• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #47 - Happy Holidays!

Howdy all!

What a wild ride this entire year has been so far! We launched the game, brought the Ruler Designer to a new generation of CK fans, created a wholesome and welcoming community, and had a ton of fun.

While there is still a bit of time left in the year, we will be following in the footsteps of the long time-honored Paradox tradition of taking some time off around the holidays to give the teams a chance to recuperate and relax. This will also make sure that we are able to continue bringing you first class content in the new year! That being said, most of the team will be out spending time enjoying their holidays from this week until sometime early January 2021.

Without all of you in the Community, we would not be able to live our dreams of bringing Crusader Kings to life and share with you all. So, from the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU for the wonderful memories during a truly trying year and may we see you all again in the new year.

There won’t be a Dev Diary until Mid-January at the very earliest, so keep an eye out for news on when they will return after the new year.

Happy Holidays to all!

• 117Like
  • 22Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Have a great Christmas and thanks for your hard work. I can't wait to see the new content for Crusader Kings 3.

*God

What you wrote means "God Christmas!" which does have a humorous sound, though. :)
Maybe he's Danish and typing phonetically - leave him alone. ;)

• 4Haha
Reactions:
No, I'm Finn. To be honest, I should speak fluent Swedish, i's actually our other official language...

I mean the Netherlands have 3 official languages, but I only speak one of them. It's quite common to not speak official languages outside of the 'primary' language of your country if that primary language was the one you were raised with. Heck, I lived basically next to Frisia, and went to school in Frisia for several years, and I never learned a word of Frisian. (the other one was only recognized as an actual language a few years ago, not that I expect I'd have learned it in school otherwise)

Edit: I like that someone felt the need to respectfully disagree with the fact that it's not all that uncommon for people to not speak secondary languages of their country.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
God Jul!
(merry christmas)

Christmas-Pagan-300x300.jpg

May Odin (santa) bring you many gifts;)

The sun have turned (Jul) and we go against lighter days:)

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wasn't Santa Claus derived from Saint Nicholas (aka Sinterklaas in Dutch)?

That said, Sinterklaas seems to have drawn inspiration from Odin in his depictions... I do believe Saint Nicholas is commonly agreed to have existed as a person though.
Interesting topic, however somewhat complicated.

I think the christians was looking for a replacement for the Yulefather when germanic peoples got christianised. As such a christian saint replaced the original. However old traditions die hard and you got an celebrated hybrid.

Quick ex from wiki:
Prior to Christianization, the Germanic peoples (including the English) celebrated a midwinter event called Yule (Old English geola or giuli).[21] With the Christianization of Germanic Europe, numerous traditions were absorbed from Yuletide celebrations into modern Christmas.[22] During this period, supernatural and ghostly occurrences were said to increase in frequency, such as the Wild Hunt, a ghostly procession through the sky.The leader of the wild hunt is frequently attested as the god Wodan (Norse Odin), bearing (among many names) the names Jólnir, meaning "Yule figure", and Langbarðr, meaning "long-beard", in Old Norse.

Wodan's (Odins) role during the Yuletide period has been theorized as having influenced concepts of St. Nicholas in a variety of facets, including his long white beard and his gray horse for nightly rides (compare Odin's horse Sleipnir) or his reindeer in North American tradition.[24] Folklorist Margaret Baker maintains that "the appearance of Santa Claus or Father Christmas, whose day is the 25th of December, owes much to Odin, the old blue-hooded, cloaked, white-bearded Giftbringer of the north, who rode the midwinter sky on his eight-footed steed Sleipnir, visiting his people with gifts. Odin, transformed into Father Christmas, then Santa Claus, prospered with St Nicholas and the Christchild, became a leading player on the Christmas stage."

Reactions:
Hey everyone, I won't be able to send this tomorrow, so I wish you all a happy new year and may we do better than this sad 2020 the world has experienced. Thank you all Paradox staff for putting such hard work into making these great games that allow us to enjoy things we only dreamed. Have a safe and good year passage.

• 1Like
Reactions: