• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary - Heirs of Alexander

Greetings all,

While there is yet more to come regarding Marian military matters, today I’m here to announce that the content pack, ‘Heirs of Alexander’, will be released in conjunction with the Marius update.

As befits our 2.0 statement, the Heirs of Alexander content pack will be the largest yet; encompassing mission trees and flavor events for all the Diadochi nations, as well as the ability to customize and build a large variety of Great Wonders as detailed in the Vitruvius dev diary.

Included alongside this will be a variety of additional content that you have grown to expect from content packs, including new event pictures, music tracks, and more.

As time goes on, we will introduce more specifics surrounding the content you will receive in the HoA pack, however, as a small addendum to last week’s diary, I would like to clarify that the Legion Honors that you encountered in the Legions feature reveal will be part of the HoA pack.

With this announcement out of the way, I’ll detail a few more changes you can expect in the Marius update!

Legacy of Alexander

This Diadochi-only wargoal has been refactored to use a mechanic similar to that of Civil Wars. What this means, in essence, is that occupying a territory belonging to the target war leader during a Legacy of Alexander war will result in the immediate cession of said territory to the opposing war leader.

Every territory that changes hands this way will add a small amount of war exhaustion to the war leader that gains the territory, resulting in wars in which large amounts of territory can change hands, whilst also reaching an organic ‘end’ point, at which both sides are weary enough to make peace.

We are also looking at making a similar wargoal available in other circumstances, particularly for situations in which it makes historical sense to do so, for example, the expansion of the Parthian state.

Legion/Levy Indicators

As hinted at last week, there will be a visual distinction between Levied units and Legionary units. The 3D unit models used to display levies and legions will use light and heavy infantry, respectively.

This distinction is a highly important gameplay factor, and as such, the large variety of new unit models will be included as part of the Marius update. @Katzura, as someone with a greater aesthetic eye than myself, has prepared a variety of screenshots to give you a preview of some of the unit models coming in 2.0!

We’ve included a side-by-side of the Levy and Legion models; some will be familiar to you, and some may be new. While we’ve tried to respect the period in which Imperator is set, in some cases we’ve had to use a little imagination, particularly for graphical cultures in which the distinction between levy and legion is not always clear.

pasted image 0.png

Legion:Levy - Arabian group

pasted image 0 (1).png

Levy:Legion - Celtic Group

pasted image 0 (2).png

Levy:Legion - Greek Group

pasted image 0 (3).png

Levy:Legion - Roman

Next week we’ll have more legion/levy 3d models from other graphical culture groups to show you.

And now on to Snow Crystal’s Seleukid missions!

• 123Like
  • 81Love
Reactions:
Hello there!

For those who haven’t seen me around before, I am Joachim, one of the Content Designers on Imperator: Rome.

This week it is my pleasure to introduce the new Seleukid mission trees that I have been working on for the Marius update. The Seleukids have 4 new mission trees, focusing on Babylonia, Syria, Anatolia, and Palestine/Phoenicia respectively.

When I started working on them, I wanted to showcase what happened in the early years of the dynasty, as well as pay particular attention to the regions where they could come into contact and conflict with the other Diadochi (as this is a Diadochi-focused pack).

I’ll try to limit myself slightly, by showing off each mission and talking a bit about them, then showcasing 1 specific mission task inside that mission, before moving on to the next tree. If this DD was to go into every specific task, I worry it might get a tad too long for most people.

Babylonia

Babylonia 01.jpg

For Babylonia, as a logical starting point when you begin a new game, I wanted to have some sort of interactions with the local priesthood. They played a notable role in the early rule of Seleukos when he was still a Satrap. I also wanted to show that Babylonia was in many ways an important reason why Seleukos rose to prominence, and a large part of the mission focuses on building up Babylonia to become an vital core for your nation.

Babylonia Mission Task 01.jpg

One of the advantages of the changes we made in the Menander Update is that we now have access to more tools that we can utilize in our missions, like cultural integration. You’ll probably see several tasks like these, where we either ask you to integrate a specific culture or to have integrated a certain amount of people in an area or a region.

Syria

Syria 01.jpg

For many the Seleukid dynasty is deeply associated with the area around Syria (to the point where the region was occasionally called Seleukis), as Seleukos spent many years and considerable resources funding Antioch and Seleukeia Pieria. Because of our starting date, he does not actually own the area when the game starts, so it makes a natural ‘first goal’ for the player to start moving westwards to take control of the place the Seleukid dynasty was most known for holding.

The first three tasks (up to, but not including ‘Syrian Governance’) is focused around conquering the area if you do not already hold it, but everything afterwards is mostly focused around building up Syria.

On the right hand side, there’s some optional tasks where you can step through the Syrian Gates and start conquering Cilicia on the other side of the Amanus Mountains.

Syria Mission Task 01.jpg

Syria Event 01.jpg

One of the things I wanted to showcase with this mission was how Seleukos actively built up Syria and had a large group of Greek settlers migrate to the region, so he could bolster his armies with Greek troops. Cut off from the west and the Mediterranean, Seleukos did not have access to the heavier infantry of his peers at our start date. It should be mentioned that the countries losing pops from this event are actually quite well paid to make up for it.

Anatolia

Anatolia 01.jpg

Anatolia 02.jpg

After beating back Lysimachos’ attempt at taking control of the whole empire, Seleukos himself was overtaken by ambition and eventually died at the hands of Ptolemy Keraunos, and with his death the final living Successor was put to rest. Unlike Lysimachos, who’s little empire quickly crumbled and fell apart, Seleukos’ death was fairly well handled by Antiochos, and the empire would endure for several hundred years.

One major change before and after Lysimachos’ attempt at conquering the other Diadochi was the importance of Anatolia for the Seleukids. Though Seleukos held parts of Cilicia after the Battle of Ipsos, his control was confined to the very south-eastern part of the region.

After the death of Seleukos, Antiochos would shift his focus westwards, spending a lot of his time in Anatolia where he funded several cities and improving the infrastructure all the way to Sardis in the far west, in addition to beating back the Galatian invasion. Later on two scions of the dynasty, Seleukos II Kallinikos and Antiochos Hierax, would fight over Anatolia, as it had become such an integral part of the empire.

As a third mission, it made a lot of sense to me to focus on Anatolia, and I chose to specifically focus on the regions surrounding the Persian Royal Road. The mission has both conquest missions as well as infrastructure, slowly moving you westwards as you go through it. It is not completely like Seleukos’ sudden capture of the whole region, but I figured it made for the best experience.

Anatolia Mission Task 01.jpg

The Seleukid dynasty ended up being particularly associated with the Greek deity Apollo, leading to the syncretic deity Apollo-Nabû, as well as their support of the oracle in Didyma. It should be noted that Apollo Didymaios was originally a deity specifically for Syracuse in the Magna Graecia content pack, so you will only be able to unlock the deity for the Seleukid Empire if you already own that pack as well.

Palestine/Phoenicia

Palestine 01.jpg

Palestine 02.jpg

For the final mission, it made a lot of sense to focus on the region that would eventually lead to several Syrian Wars fought over it, Palestine and Phoenicia.

After the Battle of Ipsos, Seleukos was originally given a far larger piece of land, but found Ptolemy had already taken control of it and refused to hand it over to his old friend. Though Seleukos forgave this slight, and would go on to make more out of Syria than most would have expected of him, his descendants would eventually start using it as a reason to engage their southern neighbors in the many Syrian Wars.

For the mission, the first part of the mission focuses on securing a route southwards through the southern part of Syria. The second half focuses on conquering Palestine, and to start building up the infrastructure in the region, with a chance to release the Judean state as a client.

Palestine Mission Task 01.jpg

Similar to the migration to Syria, there was a large group of Greek settlers who ended up moving to Decapolis (leading to its name, as they re-established several of the 10 cities). I wanted a mission task that could replicate that to a certain degree, even though historically speaking the migration to Decapolis happened under both the Ptolemies and the Seleukids rather than in one fell swoop.

Conclusion

Personally I have always been a huge fan of the Seleukids, so it was a pleasure being able to work on them, and I hope people will enjoy the missions when they are finally released.

Until next time.

• 128Like
  • 57Love
Reactions:
Like it! But one thing i miss in the mission trees is at least one mention of the sanctuary of Daphne near Antiochia. I think it should be somehow be included in the Syria Mission tree. After all Daphne became the central sanctuary after the Seleucids lost Didyma again.

A unique Apollo of Daphne / Antiochia and a sanctuary there should be really included in the pack. An event like the Daphne Parade would be also cool.

• 15Like
Reactions:
  • 25Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
For clarification, will the Legion Honours feature be a part of the HoA DLC, or is it that certain specific honours are a part of the DLC, while the feature is part of the update in general?

• 7Like
Reactions:
This looks great! I am particularly excited about the Legacy of Alexander war-goal using the civil war mechanics! Civil wars are some of the most engaging conflicts in the game, but as it currently stands, you are strongly incentivised to do everything possible to avoid firing them, so finding ways to make it a more integrated part of gameplay for the Diadochi is great!

Does this also mean that wargoals that use civil war mechanics are opened up for modders now (with the purchase of the DLC ofc)? That would be gamechanging if it could!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hi, just a small comment towards the devs. The heavy infantry for the Greek group should be the one with the spear and the light should have the sword (opposite of what it is right now)

• 2Like
Reactions:
With the new Marius update levy system it also means that when a province revolts it lose significant amounts of pops when it is put down, making it more poor but more compliant with time?

Since there have been a mention of new music, the soundtrack of the old EU: Rome that are actually available in the game as a mod, they will be included again with their volume harmonized with the others?

Last edited:
Reactions:
As time goes on, we will introduce more specifics surrounding the content you will receive in the HoA pack, however, as a small addendum to last week’s diary, I would like to clarify that the Legion Honors that you encountered in the Legions feature reveal will be part of the HoA pack.
Well that's disappointing.
It should be noted that Apollo Didymaios was originally a deity specifically for Syracuse in the Magna Graecia content pack, so you will only be able to unlock the deity for the Seleukid Empire if you already own that pack as well.
It already begins. Content being locked behind several DLCs as a time, and we're only at the second expansion.
And what if you only own Magna Graecia? Do you also lose the ability to get that deity, as it's now part of the mission tree?

Apart from that it's a cool DD. The Lecacy of Alexander was can be a good mechanic, the troop models are lovely (big fan of the Roman levies having a wolf pelt), and the mission trees are nice.
It seems however that the levy/legion are always represented by light/heavy infantry, what about nations with a heavy focus on cavalry? Shouldn't they have light cavalry for their levy and heavy cavalry for their legions?

• 13Like
Reactions:
Great work. I do have one Question.

For the Selekuids, is there anything for rebuilding Etemenanki and the Esagila which encompasses it?

Alexander the Great taking Babylon told the Archtictes to rebuild the temple, but when he returned and no progress had been met, He destroyed the Etemenanki and wanted to rebuild it. Antiochus I was going to rebuild it for the people and had a sacrifice prepared, but then he tripped on some of the building and decided to destroy it for ever. However, that doesn't necessarily have to happen especially with a start date in 301 and Etemenanki could have been rebuilt as Antiochus planned to do. So curious if there is anything here.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Snow Crystal you are a hero. I read a lot about Seleukid too and as a fan of them, you just did them justice it seems :). Overall jsut great and really allows the player to finally make seleukid syria the powerhouse it was.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It already begins. Content being locked behind several DLCs as a time, and we're only at the second expansion.
And what if you only own Magna Graecia? Do you also lose the ability to get that deity, as it's now part of the mission tree?

You still get several bonuses from the mission task, besides the deity.
It was originally part of the deities we set up for Magna Graecia, so it was more of just a minor bonus for people who had both DLCs, rather than trying to punishing those who didn't.

• 15Like
Reactions:
Amazing! Missions for Diadochi is what I wanted the most, and they are finally here.
I expect "Heirs of Alexander" to cost more than your previous flavor packs?
For me, it's ok, I'm glad I can say bigger "thank you" for 2.0 patch and all accompanying content through more money.

Reactions: