Crusaders attacked me while I was on a holy war.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Draniels

Second Lieutenant
60 Badges
Jul 11, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
Ok so I'm a king of Portugal and i'm waging a holy war to take a duchy in Andalusia. The Pope calls a crusade against Andalusia. Fine, they can help me out. Nope. They disembark and immediately destroy my army 2:1. This is bullshit. I am a catholic native to these lands and these crusaders show up and clash their holy armies of catholic god, against my holy army of catholic god and destroy me because they want those lands. Sad, didn't jesus teach not to be greedy or something?

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Ok so I'm a king of Portugal and i'm waging a holy war to take a duchy in Andalusia. The Pope calls a crusade against Andalusia. Fine, they can help me out. Nope. They disembark and immediately destroy my army 2:1. This is bullshit. I am a catholic native to these lands and these crusaders show up and clash their holy armies of catholic god, against my holy army of catholic god and destroy me because they want those lands. Sad, didn't jesus teach not to be greedy or something?

Def doesn't seem right.

In CK2 you'd be allied to each other, and they wouldn't be able to attack your army, and would of helped in the siege instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ok so I'm a king of Portugal and i'm waging a holy war to take a duchy in Andalusia. The Pope calls a crusade against Andalusia. Fine, they can help me out. Nope. They disembark and immediately destroy my army 2:1. This is bullshit. I am a catholic native to these lands and these crusaders show up and clash their holy armies of catholic god, against my holy army of catholic god and destroy me because they want those lands.
Did you join the crusade?

Reactions:
It's probably an oversight. The enemies of your enemies are also your enemies when you attack someone for a title. Conflict of interest, I guess. It's handy if you're both going for the same title and you want to make sure they do not win their war and take the title right under your nose, also would be annoying if you couldn't siege your target counties because another one already sieged them. Crusades should probably be exempt from this is the other party has the same faith. Thoughts?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Seems like Pardox finally made crusades historically accurate.

• 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I only gave money, except first I decided to wait a bit so I postponed the decision, then gave the pope the lowest amount of money for the crusade. I mean I was already going to do my part. You know the funny thing is after they won I was given all the land. The worst part is they specifically disembarked on the county I was seiging, like they had planned it all along. "Alright so we're going to teach this king a lesson, that's our top priority".

Reactions:
If you had joined the crusade it would have invalidated your war and you'd have a pretty good chance of being awarded the province AND lots of money and piety as #1 contributor. Missed a trick there.

Reactions:
I only gave money, except first I decided to wait a bit so I postponed the decision, then gave the pope the lowest amount of money for the crusade. I mean I was already going to do my part. You know the funny thing is after they won I was given all the land. The worst part is they specifically disembarked on the county I was seiging, like they had planned it all along. "Alright so we're going to teach this king a lesson, that's our top priority".
Ok, then that's why. Think about it this way: the Holy Father himself has declared a crusade, and upon requesting you to join you reply "I will unfortunately be unable to commit my forces to this great holy war, but I will assist with funding. God be with you!"

Fair enough, thinks the Pope and the crusaders. Then the crusade is launched, and upon arriving at the target they discover... You, waging your own private holy war trying to conquer a piece of the pie just for yourself, independently of everyone else.

It's perhaps not so surprising that there may be some (bad) blood, no? :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ok, then that's why. Think about it this way: the Holy Father himself has declared a crusade, and upon requesting you to join you reply "I will unfortunately be unable to commit my forces to this great holy war, but I will assist with funding. God be with you!"

Fair enough, thinks the Pope and the crusaders. Then the crusade is launched, and upon arriving at the target they discover... You, waging your own private holy war trying to conquer a piece of the pie just for yourself, independently of everyone else.

I guess when you put it that way lol. ANyways I ended up getting excommunicated so now im converting iberia to insular christianity. Good times.

Also, someone respectfully disagreed with my last post? I was giving an account of what happened in my game, not really something to disagree or agree about.

I guess when you put it that way lol. ANyways I ended up getting excommunicated so now im converting iberia to insular christianity. Good times.

Also, someone respectfully disagreed with my last post? I was giving an account of what happened in my game, not really something to disagree or agree about.
i disagreed with your assessment of "already doing your part".
I mean I was already going to do my part.

Oh. Well I was. Conquering muslims for christ and all that. In fact, Pope man could have just crusaded jerusalem again and I would have taken care of iberia all by myself. Ended up taking north africa too.
Ah, but it would end up in your hands and not be ordained by the pope. Popes are petty like that with power.

Oh. Well I was. Conquering muslims for christ and all that. In fact, Pope man could have just crusaded jerusalem again and I would have taken care of iberia all by myself. Ended up taking north africa too.

Sorry the quote was going to do your part, which reads as "I am already attacking them in Andalucia" so therefore the Pope should be okay with it.

I didn't feel that excused you from what Karlington implied in the question

and then had to further expound after your reply with...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Now you know how the Byzantines felt on the 4th crusade.
Funny thing is this happened also before they sacked Constaninople, then the 4th Crusade sacked and pillaged and enslaved a catholic town before. The Pope had been a little bit unhappy about that. Siege of Zara is there the example, it is also desciribed in the Wikipedia Article about the 4th Crusade.

• 1Like
Reactions: