Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #67: Your Galactic Empire

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It'll be like playing single maps, except the maps are all interconnected and you can carry over units, tech, relations and bonuses, plus evolve your leader between maps. So almost like a campaign, just with greater control in what you do in your next mission.

Yeah I understand it mechanic wise, but I wonder if it will be to my liking. Seems like a huge time investment, so it needs to be enjoyable to keep you going.

This is the final reason i bought the premium yesterday, was thinking about buyin it for a while now, but this finally triggered me, thanks, iam really looking forward to this!

I am really enjoying the galaxy mode you have done a fantastic job it really adds a new layer that got me playing it with a new enthusiasm. I love the planetary trait so much it adds so much flavor but the galaxy mode also seems to lack the setting which I always apricated as being able to change climates of the planets. I assume this was done for balancing purposes, however seeing this is a single player only feature (at least if I am reading correctly) were there other reasons that settings were removed?

Ok so I was a bit surprised about finishing a planet in GE...

I maxed out my Heroes as much as I could, got such great loadouts for them becasue I thought that they will at least keep their mods... but when you're done with a map everything is gone, your saves included so I can't even go back :/ And my heroes advanced by ONE level as a reward...

This is a bit underwhelming. Yeah, ofc it makes sense from a balancing perspective, but could've they have done it so that at least your commanders keeps his loadout? I mean c'mon :D And I had such cool heroes to boot. Seems the strategy here is to breeze through the maps, grab those Relics and be done with it...

Ok, just dropping by to say that I really enjoy playing GE - kudos devs!

Collecting relics, unusual objectives and planetary conditions plus the fact that you can mix and match various stuff make for a mode I want to keep playing. I especilly like the fact you can recruit units you normally have a slim chance of getting as rewrds or otherwise not easy to acquire: like Worms, Voradons (and the Savage Tyranodon ofc!) or Eater of Dead. Although I probably will reach a point in which I won't have so much drive to keep playing it, but so far I conquered some 7 planets and still have the urge to keep on playing.

You guys nailed it with this mode.

I'd like to suggest an idea: Let me designate my empire defenders (heroes with skills, mods, relic, grail config...) so someone with about similar xp or planet count could try to invade my empire and face an AI Version of my empire. Not real-time multiplayer battle, basically it would just be a buffed KI with my name and layout on it, but it would give me the feeling of us all playing together in a giant galaxy.
I have a million ideas how to expand this. And i'd love to coop-multiplayer battle empires of other players as well.

I also I wonder if an option to "store" Renown bonuses choices as templates would be possible... I know you usually adapt choices to a specific map, but let's face it - some things are good enough to take them on most planets :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
I also I wonder if an option to "store" Renown bonuses choices as templates would be possible... I know you usually adapt choices to a specific map, but let's face it - some things are good enough to take them on most planets :p

Newb here looking for advice. What are your go-tos?

So far, Dvar Prospectors and Assembly Vorpal Snipers are my immediate gotos (esp. Prospectors), and for policies, probably the Dvar one that gives +30 production but -4 happiness, and the policy that gives +1 influence/+15 gold for each faction you're at peace with. Purification Field for mod.

The Grumpy Buddha
I take Prospectors whenever I can, free stuff is always good. Elite Snipers I mentioned already. Probably Static Buildup Module to go with them. Mark of the Dark Sun as it works with probably every unit (and is especially good for commanders) and +20% dmg is rare for a Tier I mod. And Phasewalk Modulator as so many Tier I units like Frenzied, Aspirants or Raiders benefit from it and the "pass through objects" thing as they are not that fast to begin with. Ofc regen/heal mods or tactical/strategic operations are always good, especially for factions that have a problem with it. From tactical operations I also like to take Arc Discharge as it has a wide area effect due to it jumping, and most importantly Staggers. Or Replicating Restoration as it jumps and removes debuffs. When it comes to techs/doctrines Scavangers is pretty solid for free stuff. Pre-Battle Predictions gives 1 stack of Precognition. Echo Protocols doctrine is good as it boosts economy (although you need to unlock it first by investing in Voidtech XP).

I focused on the cheaper stuff that you can unlock early on. I'm still figuring out what works well, but when it comes to units I like Elite Paragon Snipers (it's a must as they are strong an cheap to spawn) and Prospectors as I mentioned, but sometimes instead of Prospector I like to take something from Tier III (like the Voradon for example) and Tier IV (Crystal Worm is pretty good with its jumping attack and the fact that you can buff it up with Arc channel mods). So if you don't have access to Snipers, you can skip them, go for Prospector and something Tier III & IV. If I unlock Eater of the Dead or Blackguard Tyrant at some point those will be my go-to Tier IV. The fact that you can so easily spam Tier IV units is rad (getting 400 Renown is not that hard with "destroy spawners" quests and the like).

PS: Keep in mind I'm not someone who plays the game as extensively as some people here so maybe they will have better advice.

Last edited:
Actually I have one other suggestion for improving GE. Imo the mods simply cost too much Renown. I know some mods can be overkill with some factions, but paying 150-250 R for a mod when you can for example buy a whole army of units for this much makes your choice pretty easy... plus the fact you need to pay for teh unlock and some Doctrines are also really good early game. Imo the problem with this system is that there are simply to many things that take precedence over others. In one mission I was attacked by AI very early due to it being at war with me. Without insta buying some Snipers I would probably be a goner...

Imo they should cost like 50-100 for Tier I, 150 for Tier II etc...

Eh, Mods are fair. You unlock them to be built permanently, and some mods are extremly good (accelerated metabolism, Tenents of Tranquility, the network controller one if you pick autonom units).
I have more of a problem with weapons and vehicles. Yes, you don't need to pay for them, but in return they are not unlocked. If I want all of my 4 Heroes to wield Malady, I need to pay 1200 renown! I rarely get over 2k renown, so I would have barely renown leftover.

Regarding the unit unlock - you first have to pay 150/250/450 to unlock them as well. You merely have an option to then purchase additional units for half of that. If anything, I would rather like to have the same system for mods, giving the possibility of purchasing a mod to be moved to the arsenal by paying half of the price again.

On a sidenote: I noticed that purchased tactical/strategic operations as well as Mods have their price removed, but that is not the case for purchased doctrines. Is that intended, and if yes, for what reason?

Regarding the unit unlock - you first have to pay 150/250/450 to unlock them as well. You merely have an option to then purchase additional units for half of that.

Well, once unlocked you can produce them in your colonies. You actually don't need to pay with Renown for them from that point onwards unless you want to quickly muster an army...

Yes, thats the same as the mods. Once you unlock them, you can equip them on any unit. They just cost more cosmite than the units, but if you were to unlock a T3 or T4 unit, it too would cost cosmite to produce....

Yes, thats the same as the mods. Once you unlock them, you can equip them on any unit. They just cost more cosmite than the units, but if you were to unlock a T3 or T4 unit, it too would cost cosmite to produce....

Elite Paragon Snipers cost 35 Energy. You def don't need to buy them with Renown once unlocked, unless you need to ready an army fast (like a sudden AI attack). But yeah, flushing 40 Cosmite for a Tier IV (plus upkeep) can be hard on the economy...

Wait, you don't get all mods avaible through progression?
I have max level in Syndicate, but I can't load out the 25% crit for indentured. I do have the Control Collars, though....