• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #198: Provocations

They say that to escape any rampaging beast, you don't need to outrun it - just whoever you're with.
- Diuuret, Spymaster operating within the Anathurian Nation.

Hello again!

Now that we've gone over several of the basic Operations, this week we want to go over Provocations.

Operations vary in risk and consequences. The simplest Operations such as Gathering Information and Acquiring Assets will only rarely cause major issues between the two Empires, while Stealing Technology or Sabotaging Starbases is more frowned upon and can cause some diplomatic issues. Provocations are the types of acts that the galaxy as a whole will generally take a dim view to, treating them as war crimes. Expect blowback and repercussions from them, even when they are successful.

Part of these repercussions is modelled by the loss of Infiltration - whether it be that parts of your Spy Network are compromised, security holes have been closed in response, or "friends" within the empire stop being quite as friendly. The flashier and messier the operation is, the more your network will be impacted.

Provocations will usually cause the greatest losses of Infiltration, making it difficult or impossible to run other operations in that network until it is built back up.

One Provocation that we're planning is Arm Privateers (Provocation, Economy). It's a fairly advanced Operation requiring an Infiltration level of 60, and has the primary objective of disrupting the target empire by providing weapons and funding to violent and unstable individuals.

1611756877653.png

Surely nothing will go wrong with this plan.

The weapons are untraceable, so it'll be fine.

1611758359021.png

These are a trustworthy group, right?

Your spymaster makes a good point there though.

1611758491624.png

Last chance to back out.

1611758535202.png

Privateers or pirates?

The Privateer fleet disabled the local starbase and set up their own little pirate base. Their fleet strength is based to a degree on the fleet strength of the empire it was created in, so while it is likely to be only a temporary annoyance, it can prove incredibly useful if deployed at the right time.

As noted during the events, these fleets are hostile to everyone, including their original patrons.

The nastiest Operation to date is the Crisis Beacon (Provocation, Technology).

1611749766626.png

Surely nothing will go wrong with this plan either.

Crisis Beacon is an extremely difficult Operation to pull off, but if successful, will add the target's capital system as a target of interest to an ongoing End-Game Crisis. It currently has the highest Infiltration level requirement (80) and cost of any Operation. This will typically require an extremely well developed Spy Network with numerous Assets.

If all goes according to plan, this will usually result in the Crisis sending a fleet to "investigate" it in the friendly way that they do when visiting systems.

1611749945551.png

Goodbye! We'll miss you!

As with many Operations, things can develop in different ways depending on what's going on.

1611750123993.png

The last time we'll hear from them.

Shortly thereafter, the bait is set.

1611750182104.png

It's like Prethoryn catnip.

The sacrifice of our operatives (and the rest of the Spy Network that we had built up in the Anathurian Nation) bought us a bit of time as it diverted a Prethoryn fleet away from our own territory. The Swarm chose to support that fleet with other resources, leading them away from our border nicely.

Now, this sort of Operation is definitely an act of war, and we're currently discussing exactly what the consequences should be if you get caught performing such a heinous deed. At the very least, your target is not going to be happy at all with you. (And if you have a Xenophilic faction they might not be too pleased.)

That's this week's dossier of secret information. Next week we'll continue to talk about the Crisis a bit.

• 122Like
  • 43Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Very nice idea about Scourge Beacon.

Though I must say - when I read "Provocations" I expected a DD about how you provoke Empire X into going to war with Empire Y (and all variants of it - such as breaking up alliance between X and Y or creating a casus belli for yourself against Z etc., etc.). Hope these kind of provocations will be included.

Reactions:
Very nice idea about Scourge Beacon.

Though I must say - when I read "Provocations" I expected a DD about how you provoke Empire X into going to war with Empire Y (and all variants of it - such as breaking up alliance between X and Y or creating a casus belli for yourself against Z etc., etc.). Hope these kind of provocations will be included.
More like some events which could lead to war if those empires react in some way to this event and some negatives modifiers for them if they don't go to war

Something like a Prisoner's dilemma would be interesting

More like some events which could lead to war if those empires react in some way to this event and some negatives modifiers for them if they don't go to war

Something like a Prisoner's dilemma would be interesting
I was talking only about the end-result of a provocation. Of course it can be implemented in various ways.

They say that to escape any rampaging beast, you don't need to outrun it - just whoever you're with.
- Diuuret, Spymaster operating within the Anathurian Nation.

Hello again!

Now that we've gone over several of the basic Operations, this week we want to go over Provocations.

Operations vary in risk and consequences. The simplest Operations such as Gathering Information and Acquiring Assets will only rarely cause major issues between the two Empires, while Stealing Technology or Sabotaging Starbases is more frowned upon and can cause some diplomatic issues. Provocations are the types of acts that the galaxy as a whole will generally take a dim view to, treating them as war crimes. Expect blowback and repercussions from them, even when they are successful.

Part of these repercussions is modelled by the loss of Infiltration - whether it be that parts of your Spy Network are compromised, security holes have been closed in response, or "friends" within the empire stop being quite as friendly. The flashier and messier the operation is, the more your network will be impacted.

Provocations will usually cause the greatest losses of Infiltration, making it difficult or impossible to run other operations in that network until it is built back up.

One Provocation that we're planning is Arm Privateers (Provocation, Economy). It's a fairly advanced Operation requiring an Infiltration level of 60, and has the primary objective of disrupting the target empire by providing weapons and funding to violent and unstable individuals.

View attachment 675215
Surely nothing will go wrong with this plan.

The weapons are untraceable, so it'll be fine.

View attachment 675221
These are a trustworthy group, right?

Your spymaster makes a good point there though.

View attachment 675223
Last chance to back out.

View attachment 675225
Privateers or pirates?

The Privateer fleet disabled the local starbase and set up their own little pirate base. Their fleet strength is based to a degree on the fleet strength of the empire it was created in, so while it is likely to be only a temporary annoyance, it can prove incredibly useful if deployed at the right time.

As noted during the events, these fleets are hostile to everyone, including their original patrons.

The nastiest Operation to date is the Crisis Beacon (Provocation, Technology).

View attachment 675184
Surely nothing will go wrong with this plan either.

Crisis Beacon is an extremely difficult Operation to pull off, but if successful, will add the target's capital system as a target of interest to an ongoing End-Game Crisis. It currently has the highest Infiltration level requirement (80) and cost of any Operation. This will typically require an extremely well developed Spy Network with numerous Assets.

If all goes according to plan, this will usually result in the Crisis sending a fleet to "investigate" it in the friendly way that they do when visiting systems.

View attachment 675185
Goodbye! We'll miss you!

As with many Operations, things can develop in different ways depending on what's going on.

View attachment 675186
The last time we'll hear from them.

Shortly thereafter, the bait is set.

View attachment 675187
It's like Prethoryn catnip.

The sacrifice of our operatives (and the rest of the Spy Network that we had built up in the Anathurian Nation) bought us a bit of time as it diverted a Prethoryn fleet away from our own territory. The Swarm chose to support that fleet with other resources, leading them away from our border nicely.

Now, this sort of Operation is definitely an act of war, and we're currently discussing exactly what the consequences should be if you get caught performing such a heinous deed. At the very least, your target is not going to be happy at all with you. (And if you have a Xenophilic faction they might not be too pleased.)

That's this week's dossier of secret information. Next week we'll continue to talk about the Crisis a bit.
So I know you and the other devs are working hard with espionage and spying and stuff but I think it would be super cool if you checked out this system about supplies for ships. I think it's really cool and solves a few issues for Stellaris and if you have time I would love it if you could check it out

link
\/\/\/\/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/a-thorough-and-in-depth-supply-system.1405973/

We've got a number of DS9 fans on the team, after all it is the best Star Trek series.

Really hope this means we can trick other empires into wars. Mid-late game is far too static outside of proactively going to war. Federations and empires are far too stable and it would be so cool to use espionage to mix things up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really hope this means we can trick other empires into wars. Mid-late game is far too static outside of proactively going to war. Federations and empires are far too stable and it would be so cool to use espionage to mix things up.
Unrelated to this thread but a Civil war mechanics with internal institutions would make Empire possibly unstable even without wars

This idea is clearly underdevelopped, you've just sometime some slaves uprising and AI but it's not very often

Reactions:
Unrelated to this thread but a Civil war mechanics with internal institutions would make Empire possibly unstable even without wars

This idea is clearly underdevelopped, you've just sometime some slaves uprising and AI but it's not very often

Rebellions were more common in early versions of Stellaris. It's definitely something that got completely shafted over the course of the many reworks. I hope it will be brought back at some point and with even greater impact than before. Large empires should really have to struggle to keep themselves cohesive.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Rebellions were more common in early versions of Stellaris. It's definitely something that got completely shafted over the course of the many reworks. I hope it will be brought back at some point and with even greater impact than before. Large empires should really have to struggle to keep themselves cohesive.
Yeah it's a bit sad, because internal conflicts certainly is a huge subject in Sci-fi works and interesting gameplay-wise

an option to provoke an fe to go to war with somebody would make for a decent midgame provocation, especially if you could arrange for them to awaken first.

Espionage is great.

Sabotage can die in a fire for all I care.
>Espionage is great.

>Espionage can die in a fire for all I care.

... well I hope espionage will bring a alternative to the way this game is played instead to the usual filler or the fleet will remain the sole parameter to matter.

Reactions:
an option to provoke an fe to go to war with somebody would make for a decent midgame provocation, especially if you could arrange for them to awaken first.
There is already a communication malfunction event in the game, so it's probably coming
But imagine running a covert terraforming operation on Emerald Mausoleum

So we can lure prethoryns into awakened empires and grab popcorn? Great!

• 3Haha
Reactions:
So we can lure prethoryns into awakened empires and grab popcorn? Great!
if this is possible it will make my day

Reactions:
Echoing what others have said I really hope crime and piracy get a proper rework to make this more than just a regular game of fly-swatting and actually give it some depth, preferably giving more uniqueness to Criminal Syndicates, they have so much potential in such a system but they still don't feel substantially different to play.

I also think a political rework would be the perfect thing to tackle next, we got Federations for the above-board politics and now Espionage for the subterfuge, both of those things could really stand out and feel alive and varied if next we got some big changes to how governments, factions, ethics etc. interact. Playing an egalitarian democracy whose spy networks fund slave rebellions and organise protests should feel very different to playing as a theocratic monarchy that monitors its own citizens for dissent and sabotages its neighbours' elections, but unless things really change I feel like those distinctions will mostly just be flavour.

Reactions:
Will it be possible to make a provocation that closes a branch offices on a planet? Criminal Syndicate really needs this, in the current game my branch keep getting shut down and replace by an other legit megacorps. Also, having criminal syndicate building giving Intel with a crime would be very nice.

Reactions:
Based on the wording of the pirate event I feel like the pirate's tech should be based on YOUR weapon's technology. That could make for some really fun tall tech games where you arm pirates with super weapons.

Reactions:
Sabotage Operations are dedicated to destruction of tangible or intangible things.
Yeah, the usual annyoing stuff "everyone" had warned in order to not be implemented.

One Provocation that we're planning is Arm Privateers (Provocation, Economy).

Their fleet strength is based to a degree on the fleet strength of the empire it was created in, so while it is likely to be only a temporary annoyance, it can prove incredibly useful if deployed at the right time.
See above.

Crisis Beacon is an extremely difficult Operation to pull off, but if successful, will add the target's capital system as a target of interest to an ongoing End-Game Crisis.
"End-Game Crisis" ... That still doesn't really work, right ?

Wanna hear my own little "provocation" ? "Not today !" isn't just the answer from any GoT-character to the death, but also Paradox answer to any patch-related stuff.
And for god's sake to ... anyone ... spare me the "But look at the "impressive" last patch-notes"-speech. A long list of overblown patch-notes in absolute numbers ( for example: 200 lines of patch-notes ) may look impressive, but doesn't look that impressive anymore if just a small fraction of problems were actually addressed in relative numbers ( for example: Just 200 out of 2000 problems ).

Reactions: