Your Imperator priorities 2021 Edition

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

manager2525

Colonel
42 Badges
Oct 27, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
It might be a bit late for the upcoming 2.0 release but I was wondering (again) what would you like to see changed - implemented in Imperator? Personally after 500 hours of play I have changed my mind concerning which points I consider the weakest - most in need of change compared to when I had 100 hours (pushing those initial points further down my wishlist in favour of some new ones). So you could post the 3 most wanted changes in order from the top priority to the less important. I assume that most will have more than 3 points but in order to keep the posts in a more manageable size and probably see what are the really important ones for all. Changes could be as small as adding for example more heritages to full out overhaults (in trade, government types and how they work etc).

EDIT:
In order to see a sum up of everything that has been requested thus far please see the post curtesy of Decius. @Decius thank you for taking the time to read and sum up everything!!!

Sum of the current numbers of priorities (updated version):

1. Trade: 23
2. Diplomacy (incl. subjects): 14
3. Characters (incl. families): 12
4. Tribes (government incl. migratory tribes): 11
5. Economy and population: 10
6. Flavour (and events): 7
7. Government types (all three major within one post): 7
8. Cultures and Religions*: 6
9. Buildings: 5
10. Republic government: 4
11. Food system/management (improvements, changes): 3
12. Internal politics (including civil war improvements): 3
13. Mid and late game features**: 3
14. Further military features/improvements: 3
15. Monarchy government: 1

*further changes to the current system plus more distinction between different cultures and religion
**playstyle changes over the course of a campaign, crisis, tribe migrations, etc.

Imo some topic merges, which may show in which greater areas of the game updates are requested:

1. Economy* - trade, economy and pops, buildings, food: 41
2. Government types - all, monarchy, republic, tribal**: 23
3. Characters and Politics: 15
4. Diplomacy (incl. subjects): 14
5. Flavour: 7
6. Culture and Religion: 6

*I know it's a very big category, but these aspects are interwined and would make a great larger update someday (or maybe split into two medium ones)
**tribes are considered as the most important

Some notes: Single mentioned priorities are not included, if they didn't fit in any of the categories above. Also different detailed priorities are in the same category as long as they share the same overall topic. Posts with more than three priorities got all of them taken into account, but if somebody wrote more than one priority that matches the same category within his post, it only got counted once. If one priority includes several categories, they got split. E.g. a trade, economy and pop priority is seperated in one count for trade and one for economy and population. Categories with two or more aspects are merged, because they are most of the time mentioned together. Specific faction DLCs are not included, because there are just about 2 to 3 different posts including them different factions currently.

Since the last time no ranks have changed.

Attention:
Because of the timing of this thread, I guess it is worth to mention that further improvements to the military aspects (like navies, tactics, etc.) probably are underrepresented. People probably weren't sure how large the 2.0 war and military update is going to get - so further military updates would rank higher, if the thread was created some time after 2.0 - knowing which aspects aren't touched by 2.0.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I think trade overhaul goes without saying.

Personally I would like cultures and religion to be more relevant in making gameplay choices. 2.0 is going in the right direction with levies dependent on pops culture, but I feel there's still a lot more that could be done. This includes unique laws, decisions, government forms, buildings and the likes.

Same should happen with religion. 1.4 was good but I think it didn't really do justice to the amount of differentiation that should be among ancient religions and how they impacted society and individual lives.

• 15Like
Reactions:
1) Better balance, while we are yet to see 2.0, I have exactly zero confidence in PDX ability to balance their games, and IR suffers from systemic balance issues that affect the whole game, so I guess I'll have to leave it at a vague 'balance the game better' until we get our hands on 2.0

2) Add actual republics into the game, not these discount monarchies with a curia of the jackasses to slap you with 20 tyranny for breathing every now and then, and I'm not talking about just the Cursus Honorum, though it'd be a good start, I'm also talking about stuff like and actual senate mechanics (no idea if it'd work, but it should be investigated non the less), elections being actually being a thing, and a proper form of republican governance, I.E. the player shouldn't have dictatorial powers as they do now

3) add a Sphere of Influence mechanic, it doesn't have to be as deep as Vic, but it needs to somehow force larger conflicts between larger powers, like think of the first Punic, that happened because Carthage had managed to almost conquer all of Sicily, and the Senate couldn't let that happen uncontested, or Mithridates, who was viciously attacked by the Romans due to his rising influence in the region

Honourable mentions:

As fun as quantum teleportation is, it's not exactly historically accurate for how trade in the era worked, so have trade that moves, rather than teleport

Have more regional regions, as in, sending a governor to a faraway province should feel like sending a governor to a faraway province, not a glorified face while you assume direct control, not it shouldn't be as autonomous as it would have been, but it's gotta at least somewhat feel like it's a faraway province.

• 16Like
Reactions:
I have just 1 priority: tear out everything inherited from EU4 and replace it with something original.

It may take months, if not years. I just want to see something as vague, but as solemn, as a promise to prioritise replacing all the anachronistic mechanics copied from EU4.

• 7Love
  • 6Like
Reactions:
1- Trade with real routes. No more abstract import / export arrows.

Being able to create the silk route and the incense route.

2-More flavor. Make religions have unique mechanics, make each civilization feel different.

3-Improve mid-game and late game. Have a crisis or something interesting that happens at the end

• 6Like
Reactions:
The updates/reworks/improvements I would like to see after 2.0 (sorted by priority imo):

1. Economy: trade, economy and buildings + city and pop management (buildings are partially adressed in 2.0, but further improvements are welcomed)
2. Diplomacy: diplomacy and subjects
3. Governments: tribe and monarchy government + refinements to the republic government (+ additions like cursus honorum, etc.)

4. characters and families
5. internal politics
6. migratory tribes, migration and colonization - these features are at the moment a bit poorly implemented

Maybe the republic government refinement can be alongside the diplomacy and subject update, monarchy government rework besides characters and families and tribes with the migration, migratory tribes and colonization, but if possible already alongside diplomacy or even economy.

Not included in these three/five topics are more flavour DLC's for factions/cultures and smaller feature DLC's like the Great Wonder builder, which probably gonna be released alongside future updates. Also minor improvements, rebalancing things and bugfixing will be an ongoing process, which won't be a surprise.

Btw there was already a thread (I think even a third) about this topic: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...te-after-marius-update-be-focused-on.1447185/

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
I really wanna wait for 2.0 because technology and warfare would probably be my 1 & 2 and my priorities may change but i THINK i would rate the rest as follows:

1. diplomacy

2. tribes & barbarians

3. Government types, as in maybe have unique laws or decisions or things to do as different governments of the same type, the only unique thing that comes to mind is that religious republics are the only republic that can deify rulers and migratory tribes since they well can migrate but other than that it's just a few +% bonuses between them.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Im hoping future updates to be this:

2.1 Pops and the Economy

I honestly think both should be reworked at the same time. Currently pops feel a bit too bland, too dead, they seem to be more like stats in a province rather than actual pops, Stellaris pops feel a lot more alive than Imperator pops.

I dont like the +0.03 tax or +0.025 research type of system. Tax income and commerce income should be based on the price of goods produced in the province and price of goods should move up or down based on supply and demand. It is upon those prices that Tax income should be based I want pops like Freemen and Tribesmen to produce goods instead of just Slaves. They should produce more than Slaves but at a price of higher required goods, more difficult to keep happy.

I also do not like the fact that 1 trade good should would make all the particular pop type a province happy without regard if the province has 30 pops or 300. This is one of the reasons why mega city gameplay is strong. 1 trade good should only affect a specific amount of pops. With that regard pops should consume goods as well.

Trade goods should be more granular either multiply trade goods available by 100 or make decimals possible.

I'd also like to see 2nd tier trade goods. By that I mean I would want to see pops produce goods using current goods. Not to the level of complexity of Victoria 2, but something to the level of Stellaris. Im envisioning something like making Garum trade good from a Fish trade good and a Salt trade good.

Anyway check out my pre-1.5 suggestion with that topic

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/a-more-dynamic-pop-system.1392616/#post-26649227

2.2 Trade

I would like a trade system that doesnt just teleport goods from one point in the map to another. Without this Trade would feel so bland or shallow. Thus making the following possible:

Trade should enrich not only the two trading parties but those in the middle. Spain selling precious metals to the Levant should not only enrich both parties but Carthage as well which acts a transit point between two parties.

Trade should also be raidable or blockadable. Navies would thus be more important, Carthage could blockade Grain shipments from Egypt when the former is at war with Rome in order to cripple Rome. Pirate states could enrich themselves from raiding rich trade routes. This would also mean 3rd parties would want to pressure both sides to stop a war because their trade is severely affected thus it may lead to an intervention or a simply a threat thereof.

2.3 Government and Internal Politics.

Currently Government types feel so bland, there is no real difference on how you play between A Stratocratic Republic and a Mercantile Republic save for some modifiers and suggested idea slots. They should play differently and have unique mechanics. Stratocratic Republic would want war and expansion, and military defeats should cause unrest in the populace and if its bad enough call for a change of government. While Mercantile Republics would hate it if you declare war on a trade ally or if you fail to protect trade lanes.

Internal politics also feel so bland, I honestly thing the great family system is a bad mechanic. I do not like how they are merely concerned with the number of jobs or that minor characters or families simply disappear into obscurity.

Honorable mentions:

Diplomacy
Characters
Migratory Tribes

• 20Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Im hoping future updates to be this:

2.1 Pops and the Economy

I honestly think both should be reworked at the same time. Currently pops feel a bit too bland, too dead, they seem to be more like stats in a province rather than actual pops, Stellaris pops feel a lot more alive than Imperator pops.

I dont like the +0.03 tax or +0.025 research type of system. Tax income and commerce income should be based on the price of goods produced in the province and price of goods should move up or down based on supply and demand. It is upon those prices that Tax income should be based I want pops like Freemen and Tribesmen to produce goods instead of just Slaves. They should produce more than Slaves but at a price of higher required goods, more difficult to keep happy.

I also do not like the fact that 1 trade good should would make all the particular pop type a province happy without regard if the province has 30 pops or 300. This is one of the reasons why mega city gameplay is strong. 1 trade good should only affect a specific amount of pops. With that regard pops should consume goods as well.

Trade goods should be more granular either multiply trade goods available by 100 or make decimals possible.

I'd also like to see 2nd tier trade goods. By that I mean I would want to see pops produce goods using current goods. Not to the level of complexity of Victoria 2, but something to the level of Stellaris. Im envisioning something like making Garum trade good from a Fish trade good and a Salt trade good.

Anyway check out my pre-1.5 suggestion with that topic

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/a-more-dynamic-pop-system.1392616/#post-26649227

2.2 Trade

I would like a trade system that doesnt just teleport goods from one point in the map to another. Without this Trade would feel so bland or shallow. Thus making the following possible:

Trade should enrich not only the two trading parties but those in the middle. Spain selling precious metals to the Levant should not only enrich both parties but Carthage as well which acts a transit point between two parties.

Trade should also be raidable or blockadable. Navies would thus be more important, Carthage could blockade Grain shipments from Egypt when the former is at war with Rome in order to cripple Rome. Pirate states could enrich themselves from raiding rich trade routes. This would also mean 3rd parties would want to pressure both sides to stop a war because their trade is severely affected thus it may lead to an intervention or a simply a threat thereof.

2.3 Government and Internal Politics.

Currently Government types feel so bland, there is no real difference on how you play between A Stratocratic Republic and a Mercantile Republic save for some modifiers and suggested idea slots. They should play differently and have unique mechanics. Stratocratic Republic would want war and expansion, and military defeats should cause unrest in the populace and if its bad enough call for a change of government. While Mercantile Republics would hate it if you declare war on a trade ally or if you fail to protect trade lanes.

Internal politics also feel so bland, I honestly thing the great family system is a bad mechanic. I do not like how they are merely concerned with the number of jobs or that minor characters or families simply disappear into obscurity.

Honorable mentions:

Diplomacy
Characters
Migratory Tribes
Well to be honest, the Trade system from EU4... is perhaps the only one worth copying. I have no idea why the current trade system has been in place when it doesn't really add innovation.

But now changes are being made on building new ports. I guess reworking Trade in some innovative manners would be in the direct head course our ship is heading to. So I guess it's going to come after the warring update we are receiving next?

• 7Like
Reactions:

This please!

• 9Like
Reactions:
My wishlist for 2021, and hence the update after 2.0 would be internal politics and the repartition of wealth and territories among the great "actors" of your nation, be it through nomination/election/inheritence/appanage.

This along with a centralisation/autonomisations of regions showing the dilution of wealth in between the taxable income and the "share" of each member of the taxe collection chain associated with the already present corruption mechanic would IMHO be an essential rework.

It would also need a legislative rework to make sure those mechanics and the reasons for said power disparity to be something that you aim for in long term, and with said repartition of power you will feel like the gracci brothers or marius or even sulla at the end of his "reign", as in you will be having to fight and get push backs when trying to pass reform as you might piss off the wealthy senators or be blocked by a corrupted tribune of the people veto-ing your every moves.

Ultimately this would lead to my dream which are dynamic civil wars.

Personnal request : Please paradox allow us to keep playing even if we lose a civil war, maybe I'm seeing this wrong but I always feel of the game more of a EU4 type of game rather than CKII, I'm playing the nation not the "leaders" I want to play a nations that evolves through time and goes through civil wars rebellions and such. I want to rebuilt my nation after it's main leaders have been kicked off rather than see a game over screen (that might be just me tho).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well to be honest, the Trade system from EU4... is perhaps the only one worth copying. I have no idea why the current trade system has been in place when it doesn't really add innovation.

But now changes are being made on building new ports. I guess reworking Trade in some innovative manners would be in the direct head course our ship is heading to. So I guess it's going to come after the warring update we are receiving next?

I haven't played Eu4. So I don't know how it works.

I don't think trade would be next. I have a feeling it would be something less ambitious. Since I think they would go with something more minor after making a patch this big. Remember that after 1.2 they made 1.3 which was not that major.

Perhaps it would be buildings since they have already touched it.

I haven't played Eu4. So I don't know how it works.

I don't think trade would be next. I have a feeling it would be something less ambitious. Since I think they would go with something more minor after making a patch this big. Remember that after 1.2 they made 1.3 which was not that major.

Perhaps it would be buildings since they have already touched it.
I will try to explain EU4 Trade in short.

There are predefined Trade Nodes in the whole world. Each country will have some Trade Power. All Nodes within range will be influenced by the country's Trade Power and add up. All the profits made within the Node is shared among all the shareholders, which are the countries with Trade Powers within this Node.

And it's as you've said, most Nodes are redirectors. As a country, you may just collect your reward in that Node, or you don't collect the profits but use your Trade Power to forward Trade closer to you.

That's why I have said how the EU4 Trade system is a good one to copy. Of course I'd still prefer something original for Imperator Rome. I am just not sure why they haven't copied this good system but implemented the one we have now.

• 4Like
Reactions:
My priorities:

1. On-map, dynamic trade routes that can be blocked or interdicted by armies, navies and forts
2. Pretty much an entire trade and economics re-work incorporating POPS to a far greater degree
3. Tribal government re-work and loads of additional events / mechanics for them
4. Gaul / Celts DLC

Also important but not as desperately needed as above:

5. More dynamic events which occur based on the situation you find your empire in
6. Integrate characters into the Mission Trees and add more generic missions for all polities (can tie this in with #5)
7. Improve offices for monarchies / republics / tribes. They're far too generic. Implementing a kind of Cursus Honorem system for republics, a 'Royal Patronage' system based on relationship with the monarch in monarchies and something equally unique for tribes.
8. Re-work of the family system to re-introduce Minor Families, but with only one character representing them (i.e. the Pater Familias), which families having a more dynamic rise and fall based on their political power (would be nice to track them rising and falling graphically as well)
9. Additional city-building control - perhaps using the system Vitruvius is using for Great Works we can do some basic city planning?
10. Perhaps using the system Vitruvius is using for Great Works we can design our own military units? Ships / land
11. Updated character models - the closer we can get to the graphical fidelity of CK3's characters the better
12. Updated character dress / garb
13. Some kind of basic history collecting engine similar to EU4 or Rome II Total War - it doesn't need to be perfect, but its nice to have the 'basic' details of events to recall later on. Some of this is being implemented with the army legacies.
14. Additional army legacies - build on what's being implemented in Marius
15. Germanics / Scythian DLC
16. Iranian / Indian DLC

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
My top 3 wishlist:
  1. A rework of the economic system. This includes a trade rework with blockable trade routes, but also a more consumption based economy whereby you need to supply x-amount of good for every y-amount of POPs. Some sort of rudementary production chains would also be cool. As @nikkythegreat said: fish + salt = garum, or cloth + dyes = luxery clothes. The way I would implement it would be along the lines of: a city has 1 production slot, a metropolis has 2, and the capital adds 1 to that particular territory.
  2. A rework of the food system so that food management becomes a lot more challenging, for example by removing the flat food production output of a territory and tying it to the number of freemen in a territory. This could further be tied to the sieges to make sieges last as long as a territory has food.
  3. A rework of the diplomacy system to allow for peaceful expansion by establishing hegemony over nearby states, for example through cultural and religious influence.
And number 4: a senate rework whereby voting by political parties is based on their own objectives rather than being a popularity contest; where it matters which party is in power because they will only vote for the things they like.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Complete rework of characters. All should be able to normally marry, produce children and rise to power. Making only few great families who act normally was a mistake. I want some interesting stories like in Vae Victis when descendant of conquered gallic tribe became the Emperor of Rome through civil war. In current Imperator system it's impossible.

Some quality of life things should be added for managing your characters like bethrothals.

Things missing from Imperator that were in Rome Vae Victis and were great for immersion: character history (scroll icon next to character, after clicking on it there is a history of character including marriages, offices taken, battles won etc) and traits recieved after being on a certain position (former ruler, former general etc).

• 8Like
Reactions:
1) More diplomatic options with Celts/Germanics, maybe featuring a more prominent political role of priests and religious figures, or the implementation of federations. Overall, more unique mechanics to tribals

2) The ability of blocking trade routes, via land or sea "occupation"

3) As suggested by @crownsteler , allowing the establishment of hegemonies

4) This might be my problem since I play on a laptop, but an improvement on performances would be great

• 3Like
Reactions:
CHARACTERS.
Characters characters characters.

They are the soul of the game and a HUGE part of immersion for many people...and right now they are very underdeveloped and limited by a badly made UI. And in one place (introduction of major-minor family system) they even regressed from release version.

They are so bland, they don't even have basic things like headwear or variation in armours. Ironically this game is full of beautiful art depicting helmets and headwear all over the place - events, missions and such. Apparently the devs failed to take inspiration from their own team members or coordinating, despite (according to a few posts back in 2019) actually building a helmet system into the game. And this is just one example of how underused and underwhelming this game's system have been, despite having probably the STRONGEST potential of any Paradox game so far had they built all the features properly.

I would love to see a comprehensive overhaul of the everything related to characters. There is a LOT of unused potential.

I want a character rework so much, I even started working on a 60+ page (as-of-yet) document that I have plans to post in suggestions section (if the devs read it that is). It contains everything from flavour and immersion, major complaints and minor issues, how to solve all of them, ideas about every single aspect of characters and families, new systems for education and scheming, and how to easily integrate everything within current in-game mechanics. I am thinking of making a forum thread to collect user suggestions about this now.

And don't worry map painters, this isn't turning into CK.

----------

Secondly - DIPLOMACY.

It is so dead and barren in this game, it is comparable to features from those old "gimmick" games that Paradox lazily released and then immediately dropped from development despite large demand, like Sengoku/MoTE/EU-Rome.

In comparison with EU4, it is almost shameful.
No vassal management beyond basics. reduction of features (remember peace treaty money demand, anyone?), annex-integration ruined by that horrid major-minor family system and unnecessarily stupid "hurr durr crucify kill blood slay murder thirst" events from release version, no way to tell vassals and allies to focus their military somewhere or join yours, no proper league mechanics for city states and minor nations to build historical powerful federations, weird relation opinions, allies that keep insulting you for no reason, diplo-range issue for larger empires, no espionage, no way to seek protections and guarantees as a minor, an awkward UI on top of it all...and it goes on.

They took like 10 years of innovation in their own excellent games, and just threw it out the window because apparently replicating EU-Rome instead of improving on it was the only priority.
At least there are a few good things like allies actually forced to help in wars, compared to EU4's bankrupt allies who refuse to join half the time.

Diplomacy really needs a complete overhaul with a lot of new features. As pathetic as it is, I won't even mind if it comes via DLC.

----------

Also ABILITY TO RENAME SHIPS AND COHORTS. It is just humiliating how this bare basic feature was forgotten, and hasn't been implemented two years into release.
No, I don't like seeing "27th Ostia Trireme" and "64th Apollonia Liburnian", I like to roleplay and immerse myself in nations I play by renaming army units. It was tiresome seeing "46th London Ironclad" in Victoria 2 as well, and somehow took ages for Stellaris team to fix this issue as well.

I do hope they haven't taken away the ability to rename armies now.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
1. Mid/late game progression. Something evolving, not just more of the same. (looks like it's already being worked on, like levy to legion, perfect example)

2. Food management. Towards end game, all my provinces gets alot of pops and I can't put my armies anywhere. And I only use 30-40k stacks. I don't do internal import of food bc eventually that province will lose food and I can't stand watching a starving province. I really try to avoid to have more than 80-100 pops in my (costal) cities bc of this. I don't know if I'm alone with this problem, but the governor controlling trade is prob a big improvement. Not sure if it entirely fixes it for me and my playstyle.

3. Importance and development of cities. I want the cities to have more meaning than just x gold and x manpower or research. As my empire grows I want to establish powerhouses in different regions, like regional capitals and for it to be hurtful for that province/region if you lose control of it. Like Alexander did in for example Alexandria. Right now I just pretend it's my regional capital and build a metropolis there and make it hard to siege.
I have no idea how implement this, if you know what I mean with this point. It wouldn't be enough to get a loyalty penalty for losing it or gold or manpower. I just want some cities to have that little extra to it, and be more important to an area than others.

(maybe if regional capital gets captured, governor loses holdings, and army loses discipline/moral)

• 3Like
Reactions: