• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of January 2021

Hello and Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. 2020 was an interesting year to say the least, but now we are in 2021, and the Tinto team is now fully up to speed with working on the new expansion. Today we’ll focus on some new aspects related to Heirs, Regencies and Estates.

First of all, one change for heirs and their legitimacy is that it will start a fair bit lower on average, and slowly increase over time as the heir grows older. Having high prestige increases it faster. Please note that corruption in your court increases it, as there is nothing screaming legitimate future King as much as a few sacks of gold in your pocket.

Secondly, with this new expansion, we have removed the regency councils, and instead replaced them by Estate Regencies.

Instead, a Regent will be generated from your most powerful estate. This will further increase the power of that estate, which might also give you a specific benefit or not.

eu4_18.png

Please note however that this does not replace consort regencies - consorts will still take priority over an estate-led regency

Thirdly, we are adding the option for extending a regency. Extending a regency reduces legitimacy by 10, and extends the current regency with another 5 years. Of course, the claim of the heir continues to increase. While a regency has some drawbacks, this can be very beneficial, if your heir is an imbecile, and your regency council is not entire incompetent.

Lest we forget, we have also changed so that you are no longer constantly losing legitimacy the longer you have a regency, but instead its an increase in stability cost.

We are also adding a fair bit more interesting events that occur when you are in a regency, all to add more interesting flavor to the experience, not to mention interesting situations.

As you may have noticed, this is one of the shorter development diaries, even if it gives you some new features, but next week, we’ll return to an interesting look at some more american nations and their content.

• 157Like
  • 24Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This DD might be short, but I like it far more than the previous ones. It goes one more step in the direction of integrating game mechanics and shows that there are still mechanic reworks in the cards.

I would like that if the decline process they talked about a few dev diaries ago would be updated into a real mechanic that could hit any country and if they could continue to talk about changes in diplomacy.

Reactions:
Ofc the text must be accurate. But the question posed by Kapi96 is not accuracy at all (everyone understood that "with" instead of a "by"), but minor grammar and spelling mistakes. I cant completely agree with that kind of worry. I want PDS spend more resources with programmers for fixing AI, not with people to revise minor mistakes. That is just aesthetics. Low priority. I see no problem in reporting the text mistakes, but that one seemed to me a little too harsh.

It's low priority but it's also a low effort fix. This instance could be fixed in under a minute, and if a centralized place to report localization errors existed, it's not unreasonable to think that someone taking an hour after lunch every couple weeks could get rid of nearly all of them. Also, localization doesn't require any kind of coding knowledge. It's something that I could easily do despite being utterly rubbish with any kind of scripting and code work, since all that needs to be changed is the displayed text

Reactions:
Enables Sich Rada mechanic, disables other government mechanics

What sich rada mechanics? They have a complete lack of mechanics. No estates, no factions, no unions, no hord stuff. They combine the worst of all, so giving them something would need to come first.
If you're going to keep buffing monarchies the least you could do is buff republics as well

Poor theocracies. They don’t even have any way to influence mana generation. You can’t disinherit and you can’t focus your next rulers stats like in republics. There is a selection event for your heir but it does nothing for ruler stats if you pick a merchants son instead of a noble or clergy man. That should actually have influence on the heirs stats like it is the case for republics.

Reactions:
This is a small change on paper, but I see major implications for gameplay if you play as a monarchy. Also, I agree with some of the other posters that there should be an option to have a foreign ruler/leader as a regent under certain circumstances (ex. Vassals, PUs, etc.).

Reactions:
Will special estates like Dhimmi, Cossacks, Rajputs or Jains have a chance at becoming regent?

Reactions:
Hopefully EU5 in ... 2025? AHH Just take my money now.

Dynastic warfare was so important and it's sad to see it not happen.

Think of all the events that can't really happen because you really only ever get one heir...

1. Glorious Revolution in England
  2. Every Ottoman civil war - though we have mechanics to help simulate it
  3. Stuarts taking over England
  4. The Hasburgs controlling Spain and Austria
  5. Spanish Succession
  6. Henry VIII and his kids
  7. etc

I was also often thinking how good would it be if there would be some sort of court mechanic where by events you could get some disgruntled character from nearby country or rival or allied country. For example a rival calimant rises when a week heir ascends the throne and he gets beaten and there is a ceratin chance that after that he flees to a neighbouring country or rivaled to the mother country. This country then has an event to add him to their court and use him for a potential CB to put him on the throne and. Something simila could be achieved with other rebels and other types of CBs. Imagine a religious leader asking your support to take over and impose a different religion on a country. I would even like to see some rare events wher disgruntled estates that were suppresed by a low legitimacy ruler offer you the throne of that cuntry.

Also, in a future EU game the union mechanic could be modified to be more fluid. After listening to the Russian History podcast I realized that the Commonwealth was at the beginning lead on the international stage by Lituania's interests, and it is logical as Lituania's duke was offered the crown of Poland and he still was viewing internatonal politics from the point view of Lithuania's intersts first. So, there could be a mechanic where Lituania by event will get Poland under personal union and on the death of the monarch an event will pop up that will offer you to switch the senior partner of the union. This event and mechanic should be not only specific to Poland-Lituania. For example if a smaller country inherits the throne of a bigger one on the crowning of a new monarch the player has to make a choice and if he picks to leave the smaller country as the leader of the union then the PU partner will have a penalty to their Liberty Desire. In to that Liberty Desire penalty should factor the stated dev and heavily the rank of the country. For example an emperor will have enough gravitas just from the sheer title to hold even a somewhat bigger than his realm duchy. A penalty to Liberty Desire could be added to the country from which you switch with a cool down for it to decrease.

Reactions:
I was also often thinking how good would it be if there would be some sort of court mechanic where by events you could get some disgruntled character from nearby country or rival or allied country. For example a rival calimant rises when a week heir ascends the throne and he gets beaten and there is a ceratin chance that after that he flees to a neighbouring country or rivaled to the mother country. This country then has an event to add him to their court and use him for a potential CB to put him on the throne and. Something simila could be achieved with other rebels and other types of CBs. Imagine a religious leader asking your support to take over and impose a different religion on a country. I would even like to see some rare events wher disgruntled estates that were suppresed by a low legitimacy ruler offer you the throne of that cuntry.

Also, in a future EU game the union mechanic could be modified to be more fluid. After listening to the Russian History podcast I realized that the Commonwealth was at the beginning lead on the international stage by Lituania's interests, and it is logical as Lituania's duke was offered the crown of Poland and he still was viewing internatonal politics from the point view of Lithuania's intersts first. So, there could be a mechanic where Lituania by event will get Poland under personal union and on the death of the monarch an event will pop up that will offer you to switch the senior partner of the union. This event and mechanic should be not only specific to Poland-Lituania. For example if a smaller country inherits the throne of a bigger one on the crowning of a new monarch the player has to make a choice and if he picks to leave the smaller country as the leader of the union then the PU partner will have a penalty to their Liberty Desire. In to that Liberty Desire penalty should factor the stated dev and heavily the rank of the country. For example an emperor will have enough gravitas just from the sheer title to hold even a somewhat bigger than his realm duchy. A penalty to Liberty Desire could be added to the country from which you switch with a cool down for it to decrease.

Supporting other claimants would be cool. Think British History and how the French regularly hosted banished nobles e.g. After Cromwell and then the Stuarts when the Georgians came to power.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In my opinion, it would be cool if you revamped elective monarchy mechanic for Poland so after king's death he will be succeeded by an Interrex who works like a regent and rules until a new king is elected

Reactions:
Supporting other claimants would be cool. Think British History and how the French regularly hosted banished nobles e.g. After Cromwell and then the Stuarts when the Georgians came to power.
Actually you can do it already by supporting pretender rebels, but it’s quite underwhelming tbh.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be good if paradox would change it so that countries can still go to war while under a regency, it is so frustrating to suddenly miss your opportunity to strike at a weakened enemy because your leader dies suddenly and your heir is not of age. Perhaps it would be better if you are still able to go to war, but with some form of negative effect or modifier (such as a stability or legitimacy hit). Or if you can only go to war for certain reasons, like retaking core territory. An interesting mechanic would be to make different requirements or negative hits based on what estate is in charge i.e. you can only do religious wars if the clergy is in charge of your regency council. This would give the player more options where they would have to weigh the pros and cons of going to war, rather than just a blanket 'no war for you' rule.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure if the inability for a country to declare war under regency council make any sense at all, as I was under an impression that the regency council would normally have full authority to exercise all royal prerogatives unless the will or an Act of Parliament explicitly restricted it. There are known instances where powers of the regency have been legislatively restricted, best example being the case of the British Prince Regent ruling on behalf of incapacitated George III during his late reign. However, that restrictions was limited to a duration of one year only and I believe the power to declare war (which formally remained royal prerogative to this day but nowadays the government will seek public approval before going to a war, though formal declaration appeared to have not been used since the Second World War) was not explicitly restricted.

Rather than completely disable it for Regency Council, I suggest putting the estates or Parliament (latter via the executive Cabinet, who are always composed of MPs and Lords of Parliament in Constitutional Monarchy; this is particularly true in Britain) in active role with respect to declaring the war. Whether they would support the declaration of war would depend on factors. The factors may be the following:

1. Value of provinces of the country proposed for declaration of war against to the estates (e.g. potential for wealth as in Development/Trade for Burghers, potential for glories and opportunities (military career, more land) for Nobility, possible new provinces to convert for the Clergy)
  2. Relative strength of military to the proposed country
  3. Estate loyalty; negative estate loyalty make it much more difficult to convince the estate to support the war
  4. Relative level of disorder embodied by rebellions, stability level, et cetera
  5. Possible disruption to the trade as a result of the war which may or may not make Burghers estate nervous.
  6. Whether the proposed target is a rival, is Great Power (more especially relevant if the attacker is not a Great Power), have excellent/poor relation, supported rebellion of the other estate (Nobility might take a very narrow view of a foreign power supporting the peasant rebellion in their own lands)
  7. Even more intriguing, the bribery by a foreign country through the Spy Actions that make them less willing to support the war against that country (and possibly that country's allies as well); conversely they may be bribed into supporting declaration of war against the country that the bribing country is a rival or for some reason. The bribery action would have to be ongoing and active. To make it a bit more interesting, the bribed estate may even agitate for a declaration of war against such country via events with some penalty for failure to propose a DOW before the timer expired (not unlike that event where the Burgher estate request that you declare war on a specific country or something like that). Such event may also occur independently of bribery.
  8. Whether the target is overseas or not; the Nobility estate might be less likely to support as they tend to be far less involved in colonization than the Burghers are.

And I could go on but you get the idea. (Note 1)

In this scenario, you would see beforehand their leanings (similar to how you can see where the AI enemy countries stand when offering peace to them) with respect of proposed declaration of war before them. In fact, some of the factors used in determining a country's willingness to join the call to war may also be used in Regency Council war declaration mechanic. You would have to use bribes, make offers, and other leverages to win their approval for the war within the Regency Council. There may be some trade-off in negotiating support for the declaration of war prior to the vote within the regency so you would need to carefully weigh the benefit and drawbacks with regards to the members of the Regency Council before making any bribes (immediate effect) or offering concessions (long-term effect; adds ).

The scenario lead to another thing to consider: The Regency Council should be populated, instead of being completely faceless body, with randomly generated personalities similar to Advisors that are drawn from various Estates, with an estate being dominant or even have all seats. In fact, it may even have Advisors and possibly Military Leaders but these personalities need to be also drawn from the estates (similar to how they are drawn from various cultures, different religions, et cetera). Advisors may vote with the estate they belong to unless sufficiently persuaded with offers of concessions (pay raises for Advisor? ;P) or bribes.

The council may have 3 or 5 members; it may even have a range of 3-5 members depending on how big the country are. Obviously that would mean trying to negotiate with the council can get a bit more (financially and politically) expensive in larger country since you have to deal with five instead of three. There could be greater number beyond 5 but I don't know how practical that would be.

Who sits on the Regency Council at the time of monarch's death may be decided beforehand if the player desire (after all, Henry VIII of England named the members in his will before he died and was succeeded by Edward VI who was still a minor at the time of latter's accession to the throne). You would choose from list that contains randomly generated estate personalities, the advisors in employment at the time of selection, and possibly the Military Leaders). These selection may in turn determine the Monarch Power of the regency council. If any member died and were not replaced before your monarch died, the replacement will be randomly generated. It may even be required that at least one member be from Advisors and one member from at least one estate or all estates.

This in turn may also mean that members of the regency may try to take advantage by making some politically controversial demands such as granting more lands to their own estate, at expense of royal power and other estates (which is sure to provoke unhappiness and jealousy, especially if they do not have a seat on the council). I think

All of this, I think, would make for an interesting strategic challenges in preparing for the regency in the event it should occur. I don't remember if monarchs generally lives longer in late-game or their life expectancy is just random but assuming that life spans improves over the time, this would potentially mean regencies would be more likely in early game and thus more frequent. However, whether this will contribute to gameplay value or would create more micromanagement is an open question and that is something that ought to be examined carefully before it may be considered for implementation into the game. Moreover, it is not clear whether this is feasible within the current framework / foundation that Europa Universalis IV is built on, so it may have to wait for the next-generation successor EU5, whenever that will be developed and released.

Regarding the lack of Nobility estate as an issue that we have discussed in context of English Monarchy with respect to the estate regency since their members have been historically drawn from that estate, there is a possible solution. The Nobility estate may be re-enabled as an entity but their interactions and such would be disabled when Parliament is active, with their power being derived from its control of the Parliament instead. Passage of certain issues in the debate may reduce or increase their influence/loyalty relative to the Crown and also could impact the loyalty/influence of other factions. I could go on about that and more but improvements to the Parliament mechanics is another topic so I may just make a new thread about this instead. The point is that, by enabling that estate, it could solve the problem of having no Nobility estate to lead the estate-based regency council.

------
Note 1: One interesting thing I just thought about is that If assignment of provinces for estates had been retained, the relative proximity of their provinces to the potential outbreak of war (e.g. border provinces) may make them less willing to support the war, unless that country have relatively high level of Aggressive Expansion. Just a thought, not advocating its return or continued removal.

Reactions:
I think a regency council ability to declare war should be locked only if it has less than 50% legitimacy. That would make the features presented in this DD more interesting to keep and play with.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I think a regency council ability to declare war should be locked only if it has less than 50% legitimacy. That would make the features presented in this DD more interesting to keep and play with.

That's a nice idea

• 4Like
Reactions:
we need more info on this, can't say anything for sure with so little to grind.

Austria will be nerfed big time if you can't declare wars the first 11 years of the game

Seems to be super-easy to implement, and makes regencies a bit more interactive.

• 1Like
Reactions: