• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DanielPrates

Lt. General
108 Badges
Mar 17, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
Damn, it's hard to get those institutions around these parts huh? I don't mind being behind when everybody is (say playing as Ming or whatever) but being so close to Europe and being such a backwater, its really a problem.

I am lead to understand that having high-development provinces, preferably in coastal areas, is the best way to get institutions to spread. There is an edict too. But what else am I missing to really supercharge those institutions?!

Embracement cost depends on autonomy modified development of provinces without the institution present (2.5 ducats per 1 dev). If you have a lot of Siberian land it not only counts for 10% with trade company autonomy floor, but also doesn't have much development to begin with. You can probably embrace stuff after it spreads through Muscovy's starting lands (unless you have conquered some development rich land somewhere). Orthodox also has an icon for reducing embracement cost and speeding the spread.

Embracement cost depends on autonomy modified development of provinces without the institution present (2.5 ducats per 1 dev). If you have a lot of Siberian land it not only counts for 10% with trade company autonomy floor, but also doesn't have much development to begin with. You can probably embrace stuff after it spreads through Muscovy's starting lands (unless you have conquered some development rich land somewhere). Orthodox also has an icon for reducing embracement cost and speeding the spread.

Just to make sure I got it: I have to aim at highly developed provinces with LOW autonomy and try to develop them even further, right?

Just to make sure I got it: I have to aim at highly developed provinces with LOW autonomy and try to develop them even further, right?
Since you say you play as Muscovy; it's to be expected that institutions will take some time to get to you, but there is no need for developing land. You just gonna be a bit behind due to geographical position, but it's nothing major. Generally just don't wait for it to spread into low development lands of like steppes and embrace once it is in your better developed Novgorod/Capital area (generally the west).

Also once a neighbor has the institution, but you don't; make sure your make their opinion be above 0 to get "friendly province has X" spread modifier.

Reactions:
When the institution first spawns, each point of development you manually add in a province increases the institution by a percentage. Once you bring that percentage up to 100 it will actually be present in that province, and can spread to nearby provinces.

Higher development increases cost more points but increase the percentage more, so increasing total development from 4 to 5 may only give you around 1 percentage point, but increasing from 30 to 31 will give you around 5 percentage points.

It the technology tab there is a button to see what percentage of an institution is in each province.

In cases like Muscovy, where institutions take a while to arrive, but it's not China either, I usually develop the province up to 20 or 30 dev (new building allowed), pushing the institution so it can be embraced earlier, but not enough to spend sooooo many monarch points to completely spawn the institution.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just kill off your first ruler quickly the second is very good. only declare War on Novgorod, take Novgorod and Newa. For Rennaissance dev Novgorod to 34 or so should be enough. It will spread fast from there. For Colonization dev New up to 34. You will benefit later from the St Peterburg decision, which will make it even bigger. (also world trade center so only get the lvl 2 port there). You whant to play slow with muscovy, no major world wars or such. Take Russian land first, then go make slomensk a march for Lithuanian Land and take the steppe for the missions and go straight to crimea if you are there before the ottoman good, caucasus border should be a top priority. In the East, get Perm its ccore and then you can eat him. (Convert the land prior to annexing). YOur first idea grous should be defenisve and religious and the third should be dipolamtic. You are set, financial stable, have ok but big army and nothing can hold you if you play it right...

Generally institutions spread very slowly as you are quite far away from where they spawn and the average dev of your provinces is low, so it takes a long time. Besides the tips mentioned above to speed up this process, just have patience, you will have a tech disadvantage at many times. It is not too dramatic, until you clash with the Ottomans there is nobody around that can really threaten you.
Also for the later institutions it becomes less problematic, Printing Press spreads faster in northern Europe so it is faster than Renaissance and Colonialism, you have the potential to all other Institutions yourself. However you will always need to spend huge amounts of money to embrace as you are going to be very large. Prepare for that and make sure to have a strong economy.

Damn, it's hard to get those institutions around these parts huh? I don't mind being behind when everybody is (say playing as Ming or whatever) but being so close to Europe and being such a backwater, its really a problem.

I am lead to understand that having high-development provinces, preferably in coastal areas, is the best way to get institutions to spread. There is an edict too. But what else am I missing to really supercharge those institutions?!
If you go into the province view and click on the institution button (the little book, it’s near the building button) you can hover over an institution and see all the potential reasons it might spread in the province. Each institution has different conditions.