• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Syd Dys

Recruit
Dec 18, 2020
Describe your issue
New Game disabled on main menu

What is your game version?
1.13.2-f1-e12

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
No mods

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I have recently installed the game from EPIC Games on a new installation of Windows 10.
When I run the EPIC Games launcher, it runs the Paradox Launcher that then runs Cities: Skylines.
When the game is loaded an error message pops up stating:

An error ocurred
Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]
Details:
No details

The legal disclaimer is loaded, then the "What's New" pop up and when the main menu is displayed the New Game option is disabled (greyed out).

I have attached the output_log file where it looks like there is an issue with the plugins library EOSSDK-Win64-Shipping.dll, and the DxDiag report as well.

I have tried all the solutions provided online (running as administrator, open the game windowed, reinstalling and verifying the installation, reducing the resolution, etc) but nothing worked.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Yes, I run again the launcher and the same error message is shown. The legal disclaimer is shown every time, and the "What's New" pop up as well even if I check the "don't show again" checkbox.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• output_log_.txt
    93,5 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    65,5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
You don't need unreal engine, it's overkill... Just install redistributable from link I posted two comments above. It seems to have what's necessary to run the game.
Actually if you uninstall Unreal Engine game should still work, since redistributables are almost never uninstalled automatically once installed along with any application
Thanks krzychu124, I'll try this later. I was installing unreal engine when I read your post and didn't want to stop the 12 GB download.

Good luck for the rest of the users with this issue.

Thanks. It works, the game launched and I can now properly play after downloading vc_redist.x64.exe.
I think Steam does download and install those requirements for you and Epic doesnt, that might be the cause.

None of this has worked for me and I was able to download unreal engine but it hasn't fixed the greyed out new game when starting and the object error given at the start. I also tried to get the x64 C++ download but it kept giving me an unrecognized error with the download.
I got Cities Skylines from Epic Games and I run Windows 8 which is supposed to support the game.

Last edited:
Please update your video driver from your vendor's website:

If that doesn't help please go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

Good luck!

My video driver is better than the minimum requirements for Cities Skylines already and I still have the error when downloading either (x64) or (x86) of Visual C. I really want to play cities skylines and I now run Windows 8.1.

I have no idea where to go from here in order to try and fix the greyed out new game.

Last edited:
My video driver is better than the minimum requirements for Cities Skylines already
My suggestion was to make sure the driver is the latest one from your vendor. That has nothing to do with whether it is powerful enough or not.

I still have the error when downloading either (x64) or (x86) of Visual C
Just downloading it is not enough, you need to actually run those two installers. Did you do that? Did they run okay, seem to actually do anything?

I focus on these steps because they have fixed this exact problem for I think everyone else affected.

Just downloading it is not enough, you need to actually run those two installers. Did you do that? Did they run okay, seem to actually do anything?
I think I need to clarify myself. I am able to download them but they are never able to run, They start loading and then I get an unknown error half of the way through. I've tried finding a solution for it the last two days, but nothing I do fixes them not being able to run. I think whatever is stopping them from running is the same thing stopping unreal engine from running as well.
There might be something blocking both of those from running on my computer, but I have no idea what It could be.

Last edited:
Go into the uninstall control panel in Windows, and uninstall all instances of Visual C++ 2015/17/19 - there will usually be between 2 and 6 there.

Then again try running those two installers up in post #25. You might also run this Windows repair tool:

Good luck!

Go into the uninstall control panel in Windows, and uninstall all instances of Visual C++ 2015/17/19 - there will usually be between 2 and 6 there.
I have 6 Microsoft Visual C++'s from 2005, 2008, and 2010 that seem to be active and running. Should I be uninstalling these. I don't to damage my computer by not having any of these and then not being able to instal the new ones?

Once I uninstalled the old version the new (x64) and (x86) finally were able to load. I assume this means that they are 'running' due to there not being any other steps afterward. I re-verified cities skylines but the error still came up and the new game button was still greyed out. Is there something else I need to do to them to allow them to 'run' because the unreal engine also still won't launch?

I also have the exact issue

Please update your video driver from your vendor's website:

If that doesn't help please go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

Good luck!

Did this not help you?