• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Idk if this is a policy that can be done. But it would be nice to stop micro setting provinces to not soave promotion
I would like this to be a socio-political decision for the government to take. Or either you allow promotion of slaves or you ban them. But I agree with you that micro managing as now has to go.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I would like this to be a socio-political decision for the government to take. Or either you allow promotion of slaves or you ban them. But I agree with you that micro managing as now has to go.
Indeed. I love my slave plantations to be filled with slaves. Not promote and travel to the cities

• 1Haha
Reactions:

I think its just plainly bad design. A peaceful society that didnt go to war and raid slaves just didnt enslave its own population to keep a 25% ratio. This issue is even more ridiculous when freemen and citizens migrate to place to just be enslaved in mass. There should be no ratio of slaves. If you want slaves raid them. The ones you get are the ones you keep. They wont promote. You want more? Do what Rome did and go more to war to get more slaves.

For this you would have to remake the economy and not make it completely dependant on slaves, so if you dont have slaves you basically starve which is what happens now. Freemen should produce trade goods, just less of them than slaves. And there should be trade goods slaves can't produce like urban trade goods.

But as of now I understand there has to be a mass enslavement of your own population policy to keep the economy and trade going, or else there wouldnt be any surpluses almost except for big expanding empires that enslave a lot. Still I think its bad game design and should be changed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think its just plainly bad design. A peaceful society that didnt go to war and raid slaves just didnt enslave its own population to keep a 25% ratio. This issue is even more ridiculous when freemen and citizens migrate to place to just be enslaved in mass. There should be no ratio of slaves. If you want slaves raid them. The ones you get are the ones you keep. They wont promote. You want more? Do what Rome did and go more to war to get more slaves.

For this you would have to remake the economy and not make it completely dependant on slaves, so if you dont have slaves you basically starve which is what happens now. Freemen should produce trade goods, just less of them than slaves. And there should be trade goods slaves can't produce like urban trade goods.

But as of now I understand there has to be a mass enslavement of your own population policy to keep the economy and trade going, or else there wouldnt be any surpluses almost except for big expanding empires that enslave a lot. Still I think its bad game design and should be changed.

A more complex slave pop mechanic could be something for a future update, but for now, it's somewhat okay, if the devs not focusing immediately on it. Why? Because at least in Rome it was a thing to enslave the own population - just not by the government of course. If you were in debt, but weren't able to pay off your creditor, it was regulated by law, that as solution the debtor can be enslaved by the creditor as long as it took to pay off the loan - this was the ultima ratio, but it happened more often than you would think. Especially in the later centuries of the Roman Empire the rural population was to an high extent enslaved by large landowners, but this was more voluntary than forced. At this time the taxes really were a problem for the many poor people, but as slave you didn't need to pay taxes - so instead of being regularly employed by the landowners, you changed your status to their slave. And the landowners didn't treat these people really worse than before (=they treated you already as employee bad). This behavior caused tax income issues for the Western Roman Empire. The large landowners didn't pay more taxes than before and the majority of people evaded taxes by getting enslaved.

So you could say that the current slave ratio is an abstraction of people getting enslaved, because of debt or voluntary slavery - and promoting of course, getting released from slavery by the slave owner as many slaves of course seeked freedom, if they had a perspective for the time after slavery.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So you could say that the current slave ratio is an abstraction of people getting enslaved, because of debt or voluntary slavery - and promoting of course, getting released from slavery by the slave owner as many slaves of course seeked freedom, if they had a perspective for the time after slavery.

No I know whats the abstraction, but it doesn't make sense. At all. The numbers and ratios are just bonkers. Are the proof is that you dont need to raid slaves to keep your economy afloat, the game enslaves half of your own population for you, which of course didn't happen in real life and Rome kept expanding at all cost to get more slaves. And that's just Rome which is just one out of many countries, most other countries werent that desperate for slaves and were able to sustain themselves with few slaves for the few richpeople, not needing to go to war, and simply buying them in markets, whereas in Rome was truly a national industry with which even low rank soldiers got paid in slaves.

But alas I do agree with you it's not the time to rework that, but when they do adress the economy in a future patch they definitelly tackle that, so I thought it was appropriate to bring it up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
thought it was appropriate to bring it up.

Of course! There is definitely the opportunity someday, that slaves get a rework!

No I know whats the abstraction, but it doesn't make sense.

Then what is the abstraction, if you know it and my explanations are getting ignored by you? :oops: I fully agree that Rome needed to expand to keep the slave numbers high, but the debtor/creditor enslavement was definitely a thing. Therefore it's an explanation for this abstraction - I didn't say it's an good abstraction, but just as background information.

Then what is the abstraction, if you know it and my explanations are getting ignored by you? :oops: I fully agree that Rome needed to expand to keep the slave numbers high, but the debtor/creditor enslavement was definitely a thing. Therefore it's an explanation for this abstraction - I didn't say it's an good abstraction, but just as background information.

There was also the general slave trade which is part of this abstraction, crazy numbers of people were being traded around, Probably in the tens of thousands early in the game, reaching hundreds of thousands by the end of the game, annually. Some of these were existing slaves made during wars, but a lot of them would also have come from all over the region. As a result of war, being sold off as children, being captured by slave raiders (which wierdly is only available to Indian, Greek, and Italic military traditions in game?), piracy, and . Heck, slave raiding was not even restricted to outside of the Roman borders, but happened internally as well, even in Italy.

I don't think this abstraction is *that* bad, though many improvements can be made.

Reactions:
This is really necessary in my opinion.

Slaves were not just foreigners that were worked in the fields. You could end up being enslaved by debtors, wealthy senators, and still be 'roman'.

I hate clicking each region and stopping promotion. We need a mod or a fix for this that allows for doing so nationwide!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Because Slaves do always produce even when unhappy - what is completly fine - it would be overpowered to keep all your slaves slaves because they dont need many food and do always money for you. Theoretically rebellions are not possible if you have just slaves.

The option in territories is still to overpowered, I reduced production also about -100% if promoting slaves is disabled - this option should only be used if you wanna keep a ressource surplus by slaves.