• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #200: The Custodian

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back again with yet another dev diary; number 200 in fact. It sure has been a very exciting journey for Stellaris, and I think it is only going to get better! Nemesis is shaping up to be a very interesting addition to Stellaris, and today we thought we would talk about another headline feature for our upcoming expansion – namely the Custodian.

While some empires seek to set the universe on fire, others need to find their destiny as its defender. As we mentioned last week, the Galactic Community will get their own tools to fight the crisis, and that is what they can do by electing their chief crisis fighter.

We are setting the stage for these two nemeses to battle over the fate of the galaxy, and it is up to you who will win.

Becoming the Custodian
As soon as there is a Galactic Council, the Galactic Community can propose to elect one of the council members to become the Custodian. It is possible to have multiple proposals going at once, but as soon as a resolution is passed that elects a Custodian, others cannot be proposed anymore, as the choice has already been made.

1613033770855.png

Concrete evidence that my lithoids should rock the Custodianship.

The AI is more likely to vote for a Custodian when there is some sort of crisis going on, which can be a Marauder crisis, end-game crisis, “Become the Crisis”-crisis or any of the other things that can happen.

1613033786116.png

Time to get to work.

Powers of the Custodian
In order to be effective at their role, the Custodian must gain access to some special powers. The Custodian may need to be able to affect which resolutions move to the Senate Floor, so they have extended powers to be able to influence that more directly.

1613033803256.png

The Custodian in the Galactic Community.

Prematurely End Session: A Custodian can end the current session after half of its voting period, which will pass or reject the resolution being voted on depending on the voting situation at the time.

Emergency Measures: The Custodian can use the Emergency Measures power to send a proposal to the Senate Floor, but has a much lower cooldown than regular council members.

Shared Intel: The Custodian will gain some Intel on all other members of the Galactic Community, such as knowing their Relative Fleet Power.

Freezing proposals: The custodian can pay 200 influence to freeze a resolution for 4 years, making it impossible for the resolution to move to the Senate Floor for the duration.

1613033846161.png

Brrrr. Will you be resolute and wait it out..?

Custodial Resolutions
There are a number of new Resolutions that are tied to the Custodian. Let’s take a look at some of them:

1613033871489.png

1613033891412.png1613033917554.png1613033939548.png1613033960672.png1613033980974.png1613034008468.png

1613034026085.png1613034055882.png1613034070782.png1613034086591.png

Galactic Defense Force
In order to protect the galaxy from threats from within and from beyond, the Custodian is able to construct ships for a Galactic Defense Force. The GDF is very similar to a federation fleet in the way it works, with the exception that it’s under the control of the current Custodian.

Should there cease to be a Custodian, the GDF will become an independent entity until a new Custodian is established.

1613034110933.png

Once again, similar to federation ships, the GDF ships can be designed in the ship designer., which can be accessed from the Galactic Community UI.

1613034141288.png

GDF? Ship just got real.

A Galaxy on Fire
After you have gloriously hammered the crisis into obscurity, your service as a Custodian is no longer needed, and the powers that came with the responsibility could be returned.

Maybe it was a really tough fight, a war the galaxy is sure to remember, and maybe you needed to ask the Galactic Community for more powers in order to win against the crisis – powers that you may not want to give up so easily...

This very much captures what we are trying to do with Nemesis. After one crisis has been defeated, maybe the next one is just around the corner… and this time it's a diplomatic one.

• 182Like
  • 57Love
Reactions:
So Nemesis won't work without Federation?

Great idea, anyway

P.S. TO all dislikers - What are you respectfully disagree with?
The Galactic Comunity is in the base game, you just get special features like the galactic council with Federations

Also, the “Glimrock” empire?
Really?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Will an AI Galactic Custodian actually be effective at fighting a Crisis? Generally, the AI do have a tendency to not be able to organise any effective response against any of the Criseses at the moment, has this been addressed at all with new AI behaviours?

Additionally... if an AI chooses to "Become the Crisis", will they actually be a threat? Will they have any unique behaviours over and above the current AI for, say, Fanatic Purifiers?
Indeed it is a really nice idea keep up the good work!
but like all things in stellaris if the A.I, cant handle it its no fun.
so can we get a dev diary on how the A.I is being improved to implement the new features?? (and old ones :()

• 1Like
Reactions:
Need the ability to shape what kind of civs are allowed into the community, maybe we're all free thinking organics and we dont trust that freaky hivemind in the corner always talking to itself and accidently refering to us as biomass, or the driven assimilator that raises resolutions on one hand but prepares to force us all to be cyborgs on the other. In some Galaxies the ....eclectic nature of the community can feel odd narritvely.

Aswell, do hope the galatic defence force has some events tied to them during their 'independent tag' period between custodians. Can we have the soldiers go rogue or seize power for themselves Mamaluk stylio.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
still think they should just make some story packs that add more events for leaders, envoys, spies, fleets, etc as a money making holding action while they tweak the AI and bugfix after this....

I always like the events for people in CK... made me feel like they were people.
The sheer scale of Stellaris makes character-focus a bit harder to do well though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We definately need a galactic community map mode to see those who are part of the community, the custodian/council members as well as those who are not part of the community and those who can never be part of the community (FP, DS, DE, Crisies...)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not a fan of the ability to prematurely end a session. Feels like, especially in multiplayer, people are very slow to notice that a vote is going on and this would just be abused completely.

That's part of the risk for allowing someone to be a custodian I guess. Being able to end the session early and push through votes is probably a necessity. The AI doesn't tend to prioritise galactic focus votes atm, it would be frustrating to be the custodian only for no useful custodian policies to pass in your term. It looks like it's a 30 year term, which normally would get 5 votes through. That's not a lot to push through changes you need as custodian.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I did notice that, but honestly I'm not holding my breath on it amounting to a ton more than the rest of the GC being Very Displeased with you and maybe having a few maluses applied, lower influence or something like that. I would love for there to be an actual serious consequence, some real diplomatic stuff, and I will very gladly be surprised and proven wrong, but if you're strong enough to maintain Custodianship then I'd imagine you're probably strong enough to either easily deal with or just completely ignore whatever gets thrown at you, the game has always had a problem with meaningfully impacting a player that's snowballed their way to success.
I do think that will be the case, but it strongly depends on how it's implemented. Slowly accumulating maluses that still reach critical points can be bad.
For example: Losing all diplomatic agreements over time.

If that comes with a new CB "Remove Custodian from Council" (once a certain threshold of general disapproval is reached) that multiple members of the GC could join, you could have an issue at your hand if you don't keep the senate - or at least it's powerful members - in your favor. (Akin to Independence/Claimant factions in CK3)

Reactions:
Sometimes I wonder if there are any good guys in stellaris x'D
Well, there are a lot of folk that think they are the good guys :p

I doubt you'd find a driven exterminator, a rogue servitor or democratic crusaders that isn't convinced they are doing the universe a favor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not a fan of the ability to prematurely end a session. Feels like, especially in multiplayer, people are very slow to notice that a vote is going on and this would just be abused completely.
I think they said you can end it prematurely after half the session time. That is still a long time.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Seems like an interesting feature to spice up the game. I have two worries now:
- Will the AI be able to handle being a Custodian?
- I find federation fleet management and ship designing already very confusing, adding yet another thing there would make things really difficult. Plus, updating/changing your ship design three times (own fleet, federation fleet, custodian fleet) will get tiresome.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So... what's the downside of being a Custodian? I've only seen benefits.
So it'd be the modus operandi for every playthrough to become the Custodian (if you don't want to become the Crisis, which also does not have downsides except the galaxy hating you? (At least some form of "penalty"/downside.)).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great idea, anyway

P.S. TO all dislikers - What are you respectfully disagree with?
Adding more "win moar" buttons to a game that lacks any challenge in achieving a victory position that allows you to press those buttons to begin with.
If you're the single largest military power in the game by 2350, you don't need to become a crisis, nor custodian, nor wait for the already obsolete crisis with it's terribad AI, or a pointless War in the Heavens, or megastructures, or fancy big ships that let you destroy planets you have no trouble seizing instantly, or flying shipyards that can replace ships your superior fleet never loses.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Adding more "win moar" buttons to a game that lacks any challenge in achieving a victory position that allows you to press those buttons to begin with.
If you're the single largest military power in the game by 2350, you don't need to become a crisis, nor custodian, nor wait for the already obsolete crisis with it's terribad AI, or a pointless War in the Heavens, or megastructures, or fancy big ships that let you destroy planets you have no trouble seizing instantly, or flying shipyards that can replace ships your superior fleet never loses.
Honestly yea this. This is just more fluff onto a problem of this game, being powerful takes very little effort and it's so easy to just conquer the galaxy. Sure it's time consuming but once you can build your own powerful fleet (which let's be real, you can do mid-game with relative ease)

This is what lead me to always build tall nowadays because my resources are limited but near the end of the game my country still ends up as a megastructure fueled mega-empire on the level of the olds. Honestly, even being able to become an old would've been a better feature then everything in the nemesis we've heard so far.

Custodian and Crisis are just more fluff on stuff that's already doable in the game. Crisis entirely on it's own is an annoying feature that the devs think is new and interesting but in reality has been a civic in almost every species and expansion, the only difference is you get a perk and a perk screen.

• 2Like
Reactions: