Stellaris DD#14 Stellaris: Console Edition and Next-Gen Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aceparadox

Community Manager (Stellaris)
Jan 9, 2020
Hello Stellaris: Console Edition Fans!

AC here again, Stellaris Community Manager! We know a lot of you have questions about Stellaris: Console Edition and the Next-gen Consoles (HYPE!), so we’ve put together a handy FAQ to answer the most pressing questions that the Community has asked since they’ve been announced.

Just because something isn’t mentioned here, please don’t jump to the conclusion that we aren’t working on it! There’s still lots of things happening with Stellaris: Console Edition behind the scenes, that we’re not ready to talk about yet, but that we think you’re going to be super hyped for!

Without further ado, to the FAQ:

Q: Will Stellaris be playable on next-gen consoles?

A: Yes! Players who have previously purchased Stellaris: Console edition will be able to play on next-gen consoles through the built-in backward compatibility provided by the next-gen consoles, so long as they use their same login information and account.

Q: What does that mean for me as a player?
A: Your previous purchases of Stellaris Console Edition will carry over so long as you remain in the same “ecosystem.” Ex: if you bought Stellaris on PS4, you can play it on PS5 but not on Xbox Series X.

Q: I bought Stellaris for my PS4 / Xbox One a long time ago, will I have to repurchase the game for next-gen?
No! We’re happy to say that if you’ve bought Stellaris on previous generations of consoles, you'll be able to play it on the next-gen consoles from corresponding companies, with no additional charge. For example, if you bought Stellaris on PS4, you can play it on PS5 but not on Xbox Series X.

Q: I own a ton of Stellaris: Console DLC - will I have to repurchase those?
Nope! All your DLC will transfer so long as you stay in the same “ecosystem” (platform and region). For example, your PS4 DLC will work on Sony’s next-gen console and your Xbox One DLC will work on Microsoft’s next-gen console.

Q: I play Stellaris with my friends - if I am using a PS5 / Xbox series can I still play with my friends on PS4 / Xbox One if we’re in the same “ecosystem?”

Yes! You can play with anyone in the same “ecosystem” - if you’re on a Sony platform, you can play with others on a Sony platform (and same for Microsoft platforms).

Q: How about cross-play? Anything planned? I’d love to be able to play against my friends on PC?
This isn’t currently planned. It’s very difficult to execute and would introduce a number of complexities - we’d much prefer to focus on consistently delivering new content!

Q: Will we see larger galaxies (800 or 1000 stars) on next-gen consoles?
Sorry, no.. this is in order to keep next-gen consoles and current-gen consoles ability to play together!

Q: Will we see faster game speed settings with next-gen consoles?
The game will keep the same speed settings that are available on current consoles.

Q: Will we see the player/AI cap increased from 4 players/10 AI on next-gen consoles?

The same number of players and AI will be available on next-gen, but this does mean that current consoles can play together with next-gen players!

Q: Are you committing to long-term support of Stellaris: Console Edition?
Yes! As you know, we recently announced Expansion Pass 3 bringing Stellaris: Console Edition one step closer to its PC brethren. We plan to continue to support Stellaris: Console Edition, and while we can’t talk details as of yet, stay tuned for more!

Q: How about keyboard and mouse support?
No, we’ve optimized Stellaris Console Edition for play with each console’s controller - we will of course update this to next-gen controllers as needed, but in general, this will be the same Stellaris experience we’ve designed for controllers.

Q: Will there be modding support on next-gen consoles?
This is something we’re continuing to investigate. We will be sure to notify folks in advance before any future changes to the game.

Q: Will there be console commands/cheats/cheat menu added to next gen consoles?
No, this introduces too many variables that are difficult to control (and can lead to crashes). It’s just not viable for console and we want to preserve the Stellaris experience consistently for everybody.

Q: Will I be able to continue my saved game next-gen? Will there be a migration solution?
Yes, with a few caveats. The TLDR is that cloud saves on different platforms work differently, so players will need to ensure their settings enable cloud saves on both console generations (ex: PS4->PS5 or Xbox One -> Xbox Series X) to ensure their progress from the current version of Stellaris: Console Edition migrates across to next-generation consoles.

Q: Will I be able to play multiplayer cross-console generations? For example, can I play with my friend that has a PS4 if I have a PS5?
Yes, you will be able to play the current version of Stellaris: Console Edition across both generations of hardware and this will be enabled at launch!

That’s all folks, thanks so much for reading, and thank you for playing Stellaris: Console Edition!

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
They did say that just because something wasn't mentioned, doesn't mean it's not happening. I imagine the game will benefit from improved load times at least.
^^^ This on so many levels

Even IF they do decide to optimize the game for the new consoles it will likely be after Expansion Pass 3 is done...since that is their current priority [aside from trying to get console edition caught up to the PC version]

Then there comes a new problem...

That new optimized version of the game would likely need to be considered a separate entity
This would mean more than likely (because it is a separate entity) you'd need to repurchase the game and the dlc

That new optimized version of the game would likely need to be considered a separate entity
This would mean more than likely (because it is a separate entity) you'd need to repurchase the game and the dlc
Not necessarily. Many different studios and publishers are offering free(and paid) upgrades for current gen games that will be available for the next gen.
It will be up to Paradox if they do a next gen improvement whether or not to have customers pay for it. It could come with a Expansion that is next gen exclusive or as a free update

Reactions:
Much words little Substance.

Darkerspire

For those who keep giving the red crosses, there is very little in the post we had not already guessed, hence the little substance, what we need to read is that an enhanced version for the X Series is being considered, so we can have bigger maps, better late game performance etc. The X Series is bringing a console closer to a half decent PC, other companies are offering two versions of games why can't Paradox do the same? They are not exactly a small indie studio are they? Finish support for the current gen after the current expansion pass and move onto the next gen which should have a better chance of coping with such a processer intensive game.

Darkerspire

Reactions:
They did say that just because something wasn't mentioned, doesn't mean it's not happening. I imagine the game will benefit from improved load times at least.

Improved load times? One can only presume you are at a low digit range in in your growth cycle, load times are hardly very important are they? SCE loads once and for new games any further time is spent setting up a map which is down to the processer, loading a saved game in this day and age hardly takes any time at all, beyond thirty years ago before consoles reallly started being a viable gaming option making a cup of tea was generally the way to go whilst waiting for a game to load.

Darkerspire

• 1Haha
Reactions:
^^^ This on so many levels

Even IF they do decide to optimize the game for the new consoles it will likely be after Expansion Pass 3 is done...since that is their current priority [aside from trying to get console edition caught up to the PC version]

Then there comes a new problem...

All games will
Oh my mistake, I thought they had to add that feature manually. Thats really cool!

Improved load times? One can only presume you are at a low digit range in in your growth cycle, load times are hardly very important are they? SCE loads once and for new games any further time is spent setting up a map which is down to the processer, loading a saved game in this day and age hardly takes any time at all, beyond thirty years ago before consoles reallly started being a viable gaming option making a cup of tea was generally the way to go whilst waiting for a game to load.

Darkerspire
So first of all, don't be a dick.

Secondly faster load times are always a good thing. As someone with much less spare time for games than I would like, being able to easily play in small bursts is really helpful. I appreciate that won't matter to everyone and that's fine, but it is absolutely a benefit.

Reactions:
Hello Stellaris: Console Edition Fans!
That’s all folks, thanks so much for reading, and thank you for playing Stellaris: Console Edition!

Thank you.. And please consider adding an option for entering a sort of “Cinematic view” mode and/or “Photo” mode for Console Editions ; )

The atmospheric Stellaris would be so beautiful to experience in short immersions without any control tab, icon, menu bar, etc. Would be like a sci-fi ‘brain pause’!

• 1Like
Reactions:
But bigger galaxies / more ai for next gen would be really nice. Old consoles just can't join these games.
as i said before

"IF" they decide to optimize for next gen, it isn't like they can flip a switch, or copy/paste what they have and tweak it to better fit the systems

they'd basically need to make a new version that's exclusive to next gen consoles [this would take time and money]

and then there's the issue of us having to possibly repurchase [in some fashion] both the game and the dlc again

granted they won't consider this option until at the very least Expansion Pass 3 is done [i.e. once both Lithoids and Megacorp are out on consoles]

• 1Like
Reactions:
They can actually improve the game for next generation while allowing players on either console generation. I've seen other games do this. Basically on the Series X I can set the galaxy to be larger with more AI. However if I want to play with a friend on the old consoles I can simply host & change the size of the galaxy to the current large size same with AI.

It can be done look at Space Engineers & minecraft playing those on either xbox you can see there's differences.

Also it would be nice to have either a performance mode or just a more stable experience for the late game FPS takes a significant hit on current gen consoles.

Hope you guys consider new options for new consoles it'll help sell them & options in settings for performance or visuals would be cool sort of like Sony has for its first party games.

Either way thanks for all your hard work.

Regards

Reactions:
They can actually improve the game for next generation while allowing players on either console generation. I've seen other games do this. Basically on the Series X I can set the galaxy to be larger with more AI. However if I want to play with a friend on the old consoles I can simply host & change the size of the galaxy to the current large size same with AI.

It can be done look at Space Engineers & minecraft playing those on either xbox you can see there's differences.

Also it would be nice to have either a performance mode or just a more stable experience for the late game FPS takes a significant hit on current gen consoles.

Hope you guys consider new options for new consoles it'll help sell them & options in settings for performance or visuals would be cool sort of like Sony has for its first party games.

Either way thanks for all your hard work.

Regards
The reason the game isn't changing is because they are just talking about the backwards compatible version, so it will just get some improved performance. They have not yet announced an optimized version for the new consoles.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I understand that. I'm just considering ways they could add more for next gen while allowing us to still play with people on current generation :).
actually I think they said somewhere they couldn't do both

Stellaris is...finicky at best and spaghetti code at worst

if they made a new version that had things pc has [i.e. faster speeds, more players, etc] that it would essentially be a completely different version compared to what console currently has that they wouldn't be able to do the cross generational play

• 1Like
Reactions: