Focus Your Power in New EU4 Expansion - Leviathan Gives More Development Options

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Picture a capital city that shines like a gemstone, improved by the wealth drawn from the hinterland - decorated by riches demanded from vassals. A capital not of a mighty territorial empire, but of a compact and concentrated state that can still use gold and favors to influence neighbors and rivals. Picture it and then make it so in Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan.

Leviathan is the newest expansion to Paradox’s flagship grand strategy game about the early modern world. Leviathan offers new tools that allow you to play “tall” with smaller and more focused realms with a few centers of power. It also has a host of other changes to well-established game features like Regencies and Colonies.

Among other things, Leviathan gives you new ways to quickly develop your capital, drawing resources and power from vassals or newly conquered territories, and allows you to build beyond your province’s construction limit if you are willing to pay the price.

Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan will be accompanied by a major free update that reworks the Southeast Asian and Australasian maps, with new nations, new cultures and new religions. This fascinating region of powerful monarchs and rich merchants takes on new color and offers new ways to play.

Release Date and Price will be communicated later

Wishlist on Steam today

Last edited:
  • 67Like
  • 27Love
Reactions:
Picture a capital city that shines like a gemstone, improved by the wealth drawn from the hinterland - decorated by riches demanded from vassals. A capital not of a mighty territorial empire, but of a compact and concentrated state that can still use gold and favors to influence neighbors and rivals. Picture it and then make it so in Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan.

Leviathan is the newest expansion to Paradox’s flagship grand strategy game about the early modern world. Leviathan offers new tools that allow you to play “tall” with smaller and more focused realms with a few centers of power. It also has a host of other changes to well-established game features like Regencies and Colonies.

Among other things, Leviathan gives you new ways to quickly develop your capital, drawing resources and power from vassals or newly conquered territories, and allows you to build beyond your province’s construction limit if you are willing to pay the price.

Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan will be accompanied by a major free update that reworks the Southeast Asian and Australasian maps, with new nations, new cultures and new religions. This fascinating region of powerful monarchs and rich merchants takes on new color and offers new ways to play.

Release Date and Price will be communicated later
Hobbes better be the loading image for the expansion

• 18Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Request relative as heir?

Last edited:
Reactions:
So, the ''side projects'' showcased in the dev diares before are actually front and center in the expansion trailer, as in, both the North America and Oceania content. So that was a bit misleading, was it not? i'm confused here.

• 25Like
Reactions:
This is all well and good but how does any of the new mechanics shown so far benefit "tall" play over "wide" play, currently due to how dev cost increases past 20 dev the optimum strategy is just to blob as much as possible but dev ever province to at least 20. Monuments are a good reason to play wide to get all the bonuses from them, setting up an optimum trade network demands that you play wide, goods like coal and the soon to be added cloves are great reasons to blob and unless paradox changes something significant playing wide will always be the optimum way to play.

However what I think paradox really misses is the fact that even if playing tall was the best way to play nobody would still do it because it's extremely boring, eu4 is a war game, there isn't anything to do at peacetime except prepare for the next war. So yeah trying to encourage playing tall is a complete waste of time imo.

• 20Like
Reactions:
tall play in eu 4 can never be viably without a basic pop system imho. but maybe we get that in eu 5. Also the monarch points are outdated. The hole concept of magic mana points translating into developement and money isnt fitting anymore.

• 29Like
Reactions:
tall play in eu 4 can never be viably without a basic pop system imho. but maybe we get that in eu 5. Also the monarch points are outdated. The hole concept of magic mana points translating into developement and money isnt fitting anymore.
I kinda feel they are setting up for EU5 especially with the recent monuments dev diary like the end of CK2.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I kinda feel they are setting up for EU5 especially with the recent monuments dev diary like the end of CK2.
Well I remember saying after Emperor they didn't have much left they could do and so I predicted EU5. But I was wrong...though maybe not as wrong as I thought I was.

See, the reason I thought Emperor was the end was that there was no region left that could be the overwhelming focus of an expansion like East Asia or India or the Middle East. There were neglected regions such as SE Asia but I thought they weren't big enough for an expansion by themselves. Maybe a content pack like Golden Century but not a major expansion.

Where I was wrong was I didn't imagine they'd cover all that was left in a single release and what is shaping up to be the biggest release in EU4's history. But the thing is they've pretty much used up everywhere on the map now. I think all they could do from here on out is tinker with what's already there and what is left really would be best served by a content pack.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 21Like
Reactions:
Leviathan, as in "we worked so long on this and it's so big and unwieldy that we kinda forgot about giving it a theme and didn't quite know how to write the marketing for this"? :)

(sorry, the dev diaries were awesome!)

• 24Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions: