• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of January 2021

Hello and Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. 2020 was an interesting year to say the least, but now we are in 2021, and the Tinto team is now fully up to speed with working on the new expansion. Today we’ll focus on some new aspects related to Heirs, Regencies and Estates.

First of all, one change for heirs and their legitimacy is that it will start a fair bit lower on average, and slowly increase over time as the heir grows older. Having high prestige increases it faster. Please note that corruption in your court increases it, as there is nothing screaming legitimate future King as much as a few sacks of gold in your pocket.

Secondly, with this new expansion, we have removed the regency councils, and instead replaced them by Estate Regencies.

Instead, a Regent will be generated from your most powerful estate. This will further increase the power of that estate, which might also give you a specific benefit or not.

eu4_18.png

Please note however that this does not replace consort regencies - consorts will still take priority over an estate-led regency

Thirdly, we are adding the option for extending a regency. Extending a regency reduces legitimacy by 10, and extends the current regency with another 5 years. Of course, the claim of the heir continues to increase. While a regency has some drawbacks, this can be very beneficial, if your heir is an imbecile, and your regency council is not entire incompetent.

Lest we forget, we have also changed so that you are no longer constantly losing legitimacy the longer you have a regency, but instead its an increase in stability cost.

We are also adding a fair bit more interesting events that occur when you are in a regency, all to add more interesting flavor to the experience, not to mention interesting situations.

As you may have noticed, this is one of the shorter development diaries, even if it gives you some new features, but next week, we’ll return to an interesting look at some more american nations and their content.

• 157Like
  • 24Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hello and Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. 2020 was an interesting year to say the least, but now we are in 2021, and the Tinto team is now fully up to speed with working on the new expansion. Today we’ll focus on some new aspects related to Heirs, Regencies and Estates.

First of all, one change for heirs and their legitimacy is that it will start a fair bit lower on average, and slowly increase over time as the heir grows older. Having high prestige increases it faster. Please note that corruption in your court increases it, as there is nothing screaming legitimate future King as much as a few sacks of gold in your pocket.

Secondly, with this new expansion, we have removed the regency councils, and instead replaced them by Estate Regencies.

Instead, a Regent will be generated from your most powerful estate. This will further increase the power of that estate, which might also give you a specific benefit or not.

View attachment 672416
Please note however that this does not replace consort regencies - consorts will still take priority over an estate-led regency

Thirdly, we are adding the option for extending a regency. Extending a regency reduces legitimacy by 10, and extends the current regency with another 5 years. Of course, the claim of the heir continues to increase. While a regency has some drawbacks, this can be very beneficial, if your heir is an imbecile, and your regency council is not entire incompetent.

Lest we forget, we have also changed so that you are no longer constantly losing legitimacy the longer you have a regency, but instead its an increase in stability cost.

We are also adding a fair bit more interesting events that occur when you are in a regency, all to add more interesting flavor to the experience, not to mention interesting situations.

As you may have noticed, this is one of the shorter development diaries, even if it gives you some new features, but next week, we’ll return to an interesting look at some more american nations and their content.

Family tree for EU4 when? It’s nice to know if your heir has any younger siblings...

• 7Love
Reactions:
by! Hate seeing all the "with x" statements in the game. No, my innovativeness will not be "increased with 2", it will be "increased by 2". Is there even a place to report grammatical errors, or should they just go with bug reports?

Other than that, this sounds like a cool new feature. I saw earlier that this won't change the inability to declare war during a regency, shouldn't that depend on the estate though? I mean if you end up with a Rajput or Cossack regent for example, maybe declaring war should be a possibility still.

Welcome to the World of broken english as lingua franca !!!

I really think people should not complain so much on minor mistakes. No-fluent guys like me can hardly notice those mistakes anyway. Since most players probably dont have english as their mother tongue, it is not a big deal at all.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
But most importantly, to make this not only a good feature but a great one:
- Have regents from different estates play differently, for example allow/disallow some options for each estate. Noble estate regents could be able to declare war while others can not, Burghers regents can create trade conpanies and charter companies, others can not, Church regents can use the respective religious mechanics, others can not etc.
Love these ideas. To add on for possible bonuses for Cossacks and Dharma Estates:
Cossacks: Enables Sich Rada mechanic, disables other government mechanics (most likely Russian principality mechanics)
Tribes: Hordes get the tribal succession crisis event with a regency so N/A
Dhimmi: Provinces of the regent's religion become unconvertable but contribute 100% to religious unity
Brahmins: Same as clergy in Hindu nations, same as dhimmi in Muslim nations
Marathas/Rajputs: Same as nobility in Hindu nations, enables declaring war on non-Hindu nations in non-Hindu nations
Vaishyas: Same as burghers
Jains: Enables sending/receiving any kind of money from other nations and manually taking loans

The disabling of mechanics only occurs when that estate exists in the country, so if a country doesn't have the Jains estate, they would still be able to send and receive money and take loans

• 4Like
Reactions:
they will most likely be primary culture, and state religion, as the estates themselves do not know anything else.

EDIT: talked to the programmer, we'll add that it will pick religion/culture from a random province you have with the christian religion group for the dhimmi

Don't you mean "...a random province you have with a non-muslim religion group for the dhimmi"?

• 5Like
Reactions:

I really think people should not complain so much on minor mistakes. No-fluent guys like me can hardly notice those mistakes anyway. Since most players probably dont have english as their mother tongue, it is not a big deal at all.

Gotta disagree here. I understand that English might not be any of the devs' first language (and God knows my second and especially third languages are not always good), but they did decide that the language of the game is English and write everything with English text and localization. It should be as accurate as possible for that reason alone

Reactions:
Will Republics get access to Consorts and Heirs, maybe randomly generated each election with the new candidate? It would be nice to have a consort and heir in the wings in the event I want to collapse the republic into a monarchy. Plus, being able to elect the heir under the Political Dynasties reform would be a cool feature, allowing that relative to develop his traits so we can determine whether or to dump the current political dynasty. Plus, it might make playing the Medici, or simulating them in another republic, easier.

Also, giving republican leaders proper dynasties would be a great improvement. How many times have I seen Andrea Doria Doria or Francesco I Sforza Sforza while stomping around the italian republics.

• 2Like
Reactions:

View attachment 672416

HOLY CRAP this is awesome. Thank you for these changes!

Not planned.. with how the codestructure works regarding monarchs, heirs and unions, I'd go "could try, but thats would add a few weeks of crazy bugs to fix, and probably some we never discover internally, but some of the community will see day 1 and will crucify us for".

So no, I don't think its something we'd add at this point.
Sad but true, I love this game but the community can be lacklustre at best sometimes

Reactions:

If nobody complains the mistakes will never be fixed. I just find that specific error so frustrating because I see it in the game so often. As I said, a place to report grammatical errors would be great. They don't seem like something that would be worth submitting a bug report for, but there are still some I'd like to see fixed.

Reactions:
as I believe Denmark-Norway also had a prince-regent during the French Revolutionary Wars and Napoleonic Wars.
That is correct.
Christian VII was insane and also had no interest in ruling. Hence various people to more or less degree ruled for him, e.g. Struensee. And then in 1784, as 16 years old, future Frederick VI basically did a coup d'etat, ruling in his father's name until.his father's death in 1808 and then ruling in his own name until.his own death in 1840 for a effective rule of 56 years.

Reactions:
If nobody complains the mistakes will never be fixed. I just find that specific error so frustrating because I see it in the game so often. As I said, a place to report grammatical errors would be great. They don't seem like something that would be worth submitting a bug report for, but there are still some I'd like to see fixed.

Gotta disagree here. I understand that English might not be any of the devs' first language (and God knows my second and especially third languages are not always good), but they did decide that the language of the game is English and write everything with English text and localization. It should be as accurate as possible for that reason alone

Ofc the text must be accurate. But the question posed by Kapi96 is not accuracy at all (everyone understood that "with" instead of a "by"), but minor grammar and spelling mistakes. I cant completely agree with that kind of worry. I want PDS spend more resources with programmers for fixing AI, not with people to revise minor mistakes. That is just aesthetics. Low priority. I see no problem in reporting the text mistakes, but that one seemed to me a little too harsh.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This. I would love much higher province density around the globe, especially if total dev can be kept relatively the same. It makes tall/regional RP playstyles much more viable when you can have like 20 provinces in a small area that you could dev to the moon vs having to cover land area equivalent to the entirety of Siberia just to get to 20.

Yep, I think province density should be relatively the same all over the globe, with some areas slightly more dense (Netherlands, Japan, Italy), while others (deserts, uncolonized land) slightly less dense.

Yep, I think province density should be relatively the same all over the globe
this causes UI problems, because the game uses a flat map.

so Europe really needs fewer provinces if we're going this way :D

Reactions: