• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So perhaps it will be possible to "milk" that trade post every so often?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So perhaps it will be possible to "milk" that trade post every so often?
Oh yes it will be, in spite of Phillipe's disdain for command he is perfectly happy using coercion to strengthen himself... Thank you so much for your input!

Reactions:
January 1084
January 1084

The keep in Melun was crowded, and noisy from the many people in the hall. Though the night was young, some were already drunk, like Phillipe’s mother Anna, who had been brought to her chambers after passing out at her seat. Phillipe himself had drank a decent amount of wine, and he felt flushed with warmth that the drink had gave him. All in all, the wine and the company made him feel jovial, along with the reasons for holding the feast in the first place. Ingrid clapped enthusiastically as she watched a troop of firebreathers perform bellow the dais, and some distance away from the other tables,”They are excellent, perhaps we could make use of them in battle.”
Phillipe shook his head,”No my dear, my cousin Robrecht says they would be too impractical, the materials needed are too expensive, and an arrow can kill a man as easily as fire.”
Ingrid nodded,”That is true.”
She then placed a hand on her belly, chuckling as their unborn child kicked,”He is excited my love.”
“Good, let’s hope that he is not too rowdy once he comes into this world, lest he prove troublesome to his brother.”
Ingrid smirked,”Yes, but I will make sure that he behaves.”
Phillipe chuckled,”Of that I am sure Ingrid. “
Anna of Kiev, January 1084.PNG

King Phillipe January 1084.PNG

Queen Ingrid January 1084.PNG

Duke Robrecht of Flanders, January 1084.PNG

Fireeaters at feast, January 1084.PNG

As Phillipe took a sip of his wine, he heard a deep voice muse to his right,”I hope that your sister and I may be similarly blessed.”
He set the cup down, and looked to the right, where his brother by law Guilhem sat next to his half-sister, Adele, smiling,”I am sure you will be, you are both young, and have plenty of time to give me nephews.”
Guilhem smirked,”Ah. The sooner the better I say.” He then turned to Adele and planted a kiss on her cheek, which caused her to turn scarlet,”Of course husband, though perhaps we should not speak of such things publicly.”
The young man nodded his head reluctantly,”If that is what you wish.”
I hope that her prudishness does not cause him to stray from his vows.
Guilhem de Poitou, January 1084.PNG

Adele de Vexin Amiens, January 1084.PNG

Phillipe tried to banish the unhappy thought from his mind, but was unsuccessful, the thought of Adele, his sister and eldest daughter’s closest companion, being hurt by her husband, even in a way that wasn’t physical, darkened his thoughts. Still he sought to distract himself somehow, and turned to where his stepbrother, Simon de Vexin-Amiens quietly sat,”What do you think of my efforts in Iberia, Simon?”
The man finished chewing some beef,”I heartily approve of them, you have managed to beat back the infidel time and time again. So much so that the others grow nervous for their power.”
Phillipe was intrigued by this, and asked,”Why is that brother?”
Simon rose an eyebrow,“Have you not heard? The Seljuks in Persia have been overthrown by his Emirs, and Persia is no longer united under one Turk.”
Phillipe smiled at this,”That is well, as it will give the Greeks in Constantinople some breathing room.”
The other man nodded,”The infidels also fight amongst themselves, the Abbasid Caliph is troubled by the fact that the Shia Fatimids have taken their holy city of Mecca, and has urged the Sunni to wage what they call Jihad.”
“What is that?”
“Honestly I’m not entirely sure, to me it seems to be a Holy War on a much larger scale.”
“And you think they will focus their efforts on the Shia?”
“Yes I think they will, after all they seem to be their most immediate concern.”
Phillipe nodded,”Good then, perhaps my Kingdom will see a respite from war.”
Simon de Vexin-Amiens, January 1084.PNG

Seljuk collapse January 1084.PNG

Middle East Map, January 1084.PNG

Caliph Muhammad Janaury 1084.PNG

Renewed Jihad, January 1084.PNG

“I hope so Phillipe. Perhaps God rewards you for your efforts. France sees peace and prosperity, while you have your fourth child along the way, I can hardly see it as anything else.”
The king grinned,”Good, it is well that God appreciates this land, the eldest daughter of the holy mother church, that will do whatever it takes to follow his will.”
Simon beamed at this, and raised his cup, exclaiming,”I propose a toast: To France, and our august King Phillipe, who will continue to lead us to glory in the decades to come.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Queen Ingrid, how did such a sweet girl acquire the nickname "affable"? Can she be allowed to help terrorists (rebels) remember and reveal their plots? Simon (dip 3) explains foreign affairs. Can he find the English Channel?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Queen Ingrid, how did such a sweet girl acquire the nickname "affable"? Can she be allowed to help terrorists (rebels) remember and reveal their plots? Simon (dip 3) explains foreign affairs. Can he find the English Channel?
I must say, that it is one of the most baffling nicknames I've seen in a while... My guess is that(in the story at least) it's meant to either be a sarcastic dig at her formidable nature, or celebrates the loving relationship she has with her husband.. She will continue to have her moments in the future, though thankfully things are calm at the moment. Simon for his part is very similar to his stepbrother in his religious leanings: obessed with the notion that the Muslims, if allowed to take more of Iberia, may threaten France itself.. Thank you so much for your insights!

So will the Muslimes manage a counter-stroke to Christianity.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So will the Muslimes manage a counter-stroke to Christianity.
Perhaps, they will certainly try.. Whether they're successful is another matter entirely... Thank you very much!

Reactions:
July 1084
July 1084

They all stood in the Cathedral of St. Denis, as rain pelted the roof of the great building. Still, while the rain likely could drown those too stupid to seek shelter, it would not drown out the sound of his newborn son’s shrill cries. Said cries only lasted for a moment, as Ingrid hushed the child and pressed little Louis against her chest. The French King smiled as he looked on, a second son, essential not only for my own happiness, but the safety of the succession. Of course, he did not wish for any harm to befall his elder boy, but he knew that it was entirely possible that he could either die young or have only daughters. He looked on as Ingrid passed their son over to Berenguié, the Count of Gévaudan, who he chose to be the boy’s godfather, an inoffensive choice. Indeed, weeks before the ceremony he had faced a very real dilemma, for the other candidates were either his brother Hugues, or Robrecht, the Duke of Flanders. For obvious reasons his wife would have berated him if he had picked Hugues, while Phillipe was reluctant to give his Flemish cousin any more influence than he had already enjoyed. The bald man smiled as he took the infant into his arms, and walked over to where Cardinal Gilles, who held the Bishopric of Fontevraud-l’Abbaye and was known for his virtuous conduct, a good, godly man. Soon enough the Cardinal held the Prince in his arms and brought him to the basin of holy water. After murmuring some Latin hymns, he took a small handful of the water, and washed it over the Prince’s face, who squalled in response.
Prince Louis, birth and baptism choice, July 1084.PNG

Count Berenguiue, made godfather of Prince Louis, July 1084.PNG

The Duke of Normandy, who stood next to Phillipe, motioned towards the scene, and murmured softly,”He has a strong cry.”
Phillipe nodded at this,”Yes, though let’s hope he does not prove too headstrong.”
“Indeed, it would be unbecoming for him to outshine his elder brother.”
“That is why I keep my younger brother at an arm’s length. I love him dearly, but he presumes too much because of our relation. Which brings me to why you are here right now.”
William rose an eyebrow,”And why is that?”
“I think you are a good role model, the foremost man in the realm besides myself, yet, despite your accolades, you are loyal. I wish for Louis to be the same as you when he is of age. So I would like you to educate him, should you be amiable to the idea.”
The Duke stood silent for a moment, intently watching as the Prince was placed back into the Queen’s arms. Finally, he replied,”It would be an honor your majesty.”
Phillipe nodded,”Good.”
Duke William II of Normandy, July 1084.PNG

Duke William II of Normandy is educator of Prince Louis, July 1084.PNG

Baptism of Prince Louis, July 1084.PNG

He soon looked on to where his older children stood, by his half-sister Adele and her own parents. Emma for her part stood close to her aunt, holding a small hat that she had sewed for her youngest brother, as she wished to give it to him once the ceremony concluded. Prince Charles stood quietly by his step grandfather the Duke of Picardie, beaming at the man, he has a high opinion of the man as I do, I hope that this will help him find allies within the realm.
Indeed, Duke Raoul was well connected, not only as stepfather to the King and educator of Prince Charles, but through his daughter’s marriages. His eldest daughter, Alix-Adele was Countess of Vermandois, married to Herbert, the Karling Count who ruled that region. His second eldest Adelaide meanwhile was both Dowager Duchess of Champagne, and, for several years now, has been Countess of Melgueil through her second marriage. The greatest coup of course, was the marriage between Phillip’s half-sister, Adele and Guilhém de Poitou, the heir to the largest inheritance in the realm, other than the crown itself. The Princess Anne was nuzzled up to her grandmother and namesake The Duchess of Picardie, who Phillipe knew would be a comforting presence in such overwhelming jubilation.
Princess Emma July 1084.PNG

Prince Charles, July 1084.PNG

Princess Anne, July 1084.PNG

As the ceremony was all but over, and Ingrid walked towards him with their youngest in her arms Phillipe smirked, Those who thought her incapable of bearing sons should feel very foolish.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Ah, a son. A very important thing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, a son. A very important thing.
It certainly is in a Kingdom that practices salic law.... In a way a second son also helps secure Phillipe's legitimacy as a ruler, as he's provided stability to the dynasty.... Let's just say that Louis will certainly have an interesting life... Thank you very much!

Reactions:
January 1086
January 1086

“Sire, the situation is dire.”
Phillipe sighed at the words of Cardinal Raymond, not bothering to hide his disdain for this,”First it was the heretics and now it’s the Occitans. Perhaps I should see both burn.”
The Duke of Flanders chuckled, trying to bring levity to the council meeting,”We would have to defeat them first milord.”
Duke Etienne of Champagne rose an eyebrow,”Which may be easier said than done… The heretics have ambushed and slaughtered several groups of levies, it would seem that they hope to whittle us down to the point of defeat.”
The King’s stepfather then interjected.”And, even if we do defeat the heretics, we will have lost some men in the process, making us weaker in the face of the southerners.”
The Duke of Normandy took a small sip of wine,”Still, things are not hopeless.”
The Duke of Champagne scoffed at this,”Oh yes, you and all of your military accomplishments. Tell me old man, how is England doing? I here the Saxons would prefer even the barbarous Godwins to you.”
William rolled his eyes in response,”I saw that England was a lost cause, because it was. This is not. Might I remind you, boy, that it was I and the heroic lady Jeanne who crushed the Aftasids, not you.”
King Phillipe grunted,”Yes, that is enough Champagne. Now, Raoul, I would like you to draft a missive summoning the King of the Bretons to assist us against both groups of rebels.”
Duke Robrecht then asked,”What of our army? Who would you have lead it?”
Phillipe turned towards the sulking red-haired man,”Duke Etienne shall lead it. I think it a good opportunity for some glory, as will as a way to prove that you are still a good leader of men. What you say you to this?”
The Duke’s demeanor drastically changed at this, anger replaced with gratitude,”I would be honored to do so my King. I vow that the heretics will be utterly crushed, or that I will die trying.”
Phillipe laughed at this from his seat,”Let us hope that it does not come to that, though I am confident that you will succeed.”
The other men sat quietly, some with grave looks of concern, and others looking hopeful, and Phillipe cleared his throat,”This session of the royal council is dismissed, you all can do as you wish now.”
Cardinal Raymond of Reims, January 1086.PNG

Occitan revolt, January 1086.PNG

King of the Bretons called into war against heretics, January 1086.PNG

Ambushed levies at St.Agnitan January 1086.PNG

Ambushed levies at blois, Janaury 1086.PNG

Phillipe Capet was on his knees in the chapel, the sole occupant of the room. The cool metal of the crucifix chilled his hands, while his stomach grumbled. Illuminated by candlelight he had be in prayer for hours now, and had skipped the usual supper with his family. Ingrid was, no doubt angry, but this, the fate of his kingdom was more important,”Lord, give my men the strength to defeat the heretic, and rebel, both of whom wish to topple the natural order that you have created. Give them the zeal of John the Baptist, the courage of Saint Catherine and the wisdom of the Lady Jeanne, of whom I have no doubt is in heaven, urging you to strike down the heretic and rebel alike.” (1) As this final prayer concluded, Phillipe heard a strange noise from outside the windows of the chapel. The flapping of wings, followed by harsh cawing, These crows must be a sign from God... Of death, but of whom? My loyal subjects, or my enemies?

(1) Saint Catherine of Alexandria

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Angry Ingrid, Not Good! For whom does the raven call, tis the question.
Yes, Ingrid certainly is formidable, though thankfully she mostly directs her energy towards Phillipe's enemies... As for the crows, we will have to see.... Thank you very much!!!

Reactions:
June 1086
June 1086

The King of France had a small smirk on his lips as the courier that relayed the news left the room. Phillipe mused to himself, Finally, some good news. Indeed, there had been a bit of misfortune recently, for the King’s nephew, Robert, who was now four summers could barely utter a word, and was increasingly sickly, staying in his rooms due to terrible fevers. Phillipe felt a bit guilty over this as the fact that his brother, and sister-in-law were second cousins may have caused his ill fortune. Still, he reminded himself that he arranged the match to keep the peace in France, and they otherwise seemed happy. Fortunately, Hugues and Helie’s other sons, Henri and the infant Hamelin, were in good health. Phillipe set the letters back onto the desk in the study, for he knew the Duke of Champagne would return to court soon, preening like a peacock at his victories. As he did so Phillipe thought back to his night of prayer months ago, it turned out that God hand answered his prayers, and the crows were indeed an omen, that his enemies were to be crushed. Crushed they were, as in battle against the Occitans and heretics the Duke of Champagne prevailed, with only minimal casualties. I must remember to do penance to thank God for this triumph. Still, Phillipe knew it would be in poor taste to keep the rest of court waiting, and so he pushed open the door, ready to put on a display of kingly power.
Hamelin Capet, 1, June 1086.PNG

Battle of chateudun, june 1086.PNG

Battle of Melugiel, June 1086.PNG

As he made his way through the hall, a familiar looking teen joined him, and he gave him a broad smile,”Ah, Benoit, I trust that everything is order?”
The teen bobbed his head,”Yes sire, the Duke of Champagne is to come through the doors just as you take your seat, with the captured traitors in tow.”
Phillipe clasped the boy’s shoulder,”That’s a good lad, now go and tell the Duke of Champagne that I am ready for his entrance.”
Young Benoit barely hid his happiness at being singled out, a smile tugging at the edge of his face,”Of course your majesty.”
Phillipe had in fact taken a liking to the boy, even though his father was the lecherous Count that Ingrid had despised. Still, Phillipe took some pity on Benoit, his mother died when he was just a toddler, leaving him a decent inheritance in coin but little else, while his father, the Count of Bourbon had never met the boy, only acknowledging him to showcase his supposed virility. So, the boy had more or less served as page to the King, and Philippe had ensured the boy received a through education. He also he hoped, that should he prove competent, that he could become a knight in his service. The king had already found the boy a betrothed of decent standing as well, Yolande, the only child of his chosen regent, Etienne, who stood to inherit her father’s considerable wealth.
Benoit de Bourbon, June 1086.PNG

Yolande, June 1086.PNG

Etienne, June 1086.PNG

As the young man made his way through the opposite end of the hallway, Phillipe opened the door leading to the dais, and as he walked to his throne, he heard the murmurs of the crowd below, perhaps to be expected, it is royal court after all, but it underlined the uncertainty many must have felt due to the rebellions. Ingrid was already in her own throne, below and slightly to the left of his, and she winked at him as he sat down Later my dear… Within seconds of him doing so, the grand doors at the end of the main hall flung open, with at least a dozen men emerging, foremost among them being The Duke of Champagne, who walked forward slowly, with his retainers by his side. He wore leathers and a look indicating that he was quite pleased with himself. After walking a few paces, Champagne and the other men halted, and Phillipe welcomed him in with a cheerful lilt to his voice while motioning for silence from those in attendance,”Etienne of Champagne, I must congratulate you on your glorious victories, you have done us a great service through your heroism.”
The Duke bowed,”Thank you your majesty,” He then motioned to two men in chains in the middle of the group,”These vile creatures, the heretic and rebel, have transgressed against your law and God’s laws, so I bring them to here, and they are now ready to answer for their trespasses against you.”
Philippe nodded slightly,”And they shall do so. The heretic Raynaud shall be burned at the stake, a fine preparation for the fires of hell, while the traitor Bertrand will be hung by the neck until dead, sentences to be carried out at once!”
The Duke seemed pleased,”Very well my king, these scum shall soon by disposed of.” The duke then motioned to the guards, who manhandled both men, Raynaud, the heretic mewling out for mercy, while the Occitan leader Bertrand was in cold silence. The King of France smiled as the two were hauled out, with members of the crowd hurling insults at the condemned. I should hope this will be warning enough to any others who seek to disturb the peace.

Bertrand de vabres, hanged, June 1086.PNG

Raynaud, burning June 1086.PNG

At had been hours since the executions of the rebel leaders, and Phillipe sat at the dining table in his private apartments, enjoying a private meal with his wife, half sister and brother-by-law, Guilhem. As he brought some duck pie to his mouth Adele asked,”Why did you have to have them killed, would a show of mercy not have been better?”
Adele de Vexin Amiens, June 1086.PNG

Phillip rose an eyebrow as he chewed, and his wife exclaimed,”Because they were traitors to the realm and deserved to die!”
After swallowing his food Phillipe raised his hand calmly,”I can explain this to Adele, Ingrid.”
He then turned to his half-sister,”Adele, my Queen speaks the truth. Not just that, but if I let them go with their lives, they could rise up again, or others like them will think me weak, and then we will never have peace. Do you think that boy of yours would be safe if they prevailed, or if others rise up?” He shook his head,”He would not… They would murder your son, so that they can more easily hold onto the lands that would one day be his. So, you must see this is for the best.”
Adele replied quietly”You are right brother. What you have done is for the best.”
Florenc de Poitou I, June 1086.PNG

Phillipe then narrowed his eyes at her, and seized her hand gripping it tightly against the table, as she gasped, he hissed,”One more thing dear sister… I am the King, it would be in your interest to never question my decisions again, or you may find yourself in a much more uncomfortable position than this.”
He released his grip, and she averted her eyes,”Forgive me for speaking out of turn your majesty, I will never forget my place again…”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Tis the season to roast chestnuts over an open fire. Would a second stake not prove more useful than a hangman's rope?
Haha, perhaps that true! Thank you!

November 1086
November 1086

The chill in the air was a bracing one, and Phillipe shivered as his mount sauntered on the dirt path. He was however, willing to bear some discomfort for this. As the hooves of the horses thudded against the ground he turned to the older man to his right,”Tell me, Duke William, does the betrothal between Prince Charles and your granddaughter still stand?”
The Duke of Normandy rose an eyebrow,”I do not see why it would not. Yes, I am worried about the future of my lands and family, especially after poor William died years ago…” The man paused to blink away tears,”Which is why I still think that Matheode marrying Charles is for the best, as if she does inherit Normandy while married to your son, both she and the duchy will be safe.”
Hoping to perhaps lift the Duke’s spirits Phillipe murmured,”I must congratulate you on the birth of your grandson. I hope that he brings you some happiness.”
The Duke gave him a weak smile and said,”Thank you Phillipe. Yes, little Rayner has, I think he will grow up to be a great man. How fares the Queen? I hear that she is pregnant again.”
The King nodded,”She is well and is in good spirits. In truth I was somewhat surprised when she told me, I thought that Louis would be our youngest.”
The Duke of Normandy chuckled,”I think you will find that life often proceeds in a most unexpected way. As you can see it is not always in a good way, so you must be prepared for unexpected tragedies.”
Phillipe felt a chill run down his spine as he considered these words… Surely God would not punish him by taking his wife or children away from him? Still, he thought of the tired old man he was speaking with, he was hardworking and hardly sinful, and yet God decided that William’s wife, and three of his children should predecease him. Phillipe tried to banish such dark thoughts from his mind, he endeavored to take young Anne riding tomorrow, as she had demanded that he do so for several days.
Duke William II of Normandy, November 1086.PNG

William de Normandie, death, November 1086.PNG

Phillipe I, November 1086.PNG

Ingrid, fifth pregnancy, November 1086.PNG

Spent time with Anne, November 1086.PNG

Despite the gnawing nervousness within him of his family’s ultimate fate, Phillipe gave the Duke a warm farewell,”I am glad that the betrothal still stands, Duke William, after all, your grandson could stand to be brother-in-law to the future King of France.”
The Duke gave him a small bow before riding off,”Of course sire, you and your kin will always be able to count on the loyalty of Normandy, which my house is happy to provide.”
As the old man rode off, Phillipe hoped that this was true, and not just empty plattitudes... Still, he knew he could at least count on the loyalty of William himself, though he would have to see if his descendants would prove themselves loyal.

Last edited:
The Bastard seems to have lost the fire that prodded him into challenging for the English throne. The death of your children, especially adult, will extinguish many flames. William seems to be a very loyal vassal, not even a rabble rouser in France. Thank you for updating and may you and your loved ones have a safe and joyous holiday season. Enjoy the Solstice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Bastard seems to have lost the fire that prodded him into challenging for the English throne. The death of your children, especially adult, will extinguish many flames. William seems to be a very loyal vassal, not even a rabble rouser in France. Thank you for updating and may you and your loved ones have a safe and joyous holiday season. Enjoy the Solstice.
It's really tragic, even if it is covnvient from a player's perspective... To go from a man who himself King of England to a defeated old man, crippled by loss is a very rough downturn.. Thank you so much for your kind words, I hope that you and your loved ones are safe as well, and have a good holiday season!

Reactions: