Open diplomacy (by right-clicking the map). Territory is still highlighted.
  3. Close the diplomacy window. Territory is still highlighted.
This one is not so bad since almost anything removes the glow (clicking the sea, opening a different tab) but still should be fixed.

Reactions:
And while I'm at it, could you please fix the migration animations?

1. They get removed every time I switch to a different territory and I need to close and open the Pop Info window to see them again.
  2. I have encountered situations where the animation shows briefly but then disappears. It could be caused by the amount of pops/migrations but I am not sure.

Reactions:
And while I'm at it, could you please fix the migration animations?

1. They get removed every time I switch to a different territory and I need to close and open the Pop Info window to see them again.
  2. I have encountered situations where the animation shows briefly but then disappears. It could be caused by the amount of pops/migrations but I am not sure.
I already made a bug report about that, since it still worked in 1.5

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think that's gone, as buildings now have +civ values attached to them (so you build to increase civ value---which makes sense).
ah my capital is a settlement and can only have 1 slot to build taken, how do i increase civ level to make a city? so i can have more slot to build.

Edit: I found it, it's one of the paintings in the background

I think 'revoke city status' shouldn't be a thing, it should be a upgrading experience, but if we need it at least have a different picture and have it furthest to the right ( maybe of a burning house instead) looks too much like the settlement picture

and yes looks like the requirement is no longer there, just need to pay ALOT of Gold which is ok .

Last edited:
Is there a min civilisation value for founding cities? I haven't seen one as the Scordisci.

It's expensive, but tribes have a lot of gold now.

Is there a min civilisation value for founding cities? I haven't seen one as the Scordisci.

It's expensive, but tribes have a lot of gold now.
There isn't. But tribes have some funny laws to further increase the price from 250 to 375. You need 40 Centralisation to change that funny law into something else.

There isn't. But tribes have some funny laws to further increase the price from 250 to 375. You need 40 Centralisation to change that funny law into something else.
Actually you need 50 centralisation and at 60 you can do tribal reform, thereby loosing it anyway.

Btw, I don't think tribes have more money now. Income is about the same, you just don't have to pay for inventions anymore when you finally manage to tech up.

Actually you need 50 centralisation and at 60 you can do tribal reform, thereby loosing it anyway.

Btw, I don't think tribes have more money now. Income is about the same, you just don't have to pay for inventions anymore when you finally manage to tech up.

You're also not paying upkeep on levies all the time. Expenses are way way down, you can pull together a couple of hundred gold relatively quickly.