Imperator DD : Civilization, Buildings and Macedon

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No.

Yes, it only shows those apparently.

As indicated, all balance subject to change - this building in particular. Not entirely sure I agree that it's useless though. Might be niche, but one can hold up some pretty huge armies through a mountain gate with earthworks; yielding an effective combat width of 9 or 10 if memory serves. They can only be constructed in fort provinces; meaning unless your fort has fallen, you'll always be treated as the defender.

There have been additional changes to population capacity % modifiers which render this pretty hard to achieve. Notably, technology itself provides reduced population capacity %, and to receive the invention modifiers to popcap, you have to invest a considerable quantity of innovations to unlock the majority that were pretty much de facto available before. Whatever you're spending in these results in points you aren't spending elsewhere.

Without innovations, I've been hard pressed to get a metropolis above 300 pops (while cheating thoroughly, and building only aqueducts) - I don't see much value in entirely preventing this playstyle for those that wish to engage in it - the important thing is that engaging in it is now something you actively build towards, at the expense of other things.

EDIT: Another honorable mention is perhaps that the various bonuses to output for simply existing in a capital region/province/city have been hugely reduced. Civilization is key to output now - stacking population in somewhere that magically results in higher output is no longer nearly as viable.

in terms of population and very simple, and just to reduce food expenditure, a very large population in a city will need absurdly much food. this can also be understood for the time of year. this would make it possible to create a large city, but there would have to be many, many more fields with componeses to feed it.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I was looking at the buildings, and saw that foundries now give +50% starting xp, and a part of me now wonders how that will work with the new levies system. Because if it turns out that the game just spawns a levy army in one province based on the amount of pops in the region as a whole, then that bonus is going to be incredible. And abusable - getting a bunch of units at 50% and then disbanding them sounds like a good way to farm military experience, and since the cost is a bit of war exhaustion that sounds infinitely manageable.

Don't get me wrong: anything that makes "starting experience" less worthless is a good thing. And I guess the "problem" can be solved by levies appearing in all territories and grouping rather than all at once, or putting a minimum amount of time a levy has to be raised to stop players from abusing the feature.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hopefully they would reduce the rate of which experience is gained or decays.

Cause currently experience goes up and down too fast which is one of the reasons why experience bonuses are not worth it now.

Maybe it should be something like 1/3 of the speed now.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Sorry, I really hate to nitpick, but that Dodona event is all wrong. No "ravings of the oracle" there. The method of divination at Dodona is a bit unclear, but 'inspired prophecy' was not part of it. The oracular oak of Zeus and metal implements hanging from its boughs are the most securely attested methods of gaining divine responses there. This makes sense also in terms of how Greeks thought about the inspiration of mortals by the gods: Apollo, a member of the second generation of Olympians, could perhaps be conceptualised as taking over (enthousiasmos) a mortal's susceptible mind - but for Zeus himself to do so would have seemed just somehow 'off'.

Reactions:
This all looks good and I like it, but will limiting number of buildings not affect tall/wide gameplay?

Reactions:
I was looking at the buildings, and saw that foundries now give +50% starting xp, and a part of me now wonders how that will work with the new levies system. Because if it turns out that the game just spawns a levy army in one province based on the amount of pops in the region as a whole, then that bonus is going to be incredible. And abusable - getting a bunch of units at 50% and then disbanding them sounds like a good way to farm military experience, and since the cost is a bit of war exhaustion that sounds infinitely manageable.

Don't get me wrong: anything that makes "starting experience" less worthless is a good thing. And I guess the "problem" can be solved by levies appearing in all territories and grouping rather than all at once, or putting a minimum amount of time a levy has to be raised to stop players from abusing the feature.

I agree that this could be a problem, if levies keep their EXP after disbanding...but do we have any indication that they do so? I would assume that they simply always start with the default value and anything "earned" in their previous season of duty is lost (which is probably not always completely realistic, but less exploitable)

Reactions:
I agree that this could be a problem, if levies keep their EXP after disbanding...but do we have any indication that they do so? I would assume that they simply always start with the default value and anything "earned" in their previous season of duty is lost (which is probably not always completely realistic, but less exploitable)

I'm not sure, but I think you missed a previous DD. My concern isn't about units keeping their xp, but with how that xp gets contributed to the new military traditions. It was pretty heavily implied that the best way to progress along the tradition trees was to raise levies, get them experienced in war, then reap that harvest in the form of military points, kinda like how we do now by having units drill and maintaining high war exhaustion. If levies don't keep their experience when they get disbanded, then I'm not sure how we're supposed to earn any military points given that most nations aren't gonna have standing armies in the beginning of the game.

Reactions:
This actually isn't true. If you use the macrobuilder and press a city building type, it will highlight on the map which cities have room for more buildings.
...and then immediately go away when you selected a a city, requiring multiple clicks to get back to the hilighted state again.

I technically worked, but it did not make a tedious task less tedious because I would want to look at cities before choosing buildings to build.

• 1Like
Reactions:
...and then immediately go away when you selected a a city, requiring multiple clicks to get back to the hilighted state again.

I technically worked, but it did not make a tedious task less tedious because I would want to look at cities before choosing buildings to build.
If you want to build an individual city to a specific design, you can build directly from that city's province screen. If you want to build buildings in many cities as once, you can use the macro builder. Both methods tell you how much space is remaining in the city for additional buildings. I don't see the issue.

Do you even know what it is you want to be able to do?

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you want to build an individual city to a specific design, you can build directly from that city's province screen. If you want to build buildings in many cities as once, you can use the macro builder. Both methods tell you how much space is remaining in the city for additional buildings. I don't see the issue.

Do you even know what it is you want to be able to do?
Yes. I know exactly what I want to do.

As an example, I had an empire that roughly covers Alexander’s from an Egypt game. I had giant piles of money and wanted to build buildings. Finding all of the cities that had space to build was an exercise of tedium. I want a map mode (or equivalent UI) that makes it viable to find cities with space and construct buildings in that situation.

In short, I want the UI to be usable for wide empires. I don’t see why that is hard to understand or an unreasonable ask.

Yes. I know exactly what I want to do.

As an example, I had an empire that roughly covers Alexander’s from an Egypt game. I had giant piles of money and wanted to build buildings. Finding all of the cities that had space to build was an exercise of tedium. I want a map mode (or equivalent UI) that makes it viable to find cities with space and construct buildings in that situation.

In short, I want the UI to be usable for wide empires. I don’t see why that is hard to understand or an unreasonable ask.
You still haven't actually described what it is you want. If you want to be able to build buildings in cities that have space just by looking at the map, like I said that is already possible. I do it all the time using the macrobuilder. There's some other criteria that you want to be able to do along side that, which you haven't actually specified.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You still haven't actually described what it is you want. If you want to be able to build buildings in cities that have space just by looking at the map, like I said that is already possible. I do it all the time using the macrobuilder. There's some other criteria that you want to be able to do along side that, which you haven't actually specified.
As far as I can tell, a map mode that shows available building capacity that doesn't turn off when you click into a city screen.

Reactions:
I want to be able to see where I can build while simultaneously being able to see the city details (demographics, buildings, etc) so that I have enough information to decide what to build.

As far as I can tell, a map mode that shows available building capacity that doesn't turn off when you click into a city screen.
Not just building capacity. Demographics, what buildings are present, etc.

Reactions:
I want to be able to see where I can build while simultaneously being able to see the city details (demographics, buildings, etc) so that I have enough information to decide what to build.

Macro builder shows relevant data, like it shows manpower of a city when building recruitment ground or number or base trade routes when building a market.

Putting in additional data would a bit redundant. Like why would you need to see the research output of the city if your building a tax office.

Reactions:
Macro builder shows relevant data, like it shows manpower of a city when building recruitment ground or number or base trade routes when building a market.

Putting in additional data would a bit redundant. Like why would you need to see the research output of the city if your building a tax office.

I dont know that any of this has been confirmed tobe part of the 2.0 macro builder, but its certainly an expectation, yes.

Though, looking at the 1.5 macro builder, many of the build options show no relevant numbers. like the barracks - it shows expected change in manpower output given the current number of freemen pops in the settlements, ignoring the primary functionality of the barracks that is to increase the local number of freemen over time.

Other building options in the macro builder UI give meaningless static numbers like +0.5 assimilation speed that is always the exact same in every location... its the same way for markets in 1.5. The UI nor the tooltip show no part of the #base trade routes computation.Always just 2.5% . To make it mean something, players need to manually look at how many toga-pops are in each location.

UI elements in macro builder need to show the numbers as part of the whole. for ratio buildings and the like they need to provide some reference to the outcome of the expected local shift in pop-type ratios, be that listing the ratio-formula before and after, or listing how many pops would ultimately promote or demote to the relevant pop type as a result of the ratio-shift.

... There is a lot to improve with the macro builder. I dont expect to be 100% content with it on 2.0 release, but i hope for meaningful improvments on many of these points.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm pretty sure Arheo has and he will probably happily confirm doing so ;) Just don't expect him to share them with you :p

From the " when | Paradox Interactive Forums (paradoxplaza.com) "-thread:
I also would rather focus they get the release right, balance the game with little bugs and a smooth launch rather than a release date next week that crashes and burn. Lets get it right rather than fast :)

Last edited:
Reactions: