Focus Your Power in New EU4 Expansion - Leviathan Gives More Development Options

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hobbes better be the loading image for the expansion
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised the Beast of Malmsbury does not appear on the trailer!

• 3Like
Reactions:
So, the ''side projects'' showcased in the dev diares before are actually front and center in the expansion trailer, as in, both the North America and Oceania content. So that was a bit misleading, was it not? i'm confused here.
The entire CK2 patch "Iron Century" was a side project and still got art front and center.

Reactions:
Imo, South America + Africa are enough for +1 full dlc, others neglected regions like Escandinavia+Siberia could be content packs.
Yeah, South America is still incredibly barren. 4 wandering tribes isn't that suitable but it's literally all it has outside of the Andes and the Muisca. I could easily see Africa getting another look over as well. Scandinavia's last big facelift was in the Denmark patch, but they don't even have missions. More Baltic State content could also be justified imo.

Reactions:
I'm confuse, we are 20 dev diaries in and we still don't know anything about the core mechanics of this DLC.
Its sad, but this sound like a simple money grab.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Slave plantations of Brazil could be a great focus of the dlc
'There is no document of civilization which is not at the same time a document of barbarism.'
Walter Benjamin

I think paradox have trouble on this topic.

For instance, the Atlantic slave trade is very underwhelming in EU4 even though it was verfy profitable at the time - and thus caused enormous misery for unfortunates sold to European slavers. Another problem is anti-Semitism and presence of Jews in Europe. It's like the holocaust came early, and the survivors high-tailed it to the Americas - or Mars.

Concerning 'barbarism', I think it's okay if the player is allowed to be 'evil' so long as they are told that 'you know this is pretty awful, right?' Then they can say 'yes, and damn it I'm doing it anyway', or 'no, and I'll pay a steep price to stop it.'

I don't know the specifics of sugar plantations in Brazil, but if they were like the plantations of other countries... they were pretty arresting places. Pun intended (with a bit of British understatement).
That's no reason not to depict them.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Africa....especially West Africa could use a big tweak by which the melanin-deprived can only establish trading forts, which would give them a presence in, but not control over, a given province.
Splitting colonies into settler colonies and trade posts is the only feature I really miss from EU2.

• 3Like
Reactions:
For instance, the Atlantic slave trade is very underwhelming in EU4 even though it was verfy profitable at the time - and thus caused enormous misery for unfortunates sold to European slavers. Another problem is anti-Semitism and presence of Jews in Europe. It's like the holocaust came early, and the survivors high-tailed it to the Americas - or Mars.

Concerning 'barbarism', I think it's okay if the player is allowed to be 'evil' so long as they are told that 'you know this is pretty awful, right?' Then they can say 'yes, and damn it I'm doing it anyway', or 'no, and I'll pay a steep price to stop it.'

I don't know the specifics of sugar plantations in Brazil, but if they were like the plantations of other countries... they were pretty arresting places. Pun intended (with a bit of British understatement).
That's no reason not to depict them.
I genuinely agree with this as long as they don't go overboard the other way and misrepresent why the events happened. If they include the Atlantic Slave Trade they would have to add the Indian Slave trade as well. If they do something to point out the anti-semitism, there must be a reason for a country taking anti-semetic action like in CK2 and face the consequences of said action. They would also have to represent the persecution of the Roma people in the Balkans along with other groups and it would lead to bad PR due to a double standard. EU4 isn't a great sim for this due to a lack of pops and it's mechanics regarding development being shallower than a puddle, but I would like to see this in the game regardless to contextualize my actions and add in a little bit of RP. I could be an enlightened king and go against the will of the common people protecting the Jews in my country for an additional advisor or I could be "evil"(in the modern sense), take their property and kick them out. Also please don't space out your text like with the double break. Formattingwise it's quite rude.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Looking forward to whatever the 'centralise the HRE by 1500' bug of this expansion is. I really didn't take my chance to do a WC during that era :D
I had a shot at a WC back during 1.16 (I think?) not too long after Cossacks came out where I played the Great Horde and reformed them into the Golden Horde. It was 1822 and I only had 2 nations left on map with maybe a war each to finish up. I was super shocked when I saw the date and asked about it online. Found out there was a glitch that I triggered when I hit escape around 1821 and it sailed right past the end date.

I thought about taking my WC achieve, but I like to keep my finished games and I felt like it wasn't really getting the achievement. So I shelved the save with all my other finished saves and still haven't got a WC yet. I've come really close, but I always play too conservatively. No regrets, I will get it eventually. I just want it to be legit.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm confuse, we are 20 dev diaries in and we still don't know anything about the core mechanics of this DLC.
Its sad, but this sound like a simple money grab.

I think we'll have to wait and see... Definitely hoping they are planning on finishing the dev diaries strong. Johan seems to imply they've only scratched the surface on expansion features in the prior dev diaries.

I think we'll have to wait and see... Definitely hoping they are planning on finishing the dev diaries strong. Johan seems to imply they've only scratched the surface on expansion features in the prior dev diaries.

Maybe I am misremembering but with all the previous dlcs they have always shown most important features before announcements.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Maybe I am misremembering but with all the previous dlcs they have always shown most important features before announcements.
This one was also dealing with the new studio. Things are a bit different. We saw very early work on some things like the North America rework. Earlier than we usually ever see as well.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, South America is still incredibly barren. 4 wandering tribes isn't that suitable but it's literally all it has outside of the Andes and the Muisca. I could easily see Africa getting another look over as well. Scandinavia's last big facelift was in the Denmark patch, but they don't even have missions. More Baltic State content could also be justified imo.
You are right about south america and west africa. Also I think the current treaty of tordesillas is a terrible mechanic. They need a specific one where Spain tells portugal to aside from brazil stay out of the americas or else.

Scandinavia and the baltic i have very few very specific demands for.
For the Baltic, the destruction of the Teutonic order should create Prussian cores.
For Scandinavia, if norway still exists the mission before the protect norway one should give a restoration of union cb not permaclaims.
Aslo Sweden should get some way of getting Riga to join them peacefully.

Reactions: