What parts of the DLC do you really use.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Koopa

Second Lieutenant
8 Badges
Jan 9, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I thought about something.

What parts of DLC you really use.

For me it's something like that. And i do not care (Anymore) for perfect play.
And that's only how I use/play with that. Not even what I like or dislike. There are things i really like but just not use in my games.

Plantoids Species Pack : Cosmetic, what to say?

Leviathans: : Really nice pack but after some time it gives only some better parts for ships.

Utopia: Mostly Habitats, maybe one Mega Structure within meaningful time. Additional Structures are a little late.

Synthetic Dawn: One Game as Robot, sometimes a game till 2300.

Humanoids Species Pack: Cosmetic. kay

Apocalypse: Titans build em more for RP, never use Collosi, even if it would be nice for the CB. Seldom use Marauder Mercs, Never cared for the Kahn. He is there, he is dead.

Distant Stars: More Stuff is nice.

Megacorps: Use Megacorps as Trading partner for more Jobs on my planets. Not really feel an urge to play one myself very often.

Ancient Relics: Take the Boni, do not feel it the Archaeology to be great.

Lithoids Species Pack: Only played Lithoid at Release. Could play more but close to cosmetic only

Federations: Being in a Federation anoys me. Galactic Community: The good Resolutions take to long. I often play decades without thinking about the community .

Necroids Species Pack: Too much sci fantasy for my taste, not enough sci fi. Have it, seen it, Will not play those species often.

Reactions:
Plantoids: as above.
Leviathans: stuff from Curators, sometimes blow up Leviathan and that's all.
Utopia: most of it. Megastructures, slavery/purge types, ascension perks, native indoctrination, Mechanist origin.
Synthetic Dawn: I do play as ME sometimes and use various machine portraits as well.
Hoomanoids: I like it for ship sets and voiceovers
Apocalypse: death stars are nice, although late game feature, rest is ok.
Distant Stars and Ancvient Relics: I appreciate it, more game feels less boring.
Megacorps: Mcs are ok, slave merket is very nice to have. More megastructers and ecumenopoli, this is more important.
Lithoids: meh.
Federations: obligatory for me.
Necros: don't have, don't care.

For me :

plantoid : love ship and city style, and the portrait too

leviathan : curator are cool, but the leviathan are... dispensable, I took it only beaucause it was in promotion

utopia : love build megastructure, also love habitat and ascension path (expect psionic which curently suck)

synthetic : look my signature, it's say all you need to know I think, even if I do not use DA very often

humanoid : as plantoid

apocalypse : nearly always use titan and colosi, maraudeur are cool since they add the currently only mid-game crisis

Distant star : not realy usefull, L cluster is pretty useless I think (nanite are a big joke)

Ancient relic : like the archeology, the new precursors and the relic world which are more common with this dlc

Megacorp : like the megacorp authority and I love megastructure and ecumenopolis

lithoid : don't use them as a fouder species, but like to have them later when I play multicultural (as slave or free cityzen)

Federation : perfect if AI could manage the diplomatic option too, I still have to see how it's work in 1.8.1, so I use mainly the additionals origins

Necroid : as plantoid, I found the new civic and origin surprisingly good

I think asking "what dlc you use" is kinda weird question since technically you are still "using" it if you enable it and see ai use them :p Like I definitely like portrait packs for having more variety in the galaxy

Like, synthetic dawn is good example: I don't play with machine empires often, but I like to see them pop up in the galaxy

Reactions:
I think asking "what dlc you use" is kinda weird question since technically you are still "using" it if you enable it and see ai use them :p Like I definitely like portrait packs for having more variety in the galaxy

Like, synthetic dawn is good example: I don't play with machine empires often, but I like to see them pop up in the galaxy
I have Megacorp, but I never really use the government itself. I think OP is looking for what features people got the DLC for, rather then a theoretical discussion on what constitutes "usage" is ;)

Reactions:
Leviathans: I use the curators and artist enclaves every game, all the other stuff like the WiH is map/game dependent.

Utopia: Habitats, ascension paths, megastructures (hive minds only as AI)

Synthetic Dawn: Rarely play robot empires anymore, but I used to play them more.

Apocalypse: I use titans always because why not. Colossi I only really ever used when I was playing Driven Assimilators.

Distant Stars: Like Leviathans, map dependent.

Megacorps: I sometimes play megacorporations, actually, but I find their branch mechanics to be sadly underwhelming. Trade leagues are neat though. Megacorporations are the only time I ever play an officially xenophile empire.

Ancient Relics: I investigate every site I find, but the rewards could be better sometimes.

Federations: I like founding and then taking over federations. I use the DLC-specific origins frequently. The Galactic Council is my home, though I think that the voting/recess times need to be looked at again.

Cosmetic Packs: I don't play as a humanoid species often, but I use the other portraits a lot, and I like the Humanoid portraits being loose in the galaxy.

This would be more true if enemy Ais would behave a bit more diversely, but in my opinion just meeting more types of empires when you play is an improvement to the game.

So I don't have to actually play robots to use synthetic dawn. Just meeting robots in most games is fine.

Same goes for megacorps and the cosmetic ones.

The only one I somewhat regret buying is apocalypse, because marauders annoy me and the Khan breaks too often.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have Megacorp, but I never really use the government itself. I think OP is looking for what features people got the DLC for, rather then a theoretical discussion on what constitutes "usage" is ;)

I mean, but that is the thing: I got megacorp dlc to see megacorps in the game, not to play as them, same with synthetic dawn <_< New megaconstructions and ecomunopolis are just nice bonuses I use sometimes

Plantoids Species Pack : Useful for variety in what you encounter (like a lot of cosmetic stuff)

Leviathans: : I like the way Pacifistic Xenophiles can learn to befriend them and bypass them. That has some interesting early game exploration and strategic effects since you can move your exploration and colony ships through their space to settle areas you wouldn't otherwise be able to reach without a fight. Less relevant long-term.

Utopia: Use it for habitats.

Synthetic Dawn: I play as robots fairly frequently. I like Rogue Servitors in particular.

Humanoids Species Pack: Useful for variety in what you encounter (like a lot of cosmetic stuff)

Apocalypse: World-Killer colossi are an excellent way to speed up the "mop up" stages when you have won the fight, but can't be bothered to build a thousand troops to land on each world, especially well-defended worlds like Fallen Empires. Agree the Khan doesn't expand enough to be a real threat, normally.

Distant Stars: Like it for variety.

Megacorps: I enjoy playing as a megacorp occasionally, especially if I crank up the Galaxy to be really crowded.

Ancient Relics: Archeology is one of my favorite parts of the game for early exploration. Use it all the time.

Lithoids Species Pack: I don't play Lithoids at all, but I do find it usefulf or variety in what races you encounter.

Federations: I never play as Federation builder--almost always play Imperial, or Hegemony, or other Authoritarian. However, it does create more challenge since smaller weaker empires quickly ally-up against me, so it makes it more challenging than the game would be if I could pick them off one at a time without their allies getting involved.

Necroids Species Pack: Fun for cosmetic variety. May play a Necroid every now and then, but mostly like it for variety in other races I encounter.

• 1Like
Reactions:

This. For example: I don't like to play as a mega corp but I do value having mega corps in the galaxy.

Reactions: