• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It sounds like Germany has been contained but that Japan still is expanding its territory in mainland Asia. And the Middle East is still in the air. Which is good - let the Italians burn up men and equipment butting heads against the Brits.
The Brits seem to be concentrating what little forces they have to spare, on the Mediterranean theatre. This makes some sense, as they do now seem to have sufficient forces in place to avoid losing El Iskandarîya, let alone the Suez Canal. They have, however, botched their logistics by shipping supplies into Alexandria, and then trucking them, through the desert, including areas with heavily damaged infrastructure, to Tobruch, where the port remains entirely inactive. Had they set up a convoy to Tobruch, they would likely be knocking on the doors of Bengazi right about now...
Another consideration is the British operation in Greece, which has now doubled in size. It's once again a double-edged sword. If the Italians react in force to the Brits expanding their hold on the Peloponnesos, and they manage to push them back in short order, we might well be able to secure all of Greece later on, and potentially bag ourselves a bunch of Divisions in Greece by taking out Bulgaria and rushing to the Adriatic. However, if the Brits manage to be successful, we may need to hurry if we want to secure a mainland Aegean port for ourselves. Of course, a Soviet landing in Bulgaria, and/or northern Greece, which will only be possible after most of the Norwegian operation is concluded, and the transports have been relocated, would make it easier for the Brits to grab more territory, if they've survived the likely Italian counter-attacks. More on this later.

I wish Allies were a tad more active in the Pacific. But what happens there, in the end, does not really matter much. Europe is the main course.
Japan's success does put some pressure on the Soviet Union. A Japan that has secured it's own backyard and all the resources in South-East Asia, may feel confident enough to take on the Soviet Union, especially if we are still embroiled in our European war. Attempts to negotiate a non-agression pact have gone no-where, so there is a constant threat from the East, which forces the Red Army to keep substantial forces on the Manchurian border despite the fact that they could be quite helpful in the European theatre. Of course, the best case scenario is that the Japanese remain on the side-lines, allowing us to attack them at the opportune moment.

That Li-2D picture looks suspiciously like a lend lease DC3...
This does a disservice to the Soviet Union's Aeronautical industry. The Soviets got a license to produce the DC-3 back in 1939 after Aeroflot bought a 21 DC-3's from Douglas as a sweetener. Despite the similar appearance, the ensuing PS-84 passenger plane was quite different from the DC-3, using Shvetsov radial engines optimised for cold weather conditions and low altitude operations. (hence a lower operational ceiling and lower top speed than the DC-3) Due to the conversion to metric, structural reinforcements to the frame, and the use of thicker steel for the outer skin of the fuselage, the Soviet version was 50kg heavier, despite being 5cm shorter, and having a 19cm shorter wingspan. The planes were produced in the GAZ factories before the war, with 237 planes produced by June 1941. Immediately after Barbarossa, the Lisunov design bureau was responsible for the conversion of most of these civilian PS-84's into military transports, hence the name for the military variant: Lisunov Li-2. And then, a bunch of different purpose-built military variant started to be produced instead of the civilian variant. The Lisunov Li-2 is not directly based on lend-lease C-47's, but rather a Soviet-developed military variant of a civilian plane that was based on the DC-3. It is thus not surprising that the differences between the C-47 and the later Li-2D's (military transport) and Li-2VV's (bomber) was more pronounced than the difference between a civilian DC-3 and a PS-84.
Of course, to add to the confusion, over 700 Lend-Lease C-47's were delivered to the Soviet Union during the war, which must have been fun for the ground crews, which found themselves servicing two aeroplane types that were very similar but shared few parts. They do look suspiciously similar.
Somewhere between 5.000 and 6.000 Li-2/PS-84's were produced between 1940 and 1954, which suggests, assuming higher than average wartime production, that the VVS likely had operated three times as many Li-2's, than it had C-47's by 1945.

• 1Like
Reactions:
180 SD (VI SK, 4ya Armiya, 4th AG, Odessa HQ) was forced to surrender to German and Hungarian forces in Uzhorod on the 12th of September. (see GPW update to come)
It appears his division lost the 'leg race' described in the last GPW update. If they cannot even be bothered to run fast for the Motherland then they are no loss.

Will the Axis ever run ot of convoys?
A valid question.

The sound-deadening on the inside, a hold-over from the pre-war passenger version, was stripped out,
I am disappointed the passenger version even had sound-deadening. Soviet citizens should rejoice at being deafened by the noise of glorious progress.

This does a disservice to the Soviet Union's Aeronautical industry. The Soviets got a license to produce the DC-3 back in 1939 after Aeroflot bought a 21 DC-3's from Douglas as a sweetener. Despite the similar appearance, the ensuing PS-84 passenger plane was quite different from the DC-3, using Shvetsov radial engines optimised for cold weather conditions and low altitude operations. (hence a lower operational ceiling and lower top speed than the DC-3) Due to the conversion to metric, structural reinforcements to the frame, and the use of thicker steel for the outer skin of the fuselage, the Soviet version was 50kg heavier, despite being 5cm shorter, and having a 19cm shorter wingspan
The Shvetsov M-62 radials were the Soviet copy of the Wright Cyclones they licenced in 1931. The 'optimisation' is a bit unclear, sources I've seen suggest they mostly just copied across the improvements found in the Cyclones that came with the DC-3s they brought. Indeed the Shvetsov engine design bureau was formed entirely to produce metric versions of the Wright engines and make Soviet copies which they would not need to pay a licence fee for.

My suspicion is that the lower ceiling and weight of the Li-2 were due to the extra weight and shorter wingspan and the limitations of the copied engines, the 'optimisation' being something of a smokescreen to cover up those problems. That said once the improvements found in the more recent Cyclones were copied across to Soviet design I suspect the later Li-2s would be a lot closer in performance.

• 2Like
Reactions:
They are now 80km from Singapore, which is defended only by the brand new understrength 'Singapore HQ' which was hastily assembled to take over from the Far Eastern Theatre HQ. Unless the Allies ship in reinforcements within the next week, the UK will lose the city and all it represents.
I suppose that might happen, but seems highly unlikely assumi typical British AI behaviour. Even 11 would be unlikely to pul that off.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It appears his division lost the 'leg race' described in the last GPW update. If they cannot even be bothered to run fast for the Motherland then they are no loss.
To be fair to them, they did end up being beaten by a German Motorised Division, and it was a close-run thing. They ran quite quickly, but still lost, so they're dead to us now.

I am disappointed the passenger version even had sound-deadening. Soviet citizens should rejoice at being deafened by the noise of glorious progress.
I guess getting deafened by the noise of glorious progress is what the passenger version of the Tupolev TB-3 is all about. Not only do you get no sound-deadening, you get an outer skin made of ill-fitting corrugated steel plates that are bound to rattle in flight.

The Shvetsov M-62 radials were the Soviet copy of the Wright Cyclones they licenced in 1931. The 'optimisation' is a bit unclear, sources I've seen suggest they mostly just copied across the improvements found in the Cyclones that came with the DC-3s they brought. Indeed the Shvetsov engine design bureau was formed entirely to produce metric versions of the Wright engines and make Soviet copies which they would not need to pay a licence fee for.

My suspicion is that the lower ceiling and weight of the Li-2 were due to the extra weight and shorter wingspan and the limitations of the copied engines, the 'optimisation' being something of a smokescreen to cover up those problems. That said once the improvements found in the more recent Cyclones were copied across to Soviet design I suspect the later Li-2s would be a lot closer in performance.
Interesting, I should say my research on this is limited to a few online sources. While the M-62's were copies of the Wright cyclones in most respects, and 'optimisation' for low altitude flight does seem like smokescreen for bad performance, they were modified (beyond translating into metric) for improved cold weather reliability. It's not clear just how well these modifications worked, though. It's very likely the same modifications were applied to the american-made engines of the Lend-Lease C-47's. So, as I understand it, most of the design is American, but there was some cross-pollination where the M-62 got better by copying the newer Cyclones, but the newer Cyclones were themselves modified based on lessons learned from operating the M-62's in cold weather.

I suppose that might happen, but seems highly unlikely assuming typical British AI behaviour. Even 11 would be unlikely to pul that off.
We'd prefer the British defend Singapore instead of increasing their presence in Greece, but it looks like they're not going to be doing what we prefer. As for 11, she'd need at least a full Naval Infantry Brigade to hold off the Japs, none of which have yet finished training. A small unsanctioned commando operation definitely isn't going to cut it, and the VVS isn't going to risk it's transport planes to fly troops into Singapore, not with large numbers of Japanese CAG's in the area, so they're not getting there in time anyway. And that's assuming the Brits even give us permission to go defend Singapore, which they won't because they would be rightfully worried that we would never leave, making Singapore de facto Soviet territory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To be fair to them, they did end up being beaten by a German Motorised Division, and it was a close-run thing. They ran quite quickly, but still lost, so they're dead to us now.
Outrun by running dogs. Sums it up really. ;)
And that's assuming the Brits even give us permission to go defend Singapore, which they won't because they would be rightfully worried that we would never leave, making Singapore de facto Soviet territory.
Yes. The diplo screen usually labels that “Impossible” and all you do is waste a diplomatic team if you try it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I guess getting deafened by the noise of glorious progress is what the passenger version of the Tupolev TB-3 is all about. Not only do you get no sound-deadening, you get an outer skin made of ill-fitting corrugated steel plates that are bound to rattle in flight.

But it has two advantages:

1. it would be well ventilated.
2. The passengers would never have to worry about heat stroke.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Per the several nurses and other medical professionals I've dated, that's a perfect way to maintain a perect record for safety: people aren't dead until they're warm and dead.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
20th of September 1942, 'Odin': GPW 10-day Report #9
20th of September 1942, Vologda, -1,0°C, 6pm Moscow Time

'Piat' sent over a file on the 15th, relating to 'Odinatsat's recent whereabouts:

The note at the top read:

'It seems Colonel Turgenev and MajGen. Bordanovisy found a way to punish Major Goleniewsky after all. They gave her what she wanted: A chance to observe an amphibious operation first-hand. With the caveat that she wasn't allowed to take any of her cadets along.'​

Now, you may ask, why does 'Piat' consider this a punishment? For starters, the weather was miserable by all accounts, as for the mission itself, I'll just let you read Goleniewsky's report on the matter:

14th of September 1942. 10:00.​
Report on landing operations in Etne Norway,​
By Major Irina Goleniewsky.​
The observations in this report were made from the bridge and deck of the old Light Cruiser Komintern (previously known as Pamiat Merkuria). My viewing platform was, in short, a cramped 41 year old rust-bucket that would have been scrapped at least a decade ago if it had been part of any foreign major navy.​
Large-scale Amphibious operations being a new concept in the Soviet Union, I didn't expect anything near a British level of proficiency, but what I saw was truly horrifying.​
The wooden life-boats were launched one at a time, and a tiny rope-ladder was used to transfer the riflemen to the boat, one at a time. Once a squad of 9 riflemen was in the boat, a single sailor joined them and tried to teach these mountaineers how to row in an orderly fashion.​
Our Navy was unloading these troops with the same urgency as when they land a delegation of officers into a friendly port. None of the Red Navy officers even considered any of my suggestions to speed things along. As far as they were concerned I was just there to observe.​
If it hadn't been for my healing broken leg, I would have personally made my way over to the transport ships to make them move things along. The only saving grace was that the landing ground had been well-selected, and the water in the fjord that lead to it was surprisingly deep, allowing our cruisers to get quite close, and the transports to lay at anchor just 1 kilometer from the beach.​
Even with this short distance to cover, the troops ended up scattered over a 3 km wide area. Of course, one might argue that the slightly above average waves and the humid weather had a role in this dispersion, but I mostly blame inexperience and incompetence. I should add that two lifeboats capsized during the operation, causing 5 casualties and further delays. The landing of 9.000 troops from 10 transport ships with 10 25-seat lifeboats each took no less than 48 hours.​
Once the men landed, they also didn't hurry to get to cover. They were very lucky no opposition showed up. I can only imagine how much damage a single squad of trained snipers could have done, let alone a couple of heavy machine-guns. In conclusion, I believe the current training regime of the Naval Infantry is insufficient to overcome the deficiencies observed in Norway. With the current training, our Marines will be much quicker on their feet once they reach the beach than the mountaineers, and they also know how to operate a rowing boat effectively if no motorised craft are available. The main sticking point is the transfer of troops from the big transport ships to the sloops. If left unadressed, this issue will result in very high casualties, and even total failure, in the case of an upposed landing. Our troops need to arrive at a high enough rate for them to overwhelm the enemy, if they don't, they become easy pickings.​
Both the Navy and the Naval Infantry need joint excercises with large transport ships before we send anyone else into an amphibious assault. We also need better coördination between both command structures. In conclusion, this operaiton has shown us exactly how naval landings should not be conducted.​
Major Irina Goleniewsky, 1. Brigada Morskoy Pekhoty.​

Quite the scathing report. It certainly doesn't look like she enjoyed herself very much. 'Piat's sources even mentioned she had her Mosin Nagant on her at all times, but no viable targets showed up for the 52 hours she spent on board. This surely added to her frustration.

'Shest' sent a over a short note on the 18th of September:

Upon her return from Norway, things got just that little bit worse, as a Red Navy Captain Lieutenant turned up dead under mysterious circumstances. The man, who was an instructor at the Naval Academy, had been stabbed to death, and the killer used the murder weapon, a small dagger, to pin a note to his chest. It said:​
"Nice try, Yvonne."​
This news has clearly rattled 'Odinatsat', and she's become a lot harder to follow outside of her duties at the Naval Academy. Surprisingly the OSS seems to have backed off entirely, or maybe that's what they want us to think. Something is afoot, but it's unclear what exactly.​

Trouble seems to follow 'Odinatsat', or maybe the murder of a colleague has nothing to do with her? Who's behind the assasination? The OSS? SIS? The Germans? Surely we will get answers to our questions in the fullness of time. Now. To the war at hand.

Norwegian Front (Norway): 8ya Armiya / Leningrad HQ:
"They can try all they want, but Stavanger is ours. Let us all make the VDV proud." MajGen. Galanin riling up his paratroopers for the defense of Stavanger (1).

The defensive battle for Stavanger (1) was won at 6pm on the 11th, after 3 days and 3 nights of combat. Despite a tactical miscalculation by MajGen. Galanin I.V., his three Divisions held the line, suffering over 800 casualties, and killing close to 1.400 of Genlt. von Senger und Etterlin's binary 52 ID. A brief counter-attack (2) on the 13th was soon called off, as was an enemy probe into Stavanger on the 17th.
Finally, at 3pm on the 17th, a two-pronged attack into Jorpeland (2 & 8) started. By 1pm the next day, it was all over, close to 7.200 enemy combattants were forced to surrender, on top of the 480 casualties they suffered. Genlt. von Senger und Etterlin did get away, reportedly fleeing on board a u-boat.

Sirdal (3) was held at 3am on the 14th, after 4 days, close to 700 Soviet lives lost, and over 900 dead Germans.
An Axis probe into Egersund (4) was soon followed by a Red Army attack on Farsund (6). Fewer than 500 casualties were sustained on either side by the time the last Italian stragglers withdrew.
Evje proved a tougher nut to crack, as a three-day offensive (7) into the province was cut short on the 17th due to mounting casualties, over 500 on either side. The arrival of the Oslo Garrison on the front lines had evened the odds, but opened up the opportunity to take Oslo unopposed, an opportunity that was pounced on by the VDV, which landed in the city at 5am that same day.
The former Oslo Garrison charged into Sirdal (3) on it's own at 4pm, possibly enraged by the loss of the Norwegian capital. The net result was close to 500 enemy casualties for fewer than 20 riflemen.

At 7pm on the 14th, The Black Sea Fleet delivered 46.2 GSD straight to Etne. It took 48 hours for the entire Division to be ferried ashore onto the rocky beaches. Once they had formed up, they moved South towards Haugesund (5), where there was a brief skrimish with a disorganised 96 ID, which promptly fled towards Haukligrend.
26 SAUP (TD/Su-100), scouting ahead of 70 SD, managed to clear a supply route to Bergen on the 16th, making it to Etne on the 18th.
Both the Mountaineers and the Tank Destroyers rushed into Haukligrend, hoping to overrun the fleeing Germans and take them out of the fight.

Forces engaged in battle:Forces killed in action:Prisoners (of war):
Italy16.9864460
Germany90.5553.9157.192
AXIS107.5414.3617.192
Soviet Union162.7893.0370
NOR_42-09-20-min.JPG
Air to ground damageKIA air crewFighters deployedFighters lostBombers deployedBombers lost
AXIS1.633 KIA0////
Soviet Union/40127 x La-7VM (CAG)2 x La-7VM (CAG)128 x Il-10VM (CAG)1 x Il-10VM (CAG)

2 KPA & 8 KPA, based on the RBBF, and commanded by CaptAF 2nd Class Knriukni, flew 19 missions over Evje (11th-13th, 16th-19th), 2 missions over Jorpeland (14th), 6 missions over Farsund (15th-16th), and a single ground attack mission over Kristiansand (20th).

CaptAF 1st Class Zhavronkov's 1 KPA and 7 KPA, detected an enemy division moving in the direction of Oslo, and bombed it once in Brevik. (20th)

Danish Front (DANF): XXXIII SK / Leningrad HQ:
A 4-division combined Italian-Bulgarian attack on Slagelse was shrugged off on the 11th, causing about 1.500 Axis and 32 Soviet casualties.

Bulgaria13.9959020
Italy11.9965790
AXIS25.9911.4810
Soviet Union43.989320
DAN_42-09-20-min.jpg
Air to ground damageKIA air crewFighters deployedFighters lostBombers deployedBombers lost
Germany49336 x Me-109 (Int)49 x Me-109 (Ftr)
Soviet Union107496 x Yak-7 (Int)43 x Yak-7 (Int)74 x TB-3 (Str)8 x TB-3 (Str)
Whilst rebasing from Bergen to Bornholm, LtGenAv. Kalinin's TB-3's were intercepted by GenFl. Lörzer's JK III over the Öresund (1, 10th). Luckily it was a cloudy night and they could soon break visual contact. 8 TB-3's were lost, for 3 Me-109G's.

The Messerschmitts appeared the next day over Coepnhagen, where they were promptly intercepted by LtGenAv. Skripko's V IAK. They lost 43 Yak-7's, but shot down 46 enemy planes.

Baltic Fleet & Northern Fleet: (Baltic Sea, North Sea & Norwegian Coast) RBBF & NF / Leningrad HQ:
Once Oslo was secured and supply convoys were set up, 1 KPA and 7 KPA were rebased to Oslo Air Base. From there, they endeavoured to finish off 12 TTF and 30 UBF, stationed in Kristiansand, which they did in just two missions on the 18th.
SCA_42-09-20-min.jpg
Germany1.293 Naval Base Infrastructure
199 KM personnel KIA
12. TTF (TP)
30. UBF (SS)
Soviet Union0064 x La-7VM (CAG)0 x La-7VM (CAG)64 x Il-10VM (CAG)0 x Il-10VM (CAG)

Main Front Overview:
GPW_42-09-20.jpg

1st Baltic Front (1st BALT F. / Latvian SSR): 2 AG & Arm AG / Moskva HQ:
"If we succeed today, we will trap thousands of enemies in Riga. We must hit them hard, and fast, lest they escape. I have full confidence that we can deliver. Charge!" - MajGen. Moskalenko, firing up his forces for the push into Jurmala (1).

After 11 TD had walked into Tukums unopposed, a two-pronged offensive into Jurmala started at 4am on the 13th (1). MajGen Moskalenko's 3 rifle Divisions were backed by 11 TD flanking Genlt. Harpe's 2 Infantry Divisions. By 11am the next day, the battle was won, resulting in over 1.600 Germans and close to 550 Soviets losing their lives. A counter-attack into Jurmala (2) on the 16th was neutralised when 7 Rifle Divisions charged into Riga (3), only to call it all off as soon as they started taking casualties.

Saldus was taken on the 17th at noon (4), but on the 18th, a 4-Division enemy counter-attack (5) put 9 TD under heavy pressure, leading to MajGen Beloborodov's Division to fall apart by 6am the next day.
Bulgaria5.9961220
Germany96.9212.1620
AXIS102.6172.2840
Soviet Union153.9431.7510
BAL1_42-09-20-min.JPG
Germany374157 x FW-190 (Ftr)74 x FW-190 (Ftr)330 x Ju-88 (Tac)
26 x Ju-290 (Nav)
39 x Ju-88 (Tac)
16 x Ju-290 (Nav)
AXIS1.471 KIA374
Soviet Union142 KIA30372 x Yak-7 (Int)
360 x La-7 (Ftr)
6 x Yak-7 (Int)
4 x La-7 (Ftr)
200 x Yak-4 (Tac)
480 x Il-10 (CAS)
5 x Yak-4 (Tac)
5 x Il-10 (CAS)

On the 11th, Seeaufklärungsgruppe A was intercepted twice by VII IAK, first over the Riga (1), and then over the Gulf of Riga (2).

FK VI managed to drop some bombs on Jurmala on the 16th before LtGenAv. Eremin's Yak-7's arrived to break up Genlt. Dörstling's bombers. (3)

Genlt. Stumpff was less successful the next day, getting his FK V intercepted over Dobele (4) by LtGenAv. Rog's VI IAK before they even reached their targets.

I ShAK flew 2 missions over Riga (battle of Jurmala, 16th).

The Il-10's of V ShAK bombed Saldus twice (battle of Dobele, 16th).

GenltAv. Golovanov's Yak-4's flew 2 missions over Vainode (18th), following up with 4 missions over Riga (battle of Jurmala, 19th-20th).

2nd Baltic Front (2nd BALT F. / Lithuanian SSR North of the Memel): 2 AG & Arm AG / Moskva HQ:
"The soil is drenched in soviet blood, yet we have lost it once more." - A dejected MajGen Golubev K.D. after Taurage (4) has been lost once more despite his best efforts.

The Red Army attack on Pogegen (1) was halted at 9pm on the 10th as Taurage became the target of a major German offensive (3). Genlt. Phleps had 2 Infantry Divisions, 5 sPzD, and the Kavallerie-Kommando MajGen Boldin's three Divisions from two directions. On the 12th, 105 SD broke, to be replaced the next day by 163 MSD. But then 38 SD had to withdraw, and 36 ID managed to increase Phleps' numerical advantage. 8 TD's arrival on the 14th proved too little too late, as our forces started collapsing, 12 KavD and 163 MSD had to withdraw, and to add insult to injury, 1 ID further strengthened the enemy attack. Now facing a near 6 to 1 disadvantage in numbers, including King Tigers, Golubev K.D.'s tankers bravely held the line until they too could take no more, withdrawing at 6pm on the 15th. Close to 4.800 red army personnel was killed in action for fewer than 2.000 of the enemy in this latest bloodbath.
Both sides continued to throw forces into the area. The red army easily evicted the first German Division to occupy Taurage (4) on the 16th, before having to defend Siaulai itself the next day (5).
This defensive succes was then followed up by an overly optimistic attack on Plunge (6). Facing a 3-1 disadvantage, 7 KavD was unable to secure victory, having to pull out on the 20th, three days later, and over 800 bodies lighter.

A probe into Jurbarkas from across the Memel was easily shrugged off on the 10th (2), a second attempt on the 18th was equally unsuccessful.

Hungary13.9452550
Germany137.1553.4670
AXIS151.1003.7220
Soviet Union216.1056.5220
BAL2_42-09-20-min.JPG
AXIS4.437 KIA
Soviet Union0 KIA70372 x La-7 (Ftr)12 x La-7 (Ftr)201 x Yak-4 (Tac)
486 x Il-10 (CAS)
7 x Yak-4 (Tac)
22 x Il-10 (CAS)

LtGenAv. Goryunov's Il-2's bombed Plunge 4 times (battle of Taurage, 14th-15th), before hitting to Taurage 8 times (17th-20th).

Plunge was hit 6 times by I ShAK (17th-19th).

II BAK was active briefly over Pogegen (10th), before flying 10 missions over Rietavas (Battle of Taurage, 11th-15th), and hitting Taurage once. (15th)

3rd Baltic Front (3rd BALT F. / Lithuanian SSR South of the Memel): 2 AG & Arm AG / Moskva HQ:
"Do not be intimidated by their numbers, or the violence of their assault. Once they reach the river, we will blow the krauts out of the water!" - MajGen Romanenko P.L. in Alytus (1) as the battle starts.

With 5 Infantry Divisions bearing down on Alytus (1) from 3 directions, MajGen Romanenko P.L. had reason to be fearful, if it wasn't for the fact he had 7 Divisions to defend the area with, including 2 GvTD and two Tank Divisions. As only one of his Divisions wasn't advancing across the river Memel, Genlt. von Langerman and Erlencamp's offensive quickly started to falter, and at 4pm on the 11th, the area was held. Over 1.900 Germans and close to 550 Soviets had died over the course of 20 hours.
A red army probe into Merech (2) later that evening was quickly called off as the casualty ratio was too high.

Further North, the Red Army was attempting to get across the Memel river. Two probes into Kybartai (3) on the 12th.
Tilsit (4) proved a more promising target. First, MajGen Kurkin's 5 GvTD battled for three whole days, chasing away 169 SD before ultimately withdrawing at 6am on the 15th. Then, MajGen Reiter's 6 TD took on Genlt. von und zu Grote's tired 214 ID, routing the enemy after one day of fighting at 7pm on the 16th.
As 6 TD secured Tilsit, at 11am on the 17th, Genlt. Fischer W.'s 196 ID counter-attacked from Labiau. (5) Over the course of two days, the single-Division attack turned into a three-Division offensive (5 & 6), including 2 sPzD, and by 9pm on the 19th, our Tankers were forced to retreat.
This little back and forth dance resulted in close to 2.000 Soviet and over 1.500 German casualties.

Italy17.50060
Germany135.2803.4690
AXIS152.7803.4750
Soviet Union136.5832.6490
BAL3_42-09-20-min.JPG
Germany1,668 Infrastructure
65.931 t of Supplies
243265 x Me-109 (Int)
93 x FW-190 (Ftr)
86 x Me-109 (Int)
1 x FW-190 (Ftr)
180 x Ju-88 (Tac)39 x Ju-88 (Tac)
AXIS1.349 KIA
Soviet Union0306496 x Yak-7 (Int)
248 x La-7 (Ftr)
88 x Yak-7 (Int)
6 x La-7 (Ftr)
63 x TB-3 (Str)
201 x Yak-4 (Tac)
248 x Il-10 (CAS)
12 x TB-3 (Str)
52 x Yak-4 (Tac)
6 x Il-10 (CAS)

JK I was intercepted twice over Labiau (1&2, 18th) by GenltAv. Eremin's VII IAK. Despite VVS numerical superiority, losses were quite close, about 75 downed Yak-7's for fewer than 90 Me-109G's.

An attempt to bomb our forces in Tilsit (3) was foiled on the 19th. LtGenAv. Eremin's fighters intercepted Genlt. Sperrle's Ju-88's before they could get to their targets.

LtGenAv. Rudenko's IV ShAK flew 2 missions over Mariampolè (Battle of Saldus, 11th), and 4 missions over Tilsit (13th-14th)

Tilsit was hit twice (16th) by the Yak-4's of II BAK, and Labiau 4 times (Battle of Tilsit, 18th-19th).

Logistical bombing resumed as LtGenAv. Kalinin's TB-3's flew 8 missions destroying infrastructure and supply trains in Cranz (17th-20th).

1st Byelorussian Front (1st Byel. F. / Byelorussian SSR Nyoman/Memel bend): 2 AG & Arm AG / Moskva HQ:
"These madmen are unable to recognise their own limitations, the SS think they are superior. They are not afraid to attack four times their own number. They will now face the consequences of their own hubris, and pay the price in blood." MajGen. Zakharov M.V. riling up his troops as they prepare to repell a determined assault by SSD (mot) 'Wiking' in Mosty (1).

Mosty (1) came under attack from SSD (mot) 'Wiking' on the 12th. Up against MajGen. Zakharov M.V.'s three divisions, the fanatics weren't deterred by the odds, only breaking off their advance after MajGen. Romanenko P.L.'s 5 Tank Divisions hit them in Grodno (2) late on the 13th. Eventually, the SS was kicked out, and Grodno was liberated at 9am the next morning.
A small German attack into Grodno (3) was easily shrugged off on the 16th.
Over 1.800 enemy servicemen were killed for barely more than 500 of ours.

An unsuccessful soviet probe into Sokolka (4) was called off on the 17th, and followed up by an enemy probe into Mosty (5), which ended before midnight, in response another probe into Sokolka (4) was launched to be called off after a mere 2 hours. Casualties were negligible.

Germany103.1021.8680
Soviet Union139.8936070
BEL1_42-09-20-min.JPG
AXIS302 KIA0000
Soviet Union0 KIA1124 x La-7 (Ftr)1 x La-7 (Ftr)245 x Il-10 (CAS)0 x Il-10 (CAS)

IV ShAK flew two missions over Grodno (Battle of Mosty, 12th).

2nd Byelorussian Front (2nd Byel. F. / Byelorussian SSR between the Nyoman & Prypyat): 2 AG & Arm AG / Moskva HQ:
"Gentlemen, I'm afraid that this is it. We have given it our all, but after three days, with just my own headquarters division to defend it, the pressure on Zelva has become unbearable. The enemy has broken our lines, and our spirit. We must withdraw now, but we will return." - LtGen. Krasnopevtsev explaining his decision to withdraw his XXX MSK from Zelva (2).

Zelva (2), held by two HQ units and 135 MSD, was attacked by 2 German motorised units at 4pm on the 9th. By 7pm only LtGen Krasnopevtsev's XXX MSK remained as the other units were spent from previous combat. The staff officers, backing up the Motorised riflemen, held off the hun for four days, only breaking at 9pm on the 13th. Over 1.100 of them were killed in action, for fewer than 950 of the enemy.
Two fresh Soviet Divisions easily routed the first exhausted Germans to arrive in Zelva (4) on the 14th.

MajGen Ivanov V.D. managed to clear Domonovo (5) of hostiles in a 10 hour battle on the 14th.
Once his 131 MSD occupied the province at midnight on the 16th, it came under attack (6) from 221 ID. The next morning, the attack was reinforced by two more Divisions (6 & 7), putting the riflemen in a 2.5 to 1 disadvantage. Despite the odds, and thanks to a tactical masterstroke by Ivanov, they held out until 1pm on the 18th.

Starting at 8pm on the 10th Konczyce (1) fell victim to a two-pronged attack. By 8am on the 13th, our defenders had been routed, casualties were roughly even, 650 on either side.
A similar fate befell Janow (3) on the 14th, after a desperate 40-hour battle, adding over 850 casualties to our tally, and fewer than 550 to the enemy's.
87 SD probed Janow (8) on the 20th, but failed to make any headway, or kill more than 2 Germans in 2 hours.

Forces engaged in battle:Forces killed in actionPrisoners of War
Bulgaria17.7943250
Germany112.5242.8570
AXIS130.3183.1820
Soviet Union121.7713.6600
BEL2_42-09-20-min.JPG
Slovakia600095 x A.304 (CAS)20 x A.304 (CAS)
AXIS3.114 KIA0000
Soviet Union0 KIA65496 x Yak-7 (Int)
369 x La-7 (Ftr)
1 x Yak-7 (Int)
14 x La-7 (Ftr)
201 x Yak-4 (Tac)
486 x Il-10 (CAS)
2 x Yak-4 (Tac)
23 x Il-10 (CAS)

The Slovak Air Force made another appearance on the 11th, the 95 A-304's of 1 BombPluk were intercepted over Konczyce by II IAK before they could do any damage on the ground.

LtGenAv. Zhigarev's Il-10's bombed Domonovo 5 times (Battle of Konczyce, 11th-13th), Dywin twice (Battle of Janow, 13th), and Bereza once (Battle of Janow, 14th).

V ShAK concentrated on Wolkowysk, hitting the area 6 times (Battle of Zelva, 11th-13th)

6 missions were flown over Swislocz (Battle of Domonovo, 16th-18th) by LtGenAv. Rudenko's IV ShAK.

The Yak-4's of LtGenAv. Golovanov's I BAK flew 3 missions over Bereza (Battle of Janow & Domonovo, 13th, 14th, 17th), and a single mission over Janow (17th)

1st Ukrainian Front (1st Ukr. F. / Ukrainian SSR between the Prypyat & Western Bug): 3 AG & Arm AG / Brjansk HQ:
"We'll make them regret they ever set foot on the Eastern bank of the Bug, make them swim for their lives!" - MajGen. Ptuhin as he launches his attack on Luboml (6)

Kowel (1) was lost at 1pm on the 13th, after nearly three days of fighting, over 900 casualties were suffered, for fewer than 650 inflicted.
A brief red army probe into the province (2) on the 15th showed it to be strongly held.
The open plains of Switaz (3) proved an easier target as our IS-2's made short work of the Italian Mountaineers holding the area.
13 ID (mot) did somewhat slow our Guards riflemen down by starting round two as it arrived in Switaz (3) on the 16th. But by 4am the next day, it was all over for the Germans.
An ill-fated German probe into Rozyszcze (4) on the 17th, further delayed 14 TTGvD's advance.
Kamien Koszyrski became the target of a three-pronged German offensive (7) at 3pm on the 17th. As luck would have it, two of the prongs had to get over the river Pripyat, and the area was held by three Divisions under MajGen Missan, including 3 TTGvD. Things got a little bit tense the next day when 109 MSD withdrew at 10am, but then 9 ID broke off it's attack 5 hours later. The rest of the battle was bloody but uneventful, until Genlt. Kämpfe finally halted the offensive at 9am on the 20th. The Wehrmacht lost over 2.000 personnel for fewer than 850 of the red army.

A three-division 2-pronged attack on Luboml (6) was launched by MajGen. Ptuhin early on the 18th. His forces faced 2 German Infantry units under the command of Slovakian DivGen. (MajGen/LtGen) Blaha. It took 36 hours for our forces to rout the enemy, Slovak commander or not. Casualties were very one-sided with fewer than 750 Soviet casualties for over 1.450 German ones. The province hasn't been occupied yet.
49 SD's probing attack on Zamosc (5) on the 17th turned into an all out attack as the 4 enemy divisions were found to be exhausted and demoralised, resulting in their defeat by 5pm.
Italy8.9941690
Bulgaria15.4501940
Germany89.8004.3880
AXIS114.2444.7510
Soviet Union142.1772.8100
UKR1_42-09-20-min.JPG
Hungary10800179 x Ju-86 (Tac)54 x Ju-86 (Tac)
AXIS1.773 KIA0
Soviet Union0 KIA7372 x Yak-7 (Int)
370 x La-7 (Ftr)
4 x Yak-7 (Int)
1 x La-7 (Ftr)
201 x Yak-4 (Tac)
491 x Il-10 (CAS)
0 x Yak-4 (Tac)
1 x Il-10 (CAS)
Genlt. Rapaich's Ju-86's were intercepted, before reaching their targets, by LtGenAv. Rychagov's Ya-7's over Kamien Koszyrski. (18th)

IV ShAK flew 4 missions over Switaz (15th, 19th, 20th)

The Il-10's of MarshallAv. Novikov's II ShAK flew 2 missions over Luboml, and one over Switaz, all on the 18th.

LtGenAv. Golovanov's Yak-4's hit Switaz a further 5 times (11th-13th)

2nd Ukrainian Front (2nd Ukr. F. / Ukrainian SSR between the Western Bug & Dniestr): 3 AG / Brjansk HQ:
Krasne (1) was liberated at 2am on the 11th, after two days and three nights, at the cost of fewer than 220 soviet and over 660 hungarian casualties.
MajGen Nikishin took Zolkiew (5) at 8pm on the 14th, with a successful two-pronged three-division attack that lasted 19 hours. Bulgarian forces suffered heavily, leaving over 1.000 dead men behind, having killed fewer than 150 of ours.

MajGen. Raus's infantry division charged into Przemysl (2) at 3pm on the 9th. Our riflemen were already exhausted from previous combat and after 2 days and over 450 losses they were forced to withdraw.
As soon as 60 ID arrived in Przemysl at 3pm on the 11th, they were hit (3) by MajGen. Panfilov's two divisions. Two days later, they were routed. However, before 139 SD, and 10 TTGvD could occupy the area, 19 ID arrived, triggering an 18-hour follow-up battle (3) that ended at 6pm on the 14th. Over 940 enemy combattants were killed, for fewer than 170 of our own.

Jaroslaw was 3rd Army Group's next target. Three divisions attacked 16-ta PD across the San river in a pincer movement (6), and at 7am on the 17th, after just 48 hours, the Bulgarians were routed.

A brief Hungarian probe into Turka (4) on the 13th was called off as soon as the bullets started flying. Another German probe into Sanok (7) on the 19th didn't make any more headway.

Hungary5.968430
Bulgaria35.0402.3100
Germany30.0931.3900
AXIS71.1013.7430
Soviet Union153.2811.2380
UKR2_42-09-20-min.JPG
Hungary28370 x CR.42 (Int)28 x CR.42 (Int)00
AXIS1.939 KIA28
Soviet Union0 KIA80372 x Yak-7 (Int)
495 x La-7 (Ftr)
0 x Yak-7 (Int)
18 x La-7 (Ftr)
201 x Yak-4 (Tac)
741 x Il-10 (CAS)
13 x Yak-4 (Tac)
18 x Il-10 (CAS)

LtGenAv. Zhigarev's Il-10's flew a single mission over Gorlice on the 10th, having recieved the wrong orders.

II ShAK bombed Rawa Ruska twice (Battle of Przemysl, 11th), returning a few days later to hit Debica 4 times (Battle of Sanok, 19th-20th)

Humenne was hit once on the 10th by LtGenAv. Kutakhov's III ShAK. His bombers later retrurned to bomb Jaroslaw twice (14th).

LtGenAv. Golovanov's I BAK followed up with another 4 missions over Jaroslaw (15th, 16th).
On the 16th, Golovanov's Yak-4's were intercepted over their target by Genlt. Rakosi's CR.32 biplanes. IV IAK was quick to intervene, downing 28 enemy planes, but they could not prevent the loss of 10 La-7's and 11 Yak-4's.

3rd Ukrainian Front (3rd UF. / Hungarian Border West of Skole) 3 AG & 4 AG / Odessa HQ:
36 ID (mot) arrived in Uzhorod at 1am on the 12th, cutting off the retreat of 180 SD. This resulted in the surrender of the entire rifle division, 10.704 men in total.
As soon as it had caught up with 36 ID (mot), 8 PzD charged into Drhohobycz (1) at 7am on the 12th, hoping to maintain the initiative. On the 14th, just as 56 SD was starting to falter, 183 SD charged into Uzhorod (2), flanking Kirchner's Pz.IV's, forcing him to halt his offensive at 9pm, and forcing close to 40.000 disorganised Axis troops out of the province 2 hours later. By 4am the next morning, 8 PzD could take no more.
Casualties were close, as the Comintern lost fewer 700 men and the Axis close to 750.
On the morning of 15th, 8 PzD managed to put together a second line of resistance, and another battle broke out over Uzhorod (2). 183 SD emerged victorious once again the next morning.
Then, two days later 27 Gly retreated into the path of what had now become three rifle divisions under MajGen Erastov. After a further 24 hours of combat, the Hungarians were thoroughly routed, and Uzhorod (2) was finally ours.
The two follow-up battles cost fewer than 350 Soviet lives for over 350 German, and close to 800 Hungarian ones.

Svalava (3) was attacked at 1pm on the 11th by MajGen Ermakov's rifle division. The battle lasted exactly four days before both of Genmaj. Stomm's divisions were routed.
A disorganised 27 Gly arrived before the province could be occupied, but was quickly brushed aside. Close to 900 Hungarians were KIA for just over 500 Soviets.

Hungary30.1021.6910
Germany61.1201.1040
AXIS91.2222.7950
Soviet Union87.0851.54010.704
UKR3_42-09-20-min.JPG
Hungary3,374 Infrastructure
205.829 t of Supplies
5.489 m^3 of Fuel
1000095 x Ju-87 (CAS)
70 x Ju-86 (Tac)
23 x Ju-87 (CAS)
27 x Ju-86 (Tac)
AXIS2.999 KIA100
Soviet Union0 KIA122372 x Yak-7 (Int)
248 x La-7 (Ftr)
1 x Yak-7 (Int)
17 x La-7 (Ftr)
81 x TB-3 (Str)
495 x Il-10 (CAS)
3 x TB-3 (Str)
40 x Il-10 (CAS)

The Yak-7's of IV IAK intercepted Genmaj. Hellebronth's Ju-86's over Drohobycz (1), onf the 13th, forcing them to drop their bombs far from their targets, and downing 27 enemy aircraft.

I ZbO, made up of Ju-87's, was intercepted over Sambor (2) before it could reach it's targets by LtGenAv. Rychagov's IV IAK on the 19th.

LtGenAv. Kutakhov's III ShAK flew 6 missions over Svalava (11th-14th), followed by 2 over Uzhorod (15th), and 4 over Mukacevo (19th-20th).

The Il-10's of II ShAK bombed Uzhorod 6 times (Battle of Drohobycz, 12th-14th), and Svalava twice (15th).

2 DBAD flew 12 Logistical Strikes over Sop (11th-19th). The province was recently identified as a chokepoint for Supplies going to the Hungarian Front line units.

4th Ukrainian Front (4th Ukr. F. / Hungarian Border East of Dolina) 3 AG & 4 AG / Odessa HQ:
Two divisions charged into Volove, they found it was held by a single disorganised Hungarian Division, and promptly evicted it.
Hungary5.996160
Soviet Union21.99150
UKR4_42-09-20-min.JPG

Black Sea Fleet (Black Sea, Aegean Sea & Mediterranean Sea) BSF / Odessa HQ:
MED_42-09-20-min.jpg
Bulgaria27102 x He-51 (Int)27 x He-51 (Int)00
Soviet Union0 KIA9128 x La-7VM (CAG)3 x La-7VM (CAG)128 x Il-10VM (CAG)3 x Il-10VM (CAG)
The Bulgarian Heinkel bi-planes made a return, attempting to disrupt I Avianosets' air patrols over the Northern Aegean. It wasn't long before every available La-7VM was sent up, and Genmai. Ayrjanov's fighters quickly dispersed. 6 of our Carrier-based fighter were lost, as 27 enemy planes were shot down.

Totals losses:
Last 10 daysEngaged in BattleKilled in battleKilled by bombsAir Crew KIAKIA at seaTotal KIAPrisoners of War
Slovakia00/600600
Bulgaria88.2753.853/2703.8800
Hungary56.0112.005/23602.2410
Italy55.4761.200/001.2000
Germany856.25024.620/74119925.5607.192
AXIS1.056.01231.67819.0871.06419952.0287.192
Soviet Union1.379.60723.851157925024.93310.704
OV_42-09-20.png
GPW (90 days)Engaged in BattleKilled in battleKilled by bombsAir Crew KIAKIA at seaTotal KIAPrisoners of War
Slovakia43.8392.912/26903.1810
Bulgaria329.46411.993/6031012.3630
Hungary2.061.63732.531/1.228033.7590
Italy171.3606.090/5731.0037.6660
Germany6.274.809203.415/7.0787.257217.75025.486
AXIS8.886.093256.941132.9349.2068.570407.65625.486
Soviet Union11.513.546212.5782.4215.6631.267222.99068.482

Aeroplane losses:
GPW (80 days)FightersSmall BombersMedium BombersLarge BombersTransports
Slovakia/89 x A.304///
Bulgaria60 x He-51B////
Hungary252 x CR.32/CR.42272 x Ju-87B-2389 x Ju-86K-2//
Italy//53 x SM.79-III
41 x CZ.1007bis
/11 x SM.75bis
Germany1.053 x FW-190A-3
861 x Me-109G-5
159 x Hs-129B-21.237 x Ju-88A-461 x Ju-2908 x Me-232D-1
AXIS1.173 x Int, 1.053 x Ftr520 x CAS1.667 x Tac, 53 x Nav61 x Nav19 x Tra
Soviet Union1.082 x Yak-7
993 x La-7
254 x La-7VM
1.056 x Il-10
254 x Il-10VM
513 x Yak-472 x TB-347 x Li-2
Things calmed down a little during this 10-day period. Despite some minor setbacks, our situation has improved.
Southern Norway is our campaign to lose, as only Kristiansand remains in enemy hands. 2 more Mountain Rifle Divisions are on their way to Oslo, after which we should be able to encircle 5 enemy divisions. It now looks very likely that we will reach our objective of eliminating Axis forces in the South before the German Northern force can interfere. Once the Southern force is contained, the next phase will be to take Narvik to cut off the supply lines to the Northern force as well.
Riga was isolated from the rest of the German front, but further to the south, the drive to the Baltic Coast has not only stalled, but been pushed back, at great cost to both sides. Logistical bombing has been restarted in an attempt to cause supply issues for the Axis in the Baltics.
In the South, the logistical bombing campaign over Sop has proved even more successful than anticipated. Supply shortages, combined with the beating they took in the beginning of the month, are starting to show as Hungarian forces are weak and disorganised. It is hoped 4ya Armiya will be able to recuperate more quickly, and take even more ground, eventually shortening the Hungarian part of the front (3rd and 4th Ukrainian Front). The only real setback in Hungary was the loss of a Division, but that was the consequence of previous action, and not representative of the situation of the last ten days.

As always, your input is valued,

Greetings,

'Odin'

• 2Like
Reactions:
the killer used the murder weapon, a small dagger, to pin a note to his chest. It said:"Nice try, Yvonne."
Truly a mystery. Off the top of my head, was Yvonne perhaps the name 11 used during her first adventure with the French?
but opened up the opportunity to take Oslo unopposed, an opportunity that was pounced on by the VDV, which landed in the city at 5am that same day.
Was that the AI using some initiative or do you run amphibious ops? Or is the VDV a paratroop outfit?
They will now face the consequences of their own hubris, and pay the price in blood.
And May the SS fanatics pay a high one, as ever. Vur ha ... er, Huzzah! Ourah!
The enemy has broken our lines, and our spirit. We must withdraw now, but we will return." - LtGen. Krasnopevtsev explaining his decision to withdraw his XXX MSK from Zelva (2).
Uh oh, these words may land the general in hot water (or a cold grave) if (when) Stalin hears about it from one of the Commissars. :eek:
Two fresh Soviet Divisions easily routed the first exhausted Germans to arrive in Zelva (4) on the 14th.
Even if the situation was soon retrieved.
Totals losses:
Last 10 days
Engaged in BattleKilled in battleKilled by bombsAir Crew KIAKIA at seaTotal KIAPrisoners of WarSlovakia00/600600Bulgaria88.2753.853/2703.8800Hungary56.0112.005/23602.2410Italy55.4761.200/001.2000Germany856.25024.620/74119925.5607.192AXIS1.056.01231.67819.0871.06419952.0287.192Soviet Union1.379.60723.851157925024.93310.704
Generally another successful interlude, with more casualties the Axis swine can’t afford.
the drive to the Baltic Coast has not only stalled, but been pushed back, at great cost to both sides.
It always seems to be fiercely contested by the Germans, whichever game universe you are in. ;)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yes. The diplo screen usually labels that “Impossible” and all you do is waste a diplomatic team if you try it.
Indeed. It is 'impossible' for the Soviet Union to get transit rights to British territory.

1. it would be well ventilated.
Per the several nurses and other medical professionals I've dated, that's a perfect way to maintain a perfect record for safety: people aren't dead until they're warm and dead.
I think there is such a thing as too much ventilation, and frostbite and hypothermia are real issues, even if medical professionals might prefer to heat up the bodies before declaring them dead... Then again, it's nothing a bottle of vodka can't fix, right?

Truly a mystery. Off the top of my head, was Yvonne perhaps the name 11 used during her first adventure with the French?
That's a bingo!

Was that the AI using some initiative or do you run amphibious ops? Or is the VDV a paratroop outfit?
The VDV are the legendary Soviet Airborne forces first founded in the late 1930s. They started out as purely Paratroopers in ww2, but today they are a whole separate branch of Russian Armed forces, a bit like the USMC in a way, except that they are meant to be rapidly deployable by air instead of by sea. As for the landing in Oslo, the VDV is under human control, so all the airborne operations were planned and triggered by yours truly. (for the sake of realism, I didn't send in the paratroopers as soon as I noticed the city had been deserted, but only once the Oslo Garrison had shown up on the front) There was also an unopposed amphibious landing by Mountain Riflemen to the north of Stavanger, to cut off the escape of two Divisions between the landing area and Stavanger, as the regular Rifle Division that was making it's way there overland from Bergen got stuck in the mountains for a week.

Uh oh, these words may land the general in hot water (or a cold grave) if (when) Stalin hears about it from one of the Commissars. :eek:
Even if the situation was soon retrieved.
In some areas the situation on the front is dire, with a lot of exhausted troops and few reserves, but those are local disadvantages which could well feel overwhelming for local commanders. I'm sure the part about losing their spirit will not be in the official report. It's still one hell of a risk, though the retrieval of the situation surely helps to potentially sweep this lapse under the rug.

Don't forget to vote in The 2020 Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds and the Q4 2020 ACAs. I will be doing so in the next few days.

OOC: I finally got back to HOI3, with the exams, and especially this semester's project over. Here in Belgium we're stuck in a lockdown-light ever since the second wave started. Despite the rules in place, there was still a smaller third wave due to a significant fraction of the population ignoring the rules to celebrate Christmas with the family, or New year's with friends, or both. Some even found it wise to go on a, barely legal, skiing holiday. We're getting the first cases of the more contagious so-called 'English' variant of the virus, and the vaccination campaign is a big shambles as European Pharmaceutical companies haven't been able to deliver the number of doses they promised, making the European Union plan to share the vaccines equitably across the member states quite dead on arrival. Of course, in Belgium, the planning of the vaccination campaign has been poor to say the least. Especially as we had a change of government just a few months before the arrival of the first vaccines. I hope you are all in good health, and that 2021 may be better than 2020.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Large-scale Amphibious operations being a new concept in the Soviet Union, I didn't expect anything near a British level of proficiency, but what I saw was truly horrifying.

While the Brits may be doing swimmingly in this universe, in ours in Sept. 1942 the memory of Gallipoli, Narvik, and Dieppe would not have exactly caused people to associate the British with proficiency in amphib operations.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally caught up! Whew. Quite the few weeks for the Red Army. Norway has me feeling positive, both due to the seemingly imminent destruction of several German divisions and because it frees up troops for the strategic reserve. And, of course, it frees up the marines and VDV! Perhaps a strike into Denmark is next in the cards, or raiding attacks on the German northern coast? Cutting off the Axis troops in Denmark and moving the main line of resistance there from the Danish isles to the Kiel canal would really cause panic in the OKW, but then again, taking ground on the Baltic coast only to destroy infrastructure and industry and withdraw before German forces can be brought to bear would make the supply situation very chaotic indeed, and force the Germans to devote significant troops to garrisoning the area.

Riga being isolated is perhaps the best news in the last report. That looks like a heavy Panzer division we caught, too! Now if only the generals will see the urgency of the situation and crush the encircled units at any cost... Really, the northern and southern ends of the front seem to be doing okay-ish, but the center, particularly to the west of Pripyat marshes, seems to be slowly folding. Of course, assuming the Hungarians can be dealt a coup de grace, and the Baltic 1st front continues the stellar progress from the last update, that frees up units to shore up the center - or pressure the flanks of the overstretched German salient.

Reactions:
While the Brits may be doing swimmingly in this universe, in ours in Sept. 1942 the memory of Gallipoli, Narvik, and Dieppe would not have exactly caused people to associate the British with proficiency in amphib operations.
In this universe the problem for the British isn't the amphibious operation itself, but the availability/delivery of troops to reinforce the beachhead and actually take advantage of successful landings, not even weeks after they occured. Historically, the Brits were at the forefront of the development of amphibious assault landing tactics in the inter-war years, partly due to the fiasco in Galipoli. They even held massive amphib exercises in India in the 30s. Of course in ww2, some mistakes were made and what they had developed in peacetime, even with extensive exercises, had to be adapted and improved, hence Narvik and Dieppe, neither of which was anywhere near as catastrophic a fiasco as Galipoli.

Quite the few weeks for the Red Army. Norway has me feeling positive, both due to the seemingly imminent destruction of several German divisions and because it frees up troops for the strategic reserve. And, of course, it frees up the marines and VDV! Perhaps a strike into Denmark is next in the cards, or raiding attacks on the German northern coast? Cutting off the Axis troops in Denmark and moving the main line of resistance there from the Danish isles to the Kiel canal would really cause panic in the OKW, but then again, taking ground on the Baltic coast only to destroy infrastructure and industry and withdraw before German forces can be brought to bear would make the supply situation very chaotic indeed, and force the Germans to devote significant troops to garrisoning the area.
Norway is looking good, but it will still take a lot of time to secure all of it, partly because the weather is terrible, but also because even after eliminating 6 Divisions in the South, the Germans still have 5 Divisions up north, (2 H Arm, 2 Arm, and 1 Mtn), which even as they are likely mostly out of supplies and fuel, still have to be dealt with. There is also another frustrating issue that has appeared, but more on that in the next GPW updates.

As for the post-Norway operations. Most of the troops in Norway are still going to be tied up for months. However, the need for urgent seaborne transport around Norway will be largely reduced as our forces there spend time mopping up and dealing with small enemy remnants. The VDV can probably be spared sooner, but they are also easily transportable by air. All of our Northern reserves are needed on the main front, either to press home the fight in the Baltics or hold the line in the centre. The Wehrmacht has been pouring a lot of heavy troops into the area north or the Marshes, while to the South things are a bit less hectic of late.

The next target will most likely be the Balkans, by the end of 1942, start of 1943. The reasons for this are multiple:
1. This already was the plan from the very start of the war, to hit the Axis' soft underbelly and take over some prime Mediterranean real estate in the process.
2. The UK clearly has a serious interest in the region as they prioritised landing a Royal Marines Division in Athens over reinforcing Singapore, and this after an earlier landing failed completely. (see 'Odinatsat's story) This means that we might be in a race with them to see who liberates more of the Balkans.
3. More and more Bulgarian and Italian troops have been showing up on the main front. This means that a large scale amphibious operation that lands Mountaineers and Motorised troops in the second wave could likely knock out Bulgaria before sufficient Axis reinforcements arrive to hold a Balkan front. (All of the VP's Bulgaria holds are within 4 provinces of either a Black Sea port or a Mediterranean Port (Salonica), 3 out of 4 will secure a surrender.)
4. Also knocking out Hungary would cut the Axis off from Romanian oil supplies. That means that they would have to do without Swedish Steel and without Romanian Oil.
5. A Balkan front will draw Axis troops South, making them more vulnerable to a later Northern operation in the Baltic, once our troops in Norway and our naval transports have been freed up.
6. By hitting the Axis in the North (Amoured push in the Baltics and Copenhagen/Norway), then in the South (Balkans), then again in the North (Denmark/North-German Coast), we make them move large amounts of troops up and down the continent, which not only costs them precious fuel, but also means we're not fighting the units that are in transit.

The draft proposal for a Balkan landing is to use a corps of Marines (in training, to be delivered at the end of 1942), and the VDV (2 Divisions) to secure Salonica and Varna. This is then followed by a Motorised Corps (in training, to be delivered late in 1942, early 1943), and a corps of Mountain Riflemen (already in the area on the Turkish border) with the aim of taking the major Bulgarian cities as quickly as possible. A Rifle corps is also available to be brought in later, and a second could be taken of the Romanian border.
Obviously there are still a few months before the units required are deployed, and if we can free up the transports in time, we could take the Italian-held islands of Dodecanesso and Rhodi, using the Mountaineers, before the big operation is launched, giving us off-shore Air Bases and depriving the Regia Aeronatica these same bases from which they could disrupt our operation. Maybe even Italian-occupied Cyprus and Crete are on the menu if we extricate the VDV soon enough.

Riga being isolated is perhaps the best news in the last report. That looks like a heavy Panzer division we caught, too! Now if only the generals will see the urgency of the situation and crush the encircled units at any cost... Really, the northern and southern ends of the front seem to be doing okay-ish, but the center, particularly to the west of Pripyat marshes, seems to be slowly folding. Of course, assuming the Hungarians can be dealt a coup de grace, and the Baltic 1st front continues the stellar progress from the last update, that frees up units to shore up the center - or pressure the flanks of the overstretched German salient.
Indeed, there's a trapped Heavy Panzer Division, 1 sPzD to be precise. If we take it down, the Red Army will soon have parity in Heavy Tanks on the main front. (4 Divisions on each side, not counting Norway). Once the Baltics are recovered, there will have to be a rebalancing of the main front. 2 AG's area of operations will have to be shifted south to free up 11ya Mot Armiya for the next offensive operation, wherever that may be. It's difficult to gauge when this will occur, and how many enemy troops could potentially be captured. Progress in the Baltics seems to be slow but positive. It could take a while, there's an awful lot of grinding battles and back-and-forth's going on. With the AI it could, of course, always go wrong.

There will be an update tomorrow.

Hope you're all staying safe in these crazy times.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In this universe the problem for the British isn't the amphibious operation itself, but the availability/delivery of troops to reinforce the beachhead and actually take advantage of successful landings, not even weeks after they occured. Historically, the Brits were at the forefront of the development of amphibious assault landing tactics in the inter-war years, partly due to the fiasco in Galipoli. They even held massive amphib exercises in India in the 30s. Of course in ww2, some mistakes were made and what they had developed in peacetime, even with extensive exercises, had to be adapted and improved, hence Narvik and Dieppe, neither of which was anywhere near as catastrophic a fiasco as Galipoli.

True enough - and in fairness it should be noted that the very next month, substantial evidence that both British and Americans had profited from the lessons above presented itself in North Africa.

Reactions:
26th of September 1942, 'Odin', 10-day report #209
The 26th of September 1942, Vologda, 1,1°C, 10 am Moscow Time,

Report on the state of the Soviet Union for the ten-day period between the 17th and the 26th of September 1942,

by 'Odin'

Army:
52. DOp, 37. DOp, and 3. DOp (Garx3), have been reinforced with an Artillery Regiment (122mm & 152mm) and an Anti-Tank Regiment (76mm & 100mm) each.
2 more Artillery Regiments have been delivered, one to 18 GarD, and one to 88 SD, II SK, 1ya Armiya, Reserves AG, STAVKA.
A Brigade of Infx2, AT has been delivered to the re-established HQ of VIII SK, 6ya Armiya, 2nd AG, STAVKA.
2. NKGBF Mitrochevskaya Brigada (Gar, Pol), another peace-keeping brigade has been deployed to Kuopio.

Army numbers (Brigades/Personnel) Reserves included (these numbers don't include regiments being upgraded):
Front line troops: 711 / 2.133.000
Support troops: 381 / 381.000
Total fighting troops: 1.092 / 2.514.000
Headquarters: 65 / 65.000
Total Army Personnel: 1.157 / 2.579.000
Officers: 107.863 + / 113.820 needed / 0 POW / 164 KIA / 94,766 % -
Active Leaders: 293 / 2 POW / 203 more available
With the demand for upgrades dropping sharply, and a slight increase in lend-Lease, a lot of new units have started training.
After 180 SD was forced to surrender in Hungary, another Diviziya Opolcheniya has been ordered to replace it. Both the front line people's militia (Garx3), and the support regiments (Art, AT) have started training.
3 existing Opolcheniye Divisions have started the process of retraining their People's Militia into regular Riflemen. 3 DOp, 37 DOp, and 52 DOp, all retain one full strenght People's Militia Regiment along with their support units, while the other 2 Regiments are retraining. In a second phase, their third Regiment will be retrained and re-equipped, before they will be recommissioned as fully fledged Rifle Divisions.
2 more Peacekeeping Brigades (Gar, Pol) have started training. They will eventually be deployed to Finland or Norway.
Garrison Brigades (Garx2) and Garrison Divisions (Garx3, Art) are also in high demand to protect Naval Bases in Norway. 2 Brigades and 2 Divisions have started training, the Artillery Regiments will take a little longer.
A 5th Naval Infantry Brigade (Marx2) has started training. It will probably come too late for the initial landings of our Balkans operation.
A 5th Light Motorised Division (Motx2, SP Art) has started training as it's American vehicles have started arriving.
With our Rifle Divisions on the Romanian border still without Artillery Regiments, another regiment-sized batch of 122mm and 152mm guns was ordered.
Army Leadership:
A newly commissioned Major of State Security Rafaelyants (SK1, Cdo) was placed in charge of 2. NKGBFMB (Gar, Pol).

Air Force:
124 new Lavochkin La-7's have been delivered to form 148 IAD-PVO, which will be part of VIII IAK-PVO (D), our long range Fighter Aviation Corps.
The Navy Air Fleet has deployed 9 KPA (CAG), counting 64 La-7VM's and 64 Il-10VM's, to Leningrad.
Aeroplane Numbers (Wings/Planes):​
Interceptors: 29 / 3.596
Multi-Role Fighters: 11 / 1.364
Close Air Support: 11 / 1.364
Carrier Air Groups: 9/ 576
Single Engined: 60 / 6.900
Tactical Bomber: 4 / 404
Strategic Bombers: 2 / 162
Total Bombers: 17 / 1.926
Transport Planes: 3 / 372
Total VVS: 59 / 7.262
Total Navy: 9 / 576
Total Aeroplanes: 69 / 7.838
Active Leaders: 26 / 24 Reserve
The republic of Tannu Tuva has sent over technicians, blueprints, and engineers for the license production of a Bomber Aviation Regiment consisting of 101 Tannu Tuvan Tupolev SB-2's (Tac). This should allow our aviation factories to get back up to speed, where the mass production of twin-engined aeroplanes is concerned, with a simpler design than the Yak-4. The planes will eventually be used for bombing missions in remote theatres where modern Tactical Bombers would be overkill. This is necessary as few twin engine planes have been produced in the USSR since 1936, and no improvements have been made to existing models since early 1940.
Production of La-7's continues towards the formation of 81 IAD-PVO (Ftr).
VMF Leadership:
Newly promoted Captain 2nd Class Smirnov SK1, FD has been placed in command of 9 KPA.

Navy:
Investment in the Red Navy also took a step up. (see next post on the Red Navy)
Escort Carrier Kharkov was laid down in Sevastopol, it will be the first ship of a new class.
Right next to the Kharkov, a new type of heavy cruiser was laid down. Kirov is the first ship of the new Kirov-class.
A new flotilla of Sevastopol-class Destroyers has been laid down in Leningrad. 13. Flotiliya Esmintsev will join the Red Banner Baltic Fleet upon completion, replacing 1. Flotiliya Esmintsev, which was sunk yesterday.

Politics / International:
The USA stopped influencing Sweden towards the Allies, clearly the State Department has a short attention span, which is great news for our own long term plans.
Battle of Britain:
RAF fighter command intercepted 41 bombing attempts over Portsmouth, of which only 14 managed to drop any ordinance on target.
Leipzig was bombed a total of 9 times, and the Halifaxes were intercepted 5 times over Dortmund, and 11 times over Leipzig.
Aerial battles over France increased further, being fought over Paris (43), Montargis (28), Nantes (28), Lannion (12), Autun (11), Cambrai (8), and Cherbourg (4).
Battle of the Atlantic:
218 Axis convoys were sunk, for 88 Allied ones.
France:
FRA_42-09-26-min.jpeg
The Germans continue their game of whack a mole to root out US-sponsored insurgents. After rooting out the previous two uprising, they are now finishing up rooting out another one in Cambrai, having bombed the rebels 8 times.
Yugoslavia
YUG_42-09-26-min.jpeg
Another US-sponsored uprising in Bosanski-Brod provides a nice head-ache for the Axis occupiers, having just rooted out another one in Zvornik, closer to Beograd. Another home-grown uprising, supported by the Yugoslav government in exile, sprung up in Nevesinje, to the north of Ljubinje and Dubrovnik.
Athens - Greece:
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 4,9 / 87,0 =​
Italy (Surrender Progress / NU): 5,9 / 79,2 =​
GRF_42-09-26-min.jpeg
A Royal Marines Division has reinforced the British motorised Division in Athina, and taken Chalkida to it's North-East. As the Italians seem to have pulled back their forces in response to a total of 12 RAF ground attacks, the British are likely to start taking more Greek territory before they reach any real resistance. 7 aerial battles were fought over Athina.
A single attempt by the Regia Aeronautica to intercept the bombers over Athina and it's heavy AA emplacements did little to dissuade the RAF.
North Africa Front:
BNAF_42-09-26-min.jpeg
The Italians have started pushing Eastwards again, taking Ra's at Tin without firing a shot. FOr once, the Italians seem to be having the advantage in fuel and supplies as the British still aren't shipping supplies into Tobruch, and the infrastructure to it's east is heavily damaged. Our sources in the British embassy are suggesting that Tobruch will be lost if the Italians can maintain their troops supplied.
After returning to Malta, RN 'Coastal Naval Command's Bristol Brigands bombed Sousse 18 times, and Tunis 10 times.
Two wings of Wellington Mk.III's were rebased to Athina, subsequently flying 11 missions over Sofiya, being intercepted 28 times on the way there and back.
The Halifaxes continued their attacks on Pécs in Hungary, bombing the area 7 times in total, getting intercepted over the target each and every time, after dropping their bombs. Moreover, they were intercepted 21 times on their way there and back.
The Royal Navy managed to sink 209 Italian convoys, without managing to actually strangle the Regia Marina's supply lines to North-Africa.
Indian Ocean:
It looks like Axis trade has gone global again, with 86 Axis convoys sunk in the Indian Ocean. Japanese forays into the area sunk 21 Allied Convoys.
South East Asia:
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 8,5 / 84,9 - (likely foreign spies)
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 4,9 / 87,0 =
Japan (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,00 / 70,1
Netherlands, France (Government in Exile)
Indonesian Front:
SEAF_42-09-26_2-min.jpeg
A single Japanese Division continues it's slow meandering march across Java, taking the province of Pamanukan on the Northern coast of the island. Despite the total lack of allied armed resistance, Soerabaja is still months away, though the Industry and coal mines of Tjilatjap will likely be lost within the next two weeks.
Malay Front:
SEAF_42-09-26-min.jpeg
With the Jungle, and 16 RAF bombing runs, slowing them down, the Japanese forces here are yet to reach Singapore, though they have moved closer by another 50m. Our analysts believe singapore has less than two weeks left in British hands. A neutral Siam remains a helpful barrier, preventing the IJA from simply walking into Burma.
39 Naval strikes over the Singapore Strait also amounted to little, with no Japanese or British naval units being lost. Convoy raiding intensified, but remained in favour of the Allies, with 222 Axis merchant vessels sunk for 140 Allied ones.
Pacific Front:
For a loss of 150 Allied traders, 244 Axis ships were sunk.
A naval battle off the coast of Johnston Island (currently controlled by the Japanese), resulted in the Air Wing of Light Carrier Chiyoda sinking the USN's 13th Destroyer Division, which consisted of 5 Clemson-class ships. This was likely a reaction by the IJN to USN CAG's bombing their SNLF on the island no less than 16 times.
Clemson-min.jpg
The USN Clemson-Class of destroyers was developed during the tail end of the Great War, with the first ships entering service in 1919. Over 100 of the 1.215 tonne vessels have been built since. Four single mounted 4"/50 (102 mm) guns compose their main armament, and originally, a single 3"/23 (76 mm) AA Gun was supposed to scare away aircraft. The Clemson-class more than makes up for it's lack of gunpower with four triple 21" (533 mm) torpedo launchers. A top speed of over 15 knots is achieved thanks to 2 geared turbines and four saturated steam boilers putting out 27.600 hp. Compared to their successors the Clemson-class are true torpedo boats, just like the Wickes-class that preceeded them. They're also getting a bit long in the tooth for the main fleet, though they can still be a formidable anti-submarine vessel when fitted with additional depth charges and sonar.

Industry:
237 + / 432 + / 572 + (base IC / domestic IC / toral available IC incl. LL)​
Oslo's Factories (7 IC) have started churning out supplies for the Red Army and Navy. Lend-lease aid increased slightly to 139 IC/day over the last 10 days for a total of 1.386 ICdays, or 24% of total production.
IC Usage: ( Allocated IC / Need )​
Upgrades: 54,70 / 54,8 - The amount of units waiting for upgrades was significantly reduced, to 173.
Reinforcement: 32,7 / 32,76 - The need for reinforcements varies wildly but remains over 20 IC.
Supplies: 70,00 / 59,48 = The supply stockpile has remained stable and there were no major supply issues, so the production and purchase of supplies has remained constant.
Production: 380,20 / 382,64 - New units have started training and a large investment in new ships have made the IC allocated to production shoot up.
Consumer Goods: 34,32 / 34,32 +
Stockpiles:​
Energy: Maximum tonnes +​
Metal: 97.479 tonnes -​
Rares: 49.176 tonnes +​
Crude: 95.593 cubic metres +​
Supplies: 39.862 tonnes +​
Fuel: Maximum barrels +​
Money: 1.352 - A license for Tupolev SB-2's was purchased form Tannu Tuva.

Intelligence:
Spy numbers, spies in (active / added / lost / caught by us)​
France (Supporting our Party / Covert Operations): 5 / 0 / 0 / 0​
Sweden (Support our Party): 10 / 0 / 0 / 0
{ Germany (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
{ Japan (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
{ UK (/) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
Other: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Total: 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
Reserves: 1​
Spy training leadership expenditure: 0,8 - (a new spy every 8 days)​
Today, 10 spies have been infiltrated into Sweden, some disguised as diplomats, and others, sneaking across the Norwegian or Finnish borders. Their job is to spread the good word about Stalinist Socialism, and a potential alliance to the Comintern.

Research:
The VVS's theorists delivered new and improved Fighter Ground Crew Training (Level 5) procedures, the higher proficiency of their mechanics will improve the morale of entire aviation regiments.
Now, they have started to do the same for CAS Ground Crew Training (Level 5).
Leadership distribution:
Research: 21 (+0,2)
Espionage: 0,80 (-0,29)
Diplomacy: 0,13 (-0,06)
Officers: 12,50 (+0,50 / 75 Officers/day)
Total: 34,43 (+0,35) In Oslo, Spies, Diplomats, and scientists have started working for the Soviet Union. Not all of them could be convinced to aid us, but the more left leaning types were more than willing to lend a hand to our war effort. The increase in leadership has allowed for an increase in officer training, in an attempt to close the gap between the number of officers required and the number of officers available. Of course with the size of our Army ever increasing, and over 100 officers dying on the front every week, we may have to settle for simply continuing to maintain an officer rate of 94-95% of the Red Army's targets for the foreseeable future.

Statistics:
National Unity: 83,223 =​
Neutrality: 0,00 =​
Dissent: 0,00 =​
Manpower:​
Available: 2.122.000 (-79.000) Filling the ranks of new units and replacing casualties takes it's toll, but it's a cost we can bear for some time to come.
Men To reinforce(need): 6.880 -
Men To mobilise(need): See above​
Monthly gain: 72.500 Men + (1 fully mobilised Infx3, Art, AT Division every 5,23 days) Carefully screened Norwegian volunteers from Oslo are now able to become part of our Garrison and Peace-keeping troops for the protection of the newly founded Norway SSR.
No changes in Party Popularity and Party Organisation​

This Information is accurate on the morning of the 26th of September 1942, I hope it serves you well in fine-tuning your possible suggestions.

'Odin'

• 2Like
Reactions:
Much like a true government, the Soviets have started to retrain some units, while producing more of them (speaking of the Garrison brigades).

• 1Like
Reactions:
The republic of Tannu Tuva has sent over technicians, blueprints, and engineers for the license production of a Bomber Aviation Regiment consisting of 101 Tannu Tuvan Tupolev SB-2's (Tac).
:confused::eek:o_O Planes under license from Tannu Tuva? Strange times indeed.
Today, 10 spies have been infiltrated into Sweden, some disguised as diplomats, and others, sneaking across the Norwegian or Finnish borders. Their job is to spread the good word about Stalinist Socialism, and a potential alliance to the Comintern.
Spreading the good word about Stalinist Socialism is indeed an accurate statement: there can’t be more than one of them to say. :D Don’t tell Beria I said that.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Bombers from... Tannu Tuva? I didn't know they had bombers. Huh. Well, at least we're getting new ships, and new barely-trained conscript units with Tsar-era weaponry to go with them, I guess?

Hopeful, but not too optimistic, regarding the spy operations slated for Sweden. We might have to settle for teaching them the joys of communism by force once this war is sorted.

Looking forward to the GPW report. Losing a destroyer flotilla is always concerning, though as far as losses go, there are a lot worse things. Overall the report looks positive, and a new class of both escort carrier and heavy cruiser should give the Red Navy a bit more versatility and presence. Will building light carriers instead of fleet carriers be a trend, or is the leadership perchance planning a high-speed battlegroup centered around a light carrier or two supported by heavy cruisers?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Much like a true government, the Soviets have started to retrain some units, while producing more of them (speaking of the Garrison brigades).
Yes, when a Division is taken prisoner, it has to be replaced as quickly as possible, hence the people's Militia (Gar) as a stop-gap, just in case the line breaks. If that doesn't happen, retraining them to full Rifle Divisions to fully replace the lost units makes sense. This happened OTL with Opolcheniye and NKVD units getting retrained and rearmed to the standards of a regular rifle division.

:confused::eek:o_O Planes under license from Tannu Tuva? Strange times indeed.
Bombers from... Tannu Tuva? I didn't know they had bombers. Huh. Well, at least we're getting new ships, and new barely-trained conscript units with Tsar-era weaponry to go with them, I guess?
Surprisingly, Tannu Tuva are the only other Comintern state to have developed bombers. Theirs are clearly inspired by our old Tupolev SB-2's, which means they are cheaper and easier to build than our own Yak-4's. As our aeroplane industry hasn't mass-produced twin-engine planes since 1936, they can use all the help they can get to get back up to speed.

Spreading the good word about Stalinist Socialism is indeed an accurate statement: there can’t be more than one of them to say. :D Don’t tell Beria I said that.
Do we have a traitor in our midst? I won't tell Beria, this time, but if this becomes a pattern we have a serious problem. ;)

Hopeful, but not too optimistic, regarding the spy operations slated for Sweden. We might have to settle for teaching them the joys of communism by force once this war is sorted.
Well, taking Sweden by force means we won't get access to their excellent Destroyer designs. There's a good chance they'll burn the blueprints out of spite. Ideally, we want to nudge them to our side so we can profit from their naval knowhow to speed up the modernisation of the Red Navy without expending too much leadership. The Strategic resources, and depriving Germany of a nearby source of steel are just bonuses. Of course, if it doesn't work out, we'll have to kickstart their revolution by kicking in the door, but that's really the worst case scenario. From a realpolitik point of view, Sweden willingly joining the Comintern is their best move. As the Soviet Union already has a potential stranglehold on their trade, and the SU will soon be their only neighbour. In case we decide to attack them, there is no way any foreign power can get to them before the Red Army forces a surrender. It would just be better for everyone if they just admitted reality and negotiated favourable terms for joining the Comintern now, while we have bigger problems to deal with, maybe send some expeditionary forces to the Red Army to increase their standing within the alliance, and of course sell tons of licenses for their Destroyer designs.

Looking forward to the GPW report. Losing a destroyer flotilla is always concerning, though as far as losses go, there are a lot worse things. Overall the report looks positive, and a new class of both escort carrier and heavy cruiser should give the Red Navy a bit more versatility and presence. Will building light carriers instead of fleet carriers be a trend, or is the leadership perchance planning a high-speed battlegroup centered around a light carrier or two supported by heavy cruisers?
Considering the light carriers are slower than fleet carriers (they're really more like armoured carriers), a high speed fleet is out of the question, and combining Heavy Cruisers with fleet carriers is a bad idea as the screens in such a fleet will stay out of the fire distance to protect the CV's and the CA's will be on their own in the enemy line of fire. This does not happen with CVL's. The next update will not be the GPW report, but one detailing the new and revised plans for the Red Navy, including a brief overview of the Kirov-class and the Kharkov-class. The main difficulty for the Red Navy is that it is called upon to do a lot of things with very limited resources and ships which are obsolescent at best. This recent increase in investment was long over due, and is insufficient to meet it's long term goals, but it's a step in the right direction. More on that in the next update, which will likely be posted next weekend.

• 2Like
Reactions: