Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 9th of November 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also, follow up question, it is nice to tie pop culture to levies, but will it be possible to gradually standardize your army? So that military reforms down the line mean that pops from different culture from you empire are trained in the same military units?

Example, after 100 years that Gauls are integrated in a Roman empire, they could start providing with the same units as the Roman pops.

I assume this will somehow be tied to legions, but whatever.

• 9Like
Reactions:
That was an excellent read and now everything is making more sense, things are coming together.

That's awesome.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Wow! Very happy to see this! So glad to see pops tied into the levies. Interesting to see it tied to unit type that way, I know some people were a bit worried when they saw manpower was still a thing but now it makes sense.

Also really happy to see there's regional variation and uniqueness to it.

Bonus points for only integrated cultures contributing. From what I know there was an issue with the previous version in how there was little benefit to integrating a lot of cultures as it made it harder to keep research high.

I mean I haven't digested this fully and we'll see how it pans out but seems pretty nice to me!

• 14Like
Reactions:
What is preventing monarchies and republics who most likely will have access to levies with heavy infantry/elephants etc. from steamrolling tribes with levies made out of much weaker unit types?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, follow up question, it is nice to tie pop culture to levies, but will it be possible to gradually standardize your army? So that military reforms down the line mean that pops from different culture from you empire are trained in the same military units?

Example, after 100 years that Gauls are integrated in a Roman empire, they could start providing with the same units as the Roman pops.

I assume this will somehow be tied to legions, but whatever.
I guess this is just represented by the cultural assimilation of pops.

What is preventing monarchies and republics who most likely will have access to levies with heavy infantry/elephants etc. from steamrolling tribes with levies made out of much weaker unit types?
Well, this seems historical enough?

• 15Like
Reactions:
I just love that now governors lead armies. Makes a lot more sense IMO, considering how many famous generals in history were governors as well as commanders(obvious example being Caesar).

Question: for Consuls and any other dual-ruler systems, will we be able to change the commander of the army of the ruling province to either of them) rulers at will?

Also, can you split armies, and if you do can you assign new leaders to the detached army? And is there any system in place to prevent players from just giving a bad general one regiment to command while the player assigns a good non-governor general to lead the rest of the "detached" army.

EDIT:speaking of consuls and dual monarchies, I feel like some sort of subcommander system or something where an army can have an advisor or second in command would be pretty nice. Lots of famous seconds in command or top advisors throughout history.

• 10Like
Reactions:
My interest in the game just suddenly re-appeared!
Great update!

Fantastic :) I really like everything in this dev diary.

Regarding Legions - I really hope you give them something vaguely like the traditions etc that are in Rome 2 TW (sorry for mentioning the nemesis :) ) - maybe not quite to the same extent, but something that gives them some weight...

• 4Like
Reactions:
This is breathtaking. Now(in marius) imperator has the best military system out of all nonhoi pdx games.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Whoaaa! This is huge! Props to the devs for making this more historically accurate!

This is now looking like a total new game. The initial release will be unrecognizable once 2.0 is released.

My full respects to Arheo and his team because they are still fighting for IR and it needed these radical changes to make it the successful game that it was supposed to be.

I've never seen any other company with so much commitment for their titles.

• 25Like
Reactions:
When an army dies, is there any effects to pops? Say some pops are killed as a result?

EDIT: Trin has answered our prayers. Praise Jupiter!

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Amazing. All these changes make way more sense historically and seem better from a gameplay perspective too!
It's unbelievable how transformative this update is going to be

• 7Like
Reactions: