• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations!

Reactions:
This has been stalled for a while, hasn't it?

Time to rectify that. I nominate @LPDK 356 for the characters in his AAR, Song of the Karlings: Karloman's Legacy. Specifically for Karloman himself.
I am honestly so touched by that:_ Especially since it's my first AAR published. Thanks a ton to everyone whose been so kind and supportive in the writing so far, and here's too much more content in future:)

Reactions:
Um, it's been more than two weeks since the last comment here, so @LPDK 356, can you nominate your successor? Or should we open this to nominations?

I've checked the dates and this nomination just sneaks into the limit, which is a relief as it means it can be handed out while the work is still "fresh".

I nominate @DensleyBlair for the tragic and hyperbolic figure of Jean-Maxence-François-Chrétien, the Vicomte De La Roche Saint-Michel. His previous oriental dispatches covering his travels in Greece have been exhausting and entertaining, but the tragic and lamentable tale of Antonia stands apart. There is more than a hint of the Byron to the Vicomte's language and style and he shares the overblown philhellenism and a tragic and mysterious past, but there is none of the moody brooding or pretentious to heroism.

Certainly one of the best bits of character work I have read recently here or anywhere else, I thoroughly recommend it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've checked the dates and this nomination just sneaks into the limit, which is a relief as it means it can be handed out while the work is still "fresh".

I nominate @DensleyBlair for the tragic and hyperbolic figure of Jean-Maxence-François-Chrétien, the Vicomte De La Roche Saint-Michel. His previous oriental dispatches covering his travels in Greece have been exhausting and entertaining, but the tragic and lamentable tale of Antonia stands apart. There is more than a hint of the Byron to the Vicomte's language and style and he shares the overblown philhellenism and a tragic and mysterious past, but there is none of the moody brooding or pretentious to heroism.

Certainly one of the best bits of character work I have read recently here or anywhere else, I thoroughly recommend it.

Ahem, plug the project by name...

Otherwise I quite agree, of course.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

This was a very, very lovely surprise to log on to and find this morning, so thank you for that, Pip. Apologies for the slightly belated acknowledgement, but I've been doing the YeAAR in Review all day… (which everyone should go and read!)

I have to say, it's only been a little bit but I have been having a lot of fun navigating Read Even More All About It through the Vicomte's eyes (pen?). His, ahem, herculean feats of prose are genuinely some of the most stamina-draining things I've written since leaving education (how many synonyms can a person find for "alas!"? Clink the link and find out!) but I've actually wanted to play around with a sort of Byron–Châteaubriand–Hoffman–parody character for a while, so this has been a fantastic opportunity. Depending on how far he gets before Greece implodes, I'd be quite interested in giving the Vicomte a spin-off at some point in the future. I started out intending to write him as an idiot, but I'm actually growing to find him quite endearing… I am deeply happy that others (or Pip, at least) have derived some entertainment from his exploits also. :)

Ahem, plug the project by name...

Link directly above. Everyone really should come along and Read All About It – or, more importantly, write all about it, too. We're not even out of 1821 and the Ottomans are about to collapse. it's all good fun. Aside from lovesick Viscounts we have Greek crypto-nationalists and literate bears (some of whom are also dukes). Come and join, everyone!

Otherwise I quite agree, of course.

Thank you all! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations! That really was quite the read.

Reactions:
We're not even out of 1821 and the Ottomans are about to collapse.

@El Pip might consider a rethink and now revrand the project as the international press destroying all the great powers one by one with their 'helpful suggestions'.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Congratulations from me as well ;)

Reactions:
@El Pip might consider a rethink and now revrand the project as the international press destroying all the great powers one by one with their 'helpful suggestions'.
There is definitely an opening for an actually pro-Ottoman Newspaper should anyone reading want to join the project. /hint, hint/

Reactions:
Congratulations! That really was quite the read.
Congrats !
Congratulations from me as well ;)

Thank you all!

There is definitely an opening for an actually pro-Ottoman Newspaper should anyone reading want to join the project. /hint, hint/

A pro-Ottoman newspaper would be great. Perks of the job include putting France and Britain and their respective places.

--

It's a shade past midnight in the UK, but I think it's still Sunday somewhere. Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who turned out to offer their congratulations and good wishes, all of which were very gratefully received. And thanks of course to Pip for nominating the Vicomte in the first instance. I'm sure he won't let it go to his head.

Looking through some of the newer AARs I've started following recently, one in particular jumped out as being host to a series of highly memorable characters even after only a month of activity. Over the last few weeks, we've been treated to marauding viking princes, grubby scheming tyrants and even a messianic drunk afflicted by megalomania. It was this final creation that convinced me I need look no further to find our next laureate.

AARlanders, please give your warmest congratulations to our next Character Writer of the Week: @Cora Giantkiller, for her skill in writing the devilish Mahdi Ivan the God-loving, Tsar of Russia in Caliphate of al-Rus: A Kievan AAR.

Congratulations, Cora!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations

Reactions: