Catholicism is surprisingly good faith :D

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PLrc

Major
Sep 29, 2020
I started to experiment with faiths in CK3 and I have concluded that catholicism is surpsingly well balanced and beneficial religion :D You can
- wage holly wars
- you get the whole conquered land
- you can have as many bastards as you wants and they won't inherit unless you legitimize them
- you can imprison an unfaithful wife
- it's a male dominated faith, hence there is no issues due to equal succesion
- there is basicly no risk of great holly wars against you
- you can usurp titles from another catholic rulers which cover a huge part of Europe.

Actually the only drawback of catholicism I can mention is that you need an approval of divorce. Are there any others in your oppion? Are there any important traits you like to have in your faith? Have you ever created a faith based on catholicism?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I started to experiment with faiths in CK3 and I have concluded that catholicism is surpsingly well balanced and beneficial religion :D You can
- wage holly wars
- you get the whole conquered land
- you can have as many bastards as you wants and they won't inherit unless you legitimize them
- you can imprison unfaithull wife
- there is basicly no risk of great holly wars against you
- you can usurp titles from another catholic rulers which cover a huge part of Europe.

Actually the only drawback of catholicism I can mention is that you need an approval of divorce. Are there any others in your oppion? Are there any important traits you like to have in your faith? Have you ever created a faith based on catholicism?
Being able to land my daughters and use them on the council after my eugenics program leads to a super elite intelligent beings that outpace everyone else. Also making male adultery illegal means hooks are stronger and jailing vassals is easier. Also setting my priests

• 3Like
Reactions:
Being able to land my daughters and use them on the council after my eugenics program leads to a super elite intelligent beings that outpace everyone else.
I never tried hard to ceate a super human being.
Also making male adultery illegal means hooks are stronger and jailing vassals is easier.
A agree. As long as you are the suzerain :D

Also setting my priests
It never bothered me.

Personally I am all for equal succession, as it more than doubles the amount people available for knights/councilors/commanders. It allows you to setup pseudo-viceroyalties by granting titles to infertile women with no families. Additionally, by allowing you to land your daughters directly it makes it a bit quicker to pop Dynasty of Many Crowns as well as earning renown faster.

Not sure what you mean by this line item, since so many of the other Christian faiths are considered Astray because of Ecumenism.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Anybody with a reformed faith and doesn't have a pacifist tenet can holy war. Additionally, anyone with righteous or fundamentalist religious attitude takes land directly when holy warring.

Reactions:
Anybody with a reformed faith and doesn't have a pacifist tenet can holy war. Additionally, anyone with righteous or fundamentalist religious attitude takes land directly when holy warring.
Of the base games faiths, the main ones played are orthodoxy, Catholicism and Islam. Islam keeps those vassals around making conversion of lands harder even if you might want jizya long term

Of the base games faiths, the main ones played are orthodoxy, Catholicism and Islam. Islam keeps those vassals around making conversion of lands harder even if you might want jizya long term

Only a few of the Islamic faiths (Muwalladism the biggest) are pluralist. The rest don't keep the wrong religion vassals on holy wars

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am personally a big fan of Azraqism ( Islamic minority faith ) atm. Warmonger/Struggle/Legalism tenets, so conquest CBs, Equal succession, Polygamy, No bastards, Fundamentalist. Plus access to powerful existing Muslim holy site buildings, and lots of content from the perpetual conflict with the Christians.

Reactions:
- no changing Realm Priest means slow tech & slow conversions
- Offensive War Penalties
- no incest
- no jailing male adulterers
- no jailing gay people
- one-wife policy
- loads of Catholics means fewer targets for Holy War
- GHW is called by Pope, and won't give you land
- you can't be Pope
- no berserkers
- have to eat beavers on Fridays and on Lent
- can't eat people

Don't see much upside to it.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
I prefer pagan religions since you will reform them and fashion them into what you want. Also, tired of assassinating terrible realm priests as a Catholic ruler. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Judaism all the way. Seems like no matter how small you are the diaspora just shows up at your house with an insane array of good stats just like "ay fam, i heard we were retaking the kingdom of David, count me in"

• 3Haha
Reactions:
- no changing Realm Priest means slow tech & slow conversions
- Offensive War Penalties
- no incest
- no jailing male adulterers
- no jailing gay people
- one-wife policy
- loads of Catholics means fewer targets for Holy War
- GHW is called by Pope, and won't give you land
- you can't be Pope
- no berserkers
- have to eat beavers on Fridays and on Lent
- can't eat people

Don't see much upside to it.
Why does bad realm priest mean bad tech?

Reactions:
I'm glad if christianity is a stronger choice compared to custom religions than in CK2. To me it looks like CK3 is more of the same though when it comes to creating your own religion. That is to say extremely overpowered instead of what would be more realistic; a massive challenge and hurdle to overcome. The latter would interest me more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm glad if christianity is a stronger choice compared to custom religions than in CK2. To me it looks like CK3 is more of the same though when it comes to creating your own religion. That is to say extremely overpowered instead of what would be more realistic; a massive challenge and hurdle to overcome. The latter would interest me more.
Sadly, creating your own religion is still usually stronger. Not only do you get to pick better tenets (Catholicism's doctrines are mostly fine unless you want to go full-incest, although the dependence on RNG for a decent realm priest can be problematic, but the tenets are extremely underwhelming), but you will almost certainly have higher fervor (since the biggest determinant of that is the size of your religion; larger religions tend to trend downwards until a heresy outbreak shoots them back up again, while smaller religions are more likely to get the "virtuous priest" event pushing their fervor up), making conversion easy and reducing the risk of heresy outbreaks.

The only advantage is that you won't have to worry about being Crusaded as a Catholic (or other ecumenical Christian such as Orthodox or Coptic), that you start out with plenty of marriage partners (most of whom allow female inheritance if you want to play inheritance games) and that you start pre-reformed (so can skip the need for holding 3 holy sites). Even your holy sites are fairly underwhelming for the bonuses they give. They left out the foreign missionary events, so you can't even convert the pagans around you to your organized faith without conquering them, meaning you are going to be stuck with Viking raiders in 867 until the end of the game unless you launch a personal crusade into Scandinavia. Did I mention that Vikings in particular get crazy combat bonuses with berserkers who have a stupidly high chance of killing all your knights?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The only advantage is that you won't have to worry about being Crusaded as a Catholic (or other ecumenical Christian such as Orthodox or Coptic), that you start out with plenty of marriage partners (most of whom allow female inheritance if you want to play inheritance games) and that you start pre-reformed (so can skip the need for holding 3 holy sites).
Catholicism is unreformed? :O

Why does bad realm priest mean bad tech?
Because your bishop gives you learning. But I never bothered with it.

Catholicism is unreformed? :O
He said "pre-reformed," like in pre-mixed, pre-cut, etc. In other words, the opposite of unreformed. :)

Because your bishop gives you learning. But I never bothered with it.
Only if you have the Learn of the Job perk, number 7 in the Scholar perk tree.

• 1Like
Reactions:

The opposite, in such case you have female heirs getting titles from the partition, but you can't grant them land beforehand to actually stop them from messing with the inheritance.

Reactions: