• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lolling About
Lolling About

The News

“My Liege! My Liege!” Oswolf was running in the hallway, screaming from the top of his lungs.

Bohemond stopped and turned around, eyeing the panting archbishop coldly.

“What do you want?” he said in a very measured tone.

“Urgent news, Sire,” the old man wheezed.

“You have been shagging my daughter again and came to brag?” Bohemond said, his voice as venomous as that of a snake.

Inside, he was raging. Fucking Oswolf, cannot keep his cock inside his pants like a good priest should. And of all people, he would shove it inside his daughter. The gall of a man. And he, the all-mighty King, could only imprison her daughter. Something he really did not want to do. Absolute King with an absolute power and he could not even put the damn priest into prison. Or, remove the source of the lechery and cut off the cock of the old man. The thought made the King’s day a little brighter at least.

1604265852595.png

You lecherous old priest...

At least Oswolf had decency to look really guilty and regretful and mumble something along the lines of misunderstanding and unintentional and mistaken identity.

“Mistaken identity indeed,” thought Bohemond. “You have mistaken my daughter to someone you could fuck.”

“Anyway, what is it,” Bohemond shoved yesterday’s crises aside and focused on the new, interesting crises.

“Lollards, Sire!” panted Oswolf “Lollards about!”

Bohemond shrugged. “Ahh, them heretics, rearing their ugly heads again. Happens all the time. Where this time? Germany? England? France?”

“Gabes!” said Oswulf. “Duke Anfroi has converted!”

Bohemond gasped. “The hell?”

“Anfroi of Gabes had denounced the Pope and Catholicism and claimed that all of his lands are following the lollards now!”

1604265881463.png

Lollards, much closer to home

“He dares...” said Bohemond. “Send a strongly worded letter at once, demanding that he stops this foolishness at once and returns to the flock!”

After a pause, he added. “There will be no heresy in my lands. Android should know it...”

Oswolf bowed and moved away, glad that King has a next crises turned the King’s attention away from who is fucking whom question.

1604265903079.png

A strongly worded letter

The Response

A week later, Bohemond was in council as the response arrived.

Bohemond took it, read it and said to his council: “Apparently, the letter wasn’t worded strongly enough. Anfroi refused the salvation and decided to he lolling about instead.”

1604265918414.png

Anfroi, refusing to give up faith

There was silence. Then, Mernissa spoke up. “So, what are we going to do? We cannot have heretics running about after all...”

“We write another letter,” said Bohemond.

“How is it going to help? He refused the first one already,” said Mernissa

“It depends on what you write,” said Bohemond, with a wicked grin. “And about who delivers it,” he added thoughtfully.

He eyed Duke Alfons, his Marshal. “You shall be our postman this time,” he said.

“Sire?” Alfons said questiongly. “Are you sure he will even accept my letter? Or will he just refuse to see me? And I'm not the most diplomatic man around, as you know.”

“Diplomacy is not what I’m looking for at the moment,” said Bohemond. “I’m more of a looking Alfons taking a few thousand fellow postman, sailing to Gabes and delivering this letter to the heretic Duke.”

Bohemond took the quill and a parchment and scribbled something down. Then, he handed it to Alfons.

Duke of Alexandria read it out aloud:

“Anfroi!

You either come voluntarily or my men shall burn your lands, kill your subjects and take it anyway.

Your King, Bohemond”

“Short and straight to the point,” Alfons commented.

“See it done,” said Bohemond.

Alfons just asked: “And what if he refuses?”

“I thought I was pretty clear on this part,” replied the King. “Start burning and killing.”

1604265997109.png

Bohemond's response

The Solution

Week later, Anfroi was in the dungeon. No, not the cold, damp and dark one underground, chained to a wall. That is reserved to a common criminal. Instead, he got a one with a view. One of the towers of Castle of Palermo. Only one exit though, locked and guarded all the time. Barred windows. And even if you could break the bars, the fall would kill you. Though more comfortable, this was a dungeon still.

Anfroi head the door open below. Someone taking the steps, energetically. The guards snapped up and said “Sire”, and then someone turned the lock and opened the door. Bohemond stepped in, not looking even a bit exhausted from the climb up to the tower. Though the hair of the King was mostly gray and the lines in his face were deep, the time had been kind to the king. Still got his bright eyes, his energy and confidence. Anfroi flinched.

Even worse, King did not bother to bring any guards. Anfroi could see why. Despite his age, Bohemond could overpower him without breaking a sweat.

“You know whose cell it was?” asked Bohemond without wasting any times on niceties like saying hello, how was your trip, I hope the capture wasn’t too unpleasant?

Anfroi shook his head.

The King, not even expecting a response, continued “Gaufrid’s”

“The Double Duke?” asked Anfroi. Sure, he had heard of the man, though he was just in his teens when the man died.

Bohemond nodded. “He spent more then 30 years here, you know. He was less then 20 when I put him there and he was 52 when he died here.”

Bohemond stepped to the small barred windows. “I am told that every day, he spent hours here, looking outside, looking at the life below, looking at the ships sailing into harbor, people running in the streets.”

He gazed outside, to the magnificent city of Palermo, so full of life. “This little window was his main contact with the outside world. The only way to see himself part of humankind. The only way he could keep himself sane during the decades of captivity.”

Bohemond paused for a minute and added then, “Though i’m told he still got pretty weird in the end”

Anfroi watched with fascinated horror as the King did his little act.

Then, Bohemond turned to him. “You’re still young, Anfroi. And healthy. Do you think you shall last as long as Gaufrid?”

As Anfroi looked for a good answer, the King continued. “You know the difference between you and Gaufrid though?”

Anfroi shook his head.

“Gaufrid did not have a choice. He irked my ire and therefore, he was stripped of his titles and he spent the rest of his life here. A proper punishment, you know.”

“As for you,” the King suddenly focused on Anfroi. “You still have a choice.”

“You can spend the next few decades in this room,” the King made a gesture encompassing the small room. “Or you can live happily in Gabes, along with your family, and enjoy the power that comes with being a powerful Duke of the realm.”

Anfroi realized that thus far, it had been a pretty one-sided conversation. This was actually the first time the King expected him to speak.

“Sire?” he gasped.

“No fool lolling about will rule in my realm,” the King said. “It is either you spend the rest of your life here, while I take away your lands, or you will hear my humble plea and abandon your heretical ways and find your way back to the flock.”

“Humble indeed,” thought Anfroi. But the thought of the fate of Gaufrid sent shivers up his spine. And after all, the Pope wasn’t so bad, now he thinks of it. And he had some questions about the core tenants of the Lollards, like the paficism part. Though mostly, it was the fate of Gaufrid.

“Sire, I,” mumbled Anfroi. “I, I, have seen the error in my ways. I shall denounce heresy and offer myself at your mercy. I want nothing more then to be at your good grace, Sire!”

“Good boy”, said Bohemond with a smile. Then, he patted Anfroi on his back and said “Ok, boy. Let’s go downstairs.”

He even opened the dungeon door for him.

As they walked down, Bohemond thought to himself: “Looks I'm much more effective at this conversion and fighting heresy than any of my priests.”

With this, the initial crises was over.

1604266039846.png

Anfroi, seeing the error in his ways

Morel Lolling About

Anfroi was the first one. He was not the only one though. The lure of lollardy was strong, and Duke Arnald II of Calabria and Osbern of Tripolitania converted to heresy as well. Just, how the King dealt with Anfroi send a clear message to the other vassals as well.

1604266060519.png

Two more, but they folded more easily

Strongly worded letters were enough to bring both heretical Dukes back to the flock.

The third one, Radulf of Apulia, needed a bit more. A strongly worded letter and a gift of gold. With this, the heresy problem in Sicily had been dealt with. More swiftly then the Pope could say “Ave Maria”

1604266114689.png

There is always the greedy one

The appearance of Lollardy, so close to home, altered the Pope though. Again, he gathered all the rulers in Rome and again, he dealt a powerful speech, condemning Lollardy. This time, Lollardy in the North- Scotland had been a hive of lollardy for some time now and King Shaw was considered to be one of the most lolliest of lollards about. So, Clemens urged every Christian to take up the sword and make the Scots see the error of their ways through ample bloodshed and warfare. Again, promising absolution of their sins to anyone partaking in the crusade.

A Crusade for the Kingdom of England...

1604266088180.png

Going to fight Scotland.. in Englahd?

Bohemond stood up. “You know,” he started “While I agree that the lollardy is a problem we need to deal with. I think our Holy Father approaches the problem in a bit of a wrong way.”

The others looked up as Bohemond spoke. After all, the King of the South, as he was being more and more called in Europe, was the man you better listen to.

“While Scotland indeed has some provinces in England,” the King continues. “I think it is a waste of time and effort to take the war to England alone- I think the problem needs to be addressed directly.”

The King took a pause, while the world listened.

“I think we should go directly to Scotland instead,” said the King.

“But, but, the Scots have haggis!” someone from the audience mumbled. “I want paella! Can’t we do Iberia again?”

It was Griselda who spoke up: “Sorry, we’re full. No room for another Crusader Kingdom in Iberia”

There was a bit of grumbling. But in the end, people saw wisdom in Bohemond’s words and despite the abundance of haggis, decided to liberate Scotland from the heretics.

Bohemond appointed his daughter, Princess Giselle, as the beneficiary for this crusade. At least, she will be really far away from the lecherous old Oswolf.

1604266142813.png

With the updated target, things make much more sense. And also, meet the future Queen of Scotland. Giselle the Gerontophile!

And nothing much else happened until in February 1142, the Third Crusade began.

Ahh well, apart from Bohemond's daughter and archbishop getting it on, it seems like the poor man got hit by Lollard outbreak.
Though I must say, I dealt with it quite well. And the next time, it is high time for a Crusade yet again. Has it been 20 years already?

An unfortunate necessity to make sure land stays in proper hands.

Unfortunate, yes. Necessity as well. Just, I really don't like killing children.

No war for kingdom, for the same reason I suspect? Although more independent Hauteville kings are not that bad.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you don't get the kingdom title if you go to holy war against kingdom. Or if you do, you can at least destroy the title.
No, this is more because I like my wars short and concentrated and also because dividing the titles can be a mess afterwards. And the titles I see worth taking over in that way happen to be Byzantine, and I can't do that yet.

Normans are never usually shy about spilling claret. I am sure Bohemond will get over it.

Yeah, in the end, you do what you gotta do.

Oh my, a Crusade directed relatively close to where the Pope had in mind.

Well it seems that Hautvilles have to convince everyone that there are so many better way's of doing things I wonder how they go about their own lives.

Seems the lure of the Lollard faith is feeble compared to the lure of the good graces of the king in the south!

A bit of haggis will do them good, I am sure of it! :D

Crusade for Scotland
Crusade for Scotland

The Crusade of Scotland started in February 1142. That date found 10 000 Normans already on a boat, past the Strait of Gibraltar and around Lisboa, sailing towards their target. Bohemond did not want to be late to the party.

The Norman forces landed in Lancashire, England, in April 1142. It appeared that the Normans were indeed the first arrivals- but Bohemond could already see some small Lollard armies in the North, having a fine time inside Scottish border. In time, the number grew. Bohemond, seeing a chance for glorious battle, raced to meet them.

1604444088694.png

Arrival safely in the English lands

Until the opposing forces met at Dumfries. The forces were almost equal. Almost. Normans had 9488 soldiers while the opposing force had 8870 soldiers. What was curious was the enemy general. The small force of Count Mormael of Oriel, the vassal of the King Shaw of Scotland in Ireland, lollard to the core, was the leader of this combined enemy force. And the leader of Mormael’s forces was none other than Prince Mikulaš of Bohemia, Bohemond’s son in law. How did the Mandean heretic of a prince end up in the court of Lollard Count is anyone’s guess.

Bohemond did offer him a chance to defect. After all, Muriella was all alone in Palermo, waiting for his husband, but the Prince declined. The following day, the Normans charged. The Norman heavy hitters, 16 knights, gathered and charged the right flank of the enemy. And as we all know, Norman charges can be devastating. Just 16 knights and their followers ploughed into the enemy levies. Brushed them aside, stomped them under, until the left flank was no more. Then, they turned around and flanked the center, while the rest of the Norman troops charged. This was enough for the enemy to crumble and pull back.

1604444113281.png

Hello, son-in-law!

Again, it was Bohemond’s military genius and the power of the Norman knights that saved the day. About 500 Normans perished, while the enemy lost nearly 3000. A glorious battle on all accounts and an appropriate start of the war. Also, while the main massacre score went to Duke Alfons of Alexandria, Prince Drogo, the future heir, only 22 at the time, distinguished himself in the battle, personally carving up 114 men. It was 14th of June, 1142. Normans had just won their first major battle in the Haggis Crusade

1604444136122.png

Prince Drogo, the killer of 114 men

Meanwhile, Anfroi of Gabes, the former Lollard, was wounded seriously in the battle. It appears that the Duke will soon perish from this world.

1604444163555.png

Former Lollard being wounded by current Lollard

By the end of August, Normans got themselves a first foothold in the area as the castle of Annandale fell. At the same time, first other crusaders, namely the Papal forces, were stopped in making a landing in Carrick. Nevermind them though. Normans have a head start.

In November 1142, Normans took over Teviotdale. Second castle for the Normans. Meanwhile, the enemy had splintered into smaller units, maneuvering around the Papal (now, nearly 13000) and Norman forces.

Of these, Bohemond managed to corner about 2000 of enemy soldiers, led by Erlend, man serving Earl of Argyll. In the following battle of Penicuick, taking place on 2nd of December 1142, Bohemond managed to kill off all the enemy forces, plus capture 6 knights, including Erlend himself.

1604444204358.png

The enemy, maneuvering around

Then, since they were there already, the Normans took Lothian and the barony of Edinburgh and moved on to Linlithgowshire. Meanwhile, mostly Papal forces blanketed the southern provinces of Scotland. At the same time, an enemy army was spotted. Fresh off the boats, all of them- 13 000 soldiers. Bohemond sensed an opportunity and marched out to meet them in the field of battle. 600 got off, rest were forced to face the Normans in Teviotdale. .

Again, it was Mikulaš of Bohemia leading the Lollards. Again, Bohemond offered him a chance to come to Palermo. Again, he refused. Now, Bohemond had really managed to capture the enemy with their pants down. Though the number of enemies was much greater than the number of Normans, their little trip through the sea ruined pretty much everything. Still sea-shaken, the scots were not so much of an opposition as it could be. And thus, little over 8000 Normans versus little over 12 000 Scots.

1604444369937.png

The numbers are not in Norman favor- but the odds definitely are.

By the end of the day, almost 4000 Scots perished in the battle of Tevidotale. It was a costly battle for the Normans as well, who lost nearly a 1000 soldiers. But good timing, good soldiers and the military genius of Bohemond ensured that the Normans were outnumbered, on offensive, but were still victorious without a doubt. As for Drogo, he scored the highest number of kills this time. After the battle, Normans captured quite a lot, including the poor Mikulaš.

1604444421324.png

Drogo showing off even more!

Bohemond felt mercy and released him soon afterwards. After all, he was his son-in-law.

As for the war, after the Battle of Tevidotale, the Lollards lost their will to fight. The remnants of the Scottis armies were somewhere else, while the Normans and the other Crusaders besieged the southern Scottish provinces.

By August 1143, the Lollards had lost their will to fight. The Catholic faith had won and the hotspot of Lollards in the North was defeated.

1604444443659.png

One more successful Crusade

1604444493836.png

Giselle does look impressive in her armor

Giselle de Hauteville was now Queen of Scotland. The eldest child of Bohemond was now a Queen of her own rights.

Bohemond and the rest of the Normans left soon after the war, leaving Giselle to her fate. Bohemond hugged her eldest and wished her well.

“You know, I cannot come to your aid,” he said

Giselle just nodded. “Far too far from Palermo, I know.”

She shivered. “You know, August here is like October in Palermo. It will take some time to get used to... and the winters...”

Bohemond nodded. “Just remember, this is what our ancestors lived in- if it makes you feel better.”

“Not really,” replied Giselle.

“I guess not,” replied Bohemond. “But i’m sure that despite the weather, you shall do well. You’re my daughter after all!”

They hugged again. Giselle leaned closer and whispered: “Thanks, Dad! Not every day father gives his daughter a Kingdom, be it a Kingdom in the North!”

Then, Bohemond left. Giselle watched as the elderly King rode off, his army of Normans in tow. They both knew that most likely, they would not see each other again. That is a price you have to pay for power.

1604444470910.png

Giselle, the Queen of the Scots

Turbulent Priests

In February 1142, the lecherous archbishop, Oswolf, died of old age at the age of 73. That is the official story though. Unofficially, he was found at the company of a young wench and a barrel of wine and his heart could not take it no more. So yes, perhaps death of old age is an accurate description. Just leaves out some minor details.

The new priest, Misagenes, was useless. Why the Pope sent him to Bohemond was not really clear. Perhaps to get rid of the man? Just, Bohemond had to utter “Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest” and found out that plenty of people said “Yes, me”

1604444058872.png

Truly, a turbulent priest. Or at least incompetent

One of these nice people planted a spider in Misaganes’ bed. It was a painful and gruesome death. Worthy price for incompetence.

1604444240187.png

The price for incompetence is spiders

Just, the successor made Misagenes look like a genius. Gerald, the new Archbishop, was later used as an illustration in encyclopedias under “tool”. Apart from being a passable diplomat, the man had no redeeming qualities. And his learning skills- even Bohemond could speak better latin then he. That tells a lot.

So, once again, Bohemond had to utter “Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?” and once again, he found out that the answer was “Plenty will”. Gerald’s days were numbered too.

1604444347087.png

This one is even more turbulent

Last edited:
Going on a crusade while murdering Bishops at home. How very Norman.
And having Bohemond as a commander really turns the tables.

I just hope Giselle manages to do ok, because she is out of the diplomatic range. Totally on her own...

Oh my, a Crusade directed relatively close to where the Pope had in mind.

Sometimes, almost miracles happen :D

Well it seems that Hautvilles have to convince everyone that there are so many better way's of doing things I wonder how they go about their own lives.

Could be that their life is mostly convincing everyone else that there are so many better ways of doing things? :D

Seems the lure of the Lollard faith is feeble compared to the lure of the good graces of the king in the south!

Hmmm, more like lure of the Lollard faith is nothing compared to the wrath of the king in the south :p

A bit of haggis will do them good, I am sure of it! :D

What does not kill you can leave you horribly mutilated, right? :p

Another successful Crusade! Hopefully Giselle keeps things from burning down.

The hyper competence of the Normans shows through I only hope the north can hold by itself. Also it seems I have had a brain fart again to imply what the Normans do with their spare time that I didn't know. Instead it was the rest of the Christians who seem to be clueless as to what to do with their petty time on earth. Normans on the other hand spend their day's trying to fix their fellows empty headed attempts to be competent.

Such a sad goodbye in the North, but then again what a goodbye gift - a whole kingdom!

Seville and Amman
Seville and Amman

Perhaps it was not wise for Yaghmurasen to gain their independence from Maghreb. For this meant that their holdings in Iberia looked mighty tempting for the Normans- and not just the Normans. Once again, Bohemond had a little Christian competition as Galicians were also interested in the prime and loosely defended real estate. In December 1143, Normans declared war on Emir Yaghmurasen with a goal to kick them out of Iberia and claim the lands of Seville to themselves.

1604701009536.png

Perhaps independence was not the best idea, Emir?

Nothing much was going on at the war. Bohemond advanced unopposed, taking the enemy castles while the enemies were nowhere in sight.

In October 1144, Bohemond got into another war. No-one is certain how that really happened, but Grand Allmah Alptigin of the Persian Empire had apparently gone on a holy war against Arabia for five years now and for some reason, decided to involve the Normans in it as well.

1604701084263.png

How in hell did I get involved in a war that has been ongiong for 5 years?

Then, it was all quiet until in April 1145, Bohemond attacked the main force of Galicia in Seville. It is not nice to attack fellow Christians, sure. But it is also not nice for the fellow Christians to besiege a Norman-occupied city. The Norman superiority in numbers wasn’t that great, for Bohemond packed a little less then 5000 soldiers for this war, but the reputation of the King of Normans was enough to make the enemy falter and flee. The Galician invasion had failed.

Just in time too, for the allies of Galicia were marching to the rescue. Instead of joining the glorious battle and beating the Normans back, they were little slow on arrival and instead, met the routing allies and blood-thirsty Normans, itching for more. By the end of April, the only Christian army remaining in Seville lands was that of Bohemond.

1604701182399.png

Two Christian armies defeated

Finally, in May 1145, the Yaghmurasen force appeared. Sailed straight from their main base in Africa, they landed and put Nielba under siege. Bohemond marched to meet them in battle and by the end of May, Norrmans fought their most successful battle in the war, killing off an entire enemy army while losing only 39 soldiers.

1604701203832.png

The Muslim one as well

With this, the war of Seville was over. Emir Yaghmurasen was forced to give up all his lands in Iberia. To be fair, this wasn’t much- just three counties in Seville.

The lands went to Anselm. Grandchild of King Bohemond, son of Gisella and Humphrey, son of Queen Griselda. Fortunately, Anselm was anything but inbred. Extremely smart, strong as an ox and also, easy to look at. Unfortunately, the boy ruined his education, but still, he was a good man for the job. It was not just nepotism that got him the position.

1604701227089.png

Anselm. Not just nepotism

As for the Holy War for Arabia, the forces of Grand Allmah Alptigin appeared in the Duchy of Amman, lands that were indeed part of the Kingdom of Arabia. Nearly 3000 of enemy soldiers, split into two, for Amman was not the most hospitable of places. Bohemond traveled to the Holy Land and quickly assembled an army. In November, the first battle between Seljuks and Normans took place in Ma’ab. Well, to call it a battle is kind of overstating things. Alptigin was low on money and his forces were low on supplies. Also, outnumbered by the Normans. This was a slaughter, not a battle.

1604701286032.png

Undermanned, underpaid and undersupplied? A deadly combo

In December, Bohemond repeated this success against another enemy army in Jilat. 19 dead Normans versus 1618 dead Seljuks is a pretty good ratio. Also, Bohemond captured the son and heir of Alptigin, Beg Kutulug at the battle, ending the war decisively.

1604701323923.png

Second army defeated, son and heir captured

This finally forced Grand Allmah Alptigin to make peace, with him paying 206 gold to Bohemond in compensation and therefore, bringing him even more deeper into debt. Why the man thought involving the Normans in the war was a good idea, we may never know, but we know with certainty Alptigin cursed the day he made that call.

1604701347678.png

At least some gold came out of it

Royal Matters

In November 1143, the poor useless archbishop Gerald had an accident. He slipped and fell upon a knife. Some thirty times. Everyone in Sicily agreed that this was really tragic and that was that. The new Archbishop, Oswulf, came with an impressive beard and as impressive learning skills. Also, a young one, so for a long time, there would be no need for knife accidents in Palermo.

1604701050244.png

A tragic accident and much better replacement

In November 1144, Normans finally discovered an arched saddle, allowing the recruitment of heavy cavalry troops who were not the knights.

1604701124690.png

Almost done with the Early Medieval

In December 1144, the tragedy struck. Queen Giselle, having ruled over Scotland for one and half years, died. Of bubonic plague. It was totally unexpected, for she was just 47 years old. Bohemond grieved hard, for Giselle was his firstborn. His son, Anquetil, took over, but he was just 10. The prospects of rebellious lollards and unruly vassals did not make Bohemond confident that the Hauteville Scotland was going to hold, but that’s life. Or rather, there wasn’t anything Bohemond is able to do about it.

1604701146881.png

Your rule was unfortunately cut short, Giselle

In June 1145, Bohemond completed his military lifestyle, becoming a gallant strategist who likes to oversee things. And in the process, becoming even more amazing of a general.

1604701255370.png

The Perfect General

After the war, it was time for yet another pilgrimage for King Bohemond. This time, since he happened to be in the neighbourhood, he picked Jerusalem. Because, why not? There is nothing in the rules about going to your personal Dome of Rock. The journey was short and uneventful.

1604701368838.png

O Jerusalem. My Jerusalem!

Old Enemies

The Byzantine Empire and the Normans had almost never been on friendly terms. Wary of each other at best, and at times, Normans and the vassals of the Byzantines had been at war- and Normans were busy ravaging the Byzantine lands on occasion or two.

Thus far though, neither side had been in an open conflict. A blessing for Robert Guiscard, sure, for his fledgling Kingdom would have had a hard time against the full might of the Byzantine Empire. As for Bohemond, he picked the easier targets. For the Muslims were plentiful and the wars were over Duchies, not single counties.

But the clash of the nations would be inevitable. For though the Normans were growing, so were the Byzantines. They had re-taken Near East, expanded into Hungary, got themselves huge areas in the coast of the Black Sea. And expanded back into Egypt. A playground Bohemond considers to be his.

In July 1146, Bohemond finally declared war on a young Basileus, Michal VIII Doukas of the Byzantine Empire, claiming the county of Al-Buharia, in the Duchy of Delta, to be Norman. Two of the most powerful nations in Europe shall clash over a single county, and countless lives will be lost over a small patch of land. But this conflict was long coming.

1604701394359.png

Finally, it is time for the two giants to meet in the field of battle

I'm still not certain on how I got involved in the Holy War for Arabia, but details, details. As long as the enemy was foolish enough to attack the Normans, it is their fault.

Also, poor Giselle. To catch a plague almost instantly after becoming the Queen... and then, leaving Scotland into hands of a 10-year old boy. With revolts popping up, with vassals feeling rebellious. I'm afraid the Scottish crown is not going to be in the Hauteville hands for long. And out of my diplo range, so pretty much nothing I can do about it.

Another successful Crusade! Hopefully Giselle keeps things from burning down.

Well, apparently not. Unfortunately.

The hyper competence of the Normans shows through I only hope the north can hold by itself. Also it seems I have had a brain fart again to imply what the Normans do with their spare time that I didn't know. Instead it was the rest of the Christians who seem to be clueless as to what to do with their petty time on earth. Normans on the other hand spend their day's trying to fix their fellows empty headed attempts to be competent.

Heh, and i'm certain that in time, the Normans will take the attempts to fix the heads of the clueless people more and more seriously :p

Such a sad goodbye in the North, but then again what a goodbye gift - a whole kingdom!

Truly, a royal gift! :D

I don't love Anquetil's odds.

The Basileus will never know what hit him.

Endboss
Endboss

Thus, the war with the What’s Left of the Roman Empire began.

Bohemond gathered his army in Alexandria and marched to the neighboring province of Al-Buharia. This time, Bohemond raised a much bigger army than usual, reaching over 8000 soldiers. Still plenty of peasants in reserve though.

In November 1146, Al-Buhaira fell. Bohemond captured the ruler, Countess Theopano, gained some money and moved on to besiege the rest of the Delta.

At the same time, Byzantium reacted. Remember the sole province of the Normans in the Balkans? Took during the time of Robert Guiscard, called Pomorje, part of Ducky of Duklja. Once, it was in the border of Croatia and Byzantium, but now it is a sole Norman province, completely engulfed by Byzantine lands.

The most logical target as well. So that’s where the Byzantine army ended up. In November, the Byzantine army of 10 000 put Pomorje under siege. In April 1147, the city fell. A tragedy for Countess Giselle, but a minor inconvenience for Bohemond. The main question was- what shall the Byzantines do next? They boarded their ships, but the destination was unknown. Would they sail across the strait to mainland Italy? Attempt a landing in Palermo? Or do the most stupid thing and sail to Egypt?

In May 1147, the question was answered as the Byzantine fleet was spotted sailing south of Lecce, with a course that definitely went towards Egypt, not Sicily. No doubt trying to take the occupied counties of the Delta back from these upstart Normans and show them that no-one messes with the Roman Empire.

1604789442819.png

It is official! Pomorje has fallen and the Byzantines are sailing towards Egypt

Just what the King had been waiting for. Bohemond ordered another army to be raised in Cairo, with every able-bodied man inside the Kingdom travelling there. In addition, Bohemond did something that has not been done since the time of Robert Guiscard and his war with Matilda of Tuscany- he hired mercenaries. A Serbian company, with pikeman and konni horseman, light and very effective riders. An extra 1700 soldiers.

1604789487231.png

Some mercenaries, just to guarantee the result

Byzantines landed in June 1147. By that time, Bohemond had complete control over the counties in Delta and a total of over 17 000 soldiers. The Byzantines split their army into two again. One took on the siege of Al-Buhaira, the other marched to Alexandria. Bohemond marched towards the one in Al-Buhaira.

1604789522954.png

Landing and splitting up?

As the Norman forces approached, the other Byzantine army abandoned the siege of Alexandria before it even properly began and marched to the rescue. In the beginning though, Bohemond faced only half of the Byzantine army. Led by Doux Leon of Anatolikon. Also, a general of great brilliance and a great warrior as well, but not nearly half the man Bohemond was.

When the rest of the Byzantines arrived, Bohemond and the Normans had already managed to cut down the defending army to about half. Add to the fact that Byzantines had recently disembarked, that the Basileus was a bit low on the money and that Bohemond was truly without equal- the Byzantines found them fighting in a battle they just could not win.

The Battle of Rashid was the biggest one the Normans had fought yet. With their army about 17000, their opposition about 11 000. And it was a total victory. Normans, outnumbering the enemy and Bohemond using his troops in a way that proved the most advantageous, the Byzantines really had no chance. Soon, they stopped fighting and started retreating. In the end, the enemy lost nearly half of their troops- over 5000. Norman losses were just tenth of that.

1604789554919.png

A glorious victory

The Byzantines retreated. Bohemond, knowing full well that the only logical place they could go is towards Byzantine Sinai and perhaps, from there through Norman Jerusalem towards Byzantine Syria, went in pursuit.

It was in early October when Bohemond cornered the remains of the Byzantine army in Warrada, Sinai. This time, the army was commanded by Basileus Michal VIII Doukas himself. Unfortunately for him, he was nearly not as good as Doux Leon.

Bohemond had about the same number of troops, while Michal had only half of his army left. To his credit, Basileus did his best to give ample resistance. He stayed with his men, he fought with his men, like a warrior-emperor of the old times. Just, there was nothing much he could do to turn the tides. His men were demoralized from recent defeat. Outnumbered. And scared of the Normans.

On 4th of October 1147, the Byzatine army ceased to be. Normans killed almost 6000, while losing just 255 men.

1604789582851.png

The end of the Byzantine army

The news of how easily the Normans defeated the Byzantines travelled across the Christian and Muslim worlds alike. The Legend of King of Sicily, feared by his opponents, revered by the rest. Until someone pointed out that during his numerous wars and countless battles, the King had never lost a single one. Bohemond the Undefeated, he was called from now on. Bohemond, being the Norman king that he was, abandoned his former callsign “the Anointed” without a shred of regret and adopted the new one instantly.

1604789623496.png

Bohemond the Undefeatable has a nice ring to it...

As for the war, it dragged on for a little bit more. Until by the end of December, Basileus finally gave up. Poor Michal Doukas, losing an entire army over a single county.

1604789651762.png

Victory

The new owner of Al-Buharia was Adelard, second son of heretical prince Mikulaš of Bohemia and Muriella, Bohemond’s daughter.

1604789340259.png

At least something good came out of the Heretic Prince

Defeating the Undefeated

After the war with the Byzantines, the health of the King deteriorated fast. After all, he was already over 70 years old. Bohemond felt like his time had come and thus, he called upon his family and loved ones and said good-bye to all.

He shared his wisdom with his children, giving them final advice. He said his good-byes to his beloved wife, who had stood by his side all these years. He gave gifts to his friends and his loyal knights. Then, he feasted, prayed and got his final rites.

On 11th March 1148, the King closed his eyes for the final time. Despite being a warrior like no other, he died a peaceful death of old age.

1604789376131.png

Farewell, Bohemond. You have done well.

After ruling the Kingdom of Sicily for over 55 years, it was an end of an era. Three times the crusader, liberator of Jerusalem, the man who ended the Muslim threat to Europe finally departed from this world.

Considered to be a saint by more then some, his funeral was attended by many, with a lot of people hoping for a miracle or two. And their hopes were not in vain, for it was said during Bohemond’s funeral, several people were healed of several conditions, resulting in a steady stream of pilgrims to the Cathedral of Palermo, hoping to find the grace of God by praying to the remains of the King.

His son, Drogo, took the throne at the age of 28. Already a grown man, known for his skill of battle and skill in battle. The succession was in good hands. He got mostly everything. Duchy of Sicily, the lands of Palestine, the Cities of Cairo and Cordoba.

1604789295687.png

King Drogo, his wife Yefimia and Frery, his only child

Guy de Hauteville, the eldest, got Duchy of Amman. Core lands of the crown were safely in the hands of the new King.

1604789407701.png

The crown lands are safely in the hands of Drogo

Thus died King Bohemond the Undefeated, defeated only by the greatest adversary of all- time.

A good analogy for this situation is an RPG where you do a lot of sidequests and such and then breeze through the endboss. I was considering Byzantium to be a good challenge for Bohemond in the end, but well, looks like the Normans got a bit too strong. Well, taking advantage of the fact that the Byzantines landed right in front of numerically superior Norman army help the initial phase, of course.

At least the King could see the victory with his own eyes, before moving to a better place.

Here's to hoping that Drogo could surpass his father.

I don't love Anquetil's odds.

Yeah, the Norman kings of Scotland don't look too permanent at the moment...

The Basileus will never know what hit him.

Hmmm, i'm pretty sure the Basileus knew exactly what hit him :D

Bohemond the Undefeated is much more appropriate nickname for him, just before passing on. Drogo has some massive shoes to fill, but if he has his father's health then he'll have plenty of time to do so.

Drogo can't but pale in comparison to this legendary king.