Confirmed Stellaris - [v.2.8.0 (a765)] Automatically joined offensive war

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BeniLord

Recruit
1 Badges
Jun 5, 2017
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
Description
[v.2.8.0 (a765)] Automatically joined offensive war

Game Version

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans Story Pack, Apocalypse, Megacorp, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I automatically join an offensive war with someone I have only a trade, science and non-aggression pact. I do not get a choice and am only notified after the war starts.

Steps to reproduce the issue.
Wait one month ingame with attached save.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• ironman.sav
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
Hi BeniLord,

Thanks for submitting the bug report! I'm having a look at it now.

You, as the player, are for some reason stored as being an extra attacker in the upcoming war of the Mesh'Ben. This already from the time of the save. To get more details on this matter, do you know whether you at any point previous to this were
  • invited to join war by
  • in a federation with
  • a subject of
the Mesh'Ben?

Knowing this would be of great help.

Last edited:
Hi BeniLord,

Thanks for submitting the bug report! I'm having a look at it now.

You, as the player, are for some reason stored as being an extra attacker in the upcoming war of the Mesh'Ben. This already from the time of the save. To get more details on this matter, do you know whether you at any point previous to this were
  • invited to join war by
  • in a federation with
  • a subject of
the Mesh'Ben?

Knowing this would be of great help.
This just happened to me, latest version as of January 2021.
I had no treaties with the AI empire that pulled me into the war. I was improving relations with one envoy while he was harming relations with one envoy; no other interaction. The alert to accept or deny the invitation to join the war never existed or showed to me. He declared war against a federation of 3 AI empires that all surround me and basically ended my playthrough as I couldn't possibly defend on all the fronts. I also had rather good relations with 2 of the 3 empires before the war.

No subjugation involved, no invitation received, and I haven't been part of any federation. This bug is too impactful to not prioritize; so many hours wasted.

I submitted a bug report on the same issue a few days ago:

In my game, I was not in a federation, defense pact, or subject relationship with the AI player. I also was not presented with a request to support them in their war. I did notice that we were both associates of the same federation though.

Matt

I figured out what is happening. The War Declaration notification DOES appear. According to the tooltip, if you do nothing the war will be automatically declined:

20210129183846_1.jpg

However, it automatically accepts it instead:

20210129183853_1.jpg

I was able to replicate this a couple times using the attached saved game.

Attachments

• 2364.07.09.sav
    2,4 MB · Views: 0
I figured out what is happening. The War Declaration notification DOES appear. According to the tooltip, if you do nothing the war will be automatically declined:

View attachment 675965

However, it automatically accepts it instead:

View attachment 675966

I was able to replicate this a couple times using the attached saved game.
Thank you so much for the report and the save! I'm doing my best to get to the bottom of this right now, but while digging through the code, I certainly get why this hasn't been fixed yet. It's quite the space jungle to machete through!

If you have any auto saves leading up to this one I'd greatly appreciate you uploading them as well. All of the saves I've looked at previously have been too late in the process to catch the bug in action. (I haven't had any time to look at the one you've posted here though, but It looks promising that you have the actual alert on screen. None of the previous saves have had it and we've been unsure whether it actually appears or not.) I'll also make sure to look through your original thread!

So once again. If you happen to have any saves that lead up to this moment, please upload them.

Thank you so much for the report and the save! I'm doing my best to get to the bottom of this right now, but while digging through the code, I certainly get why this hasn't been fixed yet. It's quite the space jungle to machete through!

If you have any auto saves leading up to this one I'd greatly appreciate you uploading them as well. All of the saves I've looked at previously have been too late in the process to catch the bug in action. (I haven't had any time to look at the one you've posted here though, but It looks promising that you have the actual alert on screen. None of the previous saves have had it and we've been unsure whether it actually appears or not.) I'll also make sure to look through your original thread!

So once again. If you happen to have any saves that lead up to this moment, please upload them.

You're welcome! Here are a couple more saves, although I think the first one I attached is still the best to use. It is before the Ketlings make their proposal for an offensive war. They should ask within a few months, then the 180 day timer kicks in.

Matt

Attachments

• 2364.04.01.sav
  • 2364.07.01.sav
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You're welcome! Here are a couple more saves, although I think the first one I attached is still the best to use. It is before the Ketlings make their proposal for an offensive war. They should ask within a few months, then the 180 day timer kicks in.

Matt
Yes, that save was the golden one! That's the first save I've seen that gives the player a war invitation message.

This has been a tricky one to track down, but I have a good lead on what might be causing this now and am hoping that I'll get a fix in for the next patch!

• 2Like
Reactions:
This has just happened to me as well. A federal war I had kept preventing so far, until I forgot to answer the last notification. The tooltip also says "will be denied automatically".

I figure that you no longer need a save but while you are at it, perhaps it's worth reporting what looks like a wrong assumption of the strength of this federal war's victim.

They are qualified as Overwhelming in the War Declaration view, except that they are all the contrary. My fed regroups the 2 or 3 most powerful empires in the galaxy (including the war's requester), and the future victim has no allies and has been plagued by an AI uprising since decades.

Attachments

• stellaris_declareWarOnOverwhelming.jpeg
    stellaris_declareWarOnOverwhelming.jpeg
    101,3 KB · Views: 0
  • stellaris_declareWarOnOverwhelming2.jpeg
    stellaris_declareWarOnOverwhelming2.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • stellaris_declareWarOnOverwhelming3.jpeg
    stellaris_declareWarOnOverwhelming3.jpeg
    164,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This has just happened to me as well. A federal war I had kept preventing so far, until I forgot to answer the last notification. The tooltip also says "will be denied automatically".

I figure that you no longer need a save but while you are at it, perhaps it's worth reporting what looks like a wrong assumption of the strength of this federal war's victim.

They are qualified as Overwhelming in the War Declaration view, except that they are all the contrary. My fed regroups the 2 or 3 most powerful empires in the galaxy (including the war's requester), and the future victim has no allies and has been plagued by an AI uprising since decades.
Ah, so it fails to auto decline in a federation vote as well. That's very good to know :) I'll make sure to check that out.

I'll also make sure to post this about the empire strength to QA as well. It indeed looks weird. Do you happen to have a save with that vote pending or soon about to happen?

Ah, so it fails to auto decline in a federation vote as well. That's very good to know :) I'll make sure to check that out.

I'll also make sure to post this about the empire strength to QA as well. It indeed looks weird. Do you happen to have a save with that vote pending or soon about to happen?
Could you guys concider making this a hotfix? Because this is kinda a game breaking bug.

Here's an autosave. I didn't clean save it without mods but most are purely visual. However, as there are Real Space 3.7, RS - System Scale and RS - New Frontiers, I didn't take the risk to save without them. Normally, If you wait for a little over 4.5 month, the federal war should be declared without your vote.

In case it's useful, this save could also allow to experience the issue reported there:
Just make sure you have unemployed workers before closing technician jobs.

Attachments

• autosave_2585.01.01 federal war proposal.sav
    4,4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm investigating this right now and hope to push a fix in for the Nemesis patch, but we can't make any promises at this stage :smile:

I'm investigating this right now and hope to push a fix in for the Nemesis patch, but we can't make any promises at this stage :)
By a hotifix i mean make 2.8.2 basically. Just to fix this bug. Because it is game breaking. And mabye fix a few other bugs aswell?

Could a modder work on a fix in the meantime?

It is very good to hear that you are hoping to make a push to the nemesis patch, though a bit simultaneously disappointing that its not a "certain" to be pushed, as it is a rather major bug.

Actually, that said, if you have the fix working, putting some of these fixes in a 2.8.2 would be very nice, as we might have another month or two til Nemesis comes out and otherwise the bugs will remain in the base game til then.

Already tried it. Sadly the issue seems hardcoded and i could not find a workaround.
A quick and dirty fix would be to set ai weight to 0 for inviting players into an offensive war.