• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eladrin

Stellaris Game Director
Paradox Staff
Apr 4, 2019
www.paradoxplaza.com
unknown.png

• 55Love
  • 34Like
Reactions:
I love the fact that it seems like you can't tell the extent of their empire's space, that's something I genuinely never thought I'd see in Stellaris. Plus, their relative power being unknown is really interesting.

I'm really hoping this will also entail some changes in general to the "first contact" experience. But regardless, I'm very interested.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Unknown, huh? Poor things, probably, don't' know anything about us, too. Let's fix that up: send in the fleet to bask them in a glorious atomic fire!

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Unknown, huh? Poor things, probably, don't' know anything about us, too. Let's fix that up: send in the fleet to bask them in a glorious atomic fire!
No sense for subtility or patience... a shame

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I love the fact that it seems like you can't tell the extent of their empire's space, that's something I genuinely never thought I'd see in Stellaris. Plus, their relative power being unknown is really interesting.

I'm really hoping this will also entail some changes in general to the "first contact" experience. But regardless, I'm very interested.
Yeah, that's true! I didn't notice that until later. I hope listening post on the border gives you a greater idea of their borders, and that's improved with sensor tech.

Yeah, I found the Caravaneers and Enclaves before I found an Empire in my latest run, but nothing changed in terms of my first "official" contact message. There needs to be special first-contact messages, and reworked contact messages for regular Empires if you find space-based entities first at the very least.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:

Well i hope that it's just more than that. I would like to have a bunch of active actions possibles to cripple ennemies and be able to, in some extent, "be fear in the galaxy for my intel power" being able to sabote and cripple empires if i heavily invest in espionnage.

Right now your only way to expand and be "respected" is war. In the future i would love to see cultural integration, commercial wars,planet selling, Defensive spy network and so on to be able to invest heavily in something and be rewarded by the game.

Reactions:
Right now your only way to expand and be "respected" is war. In the future i would love to see cultural integration, commercial wars, spy network and so on to be able to invest heavily in something and be rewarded by the game.
Soft power on weaker allies and neighbors?

I also hope this DLC brings proper Cold Wars between Rivals. Not just free influence, but actively competing with each other - and being on the brink of war at times - with unique events.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Soft power on weaker allies and neighbors?

I also hope this DLC brings proper Cold Wars between Rivals. Not just free influence, but actively competing with each other - and being on the brink of war at times - with unique events.

Yeah i mean it's not really something in tune with espionnage but the fact to be able to cripple and expand your empire without being able to do war really need to be something. Some sort of cultural integration + federations and diplomacy for the diplomatic path, some embargos,commercial wars and planet buying/selling (like the lumeris in ES) to be able to expand and be respected with economical power and something like revolt, crimes, assassination and sabotage to cripple hostile empires (i don't know how you can expend with espionnage thoo) with espionnage. I would like to matter in the galaxy and be able to expand without the need of having a 20k fleet...

• 2Like
Reactions:
A proper espionage system would be very nice indeed. Let`s hope they get it right the first time and then just have to further refine it, instead of remaking it :)

Reactions:
I'm not sure what I like more: the fact that this is happening, or that we got a teaser directly posted onto the forum by a dev without first having to ask.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There've been lots of cautiously optimistic posts in past threads about Espionage, about hoping it's more than just "I pressed a button, waited, and they got -10% fire rate for 10 years" and more than just "Oh, an enemy empire did something bad to you and you had no way of knowing", about hoping PDX can make it actually fun.

Time to see if the caution or the optimism wins out.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Looking good. I've wanted better fog-of-war and first-contact for a long time.

I hope the devs take this opportunity to make sensor ranges more clear. Stellaris used to have green dashed circles denoting sensor-range at one point and that was beautifully simple. Sensor range has changed mechanically since then but a checkbox or overlay that highlights visible systems would be nice.
e.g. An overlay that colour-codes systems by intel level (full/high/etc.) so that you can see the gap in your sensor coverage before the marauders appear out of the nebula to kill you. And so you can see the power of the Sentry Array/Listening Posts at a glance rather than guessing if it's doing anything when you already have sensor treaties with allies and federation members.

Also I just want to wish the devs good-luck. Espionage systems are notoriously hard to implement in a way that makes everyone happy. Take your time, be proud of what you create and make it fun.

• 8Like
Reactions:
tinker, tailor, stellaris, spy

• 1Haha
Reactions: