EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First longer game and I am expanding as England. I have colonies in South Africa and Indonesia. For the base game with no expansions or DLCs, do trade companies exist? If no, Thxs. If yes, I have been hunting for the mechanic to add provinces to a Trade company/create trade company and I am just not finding it. I read the wiki and looked at the forum as well as hunted the UI and am just not getting. Any help would be appreciated. Apologize for the noob question....
You need the Wealth of Nations or Dharma DLC for trade companies. Each of these allow the adding of provinces to trade companies. And Wealth of Nations gives you extra merchants. And Dharma gives trade company investments.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi,
Reformation question: Say a CoR spawns in a nation with 2 provinces but not in the capital - if I annex their capital, leave them the other province (which is CoR) and enforce religion in peace deal, will that province be converted instantly (as it will become their new capital) also killing the CoR?
Thanks!

Hi,
Reformation question: Say a CoR spawns in a nation with 2 provinces but not in the capital - if I annex their capital, leave them the other province (which is CoR) and enforce religion in peace deal, will that province be converted instantly (as it will become their new capital) also killing the CoR?
Thanks!

yes, that is a common strategy to kill CoR in HRE (or at least it was before Emperor but I don't think that anything changed there).

Do I understand you correctly that you want to force convert the country and take their capital in the same peace deal? Then the old capital(which now belongs to you) will be converted and if it has a CoR it will be removed. But their new capital will not be converted and a CoR in the new capital will stay. To remove a CoR from the new capital, you need two peace deals. In the first peace deal, you take the old capital, but don't convert the country. And in the next war, you convert the country and this will convert their capital.

@wielkiciensteam are you claiming that force converting a country and taking their capital in the same peace deal will convert the province to which the capital moves? (and not the province in which the capital was before the peace deal). Or did you understand the question differently?

are you claiming that force converting a country and taking their capital in the same peace deal will convert the province to which the capital moves? (and not the province in which the capital was before the peace deal). Or did you understand the question differently?

I'm sure that force converting nation destroys CoR in capital province. It also works on moving capital though right now I'm not so certain which province is converted.

Do I understand you correctly that you want to force convert the country and take their capital in the same peace deal? Then the old capital(which now belongs to you) will be converted and if it has a CoR it will be removed. But their new capital will not be converted and a CoR in the new capital will stay. To remove a CoR from the new capital, you need two peace deals. In the first peace deal, you take the old capital, but don't convert the country. And in the next war, you convert the country and this will convert their capital.

@wielkiciensteam are you claiming that force converting a country and taking their capital in the same peace deal will convert the province to which the capital moves? (and not the province in which the capital was before the peace deal). Or did you understand the question differently?
Yes, I was interested in which province would be automatically converted by enforcing religion - the old or the new capital? If the new one, it would make it possible to destroy CoRs in below 100% warscore countries regardless of CoR being in capital or not (but as I haven't read/ seen this suggestion elsewhere so I'm afraid, it's the old one)

Yes, I was interested in which province would be automatically converted by enforcing religion - the old or the new capital? If the new one, it would make it possible to destroy CoRs in below 100% warscore countries regardless of CoR being in capital or not (but as I haven't read/ seen this suggestion elsewhere so I'm afraid, it's the old one)
it's the old capital that gets converted, or at least it certainly used to be - I haven't played in the latest couple of patches.

I've recently returned to EU4 after a longish break, and I'm wondering what you need to do to strip away the "Defender of the Faith" title.

My recollection of previous patches is that, if the DoF joined the war (as a secondary participant) and you made peace with the primary and that peace included any demands then the DoF title would be lost. However, something clearly changed in Emperor, and the wiki is no help. I have now successfully fought the Mamluk mega-blob to a standstill twice while they were defending the Sunni primary defender, and taken provinces from the primary defender in the war. Both times, the Mamluks retained the DoF title. I'm pretty sure they would not have retained the title in these circumstances prior to 1.30.

I'm not close enough to declare war on the Mamluks directly, and it's really annoying to have to deal with them constantly (my navy sucks), so I'd like to know what I have to do to strip the title from them. Do I have to make a separate peace with them and enforce some demands? (I haven't tried for this so far because it would be incredibly risky and costly.)

I've recently returned to EU4 after a longish break, and I'm wondering what you need to do to strip away the "Defender of the Faith" title.

My recollection of previous patches is that, if the DoF joined the war (as a secondary participant) and you made peace with the primary and that peace included any demands then the DoF title would be lost. However, something clearly changed in Emperor, and the wiki is no help. I have now successfully fought the Mamluk mega-blob to a standstill twice while they were defending the Sunni primary defender, and taken provinces from the primary defender in the war. Both times, the Mamluks retained the DoF title. I'm pretty sure they would not have retained the title in these circumstances prior to 1.30.

I'm not close enough to declare war on the Mamluks directly, and it's really annoying to have to deal with them constantly (my navy sucks), so I'd like to know what I have to do to strip the title from them. Do I have to make a separate peace with them and enforce some demands? (I haven't tried for this so far because it would be incredibly risky and costly.)
AFAIK the only thing which changed is that the AI is now more likely to become DotF.
Did you peace out the Mamluks in a separate peace deal or did they stay in the war till the end and were part of the peace deal in which you took provinces? If you made a white peace with the Mamluks they can retain their title as DotF. They only lose it if they are part of a peace deal in which their side lost something.
How and when did you check if they are still the DotF? If you look at the religion page of the ledger on the same day in which you made the peace deal, they should not be DotF anymore(if their side lost something as I explained above). But if you look one day later, they might have already retaken the title if they had enough money.

In many circumstances, the Mamluks are not such a problematic DotF, because their capital is in Africa and they won't defend the Sunni countries in Asia. Maybe you can try to expand in Asia or in Europe and attack the African Sunnis when an Asian country takes DotF. You can even co-belligerent an African Sunni without getting the Mamluks involved(as long as they are not allied to one of the countries and your primary target is not an African Sunni)

AFAIK the only thing which changed is that the AI is now more likely to become DotF.
Did you peace out the Mamluks in a separate peace deal or did they stay in the war till the end and were part of the peace deal in which you took provinces? If you made a white peace with the Mamluks they can retain their title as DotF. They only lose it if they are part of a peace deal in which their side lost something.
How and when did you check if they are still the DotF? If you look at the religion page of the ledger on the same day in which you made the peace deal, they should not be DotF anymore(if their side lost something as I explained above). But if you look one day later, they might have already retaken the title if they had enough money.

Thanks for confirming that my understanding was correct! I did not separate peace the Mamluks, and I definitely took provinces from their side both times... but I didn't check the ledger immediately after, so it is quite possible that they just bought the title immediately. They did eventually lose the title a few decades later, but it wasn't anything I did.

In many circumstances, the Mamluks are not such a problematic DotF, because their capital is in Africa and they won't defend the Sunni countries in Asia. Maybe you can try to expand in Asia or in Europe and attack the African Sunnis when an Asian country takes DotF. You can even co-belligerent an African Sunni without getting the Mamluks involved(as long as they are not allied to one of the countries and your primary target is not an African Sunni)

In most circumstances, I would agree. However, this is an achievement run starting near Lake Victoria and aiming to stay Fetishist - it's not a strong start. For about a century, I was in a situation where my miltech was way behind (due to force-spawning 3 institutions), every possible war was against Sunni (or European colonisers lol), and the Mamluks could just stroll through Somalia. If I was extremely careful, I could overwhelm individual armies with my vassal swarm - but it was definitely a slow retreat, buying time for ticking warscore in the main objective and aiming to strip the DoF title so the next war was easier. Unfortunately, as per my question, the last part of that didn't work...

Anyway, I've progressed a bit, including a successful defence against Spain and Portugal, so I think the run is stable now - I'm unlikely to get wiped by the AI before getting to tech 32.

but I didn't check the ledger immediately after, so it is quite possible that they just bought the title immediately.
To verify if it's a bug or not, you could use the notification setting for when a nation becomes a DoF. It can be annoying seeing some irrelevant religion pop up all the time, but it'll let you see who claimed the title immediately.

Reactions:
Quick question related to coring range:
1.Palying as Ottoman i attacked one of the Irish minors and took them as vassal (no CB war).
After that I used their CB to conquer another Irish minor and I was able to take conquested lands as Ottomans without any issiues.
2.Attacked Jolof and took them as vassal (no CB war).
After that I used their CB to take some lands from Mali.
However, this time I wasnt able to do that as I was getting message that this land is not in my coring range (province was occupied by my Ottoman army).

Why in the 1st option i was able to size land and in second not?
In both cases these lands where not in my colonial range.

Quick question related to coring range:
1.Palying as Ottoman i attacked one of the Irish minors and took them as vassal (no CB war).
After that I used their CB to conquer another Irish minor and I was able to take conquested lands as Ottomans without any issiues.
2.Attacked Jolof and took them as vassal (no CB war).
After that I used their CB to take some lands from Mali.
However, this time I wasnt able to do that as I was getting message that this land is not in my coring range (province was occupied by my Ottoman army).

Why in the 1st option i was able to size land and in second not?
In both cases these lands where not in my colonial range.
Because the province in the first case was on the same continent as your capital. If you would move your capital to Africa you could take African provinces next to your subjects(but not European provinces next to your subjects anymore).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why can't I use the great power option to break alliances? its just greyed out?

What are the requirements for it?
Do you have the Rights of Man expansion? If you have the Emperor expansion, but not the Rights of Man expansion, you will have the other great power mechanics, but not the break alliance action. I think this is the only way how it can be greyed out without having a tooltip which explains why.

Do you have the Rights of Man expansion? If you have the Emperor expansion, but not the Rights of Man expansion, you will have the other great power mechanics, but not the break alliance action. I think this is the only way how it can be greyed out without having a tooltip which explains why.
Yep that must be it.

This is the most Paradox thing I ever heard of. Absolutely disgusting. Thanks, Johan!

1610888458264.png

Can someone tell me what else I need for this mission? I should have gotten it earlier with Burgundy. I had 150+ relations, disbanded till I got a 10k stack whilst they had 18k but didn't get it. Now I inherited Burgundy so they're not eligible anymore and the target went to Austria, but I still can't complete it. Seems bugged.