• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shortymus

Recruit
24 Badges
Feb 11, 2021
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Booted up Stellaris to play this evening to unwind and it looks like the launcher will no longer allow me to manage steam mods;

1613079102212.png

If I go to the mods tab it just lets me access mods from the Paradox site. Restarted steam multiple times, is anyone else experiencing this or have a fix?

1613079154881.png

If I click play it loads with the last mods I used but won't let me add or remove any.

TIA!

Reactions:
I have the same issue except I can't start the game. It crashes the moment I press "Play" in the game.
I've been playing a bit, took a break and turned off the game. Turned it on an hour later only to find out that weird launcher and I instantly facepalmed.
I turned on the game, Selected my race, turned on Iron man (it allowed achievements) pressed "play" and I was returned to desktop - crashed. I'm not even surprised. I wanted to check the mods installed but there are no mods. The mods are gone.
Tomorrow maybe I'll test some stuff with cleaning and unsubscribing the mods from steam but right now I don't even care.

Is nemesis this close? Should I find another game to play for few months until it's stable and playable? BTW I haven't signed up for beta this time round, lol.

Upvote 0
I see Steam mods in my installation, interesting. I guess go through this please!

- unsubscribe from all mods
- delete the folder Documents/paradox/Stellaris/mod/
- delete the file Documents/paradox/Stellaris/mods_registry.json
- delete the file Documents/paradox/Stellaris/launcher-v2.sqlite
- subscribe to a few mods
- run the game up and see if those mods are now available to you.

Upvote 0
I see Steam mods in my installation, interesting. I guess go through this please!

Yeah, that didn't work. It's thoroughly borked for me.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that didn't work. It's thoroughly borked for me.
Add C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.1/paradox launcher.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

If that doesn't work let's try a clean reinstall of the launcher too.

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

Upvote 0
Adding the launcher as an exception to the antivirus software (Avast) shows the mods on the launcher for me. However, when I actually launch the game, the mods are not loaded in the game even though actual files are present in Steam Workshop folder. I've tried verifying the local file cache, redownloading the workshop contents, reinstall and other standard troubleshooting methods. Curiously, it only seems to affect the steam workshop contents. All other mods that are installed in local Stellaris mod directory are working fine.

Upvote 0
Welp. Yesterday I only removed mod folder from the stellaris documents folder, reinstalled the game and tried launching it a few times. Avast thought for a moment that the new launcher is suspicious and its action (I think the launcher tried to modify a modlist file or something else, didn't take screenshot for that) as a part of ransomware protection so I clicked the button "this action is alright". I launched the game that time and it still didn't launch the game properly (two times). I turned the PC off and I went to sleep, then in the morning I woke up and saw this.

All my mods are back on the list, but not loading in the game. There are only 2 mods in the "mods" folder.
Did the modlist for launcher change anyhow from previous launcher? Maybe it wasn't updated properly and it tried to load older one instead while crashing the game.

1613119778166.png

I unsubbed, launched the launcher closed it and subbed again one mod that wasn't loading properly then I launched it again and did this.

1613121151557.png

Spoiler: It worked only for that one mod, and I have 3 mods in the "mods" folder xD

It seems you have to unsubscribe all mods, play the launcher (you don't have to load the game) then you close it and subscribe the mods again and play the game.
So I unsubscribed all mods, "All installed mods" is empty, meanwhile playset is still full... Reloading all mods didn't clean it so I'm removing it one by one and I'm back to the clean launcher. (Protip: Open the mods in a new tab using middle mouse button so you can easily find and resubscribe them later).

Now (probably) all the mods are back in the folder and they launch in the game.

TL;DR:
-antivirus or something probably blocked launcher from downloading mods from steam,
-unsubscribe all mods (Protip: Open the mods in a new tab using middle mouse button so you can easily find and resubscribe them later),
-open the launcher from steam,
-when you see you have no mods installed, but still have them in playlist: remove them from playlist (just to be sure)
-also I have "reloaded all mods" but I'm not sure if it did anything at all,
-close launcher,
-subscribe to all your mods and open launcher,
-load mods and play.

I hope it helps you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Booted up Stellaris to play this evening to unwind and it looks like the launcher will no longer allow me to manage steam mods;

View attachment 680343

If I go to the mods tab it just lets me access mods from the Paradox site. Restarted steam multiple times, is anyone else experiencing this or have a fix?

View attachment 680344
If I click play it loads with the last mods I used but won't let me add or remove any.

TIA!
Yeah, this is the same thing that happened in January. They released an in development launcher (version 2020.17). They "fixed" the issue by re-releasing 2020.16 (although the folder/files downloaded said 2020.17.1). 2021.1 appears to be the same exact launcher as 2020.17 with all of the same Steam Workshop Mod related issues. Read all about the 2020.17 release here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/unplanned-launcher-release-of-2020-17.1453117/

Upvote 0
Yeah, this is the same thing that happened in January. They released an in development launcher (version 2020.17). They "fixed" the issue by re-releasing 2020.16 (although the folder/files downloaded said 2020.17.1). 2021.1 appears to be the same exact launcher as 2020.17 with all of the same Steam Workshop Mod related issues. Read all about the 2020.17 release here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/unplanned-launcher-release-of-2020-17.1453117/
2021.1 does not have all the same issues that the accidental release of 2020.17 did, for instance the Javascript error.

The process two posts above yours does seem to work for pretty much everyone. Here's my version of it:

Add Stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list. You should add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.1/paradox launcher.exe to that list.

I hope that does it for you!

Upvote 0
The only way i get it to work, is to disable my Avast Antivirus.
as long as my Antivirus is running, no mods.
As above, if you except the game and launcher .exe files it should work. You may need to contact Avast support to get that set up right.

Upvote 0
Followed all of the above to get the below process to work;

- Unsubscribe from all mods
- Uninstall and delete launcher folders
- Reinstall launcher
- Add exception to Avast
- Resubscribe to mods
- Play Stellaris with mods

Thanks folks!

Upvote 0