Focus Your Power in New EU4 Expansion - Leviathan Gives More Development Options

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Johan
Just want to say, as someone who has been mostly disappointed with EU4's development over past few patches this is the most excited I've been for a singular update since like 1.19
Really happy to see you finally take proper care of this side of the game,and overall really happy to see you fully back as the project lead <3

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will it include support for 1440 monitors? If not, then throw it in the trash. This game is dead without high resolution support.

Cant be bothered using a magnifying lense to navigate UI.

Take some learnings from Crusader kings 3. A beautiful UI on large screen.
Have you tried the GUI Scale feature in video settings? Setting it to 1.5x should upscale it to a more comfortable size on your 1440p monitor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Africa....especially West Africa could use a big tweak by which the melanin-deprived can only establish trading forts, which would give them a presence in, but not control over, a given province.
I believe it was the malaria, rather than the ultra violet light, that really made European occupation impossible. A sun hat is pretty low-tech. And Europeans sailed through tropical latitudes with just a bit of sunburn.
But sub-saharan Africans could survive some variants of malaria, while the 'melanin-deprived' generally didn't - with the exception of some lucky Italians.
The European 'scramble for Africa' of the 19th century coincided with discovery of quinine.
(edited)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
For the expansion:

Are there also events for the construction of the monuments? Or for the monuments themselfs? Or for specific monuments? (espc. if I conquer one?) - that would be so nice, as it opens so many possibilities

For the free patch:
it would be cool if you would revisit the mercenary numbers. It feels crazy to have at some point just 60k or bigger merc stacks to recruit (besides that its totaly unrealistic) it would be great to lower that number, and have in the later times at least some smaller merc stacks to deal with smaller things, and not pay 4k for a one time use merc stack, that is needed to dispand afterwards.

And while you add again dozents of new provinces and tags (where I don't allways see the use in - like imperator colors...) it would be very nice QoL to get the "annex all" button back in our lifes...

• 3Like
Reactions:
You are constantly adding new regions. there should be improvements related to management capacity. currently the game is problematic in terms of expansion. trading companies should not affect overall autonomy. There are many problematic points that need to be resolved before this expansion package. Low resolution players are tortured while playing the game

• 2Like
Reactions:
'There is no document of civilization which is not at the same time a document of barbarism.'
Walter Benjamin

I think paradox have trouble on this topic.

For instance, the Atlantic slave trade is very underwhelming in EU4 even though it was verfy profitable at the time - and thus caused enormous misery for unfortunates sold to European slavers. Another problem is anti-Semitism and presence of Jews in Europe. It's like the holocaust came early, and the survivors high-tailed it to the Americas - or Mars.

Concerning 'barbarism', I think it's okay if the player is allowed to be 'evil' so long as they are told that 'you know this is pretty awful, right?' Then they can say 'yes, and damn it I'm doing it anyway', or 'no, and I'll pay a steep price to stop it.'

I don't know the specifics of sugar plantations in Brazil, but if they were like the plantations of other countries... they were pretty arresting places. Pun intended (with a bit of British understatement).
That's no reason not to depict them.
Brazil is thought to have had the largest number of slaves imported to it, compared to US, Spanish main, or carribean Islands, although conditions likely not as bad as Haiti. Brazil also means SA gets a focus, whereas NA was more the focus this patch.
You do get some Jewish advisor events, but it would be nice for Jews to have a more visible role in the Ottoman empire, especially post expulsion, events with letting them back in as Cromwell did, and their situation in the Netherlands would also be nice

• 2Like
Reactions:
You are constantly adding new regions. there should be improvements related to management capacity. currently the game is problematic in terms of expansion. trading companies should not affect overall autonomy. There are many problematic points that need to be resolved before this expansion package. Low resolution players are tortured while playing the game
Why shouldn't trade companies effect overall autonomy, it helps show how your empire is run

• 1Like
Reactions:
dd_vietnam.png

Sir, Can we please change the position of KoHo and Rhade tribes? Rhade is in the middle province and Koho in the Southern one irl.(https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-august-2020.1411104/)
dd_disaster.png

Moreover, please fix the dynasty of those 2 kingdoms. Trinh dynasty ruled Tonkin, and Nguyen ruled Annam historically. Yous did it oppositely in Vietnam DD(https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-august-2020.1411104/).
Btw, if you can, please fix the Vietnamese culture group. I think the "Jurchen - Manchu" mechanic will be better than grouping Vietnamese and Chinese culture together, it's a little bit racist to me. Thanks in advance!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan will be accompanied by a major free update that reworks the Southeast Asian and Australasian maps, with new nations, new cultures and new religions. This fascinating region of powerful monarchs and rich merchants takes on new color and offers new ways to play.
Ooh, new religions? Like multiple new religions? Did they ever announce what those were?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually, that's one thing I found interesting is it common for them to use start dates from later time periods than 1444? If not we may be seeing a revamp of start dates as well?

The screenshots for Leviathan are very odd. One of them has two green alerts without any art (suggesting that they were WIP), show features that doesn't seem to have been announced yet and you can see the sidebar (which is usually hidden). What that means to me is that they got someone new to take those screenshots, hence why they are so different than the ones we are used seeing.

It would also be very strange for them to update bookmarks after all of the talk that bookmarks are more trouble than they are worth and how I:R and CK III have pretty much abandoned them. It just wouldn't make sense for the EU 4 team spend time updating bookmarks, be that for the DLC or free patch, announce the DLC and still not tell us about that.

Reactions:
Why is there a Chinese man in the next update? Another MoH update?
View attachment 679959
SEAsian probably

Actually, that's one thing I found interesting is it common for them to use start dates from later time periods than 1444? If not we may be seeing a revamp of start dates as well?
Doubt it, I think theyre just doing it to make them more unique than your every 1444 game
The screenshots for Leviathan are very odd. One of them has two green alerts without any art (suggesting that they were WIP), show features that doesn't seem to have been announced yet and you can see the sidebar (which is usually hidden). What that means to me is that they got someone new to take those screenshots, hence why they are so different than the ones we are used seeing.

It would also be very strange for them to update bookmarks after all of the talk that bookmarks are more trouble than they are worth and how I:R and CK III have pretty much abandoned them. It just wouldn't make sense for the EU 4 team spend time updating bookmarks, be that for the DLC or free patch, announce the DLC and still not tell us about that.
He even left his username in the screenshot, for shame

• 2Haha
Reactions: