• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 Development Diary - 2nd of February 2021

Welcome everyone to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This time it's yet another short one, written by me, talking about some new mechanics.

First of all, we are changing the Plutocratic Government Reform. For those that do not recall what it is, it's a reform available to countries in either of the indian, muslim, chinese or east-african technology groups. Previously it gave a merchant and affected the influence of some estates.

In 1.31 it will become far more powerful, as it will also get all the benefits and drawbacks of a merchant republic, including trade posts & trade leagues. This will make it possible to create a powerfully focused trading nation in the east.
eu4_19.png

Secondly, as you may have noticed in the previous screenshot, this reform also unlocks something called “draft transports”. This is an ability that comes with the next expansion, and allows you to quickly get transports at a cost that may be beneficial to you if you are a smaller nation.

Drafted Transports will begin construction in as many ports as needed, just like building a template, and the amount of transports you get depends on your naval force limits.

Drafted Transports take half the time of a normal transport to build.

Drafted Transports cost a fraction of your income instead of a fixed amount, so it is not really beneficial to large empires, but it is a great way to quickly and cheaply get a new transport fleet when playing a lesser naval power that can not afford keeping it around all the time.

eu4_20.png

Next week, we’ll be back, talking about a new feature that may either be unprecedented or something really really lasting.

• 141Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Johan said in his last DD already that he would do this if it would be possible, but it isn't.
Well, considering that us modders can do it, not sure what he means by that he couldn't do it unless he has a different idea of how to do it.

The primary problem i forsee is the crownland thing, which wouldn't really make sense for a republic, but other than that.

Reactions:
Can we get a chance to mercantilism so that it's actually a useful stat? It's really not worth investing in at all + prevents the only people that care about it (Merchant republics) from having any colonies. (I care less about this second point than the first). I feel like mercantilism should be much stronger, but in return should mean that more negative relations modifiers for trade you are stealing away from the dominant nation in the node?
Mercantilism is strong as it is because you can raise it through other means. Whether mercantilism should even be a net positive to begin with is also debatable.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Johan said in his last DD already that he would do this if it would be possible, but it isn't.
For Merchant republics, they would only really need one estate. Aristocrats could use Nobles with changed name and one or two changed interactions and Traders could be renamed Burghers estate with some tweaks. That would only leave Guilds as a new estate that would need to be added.

Obviously, all of merchant republic events would need changes to reflect this, so it would be quite a bit of tedious rebalancing :(

Sadly, Revolutionary Republics and Pirate Republics have factions that translate to estates much less efficiently.

For China, I would make it so that the EoC would have estates and factions (both with and without MoH) but the factions would be rebalanced to be of lesser importance (basically they would be an additional gimmick to play around with if the player gets bored, rather than a core feature.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Wait so the eastern "Merchant republics" get merchant republics without the terrible merchant republic faction mechanics? Can't regular merchant republic get that too?Back when estates were added you said it didn't make sense for merchant republics to get rolled into estates because their factions controlling provinces makes no sense, but now that estates are no longer tied to provinces can we please merge the merchant republic mechanics with the estates mechanic?

Of course it is, you just get rid off the old merchant republic government (from the state of the game not from the files) and create a new one which makes the factions three new estates.

Actually create two new ones, one for Venice and Genoa and the Italian trading cities and a separate one for the north European ones. These merchant republics were very different and it is about time they get treated as such.

Why then can't we get rid of the factions for merchant republics altogether and just replace them with regular estates?
I can see the factions remain but become estates. The aristocrats already pretty much are the noble estate they change name but are otherwise the same as the nobles.
The merchant guilds are not available to the merchant republics instead they get two, the traders and the guilds (which is really how the Indians work with the jain being fairly similar to the guilds being all about production and building rather than trade power).
And they get clergy as usual.
They get an option to draw their new ruler from either estate with a boost to their influence.

Well, considering that us modders can do it, not sure what he means by that he couldn't do it unless he has a different idea of how to do it.

The primary problem i forsee is the crownland thing, which wouldn't really make sense for a republic, but other than that.
Why would crownland be an issue for merchant republics but not for every other republic? Its simply land owned directly be the state.

Last edited:
  • 13Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
this might be the worst dev diary in years , one gov reform that is useless (yup merchant republics are dreadful to play as , the system is outdated , no estates , you know a government is bad when absolutely no one plays it in mp) and huuuuuuh ship draft? i guess it was introduced because the dev realized making ships as an opm takes years ?

welp maybe its time to make eu5 after all if there are no more new content ideas but hopefully im proven wrong on the next ones coming :))

• 6Like
Reactions:
Will there be any changes to trade cities?
Given the changes to trade companies, the lack of province limitation of merchant republics, and their involvement in foreign wars they seldom used.

One way to change them would be to make them a kind of "free port/treaty port": a non-annexable vassal of a larger state (not the the plutocracy/merchant republic) that is able to join a trade league. A revocation of that status by the overlord would allow a cb.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Of course it is, you just get rid off the old merchant republic government and create a new one which makes the factions three new estates.
I think the message is meant to be: "it is impossible because of the amount of work (rebalancing all the merchant republic events, decisions etc. as well as scripting new estates for just a handful of nations)", not "it is impossible because we don't know how to do it".

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any chance to be able to absorb an annexed country's fleet and treasury? It would help a country fighting multiple opponents and add another layer of strategy for prolonged multilateral wars.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Also while we're discussing changing merchant republics make the merchant leagues the same king of vassals as tributaries so we can see our trade league in the vassals screen and that automating improve relations with subjects will get the diplomats to improve relations with trade league members.

I think the message is meant to be: "it is impossible because of the amount of work (rebalancing all the merchant republic events, decisions etc. as well as scripting new estates for just a handful of nations)", not "it is impossible because we don't know how to do it".
I could do it in a weekend!
The one person on the ck2 team who made sunset invasion on their free time put in loads more time than this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooh, neat! This is a welcome change, and one I'll look forward to playing around with. Someone else in this thread mentioned that they'd like a buff to mercantilism, and I'll second that. Promoting it is absurdly overcosted for the bonuses it provides. It'd be cool if a little tweak there was included with this change.

Also, sorry for my Cato-like approach to this, but I really hope that the Pacific Northwest will get an update, too, beyond the mission trees and new ideas we've seen so far. Many parts of it were extremely densely populated by tribes with well-documented oral histories and archaeological records stretching back many millennia. Some new tags would be wonderful, but at the very least, it'd be great to see new provinces (ideally some with estuaries and natural harbors, of which the PNW has many of notable size and importance) and impassable terrain to represent the Cascade and Coast ranges (the former of which dwarfs the Appalachians) and give the area some strategic depth.

I wouldn't harp on about this as much as I have, but I worry that if the Northwest isn't updated now, it never will be, as this seems likely to be the last North American update EU4 will see. It'd be a shame to see such a vibrant and fascinating region neglected in the game's final state. Anyway, thanks for all the good work <3

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Reactions:
Mercantilism is strong as it is because you can raise it through other means. Whether mercantilism should even be a net positive to begin with is also debatable.
You get events for it being high or low, burghers asking you to raise or lower it, it gives more secure income but raises liberty desire of colonies

Because you can't completely scrap dlc features

Reactions:
You get events for it being high or low, burghers asking you to raise or lower it, it gives more secure income but raises liberty desire of colonies

Because you can't completely scrap dlc features
Would it be considered scrapping a dlc feature to update it with a system which is simply superior?

Im not suggesting to just replace it with monarchy estates, but something similar to dharma estates, completely overhauling the estates would probably not be scrapping a dlc feature and instead be a proper update to a system which is simply outdated.

And it's not like something similar didn't happen with the minority colonization.

But i get what you are saying and I hope johan knows that most players probably would prefer the new estate mechanics.

• 2Like
Reactions: