Focus Your Power in New EU4 Expansion - Leviathan Gives More Development Options

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
can it be explained in detail what the new options for playing tall are?

What? Did you forget the new option of paying 200GC for +1 building slot and +1 manufactory slot?

This is the only "tall" feature that I can remember from the DDs. This and a meme tier government reform that obliterates your GC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What? Did you forget the new option of paying 200GC for +1 building slot and +1 manufactory slot?

This is the only "tall" feature that I can remember from the DDs. This and a meme tier government reform that obliterates your GC.
oh, that was all? well, i expected too much then.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well I remember saying after Emperor they didn't have much left they could do and so I predicted EU5. But I was wrong...though maybe not as wrong as I thought I was.

See, the reason I thought Emperor was the end was that there was no region left that could be the overwhelming focus of an expansion like East Asia or India or the Middle East. There were neglected regions such as SE Asia but I thought they weren't big enough for an expansion by themselves. Maybe a content pack like Golden Century but not a major expansion.

Where I was wrong was I didn't imagine they'd cover all that was left in a single release and what is shaping up to be the biggest release in EU4's history. But the thing is they've pretty much used up everywhere on the map now. I think all they could do from here on out is tinker with what's already there and what is left really would be best served by a content pack.
Africa....especially West Africa could use a big tweak by which the melanin-deprived can only establish trading forts, which would give them a presence in, but not control over, a given province.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will this lead to over-developed OPMs that stick out like sore thumbs on the Steppes (or wherever) and can there be a quick exploitation mechanic that returns them closer to a level they would have had as simply just-another-province?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would say that this is closer to Emperor than Dharma when it comes to features.

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Will this lead to over-developed OPMs that stick out like sore thumbs on the Steppes (or wherever) and can there be a quick exploitation mechanic that returns them closer to a level they would have had as simply just-another-province?

you'll see :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
thats a nice catch, if the heir is abusable paradox prob just going to fixit later. I am more interested on just how much manpower can you get from an ally? is it a set amount? a %? I started thinking of suddenly of using the russians as a potential second manpower pool.
probably something like 10% of their MP pool. and probably needs to wait a bit before using again as to not steal all their MP if you have 50 favors or something like that

Have you run out of historic references for DLC names? This sounds more like it belongs to Stellaris.
It's one of the most important publications from the Enlightenment, and really all of human history....

Well I remember saying after Emperor they didn't have much left they could do and so I predicted EU5. But I was wrong...though maybe not as wrong as I thought I was.

See, the reason I thought Emperor was the end was that there was no region left that could be the overwhelming focus of an expansion like East Asia or India or the Middle East. There were neglected regions such as SE Asia but I thought they weren't big enough for an expansion by themselves. Maybe a content pack like Golden Century but not a major expansion.

Where I was wrong was I didn't imagine they'd cover all that was left in a single release and what is shaping up to be the biggest release in EU4's history. But the thing is they've pretty much used up everywhere on the map now. I think all they could do from here on out is tinker with what's already there and what is left really would be best served by a content pack.
West Africa, East Africa, Central Africa, South America....

• 10Like
Reactions:
This is all well and good but how does any of the new mechanics shown so far benefit "tall" play over "wide" play, currently due to how dev cost increases past 20 dev the optimum strategy is just to blob as much as possible but dev ever province to at least 20. Monuments are a good reason to play wide to get all the bonuses from them, setting up an optimum trade network demands that you play wide, goods like coal and the soon to be added cloves are great reasons to blob and unless paradox changes something significant playing wide will always be the optimum way to play.

However what I think paradox really misses is the fact that even if playing tall was the best way to play nobody would still do it because it's extremely boring, eu4 is a war game, there isn't anything to do at peacetime except prepare for the next war. So yeah trying to encourage playing tall is a complete waste of time imo.
Every time you add QoL, you favor wide play as the big advantage for tall was, especially in an MP context, less to oversee with a clock ticking away.

Reactions:
I would say that this is closer to Emperor than Dharma when it comes to features.

If this is indeed the case, I will be looking forward to more fleshed out mechanics in the following dev diaries

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be good now to update Latin America with Africa and the Swedish immersion pack (update of Scandinavia and the rest of the Baltic states - especially Prussia).

It's such a pity there are so few immersion packages - that's really cool.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
As a lover of SE Asia's history I'm happy that the area finally got some love. I liked what I saw about it in the Dev Diaries, so I'm happy about this expansion. I don't see how you are forced to play "tall" in this area, however. Anyway, my wallet is ready.
You know what's not playing tall with this game? My wallet.

Last edited:
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
From the screenshots it seems "expand infrastructure" got changed a bit. It no longer eats 200 governing capacity, but instead eats 50 and adds a +100% governing capacity modifier to the province. So it costs at least 100 governing capacity if you use it in a dirt province. Even more if you use it in an actually developed province. So it gets worse the more developed your provinces become.
Well, if you do it in your capital state...
It seems far more reasonable than before for sure, stacking with Town Halls and if you can have a province with glass, paper or gems in the area, it makes for negligible GC cost from dev, then the 50 cost it adds doesn't sound so bad.

• 2Like
Reactions:
With a lot of mission for Southeast Asia, Australasia, and North America, I wish Central and South America plus Africa will be next. There are also Middle East, some big nations in India (like Jaunpur, and potentially Sikh Empire), plus Scandinavia and rework to expand missions for Eastern Europe. So 2-3 more DLCs.

But let's leave those for the futures, and focus on FINALLY INDONESIA UPDATE! WOO!
I was expecting Wednesday-Friday announcement, but I welcome a Tuesday announcement. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one...
Can't wait to finally learn what are the rest of features for Southeast Asia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
From the store page you can apparently trade favours from allies for soldiers (manpower) and money and even request that the ally sends an heir of its dynasty?
eu4_levi_Screen1.jpg

The last one sounds super abuseable if thats how it works.
Is this a current bookmark? Looks real good

Africa....especially West Africa could use a big tweak by which the melanin-deprived can only establish trading forts, which would give them a presence in, but not control over, a given province.
or they could add provinces near the shore of africa for the Europeans to fight over instead of how you have to colonise the continent currently

• 1Like
Reactions:

Still no uniq missions for Teutonic order and chagatay!! 11